PDA

View Full Version : Are Bloodletters worth it?

Blood God
14-10-2007, 01:46
Hi,
I collect a Khorne army and was wondering are bloodletters worth the points (16 pts each)?

BLOOD GOD

blurred
14-10-2007, 12:52
Well, depends what other things you have in your army. They are very fragile so against massed shooting they are going down very quickly. Also, with the new SoA rule for the HE they are pretty much useless against them. However, against other infantry they are absolute monsters: a lot of high strength attacks which come with initiative order. If I would do a Khorne army I'd probably take one unit of 12 BL (6*2) for flavour.

gjnoronh
14-10-2007, 13:20
They have their pros and cons. IN the right list they can be quite effective.

If you are planning big massed ranks of them then I would strongly suggest a daemonic legion list.

IMO flesh hounds do what bloodletters do - just faster.

For more on the pros and cons of bloodletters you should check out
www.thedaemoniclegion.com.

Murderous Monkey
14-10-2007, 13:28
Like many other questions regarding army selection it depends significantly upon your environment. Bloodletters lack the resilience to survive even a moderate amount of shooting and can't be expected to receive an attack terribly well - a serious problem since they don't exactly speed across a battlefield.

They are excellent at ripping enemy infantry to pieces and look awesome (in my opinion) so it's certainly worth considering them for friendly games. They will not last long in a competitive environment though, since they just don't last long enough for their cost.

I'm a player who prizes good models and plays only with 'friendly' lists so I'd be very happy to have a unit. And will, when I get onto building a Khorne element to my Chaos army.

You may like to think about whether you prefer the current models or those pictured in the rumour forum from Gamesday.

Good luck with the Chaos Army!

P.S. I assumed you were building a Mortal Hordes of Chaos army but you may like to specify whether you're general is Mortal, Daemonic or a Beast since it'll make a difference to people's opinion. If you've used up lots of special slots you might find it easier to get chaos warriors of Khorne with halberds if you're general is Mortal, and Khornegor might be an excellent alternative for a beast general.

Blood God
14-10-2007, 22:38
my army general is a mortal so your saying warriors are a better choice?

Ive already got 2 units of warriors . . . or 1 big unit. lol

Salyx
15-10-2007, 00:33
If u are going for Khorne, take a Unit of Khorne Warriors with you- Banner of Rage,Shield, Great weapon-they just rock.They are a lot better than Bloodletters.

Tok
15-10-2007, 12:36
the miniatures doesn't look good..

zak
15-10-2007, 16:35
Bloodletters are a point sink. Against any army with missile weapons these will get shot to shreds. Even a medium sized unit with cost 200 points and a unit of 20 a mighty 320 points. An alternative that you may consider are Khorngors. Cheaper and just as, if not more, effective as they don't go poooof, when they're beaten and fail the instability test!!

sulla
15-10-2007, 20:38
They are awesome in a Ld10 daemonic legion but only ok in any army where they may be testing at Ld8. You can never guarantee what an infantry unit will be engaging so they need to be relatively resilient. Unfortunately daemonic infantry isn't so you need good Ld to get the best out of their instability rules.

Blood God
16-10-2007, 01:28
oh yeh i know the new minatures are crappy but if i do it i will make my own bloodletters

eleveninches
16-10-2007, 08:44
They are cheaper than a huge squad of khorne infantry, as you dont need to give them a MoK to make them frenzied

p3990013
17-10-2007, 09:32
The only demons I use are furies to attack warmachines.
Or maybe plaguebearers who are tough in cc

All other demons are overpriced and get killed very fast with spells.

Not to mention magic items like hail of doom arrows

Nkari
17-10-2007, 09:46
9 times out of 10 any ranked daemons are not worth their points..

Fulgrim's-Chosen
17-10-2007, 09:46
Right...the basic Daemons in Hordes of Chaos are nigh-useless thanks to that ridiculous Daemonic Aura (weaky Ward Save which is useless against all magic attacks).

It's too easy for basic Lvl-2 Wizards to fire off simple spells like Fiery Blast (the 2d6 STR-4 hits one) ...roll an 8 for hits...then wound a Daemonic Regiment on 3+ (D-nettes / B-letters, at least)...poof...there goes 5-6 of your models....your 16-pt models, we should note.

Brutal...just brutal. This is why a Daemonic Legion is needed and allows you to have a "fighting chance" against most enemy normal lists...not get your butt kicked incessantly as you would if you tried a straight D-list out of Hordes of Chaos only (non-Daemonic Legion force).

sulla
17-10-2007, 19:19
9 times out of 10 any ranked daemons are not worth their points..

The one time they are useful is within Ld of a Ld10 character when they become much better than stubborn troops. So, in an archaon led force or a daemonic legion... Trust me, they are very resilient then.

ViperMagnum357
12-11-2007, 20:19
Bloodletters are powerful, but not nearly as versatile. For Khorne, most people prefer 2 hand weapons or halberd: myself, I am a fan of hand weapon and shield. Makes your warriors 4+ armour save, 3+ in CC, and still have as many attacks as 2 weapon warriors of other gods:evilgrin:. High armour makes them very resilient, so can take a charge from cavalry and survive to smash faces. Field in 4 by 4, 16 man regiment with standard, full command only if your can spare the points. If your opponent doesn't beat them in the first round of combat, your vastly superior stats, armour, and crushing weight of attacks can finish most anything. Not to rant on warriors, but in most cases, with T3 and 6+/5+ saves:cries:, about same point cost, Bloodletters can't take acharge nearly as well. Use them in small wide units for flanking or clipping your opponent's fast cavalry, or strong, non-magic low attack headstompers like trolls or giants, where their ward saves come in handy, and toughness and armour are irrelevant:evilgrin:.

Dominatrix
12-11-2007, 21:07
Are Bloodletters worth it?

To answer shortly no they don't. They are overpriced, have low toughness, armor not worth mentioning PLUS the suffer from instability. There is nothing more aggravating that watching your expensive regiment disappear in a puff of smoke just because they rolled 1 higher thatn their leadership! :cries: Quite frankly the only demons i field nowadays are only in Fantasy (thanks a lot 4ed CSM codex :mad:) and even here only furies, screamers (these 2 for obvious reasons) and mounted daemonettes. Everything else is collecting dust until GW decides to do something to make demon armies actually fieldable. Until then bloodletters are glorified,overpriced, frenzied swordmasters without ASF. In other words a joke.

SevenSins
13-11-2007, 16:58
Hopefully they'll fix it in the new demon codex/army book thingy next year... For both fantasy and 40K

Kadrium
13-11-2007, 17:16
Field in 4 by 4, 16 man regiment

I'm sorry, but why on earth would you field warriors in a 4x4 unit?

Darwin_green
13-11-2007, 21:05
probably still plays with 6th edition rules, or their group never noticed that.

ViperMagnum357
14-11-2007, 00:14
I'm sorry, but why on earth would you field warriors in a 4x4 unit?
Urgh, That is what I get for posting on no sleep thinking nostalgically:skull:. Should read five or six wide, 3-4 deep, unit strength around 15-20. Sorry for the confusion.:angel:

Finnigan2004
14-11-2007, 04:10
I wasted a good portion of a summer painting sixty of them, but rarely use more than twenty or thirty. The simple fact is that anything that they can do, flesh hounds can do better. Even in a daemonic legion they are not worth their points. Field them for theme or for mandatory core choices, but other than that they are not as valuable as other equivalent choices in the list because they are expensive infantry with a poor armour save and low toughness.

foehammer888
14-11-2007, 12:48
Its part of the warhammer unit equations. If you are going to be hard-hitting but extremely weak, you need to either be also either 1) cheap or 2) fast. Cheap so you have the numbers to weather casualties, or fast to reduce the amount of time you are out of combat taking casualties. Bloodletters are neither, and is why flesh hounds are better. They are fast to make up for their lack of resilience (are stronger against return fire). To make it worse they are frenzied, allowing the enemy to lead them on their merry way around the board chasing the nearest great eagle or small fast cavalry unti.

I play tzeentch and have screamers (great mage and war machine hunters) and a unit of 10 horrors (used only for the spell which creates them).

Foehammer