PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the least used unit in the game?

UltimateNagash
14-10-2007, 15:41
Not for money wise, but actual would never use it because you think it sucks so much...

The_Outsider
14-10-2007, 15:48
Look no further than the dark eldar Hellions.

Nothing but nothing else is more useless than they.

Norsehawk
14-10-2007, 15:58
Ogryns are pretty bad.
Penitent engines.
Vespids

leonmallett
14-10-2007, 16:00
Blood Claws with Jump Packs. Overpriced, limited numbers, and the alternatives are better. And when did you last see them used?

Imperialis_Dominatus
14-10-2007, 16:01
Anything with a mortar.

Dio´Ra
14-10-2007, 16:02
swooping hawks

Wolf Lord Duregar
14-10-2007, 16:11
Space Wolf Iron Priests...

Groksnag
14-10-2007, 16:16
Ork Stikkbommas

Brimstone
14-10-2007, 16:20
Please explain your choice or i'll close this thread as spam.

The Warseer Inquisition

Stella Cadente
14-10-2007, 16:22
Sanctioned psykers (probably because 50% of there powers are useless, and making them effective cocts allot of points)
Priests (because there powers are CC related, guardsmen and CC do no mix)
Mortars (cus they suck, a few str3 templates usually make NO difference)
Ogryns (cus they suck harder, its obvious why)
Anything from the Dark Eldar codex (because)
Harlequins (cus people have realized they suck)
Swooping hawks (dunno why, I like them)
Warp spiders (dunno why, but I don't like them)
Heavy destroyers (dunno why, I think there rather effective)
Pariahs (do I really need to say)
Flayed ones (dunno why)
Tomb spiders (dunno why)
anything from the Ork Codex (for now at least)
Hive tyrants (dunno why)
Gaunts (any variant, again dunno why, I think there good)
allot more Tyranid stuff I can't recall the name of (because there not cheesy enough for nid players)
Penitents (cus there rubbish, rule wise and model wise)
Vespids (cus they suck harder than a pensioner on crack)
and allot more stuff

The Warseer Inquisition
has to say it AFTER I post

Kulgur
14-10-2007, 16:23
Scourges with dark lances

Yay we're really mobile troops with move or fire weapons....

studderigdave
14-10-2007, 16:24
pariah - slow in movement and combat, point sink, dont get back up.

UltimateNagash
14-10-2007, 16:28

The Warseer Inquisition
Cheers for mentioning that, I forgot...

And Stella Cadente, I know it's your opinion, but please explain - Gaunts are useful, so are Tyrants O_o
And Swooping Hawks, Warp Spiders etc O_o
3+ jump pack troops for Eldar is good, can get AP1 shot etc and Swooping Hawks have Haywire Grenades and Deep Strike. Great against Skimmers *cough*Monolith*cough*

pariah - slow in movement and combat, point sink, dont get back up.
See, that's far more helpful :) Cheers

leonmallett
14-10-2007, 16:30
Gaunts (any variant, again dunno why, I think there good)

Nidzilla lists aside (which are far from omnipresent), I think every army of Nids has at least a couple of Gaunt units, so hardly the least used (or most useless) unit.

Bunnahabhain
14-10-2007, 16:36
Guard Engin-seers. Expensive, takes up very useful doctrines and FOC slot. Their rules were aweful, and then FAQs made them worse...

Outlaw289
14-10-2007, 16:40
Guard Engin-seers. Expensive, takes up very useful doctrines and FOC slot. Their rules were aweful, and then FAQs made them worse...

Gonna be useful in apocalypse though! :chrome:

Templar_Of_The_Night
14-10-2007, 16:44
i find nothing is completely useless, all units in the game can be effective and efficient, this includes orks, there just hard to use but i play them alot and they are by no means useless anyone who seys they are just has not played an opponent whos skilled with them, no insult meant to player who have played orks for a long time and carn't win with them it is a hard army to master. as for this thread i'm not really sure for the whole game becuase it is hard to compare differences for different armies different armies dont use things other armys do, i'm a space marine player, both chaos and loyal so for my SMs I would say prob the landspeeder, i find nobody used them unless they r upgraded to typhoon, tornado or the other one lol

Slaaneshi Slave
14-10-2007, 16:56
If you think nothing in the game is useless you obviously haven't looked into Sister Repentia and Penitent Engines.

Bad saves, low toughness and always strike last. Not gonna last.

catbarf
14-10-2007, 17:48
Hive tyrants (dunno why)

I'm calling BS on this one. Almost all lists I see include two Tyrants, and one or both is usually a Flyrant, especially in Nidzilla lists.

Shadowseer Crofty
14-10-2007, 20:21
Sanctioned psykers (probably because 50% of there powers are useless, and making them effective cocts allot of points)
Priests (because there powers are CC related, guardsmen and CC do no mix)
Mortars (cus they suck, a few str3 templates usually make NO difference)
Ogryns (cus they suck harder, its obvious why)
Anything from the Dark Eldar codex (because)
Harlequins (cus people have realized they suck)
Swooping hawks (dunno why, I like them)
Warp spiders (dunno why, but I don't like them)
Heavy destroyers (dunno why, I think there rather effective)
Pariahs (do I really need to say)
Flayed ones (dunno why)
Tomb spiders (dunno why)

flayed ones probaly because for a the same point cost as a warrior they have no shooting ability and one more attack, which with an I 2 isn't great. Admittedly they have the good special rules, but some people might not be able to look past the lack of anti marine capabilities or the fact that guardsmen stike before them. I cant see why tomb spyders wont be used, they're cheap for what you get, though the low ws makes them easier to hit that is balanced by how tough they are, plus monstrous creature, fearless and creating scarabs are also rather good.
Anything from dark eldar codex is just taking the mick, plenty of experienced players use dark eldar, its just certain units like grotesques that are never used.
Harlequins do not suck, they can munch through entire space marine squads in a turn and still want some more. The only problem is their fragility and lack of transport, but the dance of death rules, shadowseer and some good cover cancel out their fragility, and as for transports, in citys of death and apocalypse, just use sewer rats/tunnels and call it the webway.
Swooping hawks and warp spiders are also god units, and I believe are used quite frequently. Spiders special jump pack rules make them brilliant against fast armies, and swooping hawks can put some serious pain on horde armies. No problems with their rules, and I dont think other players see ny either, so they are used.

Baneboss
14-10-2007, 20:23
Every Orks unit :) At least I hope new codex will change that.

Chaplain Ark
14-10-2007, 21:07
swooping hawks and warp spiders are really good, if you use them correctly, but they are severly underplayed, like vostroyans.

Consider it. Tghe exarch can have a gun that pins and rends on three shots. id take 2 of those per terminator squad if i could. and the haywire pack can cause some serious damage, especially with the swooping hawk rule of getting out of combat and deep striking yet again. i used them twice so far, and my enemies now despise me.

I have not as of yet had a chance to use the warp spiders but judging by thier rules, i think they are quite good.

But i think the most under used model in the game is the ogryns. they suck and i have never ever seen them on the table top.

catbarf
14-10-2007, 23:43
Ogryns are up there, but despite the fact that they suck horribly there are plenty of people who take them simply because GW says they're a powerful assault unit.

Kasonic
14-10-2007, 23:49
Krootox.

I win.

marv335
14-10-2007, 23:51
Least used units?
SM scout bikers are pretty rare in my experience.
I use them but i've never seen anyone else field them.

Grimtuff
14-10-2007, 23:56
flayed ones probaly because for a the same point cost as a warrior they have no shooting ability and one more attack, which with an I 2 isn't great.

Flayed Ones are I4.

Stuff I never see used numbers quite high (mainly because people only tend to play Eldar, CSM and SM's round here) but of those the unused stuff is usually:

Normal Farseers (Eldrad all the way :rolleyes:)
Anything crewed by/composed of Guardians (except Falcons and Warwalkers)
Swooping Hawks
Striking Scorpions

Normal Landspeeders or Typhoons
Scouts
Generally *any* SM tank as apparently "They're too weak" (Eldar player's words, nuff said.)

Stella Cadente
14-10-2007, 23:57
And Stella Cadente, I know it's your opinion, but please explain - Gaunts are useful, so are Tyrants O_o
And Swooping Hawks, Warp Spiders etc O_o
3+ jump pack troops for Eldar is good, can get AP1 shot etc and Swooping Hawks have Haywire Grenades and Deep Strike. Great against Skimmers

Nidzilla lists aside (which are far from omnipresent), I think every army of Nids has at least a couple of Gaunt units, so hardly the least used (or most useless) unit.
I'm just stating what I see, I never said any of your mentioned units were useless, I said there never used, at least in this area and every area I know of where people play the corresponding units to those armies

I'm calling BS on this one. Almost all lists I see include two Tyrants, and one or both is usually a Flyrant, especially in Nidzilla lists.
please don't call BS on thing I know are FACT, it really P's me off:mad:, these are merely the things I have seen, just because you see them in lists doesn't mean jack

boogle
14-10-2007, 23:59
i agree with marv 335, especially as the DA and BA don't field them in their lists anymore, i will also add;
Hellions - poor 2nd to Jetbikes
Scourges with Dark Lances - what a joke that listing is
DE Warriors above 10 strong - always Raider squads picked whenever i've seen them
Chaos Dread - look cool, but the rules don't help them
Inquisitors - Lords yes, normal ones, no mainly due to the slot they fit in, most people want an assassin
Drone Squadrons - i loike them but Piranhas and Vespids seem to get all of the playing time
Stikkbommerz - mainly due to the loss of the Choppa (not that it will matter come the new Codex)
Engineseers - mainly because no-one playing un-doctrinated IG

Grimtuff
15-10-2007, 00:00
please don't call BS on thing I know are FACT, it really P's me off:mad:, these are merely the things I have seen, just because you see them in lists doesn't mean jack

Yet these are facts based on people's opinons of the units in question. How odd. :eyebrows:

Reinholt
15-10-2007, 00:03
Things that I have never seen in my gaming group:

- Hellions
- Scourges with Dark Lances
- Any of the IG lessers (psykers, engineseers, etc) that require doctrines
- Daemonhosts

Those are the literal units; in the case of the first two, it's because they flat out suck. In the case of the second two, it's because neither have good synergy with the list. Those units aren't worth taking in a doctrined guard force from the guard side, and Daemonhosts rule out grey knights, which is why most people play DH, ergo...

In terms of models, that's a whole new story. We have zero of the metal IG guard players in our group... to spendy when the Cadians, while not great, are doable and much more flexible for converting.

Edit:

To the post above me -

A fact is an individual empirical observation, in this case. The resulting statements are (il)logical conclusions.

An example is as follows:

Fact: I have observed at least one army without two hive tyrants.

Statement: All armies contain at least two hive tyrants (if they are Tyranids).

My observation invalidates this. It just takes one black swan to prove not all swans are white... that's why people get upset when someone calls BS on a factual observation.

Stella Cadente
15-10-2007, 00:05
Yet these are facts based on people's opinons of the units in question. How odd. :eyebrows:
well after all the question was
What do you think is the least used unit in the game?
so technically its far from BS

Tulun
15-10-2007, 00:07
the least *used*?

Dark Eldar, obviously, would take the cake on that, being they are a tiny minority. Hellions (skyboard unit right?), or Scourges.. normal dark Eldar with jump packs and heavy weapons... is pretty funny. Grotesques and Mandrakes too I wager.

Man, was that ever a badly written codex :)

For other armies, there are a ton of preferred units, a lot get left out. you could pick it apart codex by codex pretty easily.

Supremearchmarshal
15-10-2007, 00:31
Space Marines: Scout Bikers, Land Speeder Typhoon, Captain
Chaos Space Marines: Bikers, Possessed, Dreadnought, Havocs
Dark Eldar: ouch. Hellions, Warp Beasts, Scourges (not just ones with Dark Lances - the Splinter Cannon ones cost 36 points each), Mandrakes, Dracon
Orks: Lootaz, Battlewagon, Stikk Bommaz
Imperial Guard: Special Weapon Squads, Rough Riders, Psykers, Engineseer
Tau: Krootox
Tyranids: Broodlord, Hormagaunts, Biovores, Gargoyles
Eldar: Shining Spears, Jetbikes, Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks, Farseer
Inquisition: see them very rarely

-mind you, these are the units I don't see, I'm not saying they're all bad

Supremearchmarshal
15-10-2007, 00:33
Grotesques and Mandrakes too I wager.

It's true these are rarely used, but they're in fact very good units if used correctly.

Chaplain Ark
15-10-2007, 00:48
we should stop saying anything DE until they get redone. We all know GW forgot about DE, so theres no point in using a DE unit in this thread cause no one save the few loyal use any DE.

boogle
15-10-2007, 00:51
however those that i have seen play DE never use the units i listed, so it's still a valid argument

Chaplain Ark
15-10-2007, 00:55
touche, my friend

UltimateNagash
15-10-2007, 01:00
Actually, they are doing something about them. I spoke to a very reliable source about it on Saturday, and he can confirm that they've been designing them etc, but they're not as far done as the VC are...

Keravin
15-10-2007, 01:02
Got to go with Sisters Repentia and Mandrakes. Mandrakes more than Hellions because Mandrakes are awful figures.

I'd happily use Penitent Engines because they are fun and good modelling projects and I don't really care whether I win or not.

catbarf
15-10-2007, 01:11

HQ: 229

Hive Tyrant: 2 ST, Wings, Acid Maw, Adrenal WS, Adrenal In, Toxin, Toxic Miasma, Implant Atks, Flesh Hooks

HQ: 382

Tyrant: TL Venom Cannon, Enhanced Senses, EC, FH, TS, 3x Tyrant Guard

Elite: 114

Dakka Fex

Dakka Fex

Dakka Fex

Troops: 100

Rippers x10

Troops: 100

Rippers x10

FA: 40

Ravaner - ST, RC

Ravaner - ST, RC

Ravaner - ST, RC

Heavy: 241

Seeder Fex - CT, BS, BP, Bonded, ES, EC, FH, Regen, Reinforced, Spine Banks, Tail Mace, Toxin Sacs

Seeder Fex - CT, BS, BP, Bonded, ES, EC, FH, Regen, Reinforced, Spine Banks, Tail Mace, Toxin Sacs

Hey Folks

I've decided to collect Tyranids for my next army. I'm gonna start out with 1500 and here's what i have come up with, tell me what think.

Hive Tyrant
Wings
Warp Blast
Toxin Sacs
Adrenal Glands (+1 WS)
Scything Talons
Rending claws
Total: 171

Brood lord

w/8 Genestealers
Total: 201

3 Warriors
Leaping
Rending Claws
Scything Talons
Adrenal Glands (1+ WS)
Wings
Toxin Sacs
Total: 153

3 Warriors
Leaping
Scything
Rending
Adrenal Glands (1+WS)
Toxin Sacs
Total: 111

Troops
16 Gaunts
Fleshborers
Total: 96

16 Gaunts
Fleshborers
Total: 96

16 Hormagaunts
Adrenal Glands (+1WS)
Total: 176

8 Genestealers
2 Scything Talons
Total: 184

Heavy Support
2 Zoanthropes
Warp blast
Synapse creature
Total: 160

Carnifex
Venom Cannon
Barbed Strangler
Enhanced Senses
Total: 148

1 Flying Tyrant (HQ) 200
+S; 2xTL Dev; +BS; FH; Warp Field

1 Hive Tyrant (HQ) 156
+S; 2xTL Dev; +BS; +Save; The Shadow in the Warp

1 Lictor (Elites) 80

6 Warrior Brood (Elites) 270
RC; ST; +S; +I; +WS; EC; FH; Leaping

1 Carnifex (Elites) 114
2xTL Dev; +BS; FH

9 Genestealers (Troops) 189
EC; FH

9 Genestealers (Troops) 189
EC; FH

16 Gaunt Brood (Troops) 72
Fleshborer

15 Gaunt Brood (Troops) 55
Spinefist

3 Bio-Acid Spore Mine Cluster (Fast Attack) 36

3 Biovores (Heavy Support) 165
Bio-Acid Spore Mine

1 Carnifex (Heavy Support) 163
BS; VC; +BS; RC

3 Zoanthropes (Heavy Support) 195
Warp Blast; Synapse

Total Models : 75

Total: 2000pts

HQ:
Hive tyrant w/ enhanced senses, winged, and 2x twin-linked devourers = 141
Hive tyrant w/ enhanced senses, barbed strangler, and venom cannon = 130

Elites:
Carnifex w/ enhanced senses, and 2x twin-linked devourers = 113
Carnifex w/ flesh hooks, tail weapon - scythe, and 2x scything talons = 112
Carnifex w/ flesh hooks, tail weapon - scythe, and 2x scything talons = 112

Troops:
20x Hormagaunts = 200
20x Hormagaunts = 200
20x Hormagaunts = 200

Fast attack:
4x Raveners w/ 2x scything talons = 152
4x Raveners w/ 2x scything talons = 152

Heavy support:
Carnifex w/ enhanced senses, barbed strangler, and venom cannon = 148

Carnifex w/ extended carapace, flesh hooks, reinforced chitin, toxic miasma, tusked, crushing claws, and scything talons = 177

Carnifex w/ extended carapace, flesh hooks, reinforced chitin, toxic miasma, tusked, crushing claws, and scything talons = 177

Total = 2,014

Any feedback would be awesome.

HQ

Flyrant - 2x Scything Talons, Winged, Extended Carapace, Adrenal Glands (WS), Flesh Hooks - 164 pts

Hive Tyrant - 2x Twin-Linked Devourers, Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace, Enhanced Senses (BS), Flesh Hooks - 150 pts

ELITES

3x CCC (Close Combat Carnies) - 2x Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands (WS), Adrenal Glands (Init), Flesh Hooks - 112 pts each

TROOPS

2x 10 Hormagaunts - 100 pts each (fodder, basically . . . get out there quick, tie something up)

2x 10 Genestealers - Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Scything talons - 250 pts each

HEAVY SUPPORT

2x Carnifex - 2x Venom Cannons, Enchances Senses (BS), Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Regenerate - 233 pts each (Does regenerate have a chance to regenerate lost hit points that were only lost in last turn or rather if a Fex is at 1 wound, each turn you roll, in this case, 4 dice, to see if you get more back?)

Carnifex - 2x Twin-Linked Devourers, Enhanced Senses (BS), Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Regenerate, Flesh Hooks - 184 pts

Those are the first 5 threads in the Tyranid Army Lists section on Librarium-Online. Not five random threads I picked- the first five, in order. Go take a look there. Tyrants are certainly not underused.

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 01:12

You know, you really shouldn't get worked up. You guys live in different areas. Different gaming patterns ensue. He finds it hard to believe that things are different from what he's used to. Zomgx, I'm so overwhelmed. No actually, I care so little I almost passed out. Really, the fact that you haven't seen them doesn't mean jack to him; while him seeing them doesn't mean jack to you, it's all relative, and you are basically trying to do the same thing to his statements here that he was doing to yours- belittling their value.

In fact, though there was mild provocation, this post here is a little volatile for a response. Tone it down next time, OK?

Str10_hurts
15-10-2007, 01:47
Fire prisms are probably the only unit i havent seen on the table top... ever!

And good reason they suck in every dimensional direction! One shot...wich is worse than the hammer head, but no pay the double points and you will get a weapon that is slightly better than a hammerhead! :(
And the competion of the falcon: a heavy gunboat, that can transport 6 meltaguns, rending weapons or even just scoring units.

Stella Cadente
15-10-2007, 02:15
Those are the first 5 threads in the Tyranid Army Lists section on Librarium-Online. Not five random threads I picked- the first five, in order. Go take a look there. Tyrants are certainly not underused.
That changes nothing to me, I still have never seen any

Ronin_eX
15-10-2007, 02:45
I'm surprised Storm Guardians haven't come up at all or did the latest codex finally make them worthwhile? Seriously there is no reason to take them as opposed to a normal guardian or any of the fantastic assault specialists already in the Eldar list. Other than their I4 they have little going for them against most units. Though I think with the new changes to Orks they may be a good enough choice against light infantry to be workable (with fleet and a high I they should usually get the drop on Orks, Guard and other units but they will need support). That and I don't think I've seen anyone use them since 2nd edition.

TheNZer
15-10-2007, 06:08
Probebly Rough riders or Orgyrens

Agamemnon2
15-10-2007, 06:50
Ogryns are up there, but despite the fact that they suck horribly there are plenty of people who take them simply because GW says they're a powerful assault unit.

Or because they really like Ogryns. I take mine because there's something endearing about giant mutants with the brainpower of a small child, the strength of a raging bull, the marksmanship of a Grot and a fanatical loyalty to the Emperor.

Admiral Samuel Eden
15-10-2007, 07:08
Personally I would say that the tech-priest engineer and the penitent engine are the least used units along with all traitor guardsmen. Dont see a lot of those.
What about Wulfen come to think of it, who has has seen someone use the good old thirteenth company?

KorcheZ
15-10-2007, 07:36

lol havnt even heard of those :p

polymphus
15-10-2007, 07:57
Another hand up for the "I like penitent engines" vote. The number of times I've had them take nasty enemy combat units to pieces is through the roof. I've also considered using Ogryns and find that, while fragile, they are extremely effective if used properly. That and they're just plain cool.

I'll agree with Enginseers though. I considered using one briefly, packing him in a chimera with a squad of servitors, but reading over the rules...yuck. No thanks. Never seen one used, never will use one myself.

elvinltl
15-10-2007, 08:01
Guardians? Dire Avengers are the Man!

TrooperTino
15-10-2007, 10:20
there were times when I allways took an IG-Enginseer. I field a lot of tanks and so I thought its fluffy and cool. He never ever repaired anything, got killed nearly every game, and his only use now is as objektiv-marker every now and then... (a very cool looking objectiv-marker BTW)

Quentin
15-10-2007, 10:54
Ratling Sniper's.

The_Outsider
15-10-2007, 11:07
I'd imagine ratlings are useful as snipers get past guardsmen typically lackluster BS and S weapons.

Quentin
15-10-2007, 11:11
I'd imagine ratlings are useful as snipers get past guardsmen typically lackluster BS and S weapons.

Yeah, but that being said, I never see them in any army lists or on the tabletop.

Cannoness Radegunda
15-10-2007, 11:18
Got to agree with the Repentia haters

A whole unit of I1 low save expensive models. Basically designed during a completely different version of the assault rules and somehow snuck through. Can't see how anyone would take them. I've got a unit painted who end up as DCAs more often than not.

Also - and this has been mentioned once before - but Inquisitors. Only really ever picked to enable WH/DH players access to Assassins, no real role in either codex. You go shooty and in both 'dexes there are better value options, you go H2H and you still have a S3, T3, pointlessly expensive IC who dies when confronted by any one elses HQ.

And finally - Priests. Nuff said

Keravin
15-10-2007, 11:29
Yeah, but that being said, I never see them in any army lists or on the tabletop.

That's down to the figures rather than the unit.

If they were IG Snipers then they would be taken more often (and indeed various people have been doing counts as).

Axel
15-10-2007, 11:41
Repentias.

And I really fail to understand why anybody can even mention Rough Riders. They are probably the most cost efficient cc unit in the game (well, the models need, err, ... take FWs Death Riders).

Sephtar II
15-10-2007, 12:04
I rather like repentias... and penitent engines.....

I will go for enginseers, they should work like DA techmarines and take up no FOC slot, then they would be worth it, especialy with more baneblades around.

knighthawke70
15-10-2007, 13:39
Ratling Sniper's.

i have them in my IG army. needless to say i used them and they earn their money. just when they get into CC they're done. but they are fun.

Maximuspandem
15-10-2007, 13:45
Priests. Nuff said

Seconded, although galloping in at number 2 are rough riders.

Captain Micha
15-10-2007, 13:55
Number 1 Anything Dark Eldar... (because no one plays them after all!)
Number 2 Pariah (come on.... it's pants.. in any other army it wouldn't be.. but in it's own army context it's pants.. too slow mainly)
Number 3 Kroot oxes... (Just because everyone else is an idiot... heavy weapons? Yes gimme more please!)
Number 4 Vespid... (most people can't grasp the concept of using them right...they are meant to soften up the target and their pts cost really isn't that bad for a squad of them. and can be quite useful to your kroot forces as well as suits)
Number 5 Gun Drones... (I'm sorry twin linked at bs 2 is still bs 2)
Number 6 Space Marine bikers (because most marine players are frankly idiots... high mobility and big guns? yes.. yes I would like some please! then again.. why bother when you can have ass cannon speeders)
Number 7 Storm Guardians... (great tarpit.. but this is Eldar.. why would they have a tarpit? when their race is dying?)

Number 8 all of the ork codex currently because it is pants

Polonius
15-10-2007, 14:13
I've never seen any of the following in a game: Stikk bomba boys, Eldar Artillery (D-cannon and stuff), Scout Bikes, Techpriests (and I own one), Hellions, Grotesques, Techmarines, Repentia or Purgation squads.

Overall, I'd imagine the least used unit in the game is Stikk Bomma boys. Simply awful rules, the models are plastic/metal hybrids that aren't particularly exciting, and the unit does not fill any role on the tabletop. Another poster stated that there are no useless units, and while I suppose that's true, the range of usefulness for these guys has to be pretty narrow. They lose Choppas, so start out worse than Slugga boys against MeQ's and tougher. They have Frag and Krak, so can assault light infantry in cover and can assault light vehicles. Considering that the elite Orks (skarboys and hardboys) can boy frag if they want to, yet nobody does, I'm inclined to believe that there is little advantage in having frag stikkbombs, certainly on a unit without choppas. finally, Krak Stickbombs are a nice bonus, but tankbustas get better bombs for only an extra point, the nob can take a powerclaw to be far more effective, and the limited speed of Orks means they won't catch too many vehicles. Finally, assaulting a vehicle means the boys can be shot in the opponents turn, unless it's a dread.

For tactical reasons, coupled with unimpressive (but nice looking) models that cost more than the superior options, I would suggest Stikk bommas to be the least used unit in 40k.

IJW
15-10-2007, 14:29
why is it people are like this round here?
It's probably related to wording like "Harlequins (cus people have realized they suck)" about the most-used Eldar unit in tourneys after Falcons, Farseers and Dragons.

EDIT - on-topic, I'd go for:
Storm Guardians for Eldar as they are overshadowed so much by the CC specialist choices.
NOT Ogryns for IG, as one of the local players makes extremely good use of them.
Biovores for Tyranids, because they aren't very effective for their costs and simply can't compete in usefulness of 'cool' with the other HS choices.

Pretty well everything else that people have mentioned I've seen used locally, apart from the DE stuff and Pariahs. Yes, one of the local DH players uses Daemonhosts!

Stella Cadente
15-10-2007, 14:31
It's probably related to wording like "Harlequins (cus people have realized they suck)" about the most-used Eldar unit in tourneys after Falcons, Farseers and Dragons.
the day I SEE a Harlequin kill a single thing, will be the day I die

IJW
15-10-2007, 14:38
:confused: How many players do you have locally? I'm not trying to be funny, that's a serious question.

Polonius
15-10-2007, 14:46

Wow. I don't want to be a jerk, but Harlies are hit most things on 3's, get the charge on most things, wound most things on the charge on 4's, can get rending attacks, a single power weapon, and melta pistols. While fragile and expensive, they kill things. they really, really do.

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 16:57
why is it people are like this round here? is it my fault that I see NONE of these units?, god people around here can be annoying

Not gonna lie, it's probably because of how you retaliate.

just because you see them in lists doesn't mean jack

For example.

Penitent
15-10-2007, 17:19

You aren't likely to live a long life then.

I rarely see Storm Guardians, though I'm intrigued at the idea of having three cheap flamer templates in my army.

I haven't seen Spawn fielded as a unit.

Stella Cadente
15-10-2007, 17:23
:confused: How many players do you have locally? I'm not trying to be funny, that's a serious question.
umm lemme think for a second....it averages from 15-20, between 2 different stores, so 7-10 people per store, about 5 of those 20 play Eldar, and 4 of them have Harlequins, I've played against them each at least 2 times, with my guard they kill nothing, and I once actually beat them in combat, and with my marines I haven't played them as much but they still have killed nothing, 2 of those players actually no longer use them because of there poor performance

I've actually lost more men in combat to those close combat guardians

Polonius
15-10-2007, 17:27
Well, congrats on having an anomolous experience. What you describe is both unlikely and odd, but it's a big world, and it's bound to happen. I think outside of your expereince, however, people are pretty pleased with Harlies, and they'd certainly not make any Least Used Units lists in my area.

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 17:28
Used Spawn once. 1000 point battle, figuring out the new 'dex. Using someone else's models, and I had 40 points I couldn't fill out any other way with his collection. The thing hit the center of the board and died, even in cover it got fried. All 3 wounds disappeared fairly easily. It's uncontrollable; it has no armor; it's too expensive to use as a shield unit, and too slow.

The_Outsider
15-10-2007, 18:36
umm lemme think for a second....it averages from 15-20, between 2 different stores, so 7-10 people per store, about 5 of those 20 play Eldar, and 4 of them have Harlequins, I've played against them each at least 2 times, with my guard they kill nothing, and I once actually beat them in combat, and with my marines I haven't played them as much but they still have killed nothing, 2 of those players actually no longer use them because of there poor performance

To expand on that on a slightly wonky angle-

My talos managed to kill a great daemon the other week without even batting an eyelid.

The odds of that happening are stupidly low but claiming that "greater daemons suck as a unit from a decade old dex can beat them" doesn't mean that GD's suck.

While true this entire thread is anecdotal and based on opinion certain units no matter how you look at it are simply "good" for their intended purpose. Harliequins come under this category.

The Orange
15-10-2007, 19:10
I'd say Eldar Support Weapon Platforms, simply because their are so many great Eldar HS optoins it competes with (the cost of getting 3 of those things doesn't help either).

Beyond that, how about Aun'Va, no one likes the Space Pope cuz he's worse then even ethereals.

I would think the mobility would be a nice thing to have to get an early set up in a great fire lane? Especially in something like City Fight, flying up to the top of a building and laying down the pain.

Krootox.

I use them, I'm probably the only one that does too :(.

Number 3 Kroot oxes... (Just because everyone else is an idiot... heavy weapons? Yes gimme more please!)
Officially confused, what were you trying to say there?

Number 4 Vespid...
I (try to) use those too :p.

Statistically it's more like BS 3.5.

pendargon
15-10-2007, 19:47
Sisters repentia... just terrible

catbarf
15-10-2007, 20:22
why is it people are like this round here? is it my fault that I see NONE of these units?, god people around here can be annoying

Don't call it fact unless you intend to be shot down painfully.

Stella Cadente
15-10-2007, 20:42
Don't call it fact unless you intend to be shot down painfully.
but it is a fact, it is a fact that I no longer see these units, its a fact I have not lost a man to them, its all fact

Cheesolith
15-10-2007, 21:00
Least used MODEL or actual unit?
In the first case, it would be the FW Manta Missile Destroyer.
In the second case it's a tie between anything from the Sisters.

Least used wargear seems to be the Solar Pulse. Useful conditions are just too rare.

Str10_hurts
15-10-2007, 21:04
Well i'm on stella's side, but let me correct the wording:

The day I SEE a Harlequin kill a single thing of my army that might be slightly important, will be the day I die.

There just glas cannons.
I see them getting used alot around here and stupid people wil let them wipe out there enire army by T3 5+ save units.
The same has to be said about the brood lord...losing fleet for tyranids is just kicking a man in the groin.

Wyndstar
15-10-2007, 21:31
Least used units? I'll only list ones that I haven't seen even a single time over the last 10 years:

Hellions (DE)
Kruellagh (DE)
Decapitator (DE)
Asdrubael Vect (DE)
Winged rippers (Tyranids)
Culexus Assassin (DH/WH)
Marine Scout Bikes (SM)
Normal Landspeeder (no upgrades) (SM)
Ultramarines Tyrannic War Veterans (SM)
Aun'Va (Tau)
Baharroth (Eldar)

Everything else in the game I've seen at least once over the last decade. I've played at some pretty large stores in several large cities... but somehow have never run into someone using one of the above. If you've ever actually managed to square off against one of these, I'm jealous. I'd love to just see them used.

- Wyndstar

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 21:35
but it is a fact, it is a fact that I no longer see these units, its a fact I have not lost a man to them, its all fact

OK. In your experience, they are not used. In some other people's experience, they are not used. Has something to do with not being the same people. In my opinion, you folks all just need to let it die already. We should be far and away beyond this conversation already.

That's to both sides. I sympathize, Cadente, but I can't say it was completely unprovoked. You helped this whole thing escalate.

Democratus
15-10-2007, 21:53
Chaos Possesed.

They just don't make it past the cost/benefit analysis in my local area.

Chaplain Ark
15-10-2007, 23:38
Fire prisms are probably the only unit i havent seen on the table top... ever!

And good reason they suck in every dimensional direction! One shot...wich is worse than the hammer head, but no pay the double points and you will get a weapon that is slightly better than a hammerhead! :(
And the competion of the falcon: a heavy gunboat, that can transport 6 meltaguns, rending weapons or even just scoring units.

First i would like to point out everyone has thier own opinion and i respect that.

Now for my rant.

Though the fire prism does only have one shot and that does **** me off, it is a extremely versitile vehicle. In every game i played i used the fire prism as a heavy support choice. (save the infantry only games i played at my friends house.) in three games i killed seven thousand sons, 1 chaos sorceror, 2 hammerheads, 9 sm, 47 guardsmen, and god knows how many kroot and fire warriors. Teh other games i used it in i lost count of what it killed (what i wrote was most recent) and it has never let me down, save whan it got shot by 7 lascannons (even holofields can only do so much.) the problem is that because it is suposed to be the land raider of eldar armies, poeple look down upon it because of its 12 armor and and one shot, but people fail to realize that that tank can kill ANYTHING very easily.

But i do agree that the falcon is better. Though i never used it as a troop transport, always relied on my wave serpent for that.

Which brings me to another point. how come the Wave serpent is under used in table top?

Patriarch
16-10-2007, 00:00
Is the enginseer really that bad? Same pv as the junior officer squad, but with better kit. 25 points for the honorifica imperialis and he's a 3+sv power weapon + power fist monster, at least in IG terms. In fact the only model worth giving the HI to.

Can't really see anyone taking him to actually repair tanks though.

Imperialis_Dominatus
16-10-2007, 00:06
Is the enginseer really that bad? Same pv as the junior officer squad, but with better kit. 25 points for the honorifica imperialis and he's a 3+sv power weapon + power fist monster, at least in IG terms. In fact the only model worth giving the HI to.

Can't really see anyone taking him to actually repair tanks though.

Don't think many people take him for his repair abilities.

I kinda like the idea; if you had a ton of combat servitors, he'd rip some stuff up. But for that price, you could induct a few GK Termies, and they are just brutal

Also, the Sanctioned Psyker is a fun unit to give an Honorifica. It'd really put a look of fear on your opponent's face when he realizes his Chaos Lord's facing a hidden WS 4(5 w/Hardened Veterans), I 4 Force Weapon. S3, but still.

AngryAngel
16-10-2007, 00:08
flayed ones probaly because for a the same point cost as a warrior they have no shooting ability and one more attack, which with an I 2 isn't great. Admittedly they have the good special rules, but some people might not be able to look past the lack of anti marine capabilities or the fact that guardsmen stike before them. I cant see why tomb spyders wont be used, they're cheap for what you get, though the low ws makes them easier to hit that is balanced by how tough they are, plus monstrous creature, fearless and creating scarabs are also rather good.
Anything from dark eldar codex is just taking the mick, plenty of experienced players use dark eldar, its just certain units like grotesques that are never used.
Harlequins do not suck, they can munch through entire space marine squads in a turn and still want some more. The only problem is their fragility and lack of transport, but the dance of death rules, shadowseer and some good cover cancel out their fragility, and as for transports, in citys of death and apocalypse, just use sewer rats/tunnels and call it the webway.
Swooping hawks and warp spiders are also god units, and I believe are used quite frequently. Spiders special jump pack rules make them brilliant against fast armies, and swooping hawks can put some serious pain on horde armies. No problems with their rules, and I dont think other players see ny either, so they are used.

The flayed ones have init 4 unless I'm mistaken, so there is a reason to take them. As well as a midly durable CC buffer for slower less attack warriors.

As for what I think is the bad ?..Myself I think techmarines..even in the DA codex are bad. Expensive for what you'd want of them, the servitors aren't that good at all, and if you wish to use them for shooting they won't be doing much repairing. Oh and did I mention repairing the vehicles sucks as he has to be in base to base ?

I almost never ever ever see one taken..or purchased..or even talked about.

Shadowseer Crofty
16-10-2007, 01:11
The flayed ones have init 4 unless I'm mistaken, so there is a reason to take them. As well as a midly tought CC buffer for slower less attack warriors.

my mistake, I double checked and I think I was looking at the A column. can't work out why they aren't that common then.

TheMav80
16-10-2007, 02:10
Ethereals. I pay fifty points just to be able to reroll morale checks in line of sight? Wooooow. At least give the guy a gun or something! That said, I own one and use him sometimes to get an honor guard. There are better ways to spend points, but I just do it for kicks sometimes.

As an addendum to that, Aun'va is even worse.

Dark Muse
16-10-2007, 02:34
The drachm: Imperial units for the win

Alternatively the hellion: Sort of cool model but crappy rules.

Bunnahabhain
16-10-2007, 02:44
Rough riders without lances!

A more expensive guardsman, who can't use fleet if they want to fire, and can't use their extra change range, as they still die so easily in combat....

Kasonic
16-10-2007, 02:47

Twin-linked BS2 is better than BS3(56% vs. 50%) :confused:

I'm going to cheat here, and say the Forge World Atlas Recovery Vehicle. You can't contest that one.

Penitent
16-10-2007, 03:05
Which brings me to another point. how come the Wave serpent is under used in table top?

Funny, I see Wave Serpents fairly frequently, including in my own armies.

That said, I imagine they aren't more common, as they are pretty expensive for a non-scoring transport, albeit a pretty shooty transport.

fwacho
16-10-2007, 05:54
Ican say that I feild swooping hawks regularly.
Priests have become incredibly popular among my IG playing firends. (with the right combos they can turn an IG command squad into a slayer unit, just ask my raven wing)
I used to run pariahs,flayed ones, and tomb spyders in my old Necron army (which I sold) of course back in third they were effective. not so much now.
I had a friedn try the IG egineseer and then decide it was a bad idea.
I have a squad of mortars in my IG that see use about 1 in every 4 games. vs. non -MEQ they ain't that bad.

One thign I have never seen in 10 years of gaming...
Eldar shadoweaver support platfroms. the one with the str 6 blast templates. I have two eldar armies and I can't say I've even so much as played witht he idea of using them. That and they are so overshadowed by other options.

Ork stikk bombas are another unseen unit (for good reason)
I've never seen ork kommandoes but I think that might be changing. Ork lootas have been pretty rare in the past as well.

I 've never seen ratling snipers or ogryns (despite having an IG army and playing against 3 others regularly)

blackroyal
16-10-2007, 06:28
I would think the mobility would be a nice thing to have to get an early set up in a great fire lane? Especially in something like City Fight, flying up to the top of a building and laying down the pain.

Compare 5 Scourges with 3 DL costing 155pts (you COULD make them more expensive) to a Ravager Fast Skimmer with the same 3 DL for 105...

I'd never use them.

Phazael
16-10-2007, 07:02
My top five least seen:

Eldar Nightspinner Artilery Platform: Even I (who own over 15k of eldar) do not even own one of these useless things.

Ork Painboss: This guy with his cybork squad is actually pretty awesome, but no one ever takes them.

Ork Wartrack: Dirt Cheap fast firepower that orks never ever seem to want to take. I can't recall the last time I saw one of these. I think I have even seen Stikbommers more often than these.

Sisters Retributors: A heavy weapon squad who can take Multimeltas, costing well over what a Exhorcist does. No one loves these poor girls.

Landspeeder Typhoon: No one likes the crappy Typhoon missle launcher.

Shadowseer Crofty
16-10-2007, 12:36
Eldar Nightspinner Artilery Platform: Even I (who own over 15k of eldar) do not even own one of these useless things.

I wouldn't have thought forgeworld stuff counted for this, otherwise-nightwings, phoenixes, void dragon phoenixes, firestorms, vampire raiders, vampire hunters, cobras, razorwings, shadowswords, reaver titans, chaos titans, gargants, battlewagons, mantas, orcas, thunderhawks, vultures, valkyries, the list goes on...

Nemo84
16-10-2007, 12:55
Sisters Retributors: A heavy weapon squad who can take Multimeltas, costing well over what a Exhorcist does. No one loves these poor girls.

Well, anyone equipping their Retributors with anything else than 4 Heavy Bolters needs to report to the nearest Inquisition stronghold for immediate repenting. Multimeltas would be awesome weapons if only they were assault weapons like Heavy Flamers. I think any unit equipped with them ends up totally useless.

And I'll add another vote for Repentia and Penitent Engines. The former need Feel No Pain and the latter need smoke launchers included in the unit cost at the very least. Maybe they should also drop the Priest-requirement. 40+ extra points for a unit that will dramatically lower the effectiveness of most units he can be attached to? :wtf:

I'll also add Arcoflaggellants: great units but no decent delivery mechanism and again the need for that worthless priest.

Hlokk
16-10-2007, 13:28
Units I've never seen/played against:

Lascannon equipped devistators: 35 points for a LC vs 15 points in a tac squad kind of makes them redundant to a lot of people.

Chaos spawn: Probably because their far too unreliable to be of much use.

Wraithguard: £9 a model

Dark reapers: No explanation for this one, their just a unit I've never fought against but would love to.

Tau sniper drones: again, no idea why not, the rules are nice and the models are beautiful

Ork stormboyz: Probably a waste of points considering normal boyz seem to be nearly as good

Grotz: I assume its because their expencive (money wise).

vyper
16-10-2007, 14:16
Off Topic:

Rough riders without lances!

A more expensive guardsman, who can't use fleet if they want to fire, and can't use their extra change range, as they still die so easily in combat....

I've been debating the merits of this unit with some friends, and I genuinely don't think they are that bad.

Effectively, for +2pts per model, you get:
1) Increased assault range, plus fleet of foot. This is nice as it gives you a more mobile unit without having a chimers (or drop troops/infiltrators)

2) Close combat weapon + laspistol, If you want a cheap CC unit, they aren't all that bad, firing laspistols, then assaulting is still a fair few dice to roll. (plus this alone would cost you 2pts per model with warrior weapons)

3) The option of having two special weapons, once again, keeping the squad mobile, and hard hitting on an assault (meltaguns?)

4) Extra wargear, the vet sergeant can take a power weapon, which is nice, and the squad gets discount meltabombs (4pts per model, instead of 5pts for most other squads)

I definately think that there is potential there, although I am aware that hunting lance RRs are stupidly good for their points value.

On Topic:

I'm yet to see enginseers and ogryns used in a guard army, sanctioned psykers are very rare as well. Also, heavy weapon platoons are fairly rare, as they can normally be attached to the HQ anyway, and the HS slots normally go to tanks instead.

darkprincewilson
16-10-2007, 14:29

I second this. I tried to field scourges with no success.

The_Outsider
16-10-2007, 14:49
However splinter cannon scourges are worth their weight in gold vs a gaunt horde.

Supremearchmarshal
16-10-2007, 15:04
However splinter cannon scourges are worth their weight in gold vs a gaunt horde.

Not really - they're still horribly expensive and fragile. I'd rather have more Warriors.

Captain Micha
16-10-2007, 15:18
Orange,
I'm saying the common perception of the krootox is that they suck.. to me they don't nestle them in cover, and you have a ludicrously tough to kill autocannon.. I like them.. everyone else doesn't it seems..

as for vespid.. I used to think they sucked.. but now I'm not so sure, really thinking about them I think everyone's that thinks they do just is being lazy.

That being said, I think out of the whole of the Tau codex those are probably our least used units..

Also, I've -never- had a gun drone hit the broadside of a barn.. neither has my friend.. we only take them on fish to keep the fish cheap

Imperialis_Dominatus
16-10-2007, 15:39
Not really - they're still horribly expensive and fragile. I'd rather have more Warriors.

Alas, many an expensive but unique unit has fallen to the reasoning that one should have more boots on the ground. One of the failings of GW is to make some units more attractive than the basic troop choice.

Take CSM for example. I think they are the best troop choice in the game atm.

Then look at Possessed, Dreadnoughts, Lesser Daemons, and Spawn. Few will take these. What will they spend those points on? I'd do more CSM.

EDIT: Post 400! w00txor.

rintinglen
16-10-2007, 15:51
I have to go with Imperial Priests.
I have one, but only used him once as an acolyte for an inquisitor.
The only other list I ever saw with one in it was for early 3rd or late 2nd edition Frateris Militia, and I never saw an army of that ilk.
That said though, there is in almost every codex at least one unit that is so overcosted compared to its FOC compatriots that no one takes it.

Lord_Squinty
16-10-2007, 17:10
Dark lance scourges.
Or better known as "Pointless Scourges"
Jump pack troops with move or fire heavy weapons...?

Nobody uses them.
In fact - I think ive seen every unit in the game used at least once - but never them..

Admiral Koppenflak
16-10-2007, 17:18
least used unit? Hmm... This is pretty subjective, I suppose, but I'll bite...

Imperial Guard mortars are a good candidate for clear reasons - there are simply much better HWs to field than that thing.

And do special characters count? Cause I could certainly name a few there...

Captain Micha
16-10-2007, 17:21
I suppose so! Shrike comes to mind in that case

knighthawke70
16-10-2007, 17:22
DE is the least used, they just need a royal make over and that is just sad. ork lobbas, DH death-cult assassins & others, deamonhosts, cant think of anything else

Galatan
16-10-2007, 17:30
I would say squats.....but they are kinda dead:p.

After that....dark eldar helions. Dark Eldar are already rarely used (although they still seem to be populair in england) and the few times I've seen dark eldar they have never used helions. When I think about it...I've hardly ever seen a dark eldar fast attack choice...It has always been massed transports with warriors and wyches.

Cheers,
Galatan

Bunnahabhain
16-10-2007, 18:35
Mortars are used fairly regularly in one case:

Officers taking and important command and control position, ie hiding behind the thickest cover they can find, to provide hard to kill Ld, and lobbing shots at the enemy with a mortar. I've both done it and faced it.

Actual mortar squads are fairly rare though. Same cost and availability as a heavy bolter squad. It's not much of a choice...

MuttMan
16-10-2007, 19:30
Dark Eldar: Grotesques
Eldar: Vibro-Cannon HWT's
Space Marines: Whirlwind
Chaos Marines: Spawns
Orks(current): Stikk Bommas
Witch Hunters: Priests
Daemon Hunters: Daemonhosts
Imperial Guard: Special Weapons Teams/Griffon
Necrons: Flayed Ones
Tyranid: Biovores
Kroot: Punji Traps

Small codexes not included, nonrefundable purchases and no cash back.

Nev-man!!!
16-10-2007, 19:32
For about 10 years now I have never EVER seen a unit of scout bikers, and for obvious reasons!

Grimtuff
16-10-2007, 19:35
Dark reapers: No explanation for this one, their just a unit I've never fought against but would love to.

Are you some kind of Wargaming masochist HK? :p

Chaplain Ark
16-10-2007, 23:30
Is it just me, or is everyone else pissed off that GW forgot about DE?

Are they bringing them back, or is that just a rumor?

Supremearchmarshal
16-10-2007, 23:40
Is it just me, or is everyone else pissed off that GW forgot about DE?

Are they bringing them back, or is that just a rumor?

They are coming back, the most obvious indicators being their releases for Apocalypse, their inclusion in the next DoW expansion and JJ mentioning that their codex will be done before the Necrons.

Oh, and something about two DE units usually declared useless:
Grotesques - their ability is to make any enemy automatically rout if they lose the combat vs the Grotesques - very useful if you use the Grotesques to support another unit.
Mandrakes - hide them in cover and contest table quarters or objectives - 2+ cover saves are nothing to sneeze at.

Stella Cadente
16-10-2007, 23:52
Mandrakes - hide them in cover and contest table quarters or objectives - 2+ cover saves are nothing to sneeze at.
Time to get my flamers ready, SIZZLE

Imperialis_Dominatus
16-10-2007, 23:58
They are coming back, the most obvious indicators being their releases for Apocalypse, their inclusion in the next DoW expansion and JJ mentioning that their codex will be done before the Necrons.

Next we'll be seeing cover-to-cover WDs on how to do this and that DE stuff, with new releases blatantly advertised on every other page. Then will come the official announcement of a long overdue Codex, and some **** quip about GW's benevolence. Hype will rise and rise until the day the DE Codex is released, upon which every member here will find a copy and declare it omgwtfbbqroflolmfao broken or similarly nerfed. The board will be flooded with arguments for the next decade about how broken DE are or how nerfed, while defenders say 'it's not like every other army isn't broken somehow.' Finally, a new edition and a new Codex will sort everything out. Oh wait, that'll start it all again.

Just a premonition, if you will...

Polonius
17-10-2007, 00:02
I know many DE players who really don't mind the old Codex. Powerwise, it fits right into the upper middle of the pack with webway wych cult. It's one of the only armies with plenty of anti-tank, it's got potent assault elements, and most of it's good stuff is amazingly cheap. While it's woefully dated, IMO it fits better with 4th edition than the current IG codex does.

Supremearchmarshal
17-10-2007, 12:54
Next we'll be seeing cover-to-cover WDs on how to do this and that DE stuff, with new releases blatantly advertised on every other page. Then will come the official announcement of a long overdue Codex, and some **** quip about GW's benevolence. Hype will rise and rise until the day the DE Codex is released, upon which every member here will find a copy and declare it omgwtfbbqroflolmfao broken or similarly nerfed. The board will be flooded with arguments for the next decade about how broken DE are or how nerfed, while defenders say 'it's not like every other army isn't broken somehow.' Finally, a new edition and a new Codex will sort everything out. Oh wait, that'll start it all again.

Just a premonition, if you will...

Hm... sounds familiar somehow :D

Earthbeard
17-10-2007, 15:43
Hardly ever see Tyranid gargoyles.

knighthawke70
17-10-2007, 15:45
rough riders, tech-marines, tomb spyders, c'tan's (continuation from 1st thread)

LoneSniperSG
17-10-2007, 16:19
Ogryns are pretty bad.
Penitent engines.
Vespids

Penitent Engines? I've heard nothing but renown for them. A giant, bladed death machine that charges into combat no matter the odds?

... Okay, maybe you have a point.

What about transports? I hear all the time how the rhino rush is dead, so is there now no real reason to take them?

Imperialis_Dominatus
17-10-2007, 17:23
Hm... sounds familiar somehow :D

Does it? Do you think? Really?:angel:

Darkhorse
17-10-2007, 17:39

Depends on the Guard, They're near enough obligatory in Mechanised forces.
I vote Commissars, Apart from Yarrick I haven't seen one since... (sucks through teeth) The codex was released come to think of it...:eek:

leonmallett
17-10-2007, 17:48

Agreed, but if they ever do the plastic Gargoyles as Jes Goodwin stated he wanted to, then I would not be surprised if that changed.

To my mind there are a few factors that influence whether units are widely seen:
- expense (cash to assemble a viable unit)
- expense (points value as a cost-benefit compared to alternative choices)
- game rules: fitting that 'niche' in the army
- personal view of the quality of sculpts
- preference for metal or plastic models

Laughingmonk
17-10-2007, 18:33
Eldar: Vibro-Cannon HWT's

This I find odd, considering how awesome they are, and aren't entirely expensive, and has a decent model.

Oh well, must be becuase of the awesome war walker and falcon models.

I would actually put forth regular, bog standard rangers (as opposed to pathfinders) as the least used unit for eldar. There just isn't any excuse for NOT taking the pathfinder upgrade. Wraithguard would be a close second.

Kveld-Ulf
17-10-2007, 18:36
Tyranid Biovores: I've never seen them played. When I asked a few nid players about them, they just look away in shame.

Repentia/Penitent: Good for a fluff army, bad for everything else.

Phoenix Lords: I could justify using a few of these models, mainly Maugan Ra, but most of them aren't all that useful.

Blutrache
17-10-2007, 18:59
Guard Mortars. Who would ever take a mortar over anything else?

And Chaos Dreads and Possessed. Easily identifiable as liabilities and/or point sinks.

Vespids. Cuz they're g'dam ***** models (and has no easily identified battlefield role)

Imperialis_Dominatus
17-10-2007, 19:11
Vespids. Cuz they're g'dam ***** models (and has no easily identified battlefield role)

Haha, story here. I was playing Tau the other day, he used a Vespid squad cause he said he was trying to figure them out, i.e. battlefield role. One of my squads was trying to destroy a Hammerhead and his Vespids swooped in, lost one to Difficult Terrain, and nearly wiped out the squad. Then he charged (!) the Aspiring Champion with a power fist. Silly mortal. I wiped the Vespid out.

'Twas fun.

EDIT: He still won though.

Dio´Ra
17-10-2007, 19:43
What about transports? I hear all the time how the rhino rush is dead, so is there now no real reason to take them?

mobile terrain and you can move up range and shoot your enemy to death (SoB mech), rhinos will allways remain good for their points cost unlike the chimera.

Jayden63
18-10-2007, 07:05
Ork Stikkbommas

My thoughts exactly. There is nothing worse in the whole of 40K than the ork stikkbomber.

cruzcontrol39
18-10-2007, 08:38
I have never seen anyone use Piriahs, hell i can't even spell it! I also have never seen anyone field rough riders. They really should come out with new models for those guys.

Imperialis_Dominatus
18-10-2007, 08:59
They really should come out with new models for those guys.

And that's the only reason they aren't fielded often. Check my post in the "New Models- Warning! Imaginaion Required!" thread. There you will see some compiled support for new RR models. :cool:

bratbag
18-10-2007, 09:01
Imperial Guard Tech Priest.

Can be used to provide an overpriced firebase, a sucky CC unit or a vehicle repairer with the worst rules ever (you have to start your turn in b2b with what you want to fix...)

CapnBob
18-10-2007, 09:16

Same here. And I OWN them. I never play them because the models are far too cumbersome. The 2nd edition models were bad enough just being pewter on small flight stands, but the 3rd edition had to go and add extra weight and HORRIBLE engineering to the mix. I like their rules fine, they just need better models.

The_Outsider
18-10-2007, 14:51
This one time - I **** you not - I saw a SM commander who wasn't a librarian or chaplain.

Supremearchmarshal
18-10-2007, 14:56
This one time - I **** you not - I saw a SM commander who wasn't a librarian or chaplain.

Interestingly I use one occasionally, as well as standard Land Speeders (often) and the Techmarine (also quite often).

Happy
18-10-2007, 15:12
Squats. I haven't seen a properly fielded Squat army in years. :D

john-connors
18-10-2007, 15:17
Dark Eldar Grotesques, as the ultimate in Ld test to, ignore squad screeners.

Lord_Squinty
18-10-2007, 17:50

YOU LIE!!! :wtf:

Are you sure it wasnt just a librarian who forgot to wear his psychic hat? :D

Yorrik's_Uncle
24-10-2007, 22:19
An interesting thread... Personally, I like to use both scourges and hellions in my DE lists. Mind you, there are certainly better options, but I mean come on...hobgoblin clones and bat-winged dark eldar? I couldn't resist. :) I find that splinter cannons and a tooled up sybarite are more useful in scourge lists, but the dark lances are actually a pretty decent option on boards with tons of scenery, to be honest. Smaller targets than Ravagers...and can take more wounds.

I also enjoy using Ogryn in my IG lists. Not much more than speed bumps in most cases, but I have used them to pretty decent effect in assaulting necron warrior squads. Odd, but true. Their chief problem is getting them to spots on the battlefield where they can actually do some good (where *you* pick your target rather than the other way around)...but when they do, they're actually not too shabby.

The one thing I have NEVER seen, however, is a Necron Lord WITHOUT a res orb. I'm beginning to suspect that they simply don't exist... ;)

Supremearchmarshal
24-10-2007, 22:29
I also enjoy using Ogryn in my IG lists. Not much more than speed bumps in most cases, but I have used them to pretty decent effect in assaulting necron warrior squads. Odd, but true. Their chief problem is getting them to spots on the battlefield where they can actually do some good (where *you* pick your target rather than the other way around)...but when they do, they're actually not too shabby.

Agreed, they can be pretty good if you get them in the right place and keep them away from S8 weapons.

The one thing I have NEVER seen, however, is a Necron Lord WITHOUT a res orb. I'm beginning to suspect that they simply don't exist... ;)

Also:
a Daemon Prince without wings
an Archon without a Shadowfield
a Kult of Speed Warboss without a warbike
a Slaanesh Sorcerer without the Lash
a Falcon without a Holo-Field
a Tyranid army without a Carnifex
a SM Rhino without Extra Armour (not DA/BA)

ChaosMaster
25-10-2007, 04:46
Hardened Vets in IG armies. They are terrific, but because they eat a lot of points and die just as quickly as regular IG squads, they are rarely used. That said, I try to use mine once in a while because they are one of the few heavily customized looking squads in my army and when they do get close enough to do their job they do it extremely well!

Vostroyan
25-10-2007, 05:45
I think it would be the space marine nid hunters

Lion Knight
25-10-2007, 09:52
I would say that the least used unit in Dark Angels on my side of the world is Librarians. DA Libbie powers are laughable.

I never see Eldar Spiders anymore. Look good on paper but no one uses them, here.

Scout bikers I think are on the out altogether. No one uses them and I think the GeeDub sales are now forcing them out.

No one uses sky rays out here. Most everyone are into ion or rail cannons on thier tanks...

And I see Stella is causing as much waves on this forum as the other I've spent most of my time at... :rolleyes:

Crimson Reaver
25-10-2007, 11:16
In defence of the Repentia, I don't use them all that often, but I have had a reasonable amount of success with them, they only failed to claim their points back once out of the 5 or so times I've used them. They've managed to kill half a mob of Orks and some Killa Kans in one game, a squad or Terminators another week, a Necron Lord, bodyguard and Destroyers (an entire squad of them) and they also ripped apart a Blood Angel bike squadron. Yes they're hideously expensive and really easy to kill, but when used infrequently and if you can get the drop on your opponent they can cause havoc!

I'm not sure whether I like underdog units or not but I do also use Multimelta Retributors, I've found that they make an amazing area denial unit. Nothing wants to get within 24" of those ladies, and quite often this gives me control of the centre of the table. It's a great way of threatening Take & Hold objectives and the like. Give them a decent firing lane and keep another faster unit nearby in case you get assaulted and you're good to go.

My pick for least used/worst unit probably goes to Scout Bikes (never seen them used and I don't think I ever will), Penitent Engines (I used it, it sucked and never killed anything, I'm NOT wasting my points on taking it again!) and Pariahs (the guys I know who play Necrons just can't justify taking them on any ground we can think of).

Vespid don't get any love either, as our Tau players play pure Tau armies (no allied races) and tend to rely on shooting people with huge guns (my poor Farseer, he never knew what hit him!)

Grazzy
25-10-2007, 11:20
5 worst units are...

Hellions
Pariahs
Repentia
Sanctioned Psycers
Vespid

Lord Silvarius
25-10-2007, 11:52
kroot shapers cos they don't do anything wat use is a 6+ armour save 4 kroot any way and ethreals they just suck so much 4 there points

catbarf
25-10-2007, 11:52
Hardened Vets in IG armies. They are terrific, but because they eat a lot of points and die just as quickly as regular IG squads, they are rarely used. That said, I try to use mine once in a while because they are one of the few heavily customized looking squads in my army and when they do get close enough to do their job they do it extremely well!

Odd, I thought Vets were used quite a bit- with Carapace they're everything a Storm Trooper is and more.

Besides, a 6-man squad with 3 Plasma Guns and a Heavy Bolter is just mean.

Bunnahabhain
25-10-2007, 13:14
Necron lords without orbs exist. I've seen one quite often.
1 lord with res orb, another one with destroyer body and no orb....

Guard veterans are a common unit. 3 accurate melta or plasma guns that can infiltaite, and is gurd infantry, so covered by drop troops? what's not to like?

Stella Cadente
25-10-2007, 13:59
And I see Stella is causing as much waves on this forum as the other I've spent most of my time at... :rolleyes:
well you know me, I like pointing out what happens in MY area and what I think is the least used unit and getting my head bitten off for it because everyone thinks I'm wrong and obviously have no eyes:rolleyes:

Curufew
25-10-2007, 14:06
Tau: Ethereals, Kroot shapers, hounds, the kroot gorilla , Piranha, Gun Drones squadron, markerlight drones, patherfinders, skyrays, space pope

Yorrik's_Uncle
25-10-2007, 14:13
Necron lords without orbs exist. I've seen one quite often.
1 lord with res orb, another one with destroyer body and no orb....
Ah, but there's the rub...there is still at least one res orb on the table. I'll bet you've never seen a Necron army without at least one! It's kind of an essential piece of equipment for the 'cron, but I'd still like to see a gutsy 'cron commander go to battle without one.

Guard veterans are a common unit. 3 accurate melta or plasma guns that can infiltaite, and is gurd infantry, so covered by drop troops? what's not to like?

I agree; veterans are a pretty common sight in my own army too. A fairly versatile unit...although it can be easy to tool them up beyond what they're really worth. At the end of the day, they're still just as squishy as other guardsmen.

Emperor's Avenger
25-10-2007, 16:20
Scout Bikers. Their uses are extremely limited, being confined to... well, er, erm...

Precisely.

Captain Micha
25-10-2007, 16:40

You my friend, have just been sigged

Cry of the Wind
25-10-2007, 19:31
In all my gaming I've seen a lot of units on the table, even some that were there despite their ineffectiveness. That said there are a few units I have never seen at all being used.

Kroot Ox is the first that comes to mind (I've seen more Kroot Cavalry than Koort Oxen). Also haven't seen a Sky Ray ever been built.

Dark Eldar are rarely encountered but even then I have never seen Scourges used ever.

I have never seen a Culexus assassin out of a blister before.

Space Marine Scout Bikers have never left the shelf let alone hit the table anywhere near me. Also haven't seen a Techmarine or Space Marine Veterans used and I think I'm the only person in my area to ever build a Land Speeder Typhoon.

Never seen a Tech-Priest/Enginseer or Ratlings being used in a Guard army.

Every single other unit in 40k I have either played with/against or have seen a game involving one.

Captain Micha
25-10-2007, 19:56
what about things that count as krootoxen?

have you ever seen anyone use their rules before?

ash_wednesday
25-10-2007, 20:32
I'll have to say the Sainctioned Psyker. Stats wise, he's weaker then a guardsman (which says alot!). His powers aren't really useful. With his low stats, any wargear isn't worth the points. Even the force weapon, it's really isn't worth it. With a standrad WS:2 he'll have a hard time hitting anything and with a S:3, he'll have a hard time wounding anything. Even if I give him the Honorifica Imperials to boost him up, it would cost too much points on 1 model (at least if I put that amount of points into a officer, I'll get better use out of him). And again, WS:2 BS:2 S:3 doesn't really justicife 70+ points.

Shadowphrakt
25-10-2007, 20:50
i don't think sanctioned physkers are used the least, i think it's ratlings. I have never known anyone to use them

calicojack
25-10-2007, 20:59
Least seen? Fabius Bile Enhanced Chaos Space Marines. Would never field? Well ... I do intend to field some. Well, I would never field Space Marine Scouts ... since I play Chaos and Kroot.... Does that count?

ash_wednesday
25-10-2007, 21:04
i don't think sanctioned physkers are used the least, i think it's ratlings. I have never known anyone to use them

I have used ratlings a few times, more then my psyker. Heck, the ratlings are more useful then a psyker.

Cry of the Wind
25-10-2007, 21:28
what about things that count as krootoxen?

have you ever seen anyone use their rules before?

Can't say I have. I think I may have seen a model in a display case though (or I could just be remembering a picture of one from online somewhere :p).

toxic_wisdom
25-10-2007, 23:57

Same family - but Scourges are worse then Hellions.

toxic_wisdom
26-10-2007, 00:16
"...Flayed ones (dunno why)..."

What? Second best unit behind Scarabs for anti-tank close combat orders - FOs with DF port through a Lith: hi, here comes 30 attacks on the charge against your ( insert precious vehicle here ) and they'll be glancing on 6s.

"...flayed ones probaly because for a the same point cost as a warrior they have no shooting ability and one more attack, which with an I 2 isn't great..."

@ shadowseer crofty - FOs Initiative is on par with MEQs...

"...Anything from the Dark Eldar codex (because)..."

Okay, I just had Pepsi blow out my nose when I read this. You must be a comedian because this is just too funny. A tooled Archite alone will easily rank in the top three ICs in the game... Warriors point-4-point and #-4-# are one of the best Infantry units in the game... Ravagers although glass cannons make the most hardened MEQs run and hide in cover... Wyches, well enough said about them... Drazhar one of the best Special Characters in the game - single assault phase = eight possible dead marines, and that's before the normal Incubi even attack...

The entire codex is filled with exceptional unit selections - if we ignore Hellions and Scourges.

Stella Cadente
26-10-2007, 00:31
What? Second best unit behind Scarabs for anti-tank close combat orders - FOs with DF port through a Lith: hi, here comes 30 attacks on the charge against your ( insert precious vehicle here ) and they'll be glancing on 6s.
Like I keep saying, I have NEVER seen them, nobody around HERE uses them

A tooled Archite alone will easily rank in the top three ICs in the game...

that must be the guy I killed with a krak missile before ever reaching combat:D

Warriors point-4-point and #-4-# are one of the best Infantry units in the game... Ravagers although glass cannons make the most hardened MEQs run and hide in cover...

even the people I do see with Dark Eldar...correction DID see with Dark Eldar used the minimum number of warriors, and Ravagers...well they never used one

Wyches, well enough said about them...

same things goes for these as I said about the Ravager

Drazhar one of the best Special Characters in the game - single assault phase = eight possible dead marines, and that's before the normal Incubi even attack...

only fought him once.........he died at the hands of a guard Lieutenent...who didn't even have a power weapon

Repzik
26-10-2007, 00:33
easy one for tau, drone squads, there over priced, and they hit of 5's, and there supposed to be AI?:wtf:

Khobai
26-10-2007, 00:46
pariahs

not many players play necrons to begin with and no one who plays necrons ever uses pariahs.

toxic_wisdom
26-10-2007, 00:48
"...that must be the guy I killed with a krak missile before ever reaching combat..."

Somehow you managed to circumvent the IC status of closest unit AND dropped the Shadowfield. Hhmmm... impressive. :rolleyes:

"...only fought him once.........he died at the hands of a guard Lieutenent...who didn't even have a power weapon..."

Ok... wanna call BS on this one. But I'll let you try to explain how first...

Back On Topic: any chance the orignal poster can alter this to a poll ?

Stella Cadente
26-10-2007, 01:00
Somehow you managed to circumvent the IC status of closest unit AND dropped the Shadowfield. Hhmmm... impressive. :rolleyes:
actually it was pretty easy, he was with a squad of umm....those guys on skateboards, hoverboard things, whatever, he came at me with them, I shot down his unit with a hail of bolter fire, he ended up being the nearest target, I shot him with krak, wounded him, and he rolled a 1, simple

Ok... wanna call BS on this one. But I'll let you try to explain how first...
2 rounds of combat, he killed nothing, I killed him, you do realize that there are such things as BAD DICE ROLLS, i knw i know its hard to believe, but really it does happen:rolleyes:

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-10-2007, 02:17
2 rounds of combat, he killed nothing, I killed him, you do realize that there are such things as BAD DICE ROLLS, i knw i know its hard to believe, but really it does happen:rolleyes:

Then this probably explains it, but doesn't nullify the value of that special character. It's sort of like shooting down a Falcon. You sure as hell don't expect it, but when those double 6s roll, it's like rapture. Or struck by lightning. Or any other rare occurence. It goes against the norm. :p

toxic_wisdom
26-10-2007, 02:24
"...2 rounds of combat, he killed nothing, I killed him, you do realize that there are such things as BAD DICE ROLLS, i knw i know its hard to believe, but really it does happen:rolleyes:..."

Did he have a Retinue with him or was he a single IC ?

As for units I hardly ever ( never ) see:

Chaos Marines - possessed
Daemonhunters - ( na ) seen them all
Dark Eldar - ( na ) seen them all
Eldar - ( na ) seen them all
Imperial Guard - anything other than troops and tanks
Necrons - ( na ) seen them all
Orks - don't recall kommandos or stikk bommerz
Space Marines - ( na ) seen them all
Tau Empire - Vespids
Tyranids - Biovore
Witch Hunters - Sisters Repentia and Penitent Engine

Gensuke626
26-10-2007, 02:25
least used unit? hmm...you know...I think I've seen everything except Demon hosts and Stikkbommaz. and about half of FW, but FW doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

Stella Cadente
26-10-2007, 02:30
Did he have a Retinue with him or was he a single IC ?
I think he was on his own, at least by the time he reached my lines he was, I can't quite remember the exact details, all I remember is allot of 1's on his part, and allot of 6's on mine

Imperial Guard - anything other than troops and tanks

you mean to say, Imperial guard have OTHER choices??:p, nah can't be, 127 guardsmen and 3 tanks is all I need

toxic_wisdom
26-10-2007, 02:45
I think he was on his own, at least by the time he reached my lines he was, I can't quite remember the exact details, all I remember is allot of 1's on his part, and allot of 6's on mine

you mean to say, Imperial guard have OTHER choices??:p, nah can't be, 127 guardsmen and 3 tanks is all I need

Sorry for the slight off topic - but the likelihood of Drazhar on his own is um... well... very very unlikely. And even more unlikely is the chances of him rolling 6 1s in two rounds of close combat. BTW Drazhar is a squad upgrade for Incubi, much like a hidden powerfist so you'll understand how this miraculous kill of yours is um... well... thanx for the fish story though.

Ooops - haven't seen anyone else use the Death Jester yet for Eldar Harlies

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-10-2007, 02:56
You know, I'm willing to believe it's a true fish story, just a freak incident. Like he said, bad dice/good dice rolls do happen. It's just improbable. Your consistent confusion of improbablility and impossibility... disturbs me. :p

toxic_wisdom
26-10-2007, 03:00
You know, I'm willing to believe it's a true fish story, just a freak incident. Like he said, bad dice/good dice rolls do happen. It's just improbable. Your consistent confusion of improbablility and impossibility... disturbs me. :p

Freak incident is possible ;)

Repzik
26-10-2007, 03:19
Freak incident is possible ;)

ya things like that do happen, like my bro killed a flying tyriant with a LAS GUN SHOT! how lucky is that haha, and he rolled a 1 for its save :p

Supremearchmarshal
26-10-2007, 11:03
The entire codex is filled with exceptional unit selections - if we ignore Hellions and Scourges.

Agree there, though I think Warp Beasts are rather crummy too (they're good in assaults and essentially get a free agoniser, but they are far too fragile), Mandrakes are useless except to hide in terrain and contest table quarters, the Reaver Jetbikes are not really worth it since they are too expensive in points, and most special characters suck (though this was standard for 3rd ed codexes). The rest of the army is badass, though.

Interestingly I too have won almost every game against DE, but that's because either my opponent using them incorrectly or having almost unbelievable luck with my dice rolls - like an Apothecary killing an Archon, a Rhino downing a Talos, making 10 Iron Halo saves during one battle, having a Rhino survive being shot at by 2 blasters, a disintegarator and 5 dark lances and killing 4 Incubi with 5 bolter shots (though the best one was when a friend's 10 gretchin killed 6 warriors in one turn of shooting, making them a non-scoring unit and turning a defeat into a draw!).

Penmarch'
26-10-2007, 13:01
Chaos spawn players call them overpriced and useless
Chaos Possesed- hugely overpriced and even more useless too bad I quite like the models

Since the last codex; Chaos Dreadnought

Wolflord Havoc
26-10-2007, 13:05
Imperial Guard mortars are a good candidate for clear reasons - there are simply much better HWs to field than that thing

What is it with people and Mortars?

They are great - even my 1000 point guard list takes a squad.

I think the problem is people look at the stats and go 'bleh crap stats etc' forgetting that you can shoot at virtually anything on the board - yes even that annoying stealth team moving up the flank - and setting them up is not the problem that I sometimes have with my Lascannon and autocannon teams i.e. "Oh bugger it - 2nd platoon have nicked all the decent cover again"

My regular opponents always say the same thing now when I put them down on the table.

"Bloody Mortars" (or words to that effect)

And to think I originally took them to be 'fluffy' :angel:

Carlos
26-10-2007, 14:12
I think the problem remains that most people think of effectiveness in most lists and not fun. Take Shadow Weavers. I hardly ever use the things but when I do I take them for a laugh just to see what minor damage I can do vs MEQs. Eldar that dont require LOS and have a 60" range are very useful.

Flayed ones are one of the deadliest assault troops in the game, if used correctly. I played a guy and he took 36 Flayed ones and 30 scarab bases all with disruption fields in a 1500pts game. I laughed at his lack of heavy weapons and by turn 2 most of my army was bogged down fighting bloody scarabs. The flayed ones then charged and eliminated choice targets and I had no way of moving to fight back.

Within my own eldar I dont think there is anything I dont use at some point. Even storm guardians can be useful in some cases. And what sort of idiot thinks Warp Spiders are crap? Best jump infantry in the game, matey.