PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Chaos and horns?

Pooky
16-10-2007, 03:36
Basically I want to know why do CSM have horns on their helmets? Is it something they added since they turned? Or was it always there? Does it grow when you turn, indicating that they weren't there when they were loyalists? And if it does grow when they turned why are their helmets fine, but on other models the armor is all cracked and mangled?

Also, if they grew horns after they turned, why did the gods of Chaos choose to give them horns? Say, as opposed to claws/ talons? Or cat eyes? Or anything else that could be weird and wonderful? Why horns?

UncleCrazy
16-10-2007, 03:38
Because if you took the horns off they would look just like normal SMs, trust me I have some old Chaos Terminators from before the horns and they look the same untill you see the markings.

TheOverlord
16-10-2007, 03:38
Because horns are far easier to sculp than cat eyes :D

Actually I just like to believe that Chaos just happen to like trophies, so adorns their helmets and armor with their fangs or tusks.

Noserenda
16-10-2007, 03:40
Because horns look scary?

Shiakou
16-10-2007, 03:57
Because Daemons in western myths usually sport horns?

Pooky
16-10-2007, 04:01
Ok, so other than they look cool, can someone tell me a little more about the fluff of horns? Like, how do they grow out of someones head then through the helmet?

Vaulkhar
16-10-2007, 04:04
Usually, yes.

One theory is that because horns are associated with daemons, they provoke a fearful reaction in normal humans. This projects into the Warp, which in turn encourages the Ruinous Powers to keep giving their followers horns.

But don't ever crack the 'I'm so horny, horny, horny, horny' line, particularly around Slaaneshi. It's horribly open to misinterpretation.

Kandarin
16-10-2007, 04:25
Chaos mutates flesh, bone, nerve, and skin. Of all of these, bone is the most likely to survive a lifetime of combat. While the others get blasted away in the course of a marine's life, their bony protrusions endure longer. Thus, horns. As a related phenomenon, there are enough loose horns (from dead Chaos beasties, etc.) that the marines that don't get that particular mutation can snap them off and put them on their armor to fit the norm of fearsomeness without the inconvenience.

Or...they're supposed to look demonic, so they have horns.

TheOverlord
16-10-2007, 04:47
Horns aren't bone... they're hair :D

... I think? hahaha. My science fu is weak.

RexTalon
16-10-2007, 04:54
QFT

It's Kandarin who has weak science-fu.:evilgrin:

Pooky
16-10-2007, 05:01
On a similar note to horns, why do 1000 sons and Khorne berserkers have the funny ear things? They aren't horns, they are like decorations to their helmets. Do they have particular meaning? And why do the 1000 sons look egyptian and why do berserkers looks like bunny ears?

TheOverlord
16-10-2007, 05:17
The bunny ears on berserkers are in resemblance to the symbol of khorne.

I have absolutely no idea about the thousand sons though. Might be cause they have always modelled their helmets to that way? Their world was very egyptian, I think.

Argastes
16-10-2007, 05:20
Ok, so other than they look cool, can someone tell me a little more about the fluff of horns? Like, how do they grow out of someones head then through the helmet?

No, no-one can tell you a little more about the "fluff of horns". Because no such fluff exists. When the design team sat down and decided on a visual style for CSMs, they didn't say, "Okay guys, let's decide what decorations they will have based on a logical, consistent concept of how Chaos alters those who serve it." They just decided that CSMs were going to be WHFB Chaos Warriors in space. Sorry, but there IS no conclusive answer to the question of why CSMs have horns, it was just an arbitrary decision by the sculptors and/or concept artists. This thread is just like the "Why are Eldar helmets pointy???" threads. There is no established fluff-based reason, that's just how they roll. You're never get a satisfactory answer if you ask why, so it's probably best to just accept it and move on.

EDIT: The same holds true for Berserker and Thousand Sons helmet crests. They are just stylistic elements that are either based on either the symbol of the relevant Chaos god, or (vaguely) on the real-life historical culture/civilization that was used as inspiration for the models and the army's general "feel" and style. Or just on the whims of the guys who sculpted the models or produced the concept art. There is no fluff that says "The helmets of CSMs/Berserkers/Thousand Sons look like they do because....", so your questions are unanswerable. I'm sure you've heard of the "rule of cool"; it reigns supreme in the realm of CSM helmet styles, just as it does in so many other areas of 40K.

TheMartyr451
16-10-2007, 05:44
I'd say it has to do with trophies or intimidation. Most likely trophies though. Maybe the marine slew some large warp beast and decided "Hey, since I killed such a great beast, I'll adorn my armor with it's horns and teeth to show how good of a warrior I am, and maybe it will attract the attention of the Dark Gods!". Kind of like Kharn, how he slew a Myca Dragon and put it's teeth on Gorechild. Sure they are probably extremely sharp, but it is also a testament to his battle prowess.

Just my take on it, but it could be for any number of reasons.

Brother Siccarius
16-10-2007, 06:48

... I think? hahaha. My science fu is weak.

Usually, yes, but as there are chaos heads with the horns generally being shown breaking through the skin (in a way different from how the skin surrounds a normal horn), I'd say it's often bone. With them being chaos gods however, it's just as likely to be made out of compacted and dried mucus, jelly beans, or water as anything else.

Some of them appear to be simply horns added on to the helmets, though still others appear to have them growing out of their skulls. Though that would simply be an incredibly painful mutation, not just in development but also having a piece of bone protruding from your body and very susceptible to damage. Imagine the pain of a broken bone, only that broken bone was lit on fire, shot, sustained shrapnel damage, and that guardsmen you just gored with it was wearing carapace armor. Yikes.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
16-10-2007, 08:51
One thing that has always bugged me, why do chaos space marines have the backpacks that stick out? They don't look mutated and I can't imagine every chaos space marne modifying their back back. This also goes with the traitor legion's armour. Didn't the emperor's children, death guard, etc. wear older versions of power armour when they rebelled?

possessed
16-10-2007, 16:38
I think in most cases the armor just mutates along with it's wearer. Look at all the arrow and skull decorations on their armor.
Have a look at the new possessed, they do have horns bursting from shoulderpads and whatnot, it looks like a mix of mutated armor and armor just cracking on the pressure of the many physical mutations.

Brother Siccarius
16-10-2007, 17:46
For one thing, it'd be difficult for many marines to be able to find good replacement parts for their armor, so they'd have to go with rigged and piece mail armor. There's probably a lot of the newer armor in the original traitor legion's armor, as the armor of the Loyalist Marines would be an easy target for looting after a fine victory. Similar to why the 13th company marines have chaos armor incorporated into their normal armor.

Marstfu
16-10-2007, 19:57
"Let's have horns, we'll be scary!"
-"No, the Codex says no."
"Damn you, I'll go and worship chaos then."

nazrag
16-10-2007, 22:41
because chaos marines are just spiky space marines..that are EVIL! :D

Pooky
16-10-2007, 22:49
Could it be a Norskan thing to have horns on the helmet?

Eisen
16-10-2007, 23:13
Eh. Horns are downright DANGEROUS in close combat... to the wearer, that is, not the other guy. Good way of breaking your neck.

That said, I always figured they were strictly for intimidation value in Chaos Marines, and either their necks are the size of fire hydrants to reduce the risks, or the horns shear easily. You want silly headgear options, though... look at the Night Lords.

IyandenAvatar
17-10-2007, 00:07
I never understood it myself... I guess thats why I use those IW heads for my CSMs that bothered to put on horns. They seem pretty ludicrous with those huge ones. You can almost picture a frightened guardsman clammer into a bunker and turn around in complete horror only to stifle a chuckle when the chaos marine chasing him gets its helmet caught in the doorway making a pratfall worthy of Benny Hill theme music.

Eisen
17-10-2007, 00:15
Nope, CSMs come with free frag grenades now - diving into a bunker's not enough to save you. Chaos FTW!

Seriously, chances of ANY Space Marine fitting inside a Guard bunker based on the fluff we're given are slim to none, unless they have not only super-strength but also dimensional pockets in which to keep their shoulder pads and six inches of height.

IyandenAvatar
17-10-2007, 00:21
Truth

...It would still be funny though

HowlingBanshee23
17-10-2007, 01:15
I always figured that if I wanted Raptors I just needed to buy some Night Lords models and give them pistols and swords...

Feer teh Bat!