PDA

View Full Version : Wheelies?

Luke
05-09-2005, 14:45
ok, so i was showing off my bike to my mate, revving the tits off it and all that. as i pulled away in first, the front end came right up about 2 and 1/2 foot, completely controlled, making this my 4th wheelie without trying or actually understanding how i did it. can anyone please tell me what is happening here? the engine is a mystery to me, its meant to be a 125cc 13.5 brake but unofical reports put the power output at about 34 bhp (yes its race tuned ex-track bike) 2 stroke, does well over 90mph on a good day (when i got my brown trousers on :D)

how do i pull a wheelie on purpous? how do i keep the front end up for a good distance? please, any advice at all would be just great.

edit------

after its little performance, i have decided this bike is far too wicked to sell, so its no longer for sale!:D

tzeentchgiant
05-09-2005, 15:08
I think you just keep the revs high enough, without changing gear, and shift your weight back a bit, or more than a bit.

Or at least that's how my dad described it.

TG

Luke
05-09-2005, 15:19
i know its gotta have something to do with the clutch. cant think what though. i tried slipping it, even dropping it but cant seem to get the balance right. i think i need to pump it. but do i roll the revs off?

tzeentchgiant
05-09-2005, 15:25
My guess would be no, keep the revs high but steady, but having little experience (read: no experience) with this I don't know if I can help at all.

TG

Luke
05-09-2005, 16:52
hmm. if my engine was bigger maybe, i'm told that you can roll the throttle open in first and get the front end up, but my experience always seems to involve a misuse of the clutch.

always a satisfying "wrraaaaaarp!" sound when it does it. :D

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
05-09-2005, 18:04
Ive only done wheelies with a vespa....so i cant help you much, but i think you have to rev it in neutral then put it in first real quick while putting your weight towards the back. Should works.

Luke
05-09-2005, 18:08
hmm, i think it must come from that neutral zone. either coming up or down.

starlight
05-09-2005, 18:09
my experience always seems to involve a misuse of the clutch.

You seem surprised. Wheelie = not normal operation = misuse of drivetrain. :eyebrows:

Luke
05-09-2005, 18:11
You seem surprised. Wheelie = not normal operation = misuse of drivetrain. :eyebrows:

eh? sorry, although i ride like a pro (:D) i do not even know the first thing about its mechanics.

Luke says:
did you catch that wheelie i did
ecureuil says:
yep
Luke says:
how'd it look?
ecureuil says:
pretty sweet
Luke says:
how big was it? i cant tell when im riding em
ecureuil says:
couldn't exactly say, but it was noticeable enough

lmao! i love this! gonna try like hell to hoist a monster tomorow

starlight
05-09-2005, 18:13
<alerts atherstone emergency services for potential civic disaster> :p

Vaya
05-09-2005, 18:35
Well, given the limited knowledge I have about bikes, I always thought gears didn't really matter: it's all about the torque.

What I mean is, there's a point in every gear where you suddenly feel the speed increase. For instance, if my little Suzuki is in second gear, and I hit the gas and rev it up to 3000 (in stead of the normal 2500 where you shift to 3rd), you feel the speed increase of the car much more. Same thing on a bike. And I believe when you pull up your front wheel just then, you'll make a wheelie.

This mostly comes from watching Moto GPi, where most wheelies (besides the ones they do when they win) always occur when the drivers just come out of a turn and rapidly accellerate.

Luke
05-09-2005, 18:42
oh yeah. i mean a wheelie comes from torque produced, overpowering the weight of the machine at the swingarm. high torque and a light front end = liftage. however, its trying to get this torque, from a 2 stroke engine it should be quite easy. my power band lies between 6 and 9 thousand revs, i find its when im up near the redline i get amazing amounts of torque. a similar thing happens in higher gears when i slip the clutch. though i doubt i get get a wheelie in anything higher than 2nd.

my pals, all on big enduros (600-800,s) can get wheelies at about 2000 revs just by dropping the clutch. mind, these are big 4 stroke thumpers. their seat position also helps a great deal (its directly over the back wheel whereas mine is ahead of it)