PDA

View Full Version : Mages and magic weapons

DrCamf
13-04-2005, 10:55
Hey just a simple question that has got my club thinking, the question is can a mage choose a magic weapon, the question arrose because a HE player equiped a mage with Reaverbow.
I myself play HE as one of my armies and have never given a mage a magic weapon and know of noone else who has. The only mention of mages not being able to take magic weapons I yet have found is in the Bretonnian book where it says that their mages can't pick magic weapons.

Atrahasis
13-04-2005, 11:14
All that is required to take a Magic Weapon is the ability to carry a weapon. As all models come equipped with a hand weapon (with a few specific exceptions), mages can take any magic weapon unless a specific restriction is placed upon them.

McMullet
13-04-2005, 11:32
The only reason not to take a magic weapon is that most mages have very poor stats, and so aren't likely to do much damage in combat - if they get into combat, all that happens is thdey die, wasting the points you paid for their magic abilities. There are some exceptions, such as Vampires, and also some models are expressely forbiddden the right to take a magic weapon (eg, Slann), but there is no general rule.

Hideous Loon
13-04-2005, 11:42
But a Reaverbow has the whole point of being a missile weapon, so he can run around, firing the bow and casting Comets of Casandora without having to get into knife-stabbing-nearness.

Festus
13-04-2005, 14:35
But his BS is abyssmal...

Major Defense
13-04-2005, 14:52
HE mages can't take regular bows the way that HE warriors can. I remember reading somewhere (but I am not 100% certain) that this difference prevents those mages from taking a magical bow.

FAQ/Errata correction in 3...2...1...

Atrahasis
13-04-2005, 15:25
HE mages can't take regular bows the way that HE warriors can. I remember reading somewhere (but I am not 100% certain) that this difference prevents those mages from taking a magical bow.

I'm afraid you remember incorrectly.

Any weapon allows a character to take any magic weapon.

anarchistica
13-04-2005, 15:44

No that's magical armour/shields you're thinking of.

Atrahasis
13-04-2005, 16:11
No that's magical armour/shields you're thinking of.

No rule exists that distinguishes between magical armour and shields for this purpose either.

GW might wish it did, but it doesn't.

Festus
13-04-2005, 16:34
right, there is just a FAQ / Q&A to make matters worse :)

Greetings
Festus

anarchistica
13-04-2005, 19:25
No rule exists that distinguishes between magical armour and shields for this purpose either.

Yes there is. You can't take a magic shield if you don't have the option to take a mundane shield.

chivalrous
14-04-2005, 02:33
Cut and Pasted from the FAQ pdf available to download from the Warhammer Chronicles (http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/faq/1/) section of the Games Workshop website

Q. Does a character have to have the option of a mundane version of a magic item (like a shield) in his army list entry in order to take a magical version?

A. A character who may not take normal armour (i.e, has no option for normal armour in his army list entry) may not wear magic armour. A Battle Standard Bearer who cannot have a normal shield cannot take a magical shield. Similarly a Battle Standard Bearer is not allowed to take magical weapons that require two hands.
However, note that these last two are specific restrictions for Battle Standard Bearers - a character who does not normally have the option for a great weapon could still take a magic weapon that requires two hands to use, for example. The same goes for ranged magic weapons - you don't necessarily need a mundane magical missle weapon option to take one.
Only Wizards can take Arcane Items. Some characters (such as Slann Mage-Priests, or Dwarf Daemon Slayers) may have additional restrictions or allowances.

The line "The same goes for ranged magic weapons - you don't necessarily need a mundane magical missle weapon option to take one." seems to answer the initial query.

A character who may not take normal armour (i.e, has no option for normal armour in his army list entry) may not wear magic armour."
Someone could argue that you carry a shield rather than wear it, which by the wording of the answer allows any character to take a magic shield even if they couldn't take a mundane one.
My attitude to anyone who suggests this is that they should be stuck in an airtight room and forced to spray paint models for a week.

Atrahasis
14-04-2005, 09:04
Yes there is. You can't take a magic shield if you don't have the option to take a mundane shield.

I call your bluff. Quote the rule.

WLBjork
14-04-2005, 11:18
Hmm... reading the FAQ it is, as ever, unclear.

Is it supposed to be just BSBs who can't take magic shields (understandably); or is the entry intended as an example?

Given that it's a seperate sentence, I'd opt for the first version - the only character type specifically excluded from a magic shield is the BSB (and Wizards who, IIRC, aren't allowed armour in any way, shape or form unless specifically stated in the entry for the armour).

anarchistica
14-04-2005, 13:18
I call your bluff. Quote the rule.
From the GW boards FAQ:

Magic Items

Q : If a character has an armor upgrade option, but not a shield upgrade option (the DE Beastmaster in the errata for example), can he take magical shields, and/or magicl armors that are stated to include a shield (armor of darkness)
A : No

taer
14-04-2005, 15:51
[B]
My attitude to anyone who suggests this is that they should be stuck in an airtight room and forced to spray paint models for a week.

Wait...Is that a punishment?

chivalrous
14-04-2005, 19:30
Wait...Is that a punishment?

Suffocation can be a slow painful way to die without some form of anasthetic.

taer
14-04-2005, 19:35
Suffocation can be a slow painful way to die without some form of anasthetic.

Oh, I think you'd die of chemically induced damage to your brain long before you died of suffocation. But man, you'd be so screwed up before you kicked the bucket!

Atrahasis
15-04-2005, 15:54
From the GW boards FAQ:

Magic Items

Q : If a character has an armor upgrade option, but not a shield upgrade option (the DE Beastmaster in the errata for example), can he take magical shields, and/or magicl armors that are stated to include a shield (armor of darkness)
A : No

I didn't ask for a baseless Q&A, I asked for the rule.

Festus
15-04-2005, 16:04
This is a rule aFAI am concerned, and it is such for most tourney-organizers and attendees.

Greetings
Festus

Atrahasis
15-04-2005, 16:07
This is a rule aFAI am concerned, and it is such for most tourney-organizers and attendees.

1. Its not in print, and therefore not official.
2. It was given as an answer at the same time as several answers which are blatantly wrong (fleeing standards, MR in units etc)

It is completely unsupported by any rule and contradicts everything in print on the subject.

BullBuchanan
15-04-2005, 18:44
Well its typed in the Official FAQ is it not? If you don't take GW's word for it, then what exactly are you looking for? Of course it isn't written anywhere in any rulebook, because they didn't think about it. Hence thats why it comes up in these FAQ's.

anarchistica
15-04-2005, 20:21
I didn't ask for a baseless Q&A, I asked for the rule.

1. Its not in print, and therefore not official.
2. It was given as an answer at the same time as several answers which are blatantly wrong (fleeing standards, MR in units etc)

It is completely unsupported by any rule and contradicts everything in print on the subject.
Baseless? Answers from the developers baseless? It's not official no, and the FAQ might contradict older rules yes, but the rulebook itself contradicts itself and you can pull off pretty much anything since Gav said that if you have the rulebook and the army book, you have the rules.

There is no "official", just what is used by players and tournament organisers.

Neknoh
15-04-2005, 20:24
If I recall correctly, that Q&A section is the one from Chronicles 2004!!!

Yes, it is published, and it is an OFFICIAL Q&A

Major Defense
15-04-2005, 21:11
Stop the insanity!! If you want to use rules lawyering to give your characters items that your opponents and Games Workshop are trying to tell you that you can't have...well then have fun playing with yourself. ;)

anarchistica
16-04-2005, 01:23
I can't find it in my (US i believe) Chronicles 2004, but GW might, like sometime get around to, like, you know, clarify stuff and stuff.

As far as the suits are concerned, the rules are like, a funny add on, that perhaps helps selling the rules but is like, you know, not really important or anything.

Yes i went into valleygirlmode especially for you guys!!!11

;)

Warptraveller
27-10-2005, 05:10
[QUOTE=DrCamf]Hey just a simple question that has got my club thinking, the question is can a mage choose a magic weapon, the question arrose because a HE player equiped a mage with Reaverbow.

I'd assume that you could equip your mage with a magic weapon as I can't see anywhere saying you can't. But why would you want to?
:confused:

T10
27-10-2005, 08:14
There is no restriction on taking weapons apart from what is listed in the character entry in the army list with regards to what magic items the character can select.

-T10

Arthion
27-10-2005, 12:51
@ At the two posters above me: Did you even read the whole thread, that question is answered some zillion posts before. Stop spamming and so I shut up ;)!

Inquisitor Maul
27-10-2005, 13:33
Imagine a chaos sorcerrer with the mark of slaneesh and a Deamon Sword :D

A level 4 spellcaster with the stats of a Keeper of Secrets :D :evilgrin:

Festus
27-10-2005, 18:03
Hi

Imagine a chaos sorcerrer with the mark of slaneesh and a Deamon Sword :D

A level 4 spellcaster with the stats of a Keeper of Secrets :D :evilgrin:
... who kills himself in about 3 turns of fighting???

More power to him, I'd say! :rolleyes:

Festus

Autobot HQ
28-10-2005, 21:35
Inquistor Maul, that combination is often used down my local GW - Seem's to be a given if you're taking a Slaanesh Lvl4 that he gets that sword.

Inquisitor Maul
28-10-2005, 21:57
Indeed. Though, like Festus said, it can realy prove the meaning of a two edged sword ;)

Well, with the very powerfull lore, I'd rather throw a bunch of power familiars or some other stuff onto him to realy cause some havoc

gortexgunnerson
29-10-2005, 11:56
Or you could just take a Keeper of secrets lol a level 4 spell caster with all the stats for a Kepper of secrets lol. Twice the price but much much cooler :) and a lot harder to kill.

Just on the orginal topic I regualarly give my HE mage a reaver bow as think its a good combo, but only if I'm going magic heavy and alrady have the ring of fury and chanellor, seer mages running about.

I wouldn't say that as pointed out earlier people are trying to sneak in extra weapons GW doesn't want them taking for characters, I think the limitations of mundane ideas is to restrict people giving their characters silly combos. I mean the Great weapon is no so common because it cheaper and better then most magic items. I think mundane versions are limited to make people take magic items if they want upgrades and keep the distinction between characters and models with better stats

MarcoPollo
30-10-2005, 18:29
So what if my slaanesh mage has the demon sword. Put him on a horse to give him an armor save of 2+. You can still add more magic items on him to protect him. Yes it is expensive bu so are many of the Tzeetch heros and Lords.