PDA

View Full Version : A Rogue Trader's personal army?

studderigdave
14-10-2007, 01:13
ok, so i need a new pet project but i dont feel like commiting to another amry, so i have been wanting to make a Rogue Trader style army. i picture a charismatic rogue trader that has many contacts and good ties with many organizations, but is not above pirating and illegal stuff on the side, much like the character tobias maxamillian from the ESSENE from the eisenhorn books.

i picture his personal force to have memebers the extend past the realms of normal humans, and to have some really odd members. so im looking for opinions on that should and shouldnt be considered for squads to include in y rogue trader force.

so far im starting with a squad of renegade striking scorpions with an incubi exarch (uses eldar rules of course). anyone care to lend some input on what couldnt and couldnt be in this force (obviously no necrons, loyalist space marines and stuff like that)

thanks

Green Shoes
14-10-2007, 03:49
I'd make up all sorts of new types of Xenos, and use counts-as. Things like big Gorillas for Servitors, and different types for Sisters/Grey Knights and Stormies.

The Rogue Trader style army is a great way to utilize the =I= codecies to make all sorts of cool counts-as.

starlight
14-10-2007, 04:09
Agreed. The WH or DH books (I'm partial to the WHs, but that's me) will likely give you the best starting point with lots of human (or near human) options, and the ability to call in the IG resouces for the big guns. Much like a Dogs of War army in WFB, it is is an opportnity to really go to town on your conversions and painting. :)

Good luck. :)

studderigdave
14-10-2007, 07:35
the thing is i really want to avoid count as with this one, i already run a pretty large deffwing as it is. im lookin more for a quasi ruleset that lets me pick units from a few codex, and maybe a base staline for the rogue trader himself.

this all of course would be for casual play only, which is all i do anyway.

Tehkonrad
14-10-2007, 08:38
i like the scoprion idea perhaps some DE?

BigRob
14-10-2007, 10:53
Have a flick around the Inquisitor site, theres loads of aliens, mutants and wierdos in the Inquisitors retinue, so why not in the Rogue Traders. Kroot, Blood Axe Orks, Jokaero, That wierd alien bounty huter guy Kashrakk.

You could really go to town and have all kinds of crazyness like a grav tank or AT AT walker thats a lemen Russ. In the background it described Rogue Traders having Guardsmen and even marines under thier command, so theres all sorts you can throw in.

Good Luck

t-tauri
14-10-2007, 10:58
The old Rogue Trader era Chapter Approved had an army list for the Inquisitor's retinue. It could include attached marines, IG and Squats. A witchhunter or daemon hunter list with allied SM and guard would be a good legal option.

An RT operating outside Imperial space could have units of all sorts of Xenos mercenaries working for him.

TwilightOdyssey
14-10-2007, 14:17
I am putting together (slowly, due to the expense involved) a proxy army similar to this. It is a Rogue Trader's personal security, adjunct staff, enforcement and procurement departments, using the Witch Hunter's list.

For my Rogue Trader, I am using a Slann, as well as a a whole host of Necromunda, Mordheim and Fantasy models with 40K conversions. For example, for one of my Warriors, I took an Empire Priest and gave him a melta gun for one hand:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/TwilightOdyssey/Warhammer/Retinue.jpg

For Inquisitorial Stormtroopers I am using Arbites Enforcers, who have that excellent "security force" look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/TwilightOdyssey/Warhammer/StormtrooperUnitB.jpg

... and various Sisters of Sigmar/Dark Elf models for my Sisters of Battle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/TwilightOdyssey/Warhammer/SistersofBattle1.jpg

For Apocalypse, I will be scratch building the Rogue Trader's personal flyers and Titan. (He has unlimited resources and connections)

It's a fun, long-term project for me that's very characterful and full of fluffy elements, as well as being legal as salt for regular 40K play. Apocalypse is where I can really let the army breathe as far as the background goes, though.

Temprus
14-10-2007, 16:05
When I came back to the hobby earlier this year, I had planned to make a small/modest Rogue Trader retinue for old time sake. A few weeks later, it had become a plan to make an army but no one Codex could field it as I imagined. Now we have Apocalypse! Sadly it is all boxed up until I can get the non-hobby section of my office up so I can use the hobby side.

studderigdave
14-10-2007, 16:22
can anyone think of a backstory for a rogue trader who would have alot of ties with a corsair eldar fleet?