PDA

View Full Version : Wargames Conventions ? When And Where?

OBISPUDKENOBI
14-10-2007, 23:17
Hi All

I im trying to find out what wargames conventions you go to and how do you find out about them ?

I go to the ones in Leeds which are fine , but it always tends to be the same traders with the same old stuff ,so i have car and willing to travel so if you know of a calendar or or have some dates and info please let me know .

Keravin
14-10-2007, 23:41
Around Leeds way there is Vapnartak in York in February I think and Triples is in March in Sheffield.

grickherder
14-10-2007, 23:46
if you're in the UK, Historicon is pretty cool.

Lord_Dante
15-10-2007, 07:57
Telford Scale Model Show November 11 and 12th I think? I'm travelling from Liverpool with my Dad to go have a look. Last year was great. Wide selection of models including wargaming.

Osbad
15-10-2007, 08:58
Newark Irregulars (who put on the "Partizan" shows twice a year) have a good calendar of shows. There website is here (http://www.partizan.org.uk/) and their calendar is here (http://www.newarkirregulars.org.uk/calendar2007.html).

Wargames Illustrated magazine produce a calendar annually in (I think) their January issue (but may be December, can't remember at the minute).

Other than that it is a case of picking up flyers. I was at the "Old Glory Wargames Championship" at Derby the weekend before last and there was a whole table full of flyers. You should have no lack of opportunities if you are based in the Midlands and have a car!

nurgle_boy
15-10-2007, 11:31
Coming up is the 'Warfare' event in reading, which seems to have a fair few decent traders, and I belevie there is reasonable train access to there. It should be good.

As for finding out about them your best bet is just to as other wargamers, and to maybe just google 'wargame shows', and see what coems up. I often find that even the smaller ones can be good fun, and you can always use them to pick up some shiney new toys on the cheap!

NB.

snurl
15-10-2007, 13:26
In the US, look at
www.HMGS.org
for a convention schedule.

OBISPUDKENOBI
15-10-2007, 13:50
this is great info guys thank you very much , keep them comming .

Osbad
15-10-2007, 13:53
A couple more I have managed to dredge up from my x-files:

The Hammerhead (http://www.hammerhead.org.uk/) show is on Sunday 10th February 2008 at Kelham Hall, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK.

And Wargames Illustrated keep an updated calendar of events here (http://www.wargamesillustrated.net/event.asp)

Chiron
15-10-2007, 15:13
SALUTE is in London, April next year I think.

Good show with a ton of retailers

Jedi152
15-10-2007, 15:16
Wow. Ten replies and no-one has mentioned Games Day yet. :p

Osbad
15-10-2007, 15:48

Well, strictly speaking Games Day isn't a "wargames convention" as such as it only pimps GW product. The OP seemed to indicate from his initial post that he was interested in a wider experience... :)

Which I'm sure you realised :P

k'ron
15-10-2007, 19:53
If you live in the UK theres a convention on the 28th October called Fiasco run by Leeds wargaming club. Its been quite a few years since i've been but it used to be in my opinion a really good event with a wide range of stuff to buy and demonstration games.

From what I remeber though the only GW presence was what people were selling on the bring and buy stall, but not sure if that will even still be there.

OBISPUDKENOBI
15-10-2007, 21:57

LOL I know how refreshing lol ,thank you so much for all the info sofar guys , i will ofcourse be going to fiasco on the 28th , i will be haunting the bring and buy table for bargains !

Keravin
15-10-2007, 22:25
If you live in the UK theres a convention on the 28th October called Fiasco run by Leeds wargaming club. Its been quite a few years since i've been but it used to be in my opinion a really good event with a wide range of stuff to buy and demonstration games.

From what I remeber though the only GW presence was what people were selling on the bring and buy stall, but not sure if that will even still be there.

There's definitely a Bring and Buy happening.

I'm demoing Warmachine and Hordes at Fiasco.

scarletsquig
15-10-2007, 22:41
I've been to loads of different ones...

Salute's a bit too big for my tastes (you will get K.O.'d by B.O. at the bring and buy, assuming you don't get squashed first) but it is good. Great painting competition that the 'eavy metal team are allowed to enter and win... I remember Tammy Haye blitzing several categories a few years back.

SELWG is great, and is filled with people walking around in swimming costumes (it's held in a sports venue that only hires out the main hall) :)

There's one in Tunbridge Wells, held in a school.. it's also got a nice atmosphere to it, and a painting competition/ bring+buy.

I went to one in a mall in Milton Keynes. That was fun, since it got the general public involved and playing games etc. Most had no idea what it was all about and were naturally curious.

N.O.W. in Norwich and the show in Colchester (forget the name) were fantastic until they cancelled them. :(

If you haven't given any of these smaller conventions a visit, I'd definitely recommend it, they're always full of participation games run by wargames clubs, and it's a fun day out!

Since they're smaller, they're also a lot more relaxed than Games Day... and you're more likely to find one near to where you live.

OBISPUDKENOBI
15-10-2007, 23:50
There's definitely a Bring and Buy happening.

I'm demoing Warmachine and Hordes at Fiasco.

ahhh so are you involved with leeds wargames club then ?

swordwind
16-10-2007, 00:12
Everywhere and anywhere! Pick up a copy of Wargames Illustrated. The ads section at the back should be crammed with them.

Stuart-GreatEscapeGames
16-10-2007, 00:15
We're making our first visits to Leeds this year so at least there will be something new there! The wargames shows in the UK are, overall, very good. Here's a link to some of the shows held:

http://www.newarkirregulars.org.uk/calendar2007.html

Great places to get in touch with clubs and to see the wealth of wargaming stuff on the market to feast our eyes (and empty our wallets) on. There's a lot of great wargaming stuff out there and the best place to see it is at shows.

Keravin
16-10-2007, 01:22
ahhh so are you involved with leeds wargames club then ?

Nope. I'm the local Press Ganger. The only 'club' I have any involvement in in Leeds is Travelling Man's Games Night.