PDA

View Full Version : Dark Magic: Soul Stealer

Warlord Gnashgrod
05-09-2005, 19:39
I have a question on the Dark Magic spell Soul Stealer. Yesterday I played a game against a guy who said that the spell will affect all enemy units within 6 inches of the caster. But according to my Dark Elf book(which I just looked at) it says that Soul Stealer affects one enemy unit within 6 inches of the caster.

Now I know there have been some revisions to the Dark Elf list, and that the magic lists in general have gotten a little tweaking as well. But does the Spell affect all enemy units with 6 inches of the caster, or just one, chosen by the player casting the spell? I haven't kept up with the changes to the Dark Magic list, if there have been any.

Thanks for any help answering this. I greatly appreciate it.

Arnizipal
05-09-2005, 20:47
AFAIK, it's just one unit within 6".
This is also what it says on the Dark Elf spells pdf on GW's main site.

Cenyu
05-09-2005, 21:07
Yes, Soul stealer only works on one unit within 6".

Perhaps he confused it with a spell from the Lore of Death?

Drain Life for example affects all units within 12".

Warlord Gnashgrod
05-09-2005, 21:19
Yes, Soul stealer only works on one unit within 6".

Perhaps he confused it with a spell from the Lore of Death?

Drain Life for example affects all units within 12".

Yes, that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks guys for helping me confirm that it does only affect one unit.

It's possible he confused it with Drain life. It's also possible he might have only looked at the summary for the spells at the back of the DE book and misinterpreted the spell rules for Soul Stealer. It's also possible that he blatantly cheated. Ah well. I guess I'll never know for certain. But at least now I can be prepared next time. It's not a really big deal, it's just that I don't like finding out I may have been cheated.

However, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and figure that it was an honest mistake. If he just looked at the summary in the back of the book, it could be an easy mistake to make.

EvC
07-09-2005, 12:43
If you're unsure, always make them double check. He was probably misremembering accidentally on purpose.

Warlord Gnashgrod
07-09-2005, 19:29
I plan to do so from now on, EvC. It's very sound advice.

Frodo34x
07-09-2005, 19:35
I agree, I always make people double check rules there are disagreements on.

Strictly Commercial
10-09-2005, 15:14
A good rule of thumb is that anyone claiming there is a revision of the rules is obligated to present that copy of the rules when they mention it.