PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Players I need advice

elmolovesthekroot
15-10-2007, 14:46
I want to start a Wood Elf Army (decided Chaos not my thing). What is the best packager for about $150 dollars (or about 75 pounds for you British types)? I think I need to get some Glave Guard and the Horsemen but not sure. Please any advice would be useful.

Elmo

The Old Scholar
15-10-2007, 18:21
Get the $90 box that includes the Glade Guard, Glade Riders and Dryads.
Purchase a Lord--I like the one with the Great Weapon but he's hard to find.
Get a couple of Spellsingers.
Then the book, of course.
I think this puts you right at $150 before tax.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

D-Archangel
15-10-2007, 18:21
the WE battalion box sounds like a good idea for you. for 50 pounds you get 24 archers, 8 glade riders and 12 dryads. which leaves you 25 pounds (which ain't a lot) to buy either a lord/hero or a couple of wardancers (IMO a must for every WE army)

darkprincewilson
15-10-2007, 19:22
Absolutely the Battalion.

You might be able to get a Treeman and one spellsinger.

MuNsTeNbRaU
16-10-2007, 21:41
Have you tryed Ebay yet? There some good army deal on there. I'm a new wood elf player as well and just don't see the appeal of war dancers?

RavenBloodwind
17-10-2007, 03:55
As everyone has mentioned, the battalion box is a great starter and nets you enough models to make 2 units of glade guard, a sizable (actually oversized) unit of dryads, a unit of glade riders and enough spare parts to make a mounted character or 2 and one or 2 on foot.

Tack on $22 for the army book and you're at $112 so far.

This basically leaves you only enough for one other box or a few blisters of characters.

I'd look long and hard at a list you'll enjoy playing at ~1500 points and buy to make that list work.

As mentioned eBay and some other direct vendors of bits (who have adverts on this site) can help you fill in some additional models at a bargain.

You can easily get ~550 points out of the battalion box without making stupidly oversized units. If you used every model in the box as a trooper you're at about 650 plus or minus for command.

As to what you add, I'd go with more core troops personally but every selection you have available has its utility.

Personally I'd not go with warhawks early on as they require a good deal of practice to use well. Eternal guard will be to expensive in $ terms to field a usably large animal. Wild riders are powerful but again expensive models. Tree kin are rock-solid but at $17 apiece you're looking at $51 for a minimum sized unit. Waywatchers can be gotten inexpensively in blisters (relatively speaking) and may suit you. Treemen are almost cliche but many people think they cannot win without one. I encourage you not to become one of those people.

Wardancers are, frankly, the best thing going in my experience for wood elf armies. I do not use eternal guard or wild riders because I don't like their look or flavor but they are arguably very effective as well.

A box of wardancers and a command blister will net you enough models to field 2 6-man units which you will come to love.

JMMelo
17-10-2007, 13:50
Make sure you add, in any account, another box of dryads... 24 dryads gives you three unist of 8, which is perfect for games up to 2000pts (I just yesterday used 2x 10 glade Guard and 3x 8 Dryads). Add 10 wardancers, a treeman and a few wild riders and you are set... A couple spellweavers would be nice too

Selsaral
17-10-2007, 15:12
I've regularly seen that battallion box for between 60-70$ on ebay.

Galatan
17-10-2007, 15:58
Batalion box...great starter for wood elves. If you mail order a sprue of 4 dryads (1 sprue) and 4 glade riders then you can split the unit in the batalion into 2 unit of 8 dryads and 6 glade riders. While mail ordering you might as well try and get a hero/lord, a spell singer or 2 and a rare choice of your liking....that would come round the 150 dollars. Although I'm not sure how much everything costs in dollars (I'm European).

Cheers and good luck,
Galatan

sing Sang a song
18-10-2007, 02:14
i started WE like 2weeks ago so i hope my advice would help u out a little~ first Battalion and army book is must so tat puts u $112 and i got one spellsinger which is $10 tat leave u about $28 if you want to get something with $28 u should get a noble (i rather save it for core or special) tat should give u about min 700-800 pts

Highborn
18-10-2007, 08:05
My best tip is don't buy full price ;)

Don't know where those stateside can get discounts, but 10-20% isn't hard to find. Find somewhere that does 20% off if you can, then buy two battalions for $144.

4 x 10 glade guard
1x 8 glade guard scouts
3 x 8 dryads
2 x 5 glade riders w/muso
1 x 6 glade riders w/muso

Far from an optimised list, but it puts you at 1,273 points with a respectable amount of shooting and fast cavalry. I converted two of my glade rider units into wild riders using the hand weapons from the sprues and a fair whack of greenstuff. The glade guards might be overkill - 3 units is solid, the 4th you can leave for games over 2,000 points.

liggu
18-10-2007, 08:51
i just started wood elves, i had $150NZD so about 100USd i think...

ibought a box of dyrads, a box of glade guard and the book, the shop didnt have any other WE things :(

sing Sang a song
19-10-2007, 03:19
My best tip is don't buy full price ;)

Don't know where those stateside can get discounts, but 10-20% isn't hard to find. Find somewhere that does 20% off if you can, then buy two battalions for $144.

tat the price i got!~~ and im getting my second one tomorrow!!