PDA

View Full Version : Rules proposal: Space Marine Chapter Serfs

firestorm40k
05-09-2005, 12:51
Hello, I've had this idea floating around for about a year now, I just thought I'd put it down on this forum and see what people made of it.

After reading background fluff in the new Marine Codex & WD about how a Space Marine chapter is made up of 10,000-20,000 extra staff - as well as the 1000 marines! - I got to thinking about how to incorporate chapter serfs in to 40k.

In my mind they would really only be used in scenarios which involved ship-to-ship boarding actions launched/defended by Space Marines.

In terms of modelling, I had a go at combining Cadian torsos with High Elf archer legs + arms, but the Elf parts are a bit too slender (natch), so I may at some point go back to them and bulk them out with green stuff. Not in the near future, mind, as I've currently got umpteen other modelling projects I'm working on! :D Looking back, i think I'd have been better using Brettonians rather than elves - the impoverished, dark ages-esque look of them seems better suited to the existing imagery of chapter serfs.

Anyway, here's my attempt at rules for chapter serfs (or adjutants):

As well as just over 1,000 genetically modified, super-human warriors, a Space Marine Chapter contains around 20,000 ordinary, human staff. These chapter serfs attend to their masters in a variety of ways, through aiding in the maintenance of their ancient power armour, the chapter’s vehicles, and manning the chapter’s fleet.

When Space Marine fleets engage in boarding actions, at the fore-front of these actions are companies of Space Marines, storming the enemy vessels. But they are often supported by their serfs, skilled fighters even by the standards of ordinary humans, and fully indoctrinated as faithful servants of the chapter. These squads are often lead by novitiates, individuals who failed at some early stage of the training and process of becoming a Space Marine – but otherwise possessed of superior training and skills of other non-enhanced humans.

Space Marine Adjutant squads are a troops choice for a Space Marine army, and can only be used in missions representing Space Marine boarding actions (or when a Space Marine vessel has been boarded, for that matter), and with the permission of your opponent. Note: You may take one squad of adjutants for every two Space Marine Tactical squads. So, for example, a Space Marine army containing four Tactical squads may contain two adjutant squads – filling all six troops choices on the force organisation chart.

Pts/Model WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Adjutants 8 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 6+
Novitiate +5 4 4 3 3 1 3 2 8 5+

Number/Squad: 5-15 Adjutants.

Weapons: Each model is armed with a Shotgun and equipped with Frag Grenades

Options: Any number of adjutants may exchange their shotguns for a bolt pistol and close combat weapon for +1 point.

Up to 2 adjutants may be armed with one of the following special weapons: flamer at +6 pts; meltaguns at +10pts. One adjutant may be armed with a demolition charge (in exchange for their Frag grenades) at +10pts.

Character: One adjutant may be upgraded to a novitiate for +5 points. He is armed with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon, and may be equipped with up to 10pts worth of wargear, from the following list:

Bolter at +1 point; power weapon at +5 pts; bionics at +5 pts; purity seals at +5 pts; surveyor at + 2 pts

SPECIAL RULE
Inspirational Masters: Following their super-human masters in to battle, the chapter adjutants are inspired by their fearless acts and their faith in their masters. Whilst an adjutant squad is within 12” of a Space Marine squad (which has at least 50% of their starting strength remaining), the following applies:
- the unit only counts as pinned if they fail a morale test for taking 25% casualties from shooting;
- the unit count as fearless in close combat.

So what do you all think? I hope that this idea is of some use to someone! Thanks for looking. :cool:

shutupSHUTUP!!!
05-09-2005, 13:55
I think you've captured the spirit of them well, perhaps they should have autopistols instead of bolt pistols though? I don't think every serf has his own bolt pistol for some reason.

Fearless in combat seems a bit much, even space marine will fall back from a deamon prince. Perhaps they should use the leadership value of the closest space marine?

Maybe jazz them up with furious charge for 3 points per model, to represent their fervour and excitement as well as training and fitness, they want to impress the space marines and uphold the honour of the chapter.

Barbarossa
05-09-2005, 14:29
Furious Charge would be too much. There are a lot of fanatics in 40k but they don't all get furious charge automatically. Also, a demolition charge isn't a very good idea when you are on a space craft and you lack protectional gear against explosive decompression.
But I'd give them all a 5+ save. Surely the resources of a marine chapter will allow to give their armed serfs at least a flak vest.

Ko Improbable
05-09-2005, 15:46
How about the option to be supported by a gun servitor?

Unplugged
05-09-2005, 16:02
Don't give them any boltgun weapons, these are holy and may only be use by the Emperor's finest! (or something) ;)
I'd give them lasguns, with an option to shotguns and laspitol+ccw and 2 assault weapons - some gun servitors are a nice idea, too.

firestorm40k
05-09-2005, 16:19
Thank you all for your feedback so far! I'll dig up my Daemonhunters codex and add stats for gun servitors. Does 0-2 per squad sound like a fair number? I've not given them las weapons for two reasons - a) I think these are too associated with the Imperial Guard, I though that it would be good to differentiate chapter serfs from the in this way; and b) it seems that Imperial Naval ratings are given shotguns and shot-cannons, so I wanted to keep in line with that - they're less hazardous on baord space ships! For that reason, I've rightly removed Demolition Charges (dooh! :-p).

In the meantime I present to you Chapter Adjutants v1.2!

Pts/Model WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Adjutant 8 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 5+
Novitiate +5 4 4 3 3 1 3 2 8 5+

Number/Squad: 5-15 Adjutants.

Weapons: Each model is armed with either a Shotgun or an Autopistol and Close Combat Weapon; all are equipped with Frag Grenades.

Options: Up to 2 adjutants may be armed with one of the following special weapons: flamer at +6 pts; meltaguns at +10pts. One adjutant may be armed with a melta charge (see below), in exchange for their Frag grenades, at +5pts.

Character: One adjutant may be upgraded to a novitiate for +5 points. He is armed with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon, and may be equipped with up to 10pts worth of wargear, from the following list:

Bolt pistol or Bolter at +1 point; power weapon at +5 pts; bionics at +5 pts; purity seals at +5 pts; surveyor at + 2 pts

SPECIAL RULE
Inspirational Masters: Following their super-human masters in to battle, the chapter adjutants are inspired by their fearless acts and their faith in their masters. Any adjutant squad may use the leadership of any Space Marine squad within 12” (so long as it has at least 50% of their starting strength remaining).

Melta Charge: Melta charges are used by boarders to open bulkheads and remove doors once, or sabotage imporatant systems aboard enemy ships. A squad that includes a melta charge can once per game move through a wall, counting it as difficult rather than impassable terrain.

Zark the Damned
05-09-2005, 17:58
I like the idea, although I believe in one battle report a whiles back the Chapter serfs were represented by IG (although it was the Ultramarines defense vs HF Kraken, so they may have been more PDF than Serf)

For inspirational Masters rule, I reckon just give them 'And they shall know no fear' if they are within 12" of friendly Marines.

firestorm40k
05-09-2005, 19:41
Hmm, I would have thought Chapter Adjunct Troops would be more like Storm Troopers or Kasrkin. Well equipped, highly trained, but ultimately human.

I'm basing it upon the illustrations and (the little) background info there is. I think they're meant to be more along the lines of men-at-arms or squires that accompanied medieval knights, so a highly regimented and equipped force like Storm Troopers/Kasrkin is not totally consistent with that imagery and background. I don't think they'd have the same kind of organisation as IG regiments too.

[QUOTE=Nurglitch]Also, the Novitiate probably shouldn't have access to kit as valuable as a power-weapon.

My thinking with these is that they are of a slightly higher rank/status than most adjutants - perhaps as a result of being 'failed' marines, or having proved themselves beyond their peers in someway, and have earned this sort of weaponry as a result.

Thaks for your thoughts, anyway! :)

firestorm40k
05-09-2005, 19:42
For inspirational Masters rule, I reckon just give them 'And they shall know no fear' if they are within 12" of friendly Marines.

I like this. I will adapt the rule accordingly, thanks! :cool:

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-09-2005, 20:03
I think they should have 0-2 servitors unless they have a Novitate in which case they should have 0-4 servitors. I also think that they should have the option to take carapace armour [so they are less like gunfodder].

I like this idea, although the Zealot rules would work well for serfs, they are quite different and deserve some rules.

Hideous Loon
08-09-2005, 18:31
And Zealots are with the Ordo Hereticus, ad therefore unusable in a Marines army. I quite like the idea of Space Marine "slaves", and I like your rules too. But, what are surveyors? Auspexes? Or 'new, snazzy SM gear'?

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-09-2005, 19:58
I said the Zealot RULES, not the Zealots themselves, loon. Oh, and they're not slaves I don't think. And I believe surveyors count as auspexes yes.

Son of Morkai
08-09-2005, 21:29
I've been using allied Inquisitorial Stormtroopers in my Space Wolves army to represent thralls. I think the rules fit pretty well - particularly the Witch Hunter ones as it allows you to give them shotguns (to fit with the theme of them being from a ship's crew).

Not saying these rules are bad, but they can be represented using the =I= Stormtrooper rules while staying consistant to the fluff. There may not be a need for a new unit.