PDA

View Full Version : Black templars h2h force help!

blacktemplars905
14-10-2007, 20:07
Well im new to WH40k and im very fond of black templars coz i played the in a newcomers eventing once and just 1 termonator assalt sqd whooped 4 sqds of tyranids (i think)

so anyway i wana start a black templars hand 2 hand army but dono wer to start help!

p.s try to make a army list if you are going to help:D

knighthawke70
14-10-2007, 20:10
what do you want put in there and when you get a list together put it up

blacktemplars905
16-10-2007, 16:56
army list? or normal list of troops i want?

coz i can't do army lists duno how.

Baneboss
16-10-2007, 17:10
Those surely werent Genestealers, were they? :)

Buy 2 boxes of Marines, Chaplain. Even better - buy a battleforce (DA one is a very good investment). Its the best way to start any SM army.

Egaeus
16-10-2007, 17:10
Well im new to WH40k and im very fond of black templars coz i played the in a newcomers eventing once and just 1 termonator assalt sqd whooped 4 sqds of tyranids (i think)

so anyway i wana start a black templars hand 2 hand army but dono wer to start help!

p.s try to make a army list if you are going to help:D

Well, the very first thing you should do is purchase a copy of the Black Templars Codex.

Assuming you have done that and are ready to start building an army, the most common way to go about it is that you will need two Troop choices and an HQ (as these meet the minimum requirements for the standard Force Organization Chart...this is explained in the Codex). For Templars this is very simple as they only have one Troop type: the Crusader squad. HQ can be a bit more tricky, but not by much as they only have two HQ options. I would suggest going for the Commander as his special rules really help the army.

Depending on how much you want you jump in, you may or may not need an Emperor's Champion right off.

Personally, I think the Battleforce box sets are a pretty good deal and give you a good start for an army. I would suggest the Space Wolf version if you prefer more of a hand-to-hand army. A Battleforce and a Commander can give you a decent albeit small core for your army to grow around.

knighthawke70
16-10-2007, 17:12
if you buy a battle force box, don't forget to get a couple of upgrade kits.

Brother Loki
16-10-2007, 17:38
OK, you really need to get hold of Codex: Black Templars, as most of what people suggest won't make much sense to you otherwise.

When looking at what to get, with any army, troops are the first thing you should go for. I would look at building a 400 point 'Combat Patrol' force first of all, since this will give you a playable army without too much expense and complication. Once you've played some games with that, look at expanding to around 1,000 points, more suitable for normal games.

For reference, while suggesting models to look at, I'll point you to the BT page on the UK online store. Depending on where you are, you may be able to buy stuff from independent traders significantly cheaper.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301777&orignav=10

In Combat Patrol, you need at least one Crusader Squad (troop choice), and up to one HQ choice (either chaplain or commander - for close combat a chaplain is probably best). Because you specify a preference for close combat, you want to arm your crusaders with bolt pistol and close combat weapons, rather than bolters. Because the standard marine tactical squad comes with bolters, you may want to look at the 'space wolf blood claws' box instead, and just not use the wolfy bits, as that will give you plenty of chainswords and bolt pistols.

You will want at least one Black Templar chapter Upgrade box - this doesn't come with any actual marines, but has lots of bits to make them more 'templary'.

Assault squads, land speeders or bikes are also good options.

In a combat patrol army you probably want a character, around 10-15 marines and something else such as a landspeeder.

For bigger games nou need a minimum of two troop choices and an HQ, and also a special character called The Emperor's Champion. A good basis for an army would be to get the Space Marine Battleforce, The Emperor's Champion, another character, a BT chapter upgrade box or two, and add other units or vehicles as you like.

Sorry this is a bit vague, but without some ideas on what models you like, and your budget, it's difficult to advise you.

You can't go wrong with some marines and a chaplain as a starting point though.

For lots of info about playing Black Templars, check out their subforum on Bolter and Chainsword - there's some really informative sticky threads there.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showforum=7

There's also lots of articles on the GW website:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/blacktemplars/

Here's a few pics of some of my own Templars:
http://www.castellum-obscura.co.uk/gallery.htm

Hope that helps.

Pete

Rodman49
16-10-2007, 22:23
When looking at what to get, with any army, troops are the first thing you should go for. I would look at building a 400 point 'Combat Patrol' force first of all, since this will give you a playable army without too much expense and complication. Once you've played some games with that, look at expanding to around 1,000 points, more suitable for normal games.

For reference, while suggesting models to look at, I'll point you to the BT page on the UK online store. Depending on where you are, you may be able to buy stuff from independent traders significantly cheaper.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301777&orignav=10

In Combat Patrol, you need at least one Crusader Squad (troop choice), and up to one HQ choice (either chaplain or commander - for close combat a chaplain is probably best). Because you specify a preference for close combat, you want to arm your crusaders with bolt pistol and close combat weapons, rather than bolters. Because the standard marine tactical squad comes with bolters, you may want to look at the 'space wolf blood claws' box instead, and just not use the wolfy bits, as that will give you plenty of chainswords and bolt pistols.

I will also vouch for the Space Wolf Box - as he said just do not use the Space Wolf bits.

For Combat Patrol at this year's GT in Baltimore you did not need an HQ. My army consisted of . . .

5 Initiates w/ Powerfist & Plasmagun
1 Neophyte
Rhino

5 Initiates w/ Powerfist & Plasmagun
1 Neophyte

5 Initiates w/ Powerfist & Meltagun (normal squad members had pistol/CCW)
1 Neophyte

It did well and only requires the Space Marine Battleforce Mk II (and you still have extra stuff! 2 scouts and assault squad can be used for further expansion).

Sovereign
17-10-2007, 07:20
FWIW, if you're converting, it's probably cheaper to buy individual Black Templars Crusader sprues than conversion sets. You'll get plenty enough conversion bitz that way.

pookie
17-10-2007, 09:35
Buy 2 boxes of Marines, Chaplain. Even better - buy a battleforce (DA one is a very good investment). Its the best way to start any SM army.

This isnt the best force set to buy, you cant use one of the Sqauds and the Robed Bodies dont really suit a BT Force.

I too agree that a SW Battle force would be much better.

Egaeus
17-10-2007, 14:43
This isnt the best force set to buy, you cant use one of the Sqauds and the Robed Bodies dont really suit a BT Force.

I too agree that a SW Battle force would be much better.

I bought a Dark Angels Battleforce for my BT-based army (although it was already over 3000 points of models)...which Squad can you not use? If you're referring to the Devastator Squad then I just see them as "Heavy Weapon Marines"...

If I ever get around to painting them I planned to use the Robed Marines as Vets/Command Squad Marines. I was actually quite surprised that the majority of the set actually is "Dark Angel" Marines...there were more robed bodies than I expected.

Although I would concur (and suggested in an earlier post) that the standard BF or the Space Wolves BF would be much more useful for a starting army. It really depends on if you want more "shooty" with Assault Marines & Neophytes (Standard) or slightly more melee with Bikes (Space Wolves). Actually, one of each would give you a really solid army core, especiallly considering that BT squads can be larger than standard squads.

pookie
17-10-2007, 15:17
I bought a Dark Angels Battleforce for my BT-based army (although it was already over 3000 points of models)...which Squad can you not use? If you're referring to the Devastator Squad then I just see them as "Heavy Weapon Marines"...

Nope - the scout sniper sqd. the weps you get in the dev box is well worth it - enough weps for the complete force and some spare.

In all honesty i did by a DA Battle force box set - mainly because i wanted 10 DA vets to turn into a Sword Breathern Sqd and the devs which i would have bought sep any way, meant i got everything else for 6.00.

Egaeus
17-10-2007, 17:30
Nope - the scout sniper sqd. the weps you get in the dev box is well worth it - enough weps for the complete force and some spare.

In all honesty i did by a DA Battle force box set - mainly because i wanted 10 DA vets to turn into a Sword Breathern Sqd and the devs which i would have bought sep any way, meant i got everything else for 6.00.

Doh! As I mentioned I haven't gotten around to painting them yet and completely forget the Sniper scouts were in there...maybe with some minor conversion work they could be used as Neophytes with shotguns?

Yeah, the Battle Forces are a pretty decent deal...and when I said Vets I did mean Sword Brethren (although since my army just uses the BT rules I still tend to think of things in standard Marine terms).

blacktemplars905
17-10-2007, 18:57
ok thats all of you for the help, Ive bought a codex and am getting my troops soon.
p.s rod man do you have eny pics of your force you mentioned?

well Im in thinking of making a 8 initiates crusader sqd.
All arned with ccw and bolt pistols apart from 1 guy with a flamer.

comments?

oh ye thay also have a rhino transport

boogle
21-10-2007, 21:49
Go for the Space Marine Megaforce if you have the money to save up, give a very good selection of stuff to use, add the BT codex on top and away you go