PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking to start a gang.

Trey
15-10-2007, 16:46
I'm new to 40k and Necromunda. I'm planning on starting up an Orlock gang. I plan on using the Catachan Jungle Fighters plastic boxed set. I plan on calling my gang the Lords of Steel. I want to try to model a crown onto the head of my gang Leader. I also plan to paint a tattoo of a silver crown on each shoulder of the gang members. That will help to seperate them from the Juves.

I'm looking for some advice on color schemes, bits or easy conversions for the gang to make them look more like a gang and less like the military. Any tips on which models to use for a heavy would be great. Also any tips or tutorials on painting flesh would be helpful.

Here is the plan for the gang members but its not set in stone and I'm very open to suggestions.

King Steel (Leader) Chainsword, and Autopistol 160pts
Brutus (Heavy) Heavy Bolter, and Lasgun 265pts
Big Mike (Heavy) Lasgun 85pts
Caius (Ganger) Lasgun 75pts
Crazy Rick (Ganger) Lasgun 75pts
Shotgun Eddie (Ganger) Shotgun, with Manstopper shells 75pts
Ichiro (Ganger) Chain, and Frag Grendades 90pts
Lance (Juve) Autopistol 40pts
Sue (Juve) Autopistol 40pts
Frankie Boy (Juve) Stubgun, with Dumdum rounds 40pts

If anyone is familiar with the Jungle Fighter boxed sets and can tell me what bits I will need to get that would be great. I'm guessing I'll need to get the a heavy bolter, and probably a figure to hold it, 3 autopistols, and a stubgun.

floyd pinkerton
15-10-2007, 17:35
Hi, welcome to the forums and the game!

To make them look more like a ragtag gang then military, I'd suggest converting them into different poses and not putting on kit like water bottles and comm-packs.

As for the list-

Give your heavy a heavy stubber. Possibly the best gun in the game. You could even take 2 heavies. I'd suggest using the comm-packs as heavy backpacks, with the aerial removed.

I'd suggest these for heavies as they are in a pose where you can convert them to be holding most heavy weapons. Plus there's two, more reason to have two heavies:D

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060105140&orignav=9

I'd suggest using the IG tank accessories sprue heavy stubber.

The gang looks pretty solid, though remember it will grow over time. What I do is start with the bare bones and build it up, but that's more personal preference.

The catachan box contains-
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120105004&orignav=9
20 men
24 lasguns
4 flamers
12 ammo pack things
12 water bottles and sheathed knifes
4 comm-packs
4 grenade arms
8 knife arms
4 laspistol arms
4 sword arms

I'd suggest making a flamer into a shotgun by removing the fuel tank and the end, and putting on the end of a bolter or something.

maybe you could just take laspistols instead of an autopistols? I use laspistols over autopistols but again that's personal preference.

Not sure for the chainsword just from the catachan box, though I'm sure you'll have one spare from somewhere.

For stubguns I use ork pistols with the symbols removed.

Hope I was of help.

Daredhnu
15-10-2007, 21:00
if you wouldn't mind mail-ordering some extra weapons sprue you might want to take a look at these.

Basic Weapons Sprue (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059903502&orignav=9) (lasguns, shotguns & autoguns)

Basic Weapons Sprue (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059915916&orignav=9) (shotguns & autoguns also cheaper.)

Close Combat Weapon Sprue (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059915915&orignav=9)

Van Saar Weapon Sprue 1 (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059913707&orignav=9)

Van Saar Weapon Sprue 2 (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059913708&orignav=9)

Goliath Heavy Weapons. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059911705&orignav=9)

“Special Weapons Sprue” (only 1 flamer) (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059915914&orignav=9)

Close Combat & Pistol Sprue (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059903501&orignav=9)

you can do a search for "weapon" on the GW online store in the necromunda section for more but these would be best to make your gangers with i think.

and as for your gang play a few games before deciding how to arm all of them to get a feel for them. (that is if you haven't already :D)

i prefer las weapons as back-ups because of their reliability and solid ammo guns as my gangers main weapon (shotguns/autoguns)
also i'd go with heavy stubbers as floyd pointed out they rock.:evilgrin:

but those are just my preferences so you could ignore them if you want to.

Trey
16-10-2007, 01:41
The advice I've gotten so far has been great thanks guys. The sprues you two pointed out are just what I was looking for. I still have a few questions though. Why do you suggest the heavy stubber over the heavy bolter for one. And second on the Orlock Leader weapon list Chainsword is listed twice, is this an error? Are they supposed to be allowed some other weapon? Does anyone have any idea for bits that I could use to make an iron crown for my leader? Thanks again for the help. Now I just hope I can find someone in my area who plays Necromunda or I will have to start working on a second gang just to have somone to fight.

Daredhnu
16-10-2007, 06:27
first off ignore the weapon lists they suck big time trust me.

secondly heavy stubber vs heavy bolter wel lets see

ammo (4+ vs 6+)
shots (2-6 vs 1-3)
price (120 vs 180)

and the things a bolter is better at don't really matter with starting gangs
(S5 and d3 wounds while nice aren't really necessary.)

but in the end if you have your heart set on the heavy bolter it's your choice.

oh and good luck with finding someone to play with, though from experience i can tell you that if you can get them to play people will like it.

Tomothy
16-10-2007, 12:16
first off ignore the weapon lists they suck big time trust me.

secondly heavy stubber vs heavy bolter wel lets see

ammo (4+ vs 6+)
shots (2-6 vs 1-3)
price (120 vs 180)

Incorrect. They have the same amount of sustained fire.

and the things a bolter is better at don't really matter with starting gangs
(S5 and d3 wounds while nice aren't really necessary.)

but in the end if you have your heart set on the heavy bolter it's your choice.

oh and good luck with finding someone to play with, though from experience i can tell you that if you can get them to play people will like it.
The heavy bolter is a long term investment that costs more and is harder to get to work in the beginning. But is more effective in the long run, with a few techno advances on the heavy.

Trey
16-10-2007, 14:48
Thanks for the pros and cons list. I just think the heavy bolter looks cooler. I havn't been able to find a heavy stubber I really like the looks of.

Weagmacht
16-10-2007, 17:14
I used a Chaos autocannon with the marine arm, ammo box, bayonet and daemon-head barrel decoration chopped off. looks great, especially after I added an ammo belt from the Catachan heavy weapons box.

you can order the bit individually here (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010207407&orignav=9) if you like.

Also try running searches for each Necro house name, you'll turn up all sorts of good stuff.

Daredhnu
16-10-2007, 18:46
Incorrect. They have the same amount of sustained fire.

:eek: oops my mistake was going from memory cause i didn't have my book with me.

but i still think the heavy stubber is better than a heavy bolter seeing as how you can't actually shoot at sustained fire without jamming with a heavy bolter, except if your very lucky.

also like to say that the heavy bolter is just as easy to get later on as when your gang just starts out.

but it's your choice Trey and if you like the heavy bolter more then go for it but try not to use sustained fire and just fire single bolts with it so it won't jam as fast.

Trey
17-10-2007, 02:16
That autocannon looks pretty sweet I think I will purchase that and use that for my heavy stubber. Thanks for the help.

Major_Gilbear
21-10-2007, 10:27
The HB has a longer range and does more damage than the HS though (D3 wounds instead of 1) and also has a higher strength, so you will wound more often.

I agree with Tomothy about the HB being a better weapon in the long run too. Besides, the threat to your enemy of a HB is much greater than the HS, and you can always choose choose to fire SS (single shot) instead of SF (sustained fire); this cuts down ammo roll risk and makes it work more like a massive sniper rifle. This is quite allowed in the rules and is great for really brutal weapons like the HB and AC.

As others have said, ignore the House Weapon Lists / Leader-only Items and the restrictions on playing a game before being allowed to buy common equipment like photo-visors, etc. These are really duff rules that totally spoil the original Necro flavour.

I would try and maximise the Income Bracket too; check out the size of your gang, and compare it to the Income Table. You should be able to take an extra member without harming your income (ie, 11 members instead of 10). Hired guns can be useful too, as they count for your Bottle Tests, but not for your Income.

If you want the Juves to look more obvious, try and use smaller arms for them; the new Flagellants have smaller bare arms for example, and you can always combine clothed armes with the Catachan torsos wearing jackets to indicate "Biker Leathers" (so clothed arms can be used too - Empire Militia and State Troops are good).

Also, if you are happy bitz-ordering a few items, why not order the whole lot? If you order two Catachan sprues instead of a whole box, you can also then order a Milita sprue and maybe the Catachan Heavy Weapon crew sprue (for backpacks, better swords and more varied model poses)? Plus a couple of the weapon sprues Daredhnu suggested, of course. It would probably only cost a couple of pounds more overall but would give you more flexibility.

As for your weapon choices, I would consider dropping Ichiro's grenades, and changing his chain for a maul (more reliable in the long term). I would also buy him an autopistol. Consider upgrading King Steel's pistol to a Bolt pistol too; his superior BS is going to make this a very effective weapon. Changing Caius's Lasgun for an autogun saves a few creds too, and helps vary the weapons in the gang (this also helps to "demilitarise" them by making them more individual). Also, as this is your first gang, maybe swap the Autopistol on Lance for a Laspistol. I usually don't ever suggest this as Autopistols are so much better, but it gives you chance to try them out and make your own mind up, as well as adding more variety.
After a few games, you might want to look at trying a Plasma Gun too, they are extremely good in Necro, and frankly I almost think they are better than a Heavy weapon (especially if you take two!).

Finally, for Hired Guns, consider the Ratskin Scout; he's very good for helping you to choose favourable scenarios, and is a reasonable fighter. Plus he's cheap and there is a (small) chance of getting more terretory for free if you win the scenario.
If not, I always like the Pitslaves; they are great fun to convert and paint, and they are usually really different to the rest of your gang. Shears are my favourite weapon for them, not because they are the most effective, but because of the chance of killing a model outright - it scares my opponents far more than is reasonable! Hehe :p. Besides, they are even cheaper still at only 10cr a game. Bargain really.

If you would like to see examples of Catachan and Cadian sprues being used to make Orlocks and other gangs, Catferret, Redskullz, Ross and others have all made some fantastic conversions - you can see them in The Underhive (follow the linky in my sig!) ;)

Anywhoo, I hope at least some of my ramblings are of help!

ash_wednesday
01-11-2007, 20:24
I have done a few Orlock gangs in my time. I have used the Jungle fighter plastic models alot. Also to give them a more "Orlock" feel, use the bodies that have the vest or jacket. Then add the Cadians arms to them. It will give them the boker with sholder pads look that the Orlocks have. Also with the Cadians, you can get the chainswords.

As for other weapons, you could try and buy the Necromunda weapon packs but they take a while to get to your home. For plasyic shotguns, use the Space Marine Scouts kits. They have plastic shotguns. you can buy booster paskc for Space marines to get other weapons like Boltguns, plasma pistols, boltpistols and such. Also with the cadians, you can get flamers, greande launchers. With a heavy wepaon pack you'll get the heavy weapons that are plastic and should be easy to convert.

With autoguns, just use the lasguns and shave the sides off.