PDA

View Full Version : Old 4/5th edition % Army Lists

nandalf
13-10-2007, 23:31
Hello all!
My friend and i were reminiscing on the olden days, and couldn't remember the army list % allowances; and i couldn't find my old blue high elf book :cries:, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for us?
That is; what were the Percentage Restrictions on Characters/Warmachines/Infantry etc.

Thanks,
Nandalf[Ben]

Urgat
13-10-2007, 23:44
iirc, it was 50% max for chacaters and 25% for warmachines, I'm pretty sure for characters, but don't quote me for warmachines though.

Mad Makz
14-10-2007, 00:22
50% Characters, 25% Warmachines, 25% Allies, 25% Monsters, and I believe minimum 25% units.

Bretonnians had a 75% character allowance.

dalakh
14-10-2007, 03:08
50% Characters, 25% Warmachines, 25% Allies, 25% Monsters, and I believe minimum 25% units.

Bretonnians had a 75% character allowance.

That's the right allowance composition. However, some units are 1+ so you need to field at least 1 unit of that type while some units have some restriction on numbers, mostly 0-1. For High Elves, the 0-1 units are WLoC, SM, PG and DP. If you are using the 4ed book (the one with Teclis on a red dragon on the cover), then shadow warriors are also 0-1.

Temmy
14-10-2007, 03:08
The old 25% for warmachines was teh hurty.

When fourth edition came out, it came with a little booklet that had all the army lists in it.

High Elves could purchase repeating bolt throwers that shot several bolts at once for 50 points. Since we used to play 4000 point battles, my silly cheese monster friend would buy 8 of them :cries::cries:

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-10-2007, 04:57
Yup, 50 points for four bolt thrower shots that penetrated ranks and ignored armour. It was maybe just a bit overdone, but then, stuff like the Organ Gun was just as crazy!

Tutore
14-10-2007, 12:36
The old 25% for warmachines was teh hurty.

When fourth edition came out, it came with a little booklet that had all the army lists in it.

High Elves could purchase repeating bolt throwers that shot several bolts at once for 50 points. Since we used to play 4000 point battles, my silly cheese monster friend would buy 8 of them :cries::cries:

Interesting thing was that all the volley negated 100% armour, as the usual bolt thrower, this is why it was feared by chaos players, which warriors (and knights) cost that much...

Temmy
14-10-2007, 13:45
What really sucked was at that time I had a dwarf army, with low amounts of artillery.

I think the first game lasted 2 turns lol

chivalrous
14-10-2007, 23:12

There was eventually an errata in 5th edition that increased the price to 100 points per Bolt Thrower. That was 1995 if I remember correctly, the year I started playing

T10
15-10-2007, 07:12
Well, I'll say this for GW: They turned managed to introduce a vast improvement in game balance and playability, but still kept the game fun!

I can't really say I miss much from the 4th ed. way of things. I was never into setting up IDIC armies that experimented with extremes. I kind of miss the option of putting a Goblin Big Boss on a Dragon, but it really isn't a big loss. :)

TheDarkDaff
15-10-2007, 07:22
I have this nagging feeling that you were required to have 25% Infantry rather than Units (in the case of Brets it was at least 25% Cavalry). It wasn't so bad if you didn't go out of your way to abuse the system. I remember you were limited by the number of magic items you could take rather than the points cost of them.

Tutore
15-10-2007, 12:00
The rules for magic and magic items were completely unbalanced, let's say bad. You could give a champion a 100 points worth magic item for example. Undead were almost impossible to beat if the player used a couple of magic items (book of secrets, the forbidden sceptre...).

mav1971
15-10-2007, 14:46
The game is much more balanced now. People would spend so many points on characters so that there whole army was 3 or 4 expensive characters and 3 units.

Pez
16-10-2007, 15:07
I loved the infinite possibilities available in the old lists. I once played a game where I fielded an Undead army of two units of 15 Mummies each, lead by Settra and a Tomb King, along with a couple of chariots and some carrion. Mummies were 45 points each, so that was a very small army.

Much prefer the new system though. Far less open to abuse, even if it means I can't have a unit of 5 wraiths to make up my Units percentage.