PDA

View Full Version : The Anathame

Captain Stern
13-10-2007, 21:30
Did Fulgrim use the Anathame to kill Ferrus Manus?

Do we learn any more about the weapon in the books released after Flight of the Eisenstein (that's what I've read up to)? Does it appear to have any limits (what couldn't it kill?)? Do you think it does?

How many of these are floating around the 40k universe? Is the one stolen the only one? Was it created by that alien race or was it some kind of relic they found?

Norminator
13-10-2007, 21:38
SPOILER ALERT

Fulgrim used a daemon sword he got from the homeworld of the Laer to kill Ferrus - it possessed him just before the killing blow.

We don't, as far as I can remember, learn anything more about the Anathame, other than (IIRC) Fulgrim receiving it at the very end of Fulgrim.

The idea of the Anathame, again as far as I can remember, is that it was created by the xenos allies of the Interex, and that they had more - but they were considered so dangerous the Interex had sealed them all away.

I really hope GW expand on the Interex more. It would nice to see a lost/divergent form of humanity rediscovered on the Galactic fringe and bought into conflict with the Imperium.

ryng_sting
14-10-2007, 11:17
In fact it possessed him afterwards - it persuaded him to do the deed, and took over his body when he fell into suicidal depression immediately afterwards.

Fulgrim gave the weapon to Fabius Bile, btw.

Eetion
14-10-2007, 11:43
I thought they dueled with the weapons that each had made? I cant remember too well, my memories fuzzy.

Luthien
14-10-2007, 12:26
yeah that was my impression but i havent read fulgrim ina while

bigred
14-10-2007, 14:01
The Laer sword after being "emptied" into Fulgrim, was passed on to Lucius and he still uses it to this day.

Captain Stern
14-10-2007, 15:13
If this daemon is so powerful (as Warseer members who've read the book have told me he is) then how did he end up trapped in a sword on a world ruled by relatively not so powerful aliens?

Witchfire
14-10-2007, 15:14
If this daemon is so powerful (as Warseer members who've read the book have told me) then how did he end up trapped in a sword on a world ruled by relatively not so powerful aliens?

i would assume that someone with a little bit of occult knowledge count summon a daemon and bind it into an object, its ricky but doable, other fluff confirms this.

Norminator
14-10-2007, 15:23
Or maybe the daemon deliberately put itself in the sword knowing, through warp magic, that Fulgrim would pick up the sword at a later date?

Witchfire
14-10-2007, 15:27
Or maybe the daemon deliberately put itself in the sword knowing, through warp magic, that Fulgrim would pick up the sword at a later date?

possible also, but a bit doubtful, from the fluff i've read living in a sword aint too fun

The pestilent 1
14-10-2007, 15:36
Spoilerroos.

Fulgrim received the Anathame from Horus, after Fabius Bile retrieved it from the Apothacary.
The Daemon sword he recovered from a Temple of Slaanesh on Laer.

He gave the Laer sword to Lucius after the Drop site massacre.

He killed Ferrus with the Daemon sword, but initially battled him with the Hammer.

Fulgrim is Still in possession of the Anathame and will presumably be the weapon he mortally wounds Guilliman.

Captain Stern
14-10-2007, 16:49
I know that daemons can be summoned and bound into weapons (usually against their will), but I always got the impression that these were, on the whole, weaker daemons (weaker Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons I mean)my reasoning being that the greatest daemons would be too smart to let it happen to them. Not that it would be impossible for this to happen, of course, but it wouldn't be common. If it ever did happen an explanation would be nice.

This would fit in nicely with the chaos plan we heard about in 'False Gods' that 'was put in motion hundreds of thousands/ millions of years ago by the Chaos Powers' (I paraphrase). Even so, there should have been some explanation. Bad form, Graham Macneil.

Witchfire
14-10-2007, 17:02
I know that daemons can be summoned and bound into weapons (usually against their will), but I always got the impression that these were, on the whole, weaker daemons (weaker Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons I mean)my reasoning being that the greatest daemons would be too smart to let it happen to them. Not that it would be impossible for this to happen, of course, but it wouldn't be common. If it ever did happen an explanation would be nice.

This would fit in nicely with the chaos plan we heard about in 'False Gods' that 'was put in motion hundreds of thousands/ millions of years ago by the Chaos Powers' (I paraphrase). Even so, there should have been some explanation. Bad form, Graham Macneil.

no, look at abbadon's sword, it contains an unwilling powerful daemon.

and the stronger the daemon is the the harder it gets but daemons cannot refuse to be summoned, in the BL book death's legacy some sigmarite preists attempt to summon a massive nurgle demigod to stop it posessing rudi, and the daemon gets summoned into a temple of sigmar so it doesnt get a choice

Captain Stern
14-10-2007, 17:07
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, only that weapons containing the most powerful daemon princes of all would be rare compared to weapons containing daemon princes of less magnitude.

I haven't read Fulgrim, but it did say somewhere that the daemon was one of the most powerful of its kind, right?

Witchfire
14-10-2007, 17:15
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, only that weapons containing the most powerful daemon princes of all would be rare compared to weapons containing daemon princes of less magnitude.

I haven't read Fulgrim, but it did say somewhere that the daemon was one of the most powerful of its kind, right?

daemon weapons are rare enough as it is so that would make sense, that only a tiny number have really ancient daemons in like fulgrim's weapon.

hooray- we agreed on something at last! :p

Captain Stern
14-10-2007, 17:19
Heh. I was getting worried there for a second though.

LexxBomb
15-10-2007, 08:55
yer one of the most powerful, but not the most powerful.

pookie
15-10-2007, 09:24
I really hope GW expand on the Interex more. It would nice to see a lost/divergent form of humanity rediscovered on the Galactic fringe and bought into conflict with the Imperium.

Doubt that any survived after Horus was attacked by them, im fairly sure that he would have had them wiped out.

Vaulkhar
15-10-2007, 11:46
On the subject of Fulgrim, was I the only one who thought he was being a complete prat? Suerly one of the most basic rules of the 40K universe is that you do not touch any weapons found in an unknown temple occupied by hostile beings who really have better things to do than engage in a massive orgy (like, say, fighting or running), yet do so anyway.

pookie
15-10-2007, 11:55
On the subject of Fulgrim, was I the only one who thought he was being a complete prat? Suerly one of the most basic rules of the 40K universe is that you do not touch any weapons found in an unknown temple occupied by hostile beings who really have better things to do than engage in a massive orgy (like, say, fighting or running), yet do so anyway.

thats in the 40K certainly not in 31K, you need to remember that the Warp and daemons were seen as a Xenos race and very little was known about them or what they were capable of.

Captain Stern
15-10-2007, 14:51

In False Gods Macneil made even Horus seem like a bit of an idiot.

The pestilent 1
15-10-2007, 14:59
In False Gods Macneil made even Horus seem like a bit of an idiot.

Yeah, woe betide anyone who is preyed upon by a millenia old Being of pure emotion, I mean, what the hell chance do they have of hitting you exactly were you are weak.

Captain Stern
15-10-2007, 15:07
Yeah, woe betide anyone who is preyed upon by a millenia old Being of pure emotion, I mean, what the hell chance do they have of hitting you exactly were you are weak.

Are you being sarcastic? I'm not too great at detecting it I'm afraid. What did a Chaos Power (if that's who you're refering to as 'a millenia old Being of pure emotion') have to do, for example, with Horus' decision to blindly launch an attack on Eugan Temba's ship on the Davinite moon (with no discernable tactics being employed) even though he chastised Eidolon for doing exactly the same on Murder earlier in the campaign?