PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Baneblade

Anomander2112
14-10-2007, 02:02
Would it be wrong to paint a baneblade in your marine chapter colours? Was discussing it with a mate and he suggested that as all marine chapters probably have a homeworld planetary defence force it might make sense. Just wondered what peoples views were!

Wraithbored
14-10-2007, 02:05
Well who is anybody to tell you what you should do with the minis you bought, but my personal oppinion is that the Baneblade is an IG tank. But in Apocalypse you can ally with IG anyway so the point is moot as for normal games I'm sure any good opponent would allow it if you only present the idea beforehand.

Ofaloaf
14-10-2007, 02:07
An IG force with the same colors as the SM chapter based on its planet? Sure.

A Baneblade used in a SM force as a SM tank? No, that'd be mixing codex forces and fluff-wise, Space Marines and regular folk are different sizes- they would've had to completely rebuild the innards of the tank for Space Marines to fit inside.

Tulun
14-10-2007, 02:10
Yes, as long as the adjoined guard are also of the same colours... sure.

Anomander2112
14-10-2007, 02:11
I wasn't so much thinking of it as a marine tank, just in marine colours. Not sure how a baneblade would look in purple and red though.....

Quentin
14-10-2007, 02:13
Personally, I really don't like the idea. A Baneblade is a Guard vehicle first and foremost, and if a good portion of player's Baneblade's ended up in Space Marine colours, I wouldn't be too happy. But that's my inner Guard Nazi talking.

Technically IG tanks have been gifted to Marines before, specifically the Space Wolves can field Exterminators. But I think this is a big exception granted to a highly prominent First Founding Chapter. I don't think Baneblades would be part of any Chapter's armoured forces.

I'm sorry. I don't wanna say "No how dare you even contemplate not painting your 'Blade in IG Camo!", but I don't want to say that I'm totally cool with it.

Keep in mind it's completely none of my business in the end, and that it's your model and what you do with it is whatever you decide. If Space Marine 'Blades become exceptions to the norm on tabletop's, I'd be totally fine with it and would be glad to play against you.

Vandur Last
14-10-2007, 02:16
I dont mean to be harsh but according to the background, yes it would be wrong.

As others suggested you could paint it in similar colours and say its from their Homeworld but you couldnt claim that its actually part of the Chapter and put the Chapter markings on it.

The closest thing to this i can think of would be for the Ultramarines to go to war alongside units of the Ultramar military. Other than Ultramar though i cant think of any forces under Space Marine control that would be large enough to justify having a Baneblade amongst them.

Soi yeah it should be fine, so long as you dont try to pass it off as part of the Chapter. APocalypse is all about removing restrictions after all.

Outside of Apocalypse i personally really wouldnt like this though. It would be like having an all Imperial Guard army but with Space Marine characters with Space Marine stats and equiptment... but painted as Imperial Guard.

Anomander2112
14-10-2007, 02:20
Yeah, thats how me and my mate felt. Was just hoping someone would come up with a reason that is in the fluff so i could do it! Will probably get a platoon of guard to go with the baneblade now when i get it so it doesn't feel as wrong. And anyway, the guardsmen will be excellent cannon fod...er... back up!

Dren Krelar
14-10-2007, 02:21
My suggestion would be to only paint a small portion of the tank in SM colors.

For exapmple if it was part of a IG regiment raised on MacCragge I'd maybe paint part of the turret in Ultramarines colors and the rest of the tank in some sort of cammo pattern.

Quentin
14-10-2007, 02:23
Yeah, thats how me and my mate felt. Was just hoping someone would come up with a reason that is in the fluff so i could do it! Will probably get a platoon of guard to go with the baneblade now when i get it so it doesn't feel as wrong. And anyway, the guardsmen will be excellent cannon fod...er... back up!

Hey! Don't let us make you feel bad. You do whatever you want to do. If you think a 'Blade looks hot in cool Ultramarine Blue, you do it.

Don't let the old fogey's at the IG officer's club cajole your decision! :D

Wraithbored
14-10-2007, 02:24
Funnily my friend did that however the guard outperformed his marines in both numbers of kills, shots landed and armour saves passed :D

Anomander2112
14-10-2007, 02:24
Thats what i was thinking, like gw used to do on the guard tanks with the stripes of colour at the front.

Hellebore
14-10-2007, 02:27
Paint up your guard in the Chapter's colours.

Make them planetary PDF.

Hell, being Apocalypse take a couple of Marine captains and put them in the Command squads as chapter 'advisors'.

Basically although they aren't technically supposed to, this chapter could control the guard stationed on their recruitment planet.

Maybe they are chapter serfs.

Maybe the PDF sacrificed themselves to protect a holy baneblade, and in gratitude the Mechanicus granted it to them.

Basically I don't think it would be controlled by the marines directly, but so long as its attendant guard platoon came along and/or you had good background I don't see why not.

The Ultramar pdf wear the colours of the Ultramarines so it's not without precedent...

Just make it clear to your opponent that the tank isn't part of the marines' inventory.

hellebore

Wraithbored
14-10-2007, 02:30
Excelently put Hellebore.

Quentin
14-10-2007, 02:33
I agree with Wraithbored.

bigred
14-10-2007, 02:41
You should also feel free to use them for any of the Traitor Legions. They had them in their inventories, and probably took of them with them when they fell back to the Eye post heresy.

Wraithbored
14-10-2007, 02:45
You should also feel free to use them for any of the Traitor Legions. They had them in their inventories, and probably took of them with them when they fell back to the Eye post heresy.
Very true, the baneblade should be a far more common occurence with the traitor legions, the only armies who REALLY shouldn't field the baneblade is Tau and "us" Eldar...the memory of harlequin landraider lingers still *Shudders*

adreal
14-10-2007, 02:50
Well my chaos will prob get one (shrugs) they are a good model and add a good points increase to my army so (shrugs) but I'm also going to try and get some traitor guard for it as well.....I do have a box of cadians behind me.....

Vandur Last
14-10-2007, 03:32
Very true, the baneblade should be a far more common occurence with the traitor legions, the only armies who REALLY shouldn't field the baneblade is Tau and "us" Eldar...the memory of harlequin landraider lingers still *Shudders*

Tyranid Baneblades FTW!!!1!

Wraithbored
14-10-2007, 03:43
Tyranid Baneblades FTW!!!1!
Ok that's it!! *gets broom* WHOOMPH!:D:skull:

LoneSniperSG
14-10-2007, 05:20
I wasn't so much thinking of it as a marine tank, just in marine colours. Not sure how a baneblade would look in purple and red though.....

It'd look spanking in blue and yellow, with some wolf pelts and such all over.. But then again, the Space Wolves and Fenris' climate itself are the only things defending it.

... Why the crap did I say "spanking"?

mickart70
14-10-2007, 05:45
i just got my baneblade yesterday and i have ultramarines but i will e painting it in IG camo and putting some IG with it cannon foder like they say lol,

mistformsquirrel
14-10-2007, 05:54
Personally, I really don't like the idea. A Baneblade is a Guard vehicle first and foremost, and if a good portion of player's Baneblade's ended up in Space Marine colours, I wouldn't be too happy. But that's my inner Guard Nazi talking.

Technically IG tanks have been gifted to Marines before, specifically the Space Wolves can field Exterminators. But I think this is a big exception granted to a highly prominent First Founding Chapter. I don't think Baneblades would be part of any Chapter's armoured forces.

I'm sorry. I don't wanna say "No how dare you even contemplate not painting your 'Blade in IG Camo!", but I don't want to say that I'm totally cool with it.

Keep in mind it's completely none of my business in the end, and that it's your model and what you do with it is whatever you decide. If Space Marine 'Blades become exceptions to the norm on tabletop's, I'd be totally fine with it and would be glad to play against you.

This is pretty much my take.

Generally, I think its much more a Guard vehicle; and that it makes far more sense as a Planetary PDF addendum to the Chapter than something actually crewed by Marines.

That said - its your model; and if you came up with a cool fluff explanation (and perhaps its the ONLY Baneblade your chapter owns, and is lovingly cared for etc...) it could be kinda cool too. In which case I'd hope you'd give it a darn good name and story! <^.~>

mistformsquirrel
14-10-2007, 05:55

Fenrisian Slip?

Inquisitor_Matt
14-10-2007, 06:09
The Baneblade is NOW a guard tank. Pre-heresy, during the heresy, and post heresy (before codex) marines had access to almost everything the Imperium had to offer. Easy way to explain it is that is a lost remnant of the heresy and it has been recovered. Another way to explain it is that it was recovered after being abandoned, been in marine "mothballs" for millennium, it is a honorary-ceremonial vehicle that has been pressed into service... think of something creative and it will work.

Spleendokta
14-10-2007, 06:52
Well I dont have any marine models handy, but isnt a marine scout or techmarine the size of a guardsmen? Couldnt you say that like servitors or scout like marines run the blaneblade? I'm not a fluff person, so just throwing out idea's.

Vandur Last
14-10-2007, 06:56
Im just kidding Wraithbored, although i dont see anything in the rules that prevents it...
(A Tryranid baneblade that is)

Indeed i dont see anything in the rules preventing an Eldar Warlord Titan, Ork Barracuda or Space Marine Squiggoth.

Archibald_TK
14-10-2007, 07:17
Since fluffwise human auxiliaries are not an uncommon occurence in a Tau army I see them as probably being one of the xenos races who would have the easiest time fielding IG allies entirely painted in Tau colors.

I wonder how a Baneblade painted in modern Tau camo would looks like... no actually now I feel the urge to paint one that way !

Arch-Traitor Horus
14-10-2007, 07:28
i want a Snot green Baneblade for my salamanders :D

CarnusCaedes
14-10-2007, 08:06
[Off Topic]

Im just kidding Wraithbored, although i dont see anything in the rules that prevents it...
(A Tryranid baneblade that is)

Indeed i dont see anything in the rules preventing an Eldar Warlord Titan, Ork Barracuda or Space Marine Squiggoth.

Refer to the ALLIES MATRIX p198. Some permutations would still have some esplainin' to do! whilst others could get away with it IF they both allied to fight a mutually hated foe.

Considering imperial units are mostly distrustful or entirely hateful of Xenos, I don't think I would see these formations operating together without the aforementioned backdrop to support such a thing.

[/On Topic]

IMHO I would imagine that the Imperial Guard (hereafter IG) Baneblades able to paint their tanks in Marine colour and utilising iconography would have to had a long running association with that chapter, bonded by terrible oaths of service to one another.

I think it is a nice idea, the Original Space Marine (epic) game Dark angels had the IronWing an all armoured section, which I believe included Baneblade units(?) Iron coloured and bearing chapter iconography, as previously mention Space wolves may take certain imperial guard armour units.

But as a reference, to tie the units (IG/SM) using approximate colours avoiding iconography if you are trying to avoid it.
I imagine the guard unit would have to petition the chapter for the authority to display chapter iconography, which may be refused by the chapter (nothing worse than seeing a unit wearing your chapter symbol high-tailing it out of the Combat Zone). If the chapter granted the Honour, and it would be a great honour, for an imperial unit to display its Icon and colour then it would only be to a Legendary unit.

As with the Ironwing example, if you choose to make the Bane Blade an honoured addition to the Space Marine Armoury and in this case as the unit is manned by a techamarine crew from that chapter it would have every right to bear the Colour, Icon and receive the same battle honours as any marine armoured unit of the chapter.

What do you think?

The_Warsmith
14-10-2007, 09:37
tyranids could have baneblades, it's part of a genstealer cult :D (remembers good old days when nids had leman russes)

i think any number of reasons that have been said here are plausible, it's just a question of choosing which person to listen to

untimention
14-10-2007, 09:46
MY GOD i had the same idea on friday

its what im going to do as i love the baneblade. How i see it is the IG gave it to my marines for saving millions of lives in a mission.... i think ill put some ultramarine icons on it and some other marine parts

Isambard
14-10-2007, 09:48
After the Horus Heresy the Legions of Marines were broken into Chapters and their support taken away, no Titans, no super-heavies etc.

I am painting a Baneblade for my Marines but to get round this it is not the property of the Chapter, is was a personal gift to one of the officers from the Adeptus Mechanicus. It appears no where on the Chapters armoury and is thus not in breaking with the rules of the Codex Astartes.

BigRob
14-10-2007, 10:50
Of course you can paint it in your chapter colours, its your model, your army and your game :)

If someone kicks off and refuses to play you because ":eek:OMG Marines cant have baneblades in in the fluff!!!:eek:" then they are being silly and a tad retentive.

Hobbies like warhammer are for fun, creativity and having a good time. You shouldnt feel restricted by "Fluff". In fact the fluffs been re-written, contradicted and blatently changed so many times you can claim what you like.
I'd love a Macharius with Vulcan Megabolter in Blood Angel colours, (damn you forgeworld with your shiney toys), You could model female marines, Space Marines on Riding Lizards or even an army of Sensei. Just inform me of the "counts as" for each unit, and were off!

TeddyC
14-10-2007, 10:53
I was thinking of just going with one panel (probably the front one of the track covers) in SM colours.

Then again they most simple way to add it is part of a Inquisitor allied force. No explanations needed.

It is an IG tank. Its not like a titan that are just blanket "imperial"

Cheesolith
14-10-2007, 11:03
Space marines have(or had, no idea if they changed it) the right to commandeer all lesser imperial vehicles that aren't owned by either the I or the AdMech. In other words they can freely take any tank they want as long as the IG doesnt go complaining to the I. Add a backstory how that particular tank got involved with the marines and you are ready.

paddyalexander
14-10-2007, 11:14
Remember that some Chapters such as the Ultra Marines have small territories that they govern or protect. These are rare & none are as large as Ultramar. However it would make sence that any IG regiments raised in such systems would bare colours similar to their masters (or simply try to emulate a chapter based localy, whether that chapter is aware of it or not) and would fight in support of them when the need arises.

Sephtar II
14-10-2007, 11:31
I agree with Hellebore on this one.

And Arch-Traitor Horus I beleive that the Salamanders (best chapter ever!) are very chummy with the people of Nocturne who are supposed to be excellant craftsmen and engineers and therefore Its a fantastic idea to have a snot green one, complete with carnosaur head nailed to the font!

Imperialis_Dominatus
14-10-2007, 11:39

You sicko. :p

But anyway, my sentiments are the same as many on this thread. A Chapter could not own a Baneblade by normal means. But if they fight alongside a regiment from their homeworld, which has similar or the same colors as the Chapter, I'd have no issue with the model, as long as the model was explicitly piloted by an Imperial Guardsman, i.e. one was visible in the commander's hatch. That's just how I'd do it; you don't have to model a Guard pilot if you don't want to. But it's about fluff, which frankly makes the universe (if not the rules...).

You could also have it piloted by the Chapter Serfs, if a substantial amount of them fluffwise could return to the regiments raised from the homeworld of the regiment.

If Nids and Necrons can ally with anyone in Apocalypse, there's ample justification for a SM colored Baneblade... dammit, now I want one in white, red, and yellow (my Chapter colors)... so much for resisting...

Anomander2112
14-10-2007, 11:45
Nice one chaps. Think it'll be part of a PDF with a few guard protecting it. Probably won't decide until i've got it whether to paint it all in my chapters purple and red colours or to just paint panels in it. But i think the Cadians would look cool with red and purple quartered armoured parts!

ansible5
14-10-2007, 13:15
i have to say that as my imperial guard are already painted the same colours as my space marines (grey is v. dull ;) ) i don't see any problem with this. Especially as my FW baneblade is often borrrowed for a bit of extra firepower. If the SM needed to i'm sure no Guard commander is going to argue with them.

Baneboss
14-10-2007, 13:29
Codex Astartes forbids SM to use such vehicles... I think at least just like IG cant use Land Raiders since Horus Heresy. Baneblades most of the time dont suit SM fighting styles. Also it is written that SM dont use many cannons except perhaps on Thunderhawks. So fluffily speaking your choice to include a Baneblade painted in SM colours is a heresy.

Its as forbidden as painting a titan in SM colours because god machines are a part of Titan Legions. Adeptus Mechanicus is a different organisation all together.

If you really want to use it paint it in different colours add a small IG force for back up.

If the SM needed to i'm sure no Guard commander is going to argue with them.

What about SM pride? What about so many different battle occurances?

aad
14-10-2007, 14:36
well my local gws store has made a baneblade in crimson fists colors, to fit with the crimson fists compagnie.

this is all in the light of the apocalypse stuff.

my opinion is: that if you like it, make it.:D

Arkley
14-10-2007, 14:59
My Macragge 808's will have a Baneblade, in Grey, Ultramarine Blue and Shining gold... :)

Baneboss
14-10-2007, 15:19
well my local gws store has made a baneblade in crimson fists colors, to fit with the crimson fists compagnie.

I dont expect GW employees to know much about fluff except basic stuff. More than anything that is a job for them so dont take their word/actions as dominant.

Clang
15-10-2007, 05:51
Nothing wrong with a Genestealer cult army of ex-IG bringing their baneblade along to battles.

Back on topic, either write some fluff to justify this Baneblade being a one-off gift/requisition and addition to a marine army (after the marines saved a forgeworld, perhaps), or say it's still an IG tank but has been repainted in marine colours as part of a long campaign (or perhaps as a special honour, after the tank saved the day for the marines), or make up a IG regiment that has a nearby homeworld to your marines and so paint all their equipment the same way to symbolise their close relationship. But it's your tank, paint it any way you like, fluff will merely help you deflect whiners...

Ironsides
15-10-2007, 08:51
Yes, the legions used to have super-heavies (baneblades, Fellblades etc.) until the Codex Astartes removed them. This shouldn't prevent non-codex chapters from using them. The Space Wolves are, i think, particularly likely to have a few baneblades lying around as they have demonstrated repeatedly their willingness to use non-codex vehicles (the Leman Russ Exterminator for example, not to mention the fact that they invented the Predator Annihilator).

marv335
15-10-2007, 09:20
so a bane blade is painted in SM colours?
so what?
It's your model, paint it any way you damn well please.
if anyone gives you trouble you have two options
tell them to "man up" it's apocalypse!
tell them it's a PDF baneblade from a chapter fief world

MorningLightMountain
15-10-2007, 09:29
Depends if it fits onto a Thunderhawk I guess???

Sleazy
15-10-2007, 10:00
sorry but its a big NOOOOO! from me.

in apoc I suppose anything goes but I wouldnt play a marine army with a blade in regular 40k.

We all knew this was coming, woe betide a big shiny toy is released that marine players cant use.

Quentin
15-10-2007, 10:10
Yes, the legions used to have super-heavies (baneblades, Fellblades etc.) until the Codex Astartes removed them. This shouldn't prevent non-codex chapters from using them. The Space Wolves are, i think, particularly likely to have a few baneblades lying around as they have demonstrated repeatedly their willingness to use non-codex vehicles (the Leman Russ Exterminator for example, not to mention the fact that they invented the Predator Annihilator).

Didn't you read my own post covering Space Wolves and LR Exterminator's? Just because they have one type of tank gifted to them as a special honour to thier Primarch, doesn't mean they have a squadron of 'Blade's.

But anyway. If anyone refuse's to play this guy just because he decided to paint his 'Blade in Chapter colours, they're really immature.

marv335
15-10-2007, 10:11
marines have always been able to use Baneblades.
It's a superheavy, that means it goes in an FOE all of it's own.
Allies people, Allies.
now it just means that the powergamers that took the "No Allies" doctrine get the shaft.
I think we can all live with that ;)

Dicey
15-10-2007, 10:13
Technically IG tanks have been gifted to Marines before, specifically the Space Wolves can field Exterminators. But I think this is a big exception granted to a highly prominent First Founding Chapter.

Thats because Leman Russ designed it or found the STC cant remember which way round it goes

Kasonic
15-10-2007, 10:13
This has me interested.

I'm dying to see a Baneblade painted up in Loyalist Marine colors now.

Please tell me someone in the world has been a little adventurous!

Quentin
15-10-2007, 10:23
Thats because Leman Russ designed it or found the STC cant remember which way round it goes

Thier are two (maybe more) theories floating around about why Space Wolves were granted a stock of LR Exterminators.

I believe that in the old old (outdated IMHO) fluff, Leman Russ was originally a Guardsmen himself before being genetically modified into a Primarch, and so acquired the Russe's from his old regiment.

There's another theory that the Space Wolves personally recovered the STC for the Mechanicus, who decided to bestow the first squadron's produced to them.

I tend to agree with the second. The Index Astartes forbids Chapters from acquiring Super-heavy vehicles from the Guard after the Heresy anyway.

This has me interested.

I'm dying to see a Baneblade painted up in Loyalist Marine colors now.

Please tell me someone in the world has been a little adventurous!

I'm hoping people won't be too adventurous. I'm totally fine with this little scheme, but I will cry a lot if I see Baneblade's in SM colours all of the time.

AventineCrusader
15-10-2007, 10:32
I'm painting mine up to match my Pre-heresy Alpha Legion. I get Baneblades for going pre-heresy!:p:p

marv335
15-10-2007, 10:35
I believe that in the old old (outdated IMHO) fluff, Leman Russ was originally a Guardsmen himself before being genetically modified into a Primarch, and so acquired the Russe's from his old regiment.

Actually Leman Russ seems to have been an Inquisitor!

Marine Commander;

Imperial record AA/SW 05/15. f19.P&

Profile Leman Russ.
Born 2612016, M32 Guranta D Gurantan System.
Commissioned Adeptus Terra as a special agent 0134041. M32.
First rose to Imperial notice during Lucen Crusade.
Appointed Imperial Commander Lucen 0333042. M32.
Instrumental in founding Adeptus Astartes unit 4 "spacewolves".
Suffered severe avioli damage during acid storms on Susa, Transplanted with model cybron-osmotic gill.

asmodan
15-10-2007, 11:02
I am going to convert one to fit my sisters of battle. It's been named a cathedral on wheels anyway. So I don't see the problem of a SM colour painted baneblade. I just hope I won't see JUST Sm coloured baneblades besides SM in an apocalypse game.

That being said It's a more mutual consent between friends game then a die hard tournament game anyway.

Asmodan

Penguin of Death
15-10-2007, 11:42
Build your own

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/richardworthington/WIP/Wolfblade/DSCF0744.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/richardworthington/WIP/Wolfblade/2007_09120008.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/richardworthington/WIP/Wolfblade/DSCF1180.jpg

aad
15-10-2007, 12:03
leman russ a guardsmen?? :D:angel:

their where 20 baby primarchs all over the galaxy when the 4 gods of chaos where done with them.

the emperor made those 20 baby,s genetically enhanced to be more intelligent,stronger,more agile,taller, and strategically better than any human being.
not the same as the emperor but for 90% similair.
they where his sons.
that includes leman russ

when the great crusade began the emperor found his 20 sons when he conquered the galaxy.
that includes leman russ also

that,s the story.
how could he be a guardsmen if his world was never founded before when the imperium as it then existed ?? no emperor no imperial guard i think.

you can,t make a guardsmen into a primarch. primarchs have different bloodtypes and primarch dna.
this was the story in the horus heresy book when horus was felled by a chaos sword also known as a primarch killer. he could not recover from his wounds due the swords poison. they would help him but they couldn,t.

Quentin
15-10-2007, 12:10
leman russ a guardsmen?? :D:angel:

I am well aware of the Primarch origin story, as is pretty much every Imperial player and daresay almost every 40K player.

However I'm talking about Rogue Trader era fluff, probably well before your time.

Lord Malorne
15-10-2007, 12:12
Well personally i'm probably gonna paint my Baneblade all Black Templar Like and i'll suffer not the unclean to live if they dispute my claims to the mighty engine of war...

People go ahead and paint baneblades in SM colours...therer is always a reason why they are painted ala SM colours. (Iron hands, Salamanders, Klepto Marines...etc.)

aad
15-10-2007, 12:14
I am well aware of the Primarch origin story, as is pretty much every Imperial player and daresay almost every 40K player.

However I'm talking about Rogue Trader era fluff, probably well before your time.

allright then.:)

Quentin
15-10-2007, 12:16
Nooo! What have I done!? I sanction an Ultramarine 'Blade and now suddenly SM 'Blade idea's are being announced everywhere! It's spreading like a virus! It's a corruption of the Holy Imperial Guard's greatest Battletank! I have failed in my duty to the Emperor...

*Goes out back and shoots himself with a bolt pistol*

allright then.:)

'Kay thanks.

Lord Malorne
15-10-2007, 12:18
Hopefully the bolt pistol does not have chapter markings!

Quentin
15-10-2007, 12:18
Hopefully the bolt pistol does not have chapter markings!

*Is too dead to comment*

Lord Malorne
15-10-2007, 12:23
Well in that case bring out the Templar stolen Baneblades...heheeh!

To reiterate...do what you want and yes there are loads of background reasons allowing you to paint it all SM chapteresque... a few more than their are reasons not to..hehe!

marv335
15-10-2007, 12:31
Mine is currently being painted up in Rynns World PDF (Crimson Fists) colours.

Maximuspandem
15-10-2007, 13:34
I personally haven’t got a problem with people using baneblades in a SM army provided it is backed up with some guard/PDF.

Marines do not use or have baneblades, it does not suit their type of warfare at all.

many people have sited the ultramarines as an example and this is a good one, and if your chapter has no home world PDF (or is space born) that’s were the guard come in.

even if those hardcore marine players out there are loath to take some guard infantry, take a couple of leman russ's and call it a spearhead (or whatever) one can never have to many battle cannons, if you hate guard paint it red or black and use it as a skittari baneblade.

I really do not prescribe to the theory bounded around by one of my mates (amongst other people) that his SM either A- still have baneblades left over from the heresy or B- effectively stole or requisitioned it off the guard.

by no means will I not play a SM who merely has a baneblade, however it smacks of just taking the baneblade for its power rather than including it because it is fluffy (fluffy baneblade -lol). If people start taking the best bits from all the codex’s with no regards to cannon or story arcs, then that is a dark road I have no wish to travel down.

rickie8437
15-10-2007, 14:30
THAT IS SO A DIG AT ME

what i did say was that it is feasible for the 9 loyest chapters that fort in the hereasy to still have the tanks,

and chaos marines that ran to the eye of terror will still have them because they dont follow the codex

i my self will be using one in my AoR army not because its the best thing the IG have but coz they look sweet and think a couple of marine squads around it would look cool, plus if i really want super heavy support id rather go for 2 warhound titans and a warlord

rick

CarnusCaedes
25-10-2007, 00:46
=OfTopic=

Nothing wrong with a Genestealer cult army of ex-IG bringing their baneblade along to battles.

I would think that Genestealer insurgents would be more likely to infect idle PDF as IG are constantly on the move from warzone to warzone and more than likely would be subjected to more strenuous moral and physical purity checks.

Genestealers would be inclined to take a whole world through stealth where the infestation could fester quietly for several generations winning key positions in that worlds government and military (as in the novels) before finally reaching critical mass and the tyranids come.

Which brings me to the next question, would PDF even have BaneBlades?

=On Topic=

Bell of Lost Souls have rule for SM Fellblade