PDA

View Full Version : bfsp box vs just the rulehbook?

Tok
15-10-2007, 14:31
I'm not sure if to buy the box, the bigger box or just the rulebook.
Are the models you get i bfsp ugly beyond usefullness? How much more then the bfsp book, does the big book contain?

GreatRedGobbo
15-10-2007, 14:34
personally I think it depends on if you want one of two things.

1. to play either goblins or dwarf armies
2. You want all the additional fluff and pictures instead of simply the rules

The models really are not that bad on a whole. I like the little goblins and if you want a goblin army they are wonderful!

The big book just has much more background, pictures, and discriptions then the bfsp. Also if you are starting with someone the bfsp is wonderful since the cost for that many models makes it very agreeable :)

zak
15-10-2007, 14:43
I'd go for the box game on every occasion. The models are nice and even if you don't want them you can sell them on e-bay. The rules are just as good as the large book and the fluff is fine, but found in each book anyway. For 40 it is a bargain.

W0lf
15-10-2007, 17:32
i didnt want the models but brought the bfsp anyway.

I brought it because i find the little book more convineant then the big one. I can take it round with me and its easier to navigate. I gave the models to my fellow gamers who wanted them :D

grickherder
15-10-2007, 18:37
I bought the BFSP rule book off of eBay for $10 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Much better than the big hard cover rulebook and since I don't want Goblins or Dwarves, it's better than getting the skull pass set as well.

Zink
15-10-2007, 19:14
I actually quite like the goblins. We bought the box because my wife wanted the dwarves. I was a bit disappointed in their quality but at about $0.60 canadian/ figure whose going to complain? It really bulked up both armies. I'm not so interested in the rules or fluff anymore but it was nice to have the little book to read and see the changes from 6th to 7th without paying and arm and leg.

Khorghan
15-10-2007, 23:56
ive collected for many years now and didnt need any new models or rulers or whatever else, i know the little book is nicer to carry around to games, but the big book has all the fluff and extra stuff which i really wanted.

i think the dwarves in it a very ugly also, most of the goblins are nice though

sigur
16-10-2007, 00:15
I agree with most people who posted here; if you want Goblins or Dwarfs, get BfSP. It's really helpful for Goblin players who need many miniatures; it's not that much of a gain for Dwarf players because the Dwarves in the box don't seem to go that well with the current miniatures. The miniatures in the box are nice enough eventhough they aren't as detailed as usual but it's been like that in every starter box.

Personally, I got the rulebook because it's nice to have basic background, the cool artwork and hardcover books are always nicer to have than small, soft-cover thingies. I wouldn't overrate the possibility of selling the BfSP miniatures on ebay; it's still quite swamped with those.

Flypaper
16-10-2007, 03:14
I bought the BfSP rule book off of eBay for $10 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Much better than the big hard cover rulebook and since I don't want Goblins or Dwarves, it's better than getting the skull pass set as well.
I did the same thing. The extra bulk of the BRB is a positive disadvantage for something you want handy for rules arguments. Plus I was seriously disinclined to pay extortionate prices for the hardcover!

Sleazy
16-10-2007, 14:12
the skull pass minis arent as bad as they are made out, its only the dwarf warriors and the slayer i dont like, even then they are useable

Gratan
25-10-2007, 20:47
The BfSP rulebooks contain the complete rules that the big book does? There isnt anything left out between the two? I was thinking of getting this as well since I dont have a copy of 7th ed yet.

Halelel
25-10-2007, 21:11
I'm like many others here and have found that the goblins in the BfSP set are pretty nice, the troll is the only model of the set that I didn't care for *mainly since more than one of him looks awkward*

The dwarfs on the other hand are just bad, the warriors look nothing like the warriors in the box set, the thunderers are decent, the thane is decent, the miners are good, the cannon is bad compared to the box cannon/organ gun box, and the slayer is one of the worst models ever.

The models just look completely different from other dwarf models for the most part and a combination of them just makes the army look weird. Now if you can find someone to take the dwarfs for their goblins, you'll have a pretty good goblin horde that looks pretty decent (let's face it, it's hard to screw up night goblins, black robes, green paint and that's most of the model, lol).

Galatan
25-10-2007, 21:15
If you're totally new to the game...then bfsp is great, a real bargain actually. If you have been playing for a long time then you need to consider if you need the models and if you would prefer a smaller booklet over a big rulebook (the booklet is great BTW). Anyway...I've got both, The goblins are pretty cool and the booklet is great for tournaments. I've got the big book so I can easily look through the rules when I'm at home, but I don't take it anywhere with me.

oop
25-10-2007, 21:25
Get the box, by all means
The small rulebook contains all the rules, just doesnt cover the (interesting!) background

Even if you (like me) dont collect OnG or Dwarfs, you can find an excuse to use them. A cannon for your rare choice as a DoW one, hundreds of minis to convert or sacrifice in your bases and make them unique.
Or...start playing Mordheim.