PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Princes - there sizes etc

pookie
15-10-2007, 16:36
Hi fellow Warseer members.

Whats peoples thoughts on how big a DP should be? (model size) now i cant get to my BGB book at mo, so im unsure of the rules regarding MC and how big they are deemed to be.

The Chaos Dex says that they are bigger than a CSM, but how much bigger?

could a converted terminator/Oblitorator be big enough? or should they be bigger than this? what are peoples accepted sizes for one?

( i recently posted on someones thread that Size didnt matter, but now im thinking it does - oh no sniggering!)

any thoughts?

thecadian
15-10-2007, 16:41
I guess it dosn't matter that much as long as you can tell its a DP and not just a tooled up terminator.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-10-2007, 16:45
Base size is critical, and remind your opponent that for the purposes of targetting, regardless of model size, it's size 2 model.

gitburna
15-10-2007, 16:50
dont you mean size 3, MadDokGrotsnik ? I thought all monstrous creatures counted as size 3....

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-10-2007, 16:55
I guess! Been ages since I went through the rulebook.

As long as the rules are kept to, the actual appearance of the model shouldn't matter a great deal. I have a Mutant Spawn from McFarlane Toys I intend to use a Greater Daemon. He's enormous, so I'll have to remind people he's size 3.

In Apocalypse however, I can use it as a Mega-Spawn.....

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 17:11
Well, there is that problematic rule that says that LoS is drawn through the body of the model and not to the base... which is a stupid move on GW's part. But I'd say use a big base and make it as big as you want. I wanna use the Illidan model as a Daemon Prince when it comes out in December... he's the f'in man. I'll give him a nice big base.

Durath
15-10-2007, 17:12
3rd Edition was very specifc about the size, but I suppose that no longer applies.

If I were gaming with someone with a representative Daemon Prince model, I would say it would have to be at least as big as the Citadel Daemon Prince model.

marv335
15-10-2007, 17:12
I'd try using the size of the DP model as a basis for comparison

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 17:17
The old Codex said 10' to scale. I'd say that ruling is still fine; models built to the scale of that rule should still be legal. Therefore, 10' to scale.

possessed
15-10-2007, 18:02
I'd say DP's are GD's smaller cousins but should still be large enough to represent being a monstrous champion of their deity.

Lastie
15-10-2007, 18:11
Personally? Whatever you want - as long as you tell me it's a Daemon Prince beforehand I don't mind if you use a Hobbit as the oh mighty Daemon of Princehood.

WYSIWYG? Better use something suitably big and scary.

thecadian
15-10-2007, 20:32
Just as a point of interest what size is the demon princes base?

James

Gwedd
15-10-2007, 21:18
Comrade,

The actual white metal "Chaos Demon Prince" model from GW comes with a 40mm round base, and stands about 4.5 inches tall, depending upon how you want to measure it.

I'm mounting mine on a larger base and because of the flying pose I am using, it will actually be taller, probably around 7" or so.

Respects,

boogle
15-10-2007, 21:24
Yeah i would say it has to be on a 40mm Round Base minimum, but can be as tall or a short as you like after that

The Guy
15-10-2007, 22:05
Oh come on it's a daemon prince! Bigger the better ;)

Imperialis_Dominatus
15-10-2007, 22:55
Oh come on it's a daemon prince! Bigger the better ;)

In the old days (a few months ago) you could have a Daemon Prince who wasn't statured... I had one planned out. Now he's just a Lord.

Adra
15-10-2007, 23:06
i would say anything from Brood Lord up.

jfrazell
16-10-2007, 12:23
If you want something suitably impressive, let basing make the mini for you. Use the suitably large base. Take your termie/oblit and build it standing on raised piece of terrain, the top of some ruins, even a pile of skulls. That would also help equalize with LOS issues as well. Maybe add some large banners for futher impressiveness. Love the idea by the way.

Shibboleth
16-10-2007, 12:45
I was planning on doing mine with an Obliterator model, but converted to be standing erect rather than hunched. Which hopefully should be nearing the current hunched daemon prince in height, especially when incorporating jfrazell's techniques...

pookie
16-10-2007, 12:55
If you want something suitably impressive, let basing make the mini for you. Use the suitably large base. Take your termie/oblit and build it standing on raised piece of terrain, the top of some ruins, even a pile of skulls. That would also help equalize with LOS issues as well. Maybe add some large banners for futher impressiveness. Love the idea by the way.

i think this is the way forward for me.

i want the DP to be mid way between a SM and the Current DP, seems as long as its approx size 3 (in total) then i should be ok, im planning on putting it on a 40mm base anyway so no probs there, might even put it on the 60mm base that comes iwth the cadian HW teams.