PDA

View Full Version : Good Blood Angels Adversary

Krimzenkov
16-10-2007, 05:34
Hi, I'm new to the hobby and am nearing the 1500 point mark with my blood angels army. I was looking for a good adversary for the Blood Angels as my friends are reluctant to join the hobby but I think I can hook them by having them play a few matches. So that means I need to pick another army, oh poor me :) (very excited)

Anyway I've had a lot of fun painting this army, I'm ready to take on something else, anything good and fluffy that I could do? Any other comments or suggestions, both fluff and gameplay wise I should consider?

warchild9
16-10-2007, 05:39
BLACK LEGION......Chaos Marines mainly for them Fluff

Horus Killed Sanginus, Emperorer Killed Horus...And NOW Abaddon will KILL ALL

Krimzenkov
16-10-2007, 05:43
EEEEK, Chaos.

Hmm my only concern is whether I might get sick of painting space marine like models. Although the new chaos look very cool indeed.

Edit: I do like their paint schemes, reading fluff right now. I feel my wallet crying already :D

Triggerdog
16-10-2007, 05:45
Orks. Blood Angels dont like Orks in the least (just look at Captain Tycho's rules).

TheOverlord
16-10-2007, 05:48
Black Legion! Who else could they possibly hate more than the legion that took away their primarch and caused them down the road to damnnation from the black rage?

Krimzenkov
16-10-2007, 05:50
I like the idea of the orks but it sounds like a lot of new models are coming out early next year, so I'll probably wait on that. So if I were to make a black legion army, should I consider anything that would affect gameplay with the BA? Trying to make a generally even fighting force.

Edit: maybe this isn't a huge concern though as I just have a mish mash of units in my BA army, since I wanted a bit of variety.

Tulun
16-10-2007, 06:43
If you want a fun one, you could make Traitor guard. Just try to theme it around what a Traitor list might look like (likely less equipment, not a lot of morale boosters... conscripts for sure).

Plus, you don't have 2 SM armies, if that's a concern.

SwordJon
16-10-2007, 06:54
Black Legion - Blood Angels fought Black Legion (then known as Sons of Horus) at the siege of Terra. Tons of enmity between these two former battle brothers. The primogenitor of the Black Legion killed the Blood Angels Primarch. That's pretty bad blood if I ever seen it.

Orks - Blood Angels third company is fighting against Orks on Armageddon. Captain Tycho of the third company died while fighting there. I'd say that's a pretty big reason, along with Orks getting a new codex soon, to collect them. Plus that way you'll get to paint something more interesting than shoulder pads and armor trim.

Psycho_Laughs
16-10-2007, 07:00
in the blood angel novels they end up fighting a large number of word bearers.
but painting that much red might not appeal to you :P

Sekhmet
16-10-2007, 07:03
Black legion.

A few codexes ago, Abaddon's Talon of Horus made all Imperial units make a morale check if they got close or something like that... except Blood Angels, who got really mad and charged him.

Escaflowne_Z
16-10-2007, 09:07
Black Legion would be the perfect counterpoint legion, yes.

If you want to do a different army, then Orks makes perfect sense. Other than the Battle of Terra, there has never been a larger concentration of BA forces than during the 2nd War for Armageddon (which was against the Orks). Orks are completely different from space marines and would be a nice change of pace. And they're really, really, REALLY fun for both the Ork player and the opponent. The world needs more Ork players.

Eulenspiegel
16-10-2007, 10:12
Guys, really, how can you say "Black Legion"?

BACKGROUND REASONS ASIDE, Krim is trying to get new people into the hobby. How should they start? Thinking MEQ ist standard?
I honestly donīt think Space Marines vs dark side version of Space Marines isnīt all too interesting, when you see it for the first time (not knowing the background):

"Oh yeah those are the good guys, and those over there which look exactly the same just with spikes are the bad guys? Great game desing."

I, too, would say: go with Orks.
Buy a smallish core of Boyz and Nobz and use those to explain the rules to your friends while making it absolutely clear that Orks are a little underpowered right now but will be getting a boost in only a few months.

None of the models you buy will be outdated with the new Codex, and Orks <-> Marines are the standard match-up for 40K Iīd say. A perfect starting point to get interested and read up on the fluff.

AbyssRaven
16-10-2007, 11:41
Orc's for reasons others have stated
If they are into Animae tau my appeal, though CC vs Shooty could be interesting and up to the dice gods
Necrons if they like the heavy Sci-Fi theme
Eldar are another possible choice, though they are harder to adapt to.

Champsguy
17-10-2007, 04:26
Tyranids. Tyranids have no particular animosity towards Blood Angels, but they'll be fun to paint, and most people can understand them fairly easily. If you're trying to get people interested in the hobby, you want a cool army with lots of visual appeal. And the Nids have a wide range of fairly cheap plastics.

Firstandonly14
17-10-2007, 04:50
Go with orks, not only are the cool, but they are finally getting revamped :skull:

Krimzenkov
17-10-2007, 06:52
in the blood angel novels they end up fighting a large number of word bearers.
but painting that much red might not appeal to you :P

You know, I didn't quite understand what the fuss over painting red was... until I tried it, I've had my fill of that for a while. Although I just bought a Baal Predator... here I go again!

Guys, really, how can you say "Black Legion"?

BACKGROUND REASONS ASIDE, Krim is trying to get new people into the hobby. How should they start? Thinking MEQ ist standard?
I honestly donīt think Space Marines vs dark side version of Space Marines isnīt all too interesting, when you see it for the first time (not knowing the background):

"Oh yeah those are the good guys, and those over there which look exactly the same just with spikes are the bad guys? Great game desing."

I, too, would say: go with Orks.
Buy a smallish core of Boyz and Nobz and use those to explain the rules to your friends while making it absolutely clear that Orks are a little underpowered right now but will be getting a boost in only a few months.

None of the models you buy will be outdated with the new Codex, and Orks <-> Marines are the standard match-up for 40K Iīd say. A perfect starting point to get interested and read up on the fluff.

I have to say that was a bit of my concern as well as just finishing a space marine army. I really like chaos and someday I hope to have more of them but for now I think I'll go for some sort of xenos.

I'm thinking Orks more and more now. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

dcikgyurt
16-11-2007, 01:21
I'd go with Dark Eldar, as hardly anybody uses them.