PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or are Australian kebabs a lot better than British ones?

Samoth
05-09-2005, 14:59
From Wez's thread, and the previous british food thread, it seems like every single briton has a horrible enmity for kebabs.

Now, from most of the kebab shops here in brisbane, the place looks clean, salad's are well refrigerated as are the sauces, there is no grease/blood/bits too viscous to stick running down the side of the meat... thing. The grease content is no where near comparable even to modest, chunky chips, and I dont feel my arteries clogging or my heart screaming in pain if I so much as look at one sideways.

I'm talking mostly about the franchise ones, and not the street cart ones. What do australians think of kebabs?

tzeentchgiant
05-09-2005, 15:07
Whilst Australian kebabs may seem better at dirst glance, be made of safer, more healthy food suffs, having had both, I must say that British Kebabs simply beat all.

TG

hairyman
05-09-2005, 15:10
UK kebabs have had a raw deal across Warseer recently.

The fabled greasy doner can be bad (or very very good.. depends on how drunk you are), but there has been a revolution in kebaborama across this country recently, that has seen you now more likely to get grilled chunks of juicy chicken smothered in sweet chilli sauce and wrapped in a warm and freshly made naan bread than you are to get a stale pitta bread containing a slice of dubious grey rubber masquerading as the flesh of an annonymous greek animal.

Even the drunkard's staple - the doner - has gone up a notch or two on the health and hygeine pole recently, although my local chippy does still offer doner meat, chips and ketchup for 99p with a free cardiac arrest on the side. Standards are rising, though, and this can only be good, as it will usher in a new golden age of UK kebabs. Restaurants are even opening in my city based wholly around the kebab; I've even managed to sneak the mrs out for a romantic meal at an "authentic Turkish restaurant" only to mug her with a menu offerning naught but kebabs, in all their diverse splendour.

Viva la kebab.

Taron
05-09-2005, 15:47
I've been eating Kebab for some time on a quite regular basis, and so far, I haven't noticed any negative impact on my health. ;)

On the contrary, I've enjoyed almost every kebab I've eaten (apart from some that contained mayonnaise instead of the usual sauce :eek: ).

Even the drunkard's staple - the doner - [...]

Is "doner" in the UK the term for a special kind of kebab?I always thought every kind of kebab (be it made of chicken, lamb, rat or every other kind of biomass) is called "Döner kebab".

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 15:51
Doner in the UK is lamb, I believe.

He says, having regularly eaten them yet not been sure what's in them :(

Samoth
05-09-2005, 15:51
Aah, I see. You guys have really given the kebab a rough time, but instead it's actually just the popular bandwagon that everyone likes to jump on?

Love those. :p

Rabid Bunny 666
05-09-2005, 15:53
you get lamb and chiken doners, they're the ones on the sticks being cooked :D

i love lamb doners, and i am sober whilst eating them :D

brittish kebabs are Teh win!

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 15:54
I've tried to eat one sober.

No.

hairyman
05-09-2005, 15:55
Aah, I see. You guys have really given the kebab a rough time, but instead it's actually just the popular bandwagon that everyone likes to jump on?

My post in Wez's thread:

Kebabs are the ambrosia of twenty-first century England. They are the finest food known to man, ranging from the humble greasy donner to the splendid flame grilled special at your local turkish restaurant. Food of the gods.

Samoth
05-09-2005, 16:01
Consider *everyone* changed to *most folks*.

And honestly, with the nature of the other posts, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Taron
05-09-2005, 16:03
Kebabs are the ambrosia of twenty-first century England. They are the finest food known to man, ranging from the humble greasy donner to the splendid flame grilled special at your local turkish restaurant. Food of the gods.

*applauds*

And to contribute something to the cause of us kebab lovers:

Some kebab connoisseurs will also point out that it contains every food group for a healthy meal and lifestyle. It has bread (cereals group), cabbage and lettuce (vegetables group), tomatoes (fruit group), creamy herb sauce (dairy group), oil (fat group) not to mention the döner meat (meat group), although one might note some inbalance in the relative ratios (notably, the fat, meat and vegetable groups.)

;)

Ravening Wh0re
05-09-2005, 17:19
Doner in the UK is lamb, I believe.

Not quite. Cos you can have chicken doners.

But generally any kebab is lamb unless you ask for chicken.

I find Aussie Kebabs.....weak....and tiny. Must be the Greek influence instead of Turkish

hairyman
05-09-2005, 17:29
And honestly, with the nature of the other posts, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Not with the amount of kebabs I eat a week....;)

Was on my honeymoon in Rome, having a romantic stroll past all sorts of old religious looking things, when I happened to wander down a side street and, lo, did I chance upon the world's most up market kebab shop. It was like a swanky Italian cafe bar, only it was selling doner kebabs. My mrs was very impressed that I'd obtained kebab even in the heart of poshest Rome.

Wraith
05-09-2005, 17:33
The so called 'Bristish Kebab' is in fact a greek import is it not? Can it really be called British?

Kohhna
05-09-2005, 17:34
I was at a kebab shop in the Findsbury park area the last time I was in london and do you know what I got? Quail.

Yeah, Quail. And good it was too. Quail, with some boiled rice and salad, £6. Wasn't even dead up-marlet or anything.

Ravening Wh0re
05-09-2005, 18:47
Yeah, Quail. And good it was too. Quail, with some boiled rice and salad, £6. Wasn't even dead up-marlet or anything.

Six quid? For some "chicken" and rice?

Wez
05-09-2005, 19:33
The Kebabs in other countries seem to be better. Certainly the ones in Germany and France I've tried were better. That helps to explain why, in Germany Kebabs are more popular than burgers or sausages! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_kebab

I'm not sure why Kebabs in the UK are so much worse. I'm sure there are some nice ones, but they've still got a huge stigma attached to them.

-Wez

Alco Engineer
06-09-2005, 02:32
I must admit I love the "Australian" Doner Kebab. I can recall 2 instances however where they didn't agree with me. the first was 1 of only 2 ever food poisoning incident I have had (the other being a hungry Jacks burger) where I was incrediblt=y sick after eating a kebab at a local gaming night.

The other was when I was out on the pi$$ one night and instead of the whole lot I ordered a "tub of meat" i.e. kebab meat (lamb) in a fast food container with a fork. I woke up feeling like a rat had slept in my mouth the next morning and I don't think it had too much to do with the alcohol I'd been drinking.

Overall the kebab rock (NB: here in SA they are refered to as Yiros...WTF?? just another SA idiocincracy)

violenceha
06-09-2005, 07:05
you're all bastards, now i feel like a bloody kebab

New Cult King
06-09-2005, 07:17
Well Violenceha, you don't look like one! *rimshot*

I made the mistake of saying "ANYTHING!" in my drunken stupor when asked what sauce I wanted on my first and only kebab. The bugger behind the counter pulled out the super XXXXX mega hot atomic chilli sauce from hell and soaked my kebab in it.

I was so shattered I didn't even realise til I was halfway through. I had a horrible date with the toilet the next morning.

Wiseman
06-09-2005, 07:48
i cant say what a kebab in england tastes like but in australia they are brilliant:)

violenceha
06-09-2005, 08:41
I had a horrible date with the toilet the next morning.
Did it put out? after all you did kinda buy it breakfast

Delicious Soy
06-09-2005, 08:49
I think NCK was doing the putting out for both of them.

New Cult King
06-09-2005, 08:57
I screamed and cried like a little baby.

Jaq Draco
06-09-2005, 11:35
i cant say what a kebab in england tastes like but in australia they are brilliant:)
especially the one around the corner dude, man thye make good kebabs there, definately good when sober or drunk

and definately good for hangovers

Wiseman
06-09-2005, 13:38
are you talking about the one next to the pool? Charcoal Chicken? or the one in the food court below your work?

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 19:46
Six quid? For some "chicken" and rice?
Definately not chicken. Chicken tastes like Human, the quail was noticeably more Gamey.

New Cult King
06-09-2005, 22:03
Nah, pork tastes like human. Chicken tastes like alien.

He Who Laughs
06-09-2005, 23:52
... the first was 1 of only 2 ever food poisoning incident I have had (the other being a hungry Jacks burger) where I was incrediblt=y sick after eating a kebab at a local gaming night.

Only two incidents you say? I seem to recall a certain camping/surfing trip to Point Plomer, where after drinking too much of the amber fluid of the gods (aka beer) you decided to cook up a rather off looking T-Bone steak.

In your state, you didn't realise that it wasn't quite cooked when you started eating it - and remarkedly you also forgot to chew your steak properly. How can we tell that you forgot to chew? Well when you decided to do a magic trick and make the T-bone steak magically re-appear on your lap sometime after - Lo! And Behold! - it was still in good sized chunks.
So, Warseerers, guess what we call Alco Engineer? Yep, you guessed it - T-Bone. And it's stuck ever since. When he gets married, I'm going to slip the Priest a pineapple (AUS$50 note): "I hereby pronunce you, T-Bone and wife!"

Alco Engineer
07-09-2005, 00:35
Hey Russ I was only refering to non-alcohol induced food poisoning incidents. Otherwise I could probably refer to 2minute noodles (whole again), Pizza and all manor of foods.

Jaq Draco
07-09-2005, 02:31
are you talking about the one next to the pool? Charcoal Chicken? or the one in the food court below your work?

Charcoal Chicken of course Uncle Tony's Kebab's suck

mm i want a beef kebab now with hot garlic sauce

Wiseman
07-09-2005, 03:46
yeh i thought thats where ya ment, i want one as well now. But then Charcoal chicken has some of the best food on the coast ive found

He Who Laughs
07-09-2005, 04:45
Hey Russ I was only refering to non-alcohol induced food poisoning incidents. Otherwise I could probably refer to 2minute noodles (whole again), Pizza and all manor of foods.

Apologies Gronk - (hey look, another nickname!), just thought that the story had to be told :D Yeah, you really a spew-machine aren't you? I could start up a whole new thread dedicated to the interesting places you've barfed in and the plethora of foods you've regurgitated... So tempted... :angel:

Jaq Draco
07-09-2005, 13:37
i reckon start the thread mate

Samoth
07-09-2005, 15:31
Start it with his exploits, and as is right, everyone will add theirs, and soon we will have a good chance to win the Guiness Records "weirdest place to barf" record. We're practically a shoo-in.