PDA

View Full Version : Our GW and recent releases...

floyd pinkerton
14-10-2007, 19:34
Hi guys,

Recently our GW got a new manager, and now most events involve either a raffle for buying stuff, or having to pay "to cover costs"

It never used to be like this, has anyone else seen a change around them?

Grimtuff
14-10-2007, 19:38
Hi guys,

Recently our GW got a new manager, and now most events involve either a raffle for buying stuff, or having to pay "to cover costs"

:eyebrows::confused::wtf:

Huh?

Paying to cover what costs? I'm confused.....

Tags
14-10-2007, 20:03
Which is why I love The Phantom, though I'm too surprised about a cover charge, as long as they provide a place to play and what not, as long as it's not too expensive... The store we play Rifts at charges 1$, but you get a chance to win a 25$ prize.

floyd pinkerton
14-10-2007, 21:22
:eyebrows::confused::wtf:

Huh?

Paying to cover what costs? I'm confused.....

Not for normal games and stuff, but, for example, there was a 5 entry to the "build a spawn" competition on chaos release, and the same for a terrain day soon.

It never used to be like this, I wondered if it's a general GW change or just our local GW

DarkSoldier
14-10-2007, 21:29
Hi guys,

The cynic in me wants to say "New manager + new pay-for-play policy = He's fleecing you."

Lostanddamned
14-10-2007, 21:39
That sounds like a total joke to me, I suspect that the costs covered 1st of all don't cover costs (5 for one spawn, is not 1/2 of a 12 spawn box), and in fact is not going into the store at all, but rather into the managers back pocket.

Brighton recently did a raffle based on how many painted points in your army (1 per 1000, one per painted 1000, got me 8 :)) and gave away loads of stuff (mostly old stock, but with some shiny new things in there too)

The promotion of new sets by letting you buy and build them (the build a spawn thing) seems a bit odd, I would have thought a buy and build where it was per box made more sense. (unlike that sentence, which was fishier than a trout sandwich)

Hlokk
14-10-2007, 21:53

I'd consider contacting your area manager about this. all the GWs I frequent never ever charge for things like this.

Im curious about this raffle. If I understand correctly, you shove your name in a hat and you can buy new stuff if its pulled out, is that right? If so, thats a complete **** take. Everything in my local GWs is done on a first come, first served basis, unless you put down a deposit or advance order it.

Consider this, I heard GW York ran an all night apocalypse gaming session on Friday night. My mate Al said that, while it was invitation only, there was no charge for it and it was a great night. many GW's in my area also run frequent painting competitions and so on, with decent prizes, and theres never any charge for those either.

floyd pinkerton
14-10-2007, 22:13
Raffles are for like one ticket for every 10 you spend on the new release or whatever, and you win more new releases.

Not that bad, but it's replacing stuff like quizzes and painting comps, so that skill is replaced with whoever has the biggest wallet/ whoever's father has the biggest wallet.

The "build a spawn" thing was 5 for access to the shop bitz box.

DarkstarSabre
14-10-2007, 22:16
Actually mate, there's a very good reason before this.

As some folks in the NE of England are aware a lot of the regional managers were laid off and there was a structure change within the company. The previous manager had mentioned to me that the store, nay the region's earnings were poor as a whole. The whole 'free raffle/contest' thing, though novel was not helping the store sales at all and wasn't helping the region to keep itself afloat.

Now the new manager is a brilliant, brilliant guy. I knew him when he came into Uni. I knew him before he even joined the company. And to be honest the stores finances have actually improved drastically for this reason.

Unfortunately mate the world revolves around money. It's still about skill, knowledge and talent, but the money is a factor that any store selling things has to seriously consider.

Penmarch'
14-10-2007, 22:24
Chasing the cheapskates and lurkers out mate? That was in the previous management book. The one before the company went bankrupt.

Renagade
14-10-2007, 22:33
If you think it's fishy you should not hesitate to contact the area manager or GW HQ. At the very least it will clear any possible nasty rumours. And if you could post their responce it would be nice.:)

DarkstarSabre
14-10-2007, 22:39
Im curious about this raffle. If I understand correctly, you shove your name in a hat and you can buy new stuff if its pulled out, is that right? If so, thats a complete **** take. Everything in my local GWs is done on a first come, first served basis, unless you put down a deposit or advance order it.

Consider this, I heard GW York ran an all night apocalypse gaming session on Friday night. My mate Al said that, while it was invitation only, there was no charge for it and it was a great night. many GW's in my area also run frequent painting competitions and so on, with decent prizes, and theres never any charge for those either.

With regards to this raffle...

The main prize for it was a Baneblade. That's 60 worth of stock right there.

In total the following prizes were given out - 2 baneblades, 2 copies of Brothers of the Snake, 2 Art of Warhammer books.

Total value of items given out - Approx. 210

The Spawn competition was 5 to cover the cost of a pack of greenstuff (which you got to keep as well) and you also got to keep anything you made/used. The prize was a box of the new spawn.

The Chaos Lord competition on the same day- cost was a Chaos Terminator Lord (which you also got to keep, not like they took it away) and the prize was a Daemon Prince.

Hate to break it to you but there are costs for things like this. The Spawn competition I walked away with approx. 30 worth of bits and a packet of green stuff.

Unfortunately all this can add up to a store's takings. Think about it- recently GW have announced closures of two stores- most likely for financial reasons.

We've both known that our region hasn't been faring too well with the finances for the past year.

Want to see our local store close for the sake of a few raffles?

OBISPUDKENOBI
14-10-2007, 22:49
im not sure why the OP has such a problem, the GW manager isnt asking you to pay at the door or you cant come in the shop is he ? the build a spawn thing you get a new plastic spawn for a fiver thats pretty good in my eyes ? its a great set , it can be used in two systems and you didnt have to shell out 12 for a full box and its completely your choice to do it or not , i doubt they were twisting your arm up your back for the fiver?
as for the spend a tenner get a raffle ticket to win free stuff ???so would you prefer to spend a tenner and not get a ticket to win free stuff ?thats just plain mental or would you prefer to just get a ticket for turning up and using the facilities for free ?

Remember folks a GW shop is still a shop and unless you want to loose the shop prepare to cough up some cash when your inside it or your shop like mine (white rose leeds) will become as the dodo .

Mojaco
14-10-2007, 22:51
Building competition for newly released models, which they make the most money on? They'd be crazy not to charge you. I like the chaos commander one. You buy the model (thus selling more then they would normally), they give prizes. Everybody wins.

Free was too good. I hope painting competitions remain free though, since the models are usually expensive enough. Since most are convertions and all.

DarkstarSabre
14-10-2007, 22:54
From what I know- the painting competition side of things will remain free. They can't tell you what to paint really, can they?

The terms of the Chaos Lord competition were as follows-

Buy a Chaos Terminator Lord.

Put it together with whatever weapon fit you could make from the set- no points limit.

Person who killed the most Guardsmen won and got a daemon prince.

I ended up winning the booby prize - one of the old metal chaos spawn who I have named George. I won that for having the least kills as my luck abandoned me yet again.

Bloodknight
15-10-2007, 00:09
I didn't even know that this could be unusual. In German GWs you always have to buy the stuff - so if it's "build an Empire wizard"-day you have to buy the wizard box to build it in-store. And most of the time there's no prize involved...

boogle
15-10-2007, 00:35
interesting, the points of view on this, i'm glad it was clarified exactly what went on as i was thinking WTF when reading the 1st post.

I'm all for 'pay and possibly win stuff', but sadly as i'm a web store discount and ebay' type of guy, i ain't ever gonna win 'owt

Rhamag
15-10-2007, 00:41
The shops have a rough amount they can "spend" on using up stock without selling it. It's a vague percentage of the profits the shop makes. This budget is for prizes, but also for things like butchering a brand new Leman Russ for a cool terrain feature, building Brass Scorpions and Stompas for Apocalypse and even the models for the intro games. Stores with lower profits can't afford to give away as much as the more profitable ones. Accountancy meets Wargaming. Wargaming often loses unfortunately.

Templar Ben
15-10-2007, 00:42
We don't have raffle tickets for purchases only one per attendee, it would be nice to drop a couple hundred bucks for more entries but I am fine either way.