PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a bunch of old imperial guard?

Perfect Organism
16-10-2007, 10:14
A friend of mine dug his old bits box out of the attic the other day so we could see if there was anything worth scavenging for our current armies. Amongst other things there was a pile of imperial guard figures, mostly the plastic guys with rounded lasguns (I think they were first edition, possibly second) and some officers and penal troopers in the same style. We also found a few metal autocannons on wheels (no idea where they are from), a couple of old metal sentinels (they are really tiny compared to the new plastic kit) and a leman russ.

In addition to this I have a couple of dozen modern plastic guardsmen and a few heavy weapons in my bits box. By combining these two piles of bits, it looks like we will be able to put together a small imperial guard army, although one with widely varying styles of model.

The question is, what kind of force should we build? I was thinking that maybe chaos cultists or salvar chem-dogs might be the way to go, since they could get away with widely varied equipment and cover up any dodgy details with green stuff rags. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Tremann
16-10-2007, 10:21
I have loads of old IG and I incorporate some of them into my Inquisition force. I don't play much and the for me it's the storyline that is important.
A few on here were talking about building Rouge Trader Forces or armies so it mat well be an option.
What about Tau human forces with a little greenstuff or conversion?

pookie
16-10-2007, 10:42
sell them to me!!!!

they look good in command sqds imo, its what ive planned for the ones i have.

asmodan
16-10-2007, 10:43
I don't know if Lost and the Damned armies are still viable armies, otherwise I would go for the traitor list from IA 5 siege of Vraks

boogle
16-10-2007, 11:14
Use the older models as conscripts as they will be physically smaller than the current models

Baneboss
16-10-2007, 11:35
You mean those? Theyre really, really old. Dates back to 88, 89. I suppose they have a big collectors price for some people. Just dont paint them (if not already) and chop them to bitz. Sell them somewhere if you dont want to keep them.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c890008plasimpguard.htm

boogle
16-10-2007, 11:36
If you do sell them, make sure they are in good condition to get optimum sale price

Bloodknight
16-10-2007, 13:20
Yep, if they're unpainted, leave it at that. The egg sentinels go for good prices, too. But if you really want to do an army with them, go for it. It's always nice to see anything else than plastic Cadians.

Deadmanwade
16-10-2007, 13:31
Use them as a full penal legion. Like the last chancers but a full army of them. The nicer models go in command squads as the Prison Guards and all the old models go into platoons as the Dross and the Scum of the Legion. (It also explains why they're in different style uniforms.)

Seleucus
17-10-2007, 01:38
I have 3 armies of these guys!

The first sticks as closely to the original colours, weapons etc, as possible - very ReTro!

I also inherited a force that had been painted in a good camo pattern, and old Eldar weapons used to act as special weapons, as these (meltas etc) were rare in plastic.

However, the final army is currently being built, and involves swapping a lot of the arms for Cadian ones (I had a lot spare), to give a more upto date feel, and current weapon load outs, or have original arms and fitted with plastic lasguns fron the Catachans or metal lasguns/autoguns from the Necromunda range, with vets getting the shotguns that come on those sprues. A few conversions to allow them to use current plastic heavy weapons, or the wheeled, metal heavy weapons from the 1990s allow these to fit easily into the current ranges.

From what you say, you only have the two styles of troops, which can easily be explained as it is common for under strength regiments to be merged into one, giving one unit, with different uniforms and weapon marks - at least until there is a chance to re-equip them. If I remember correctly, they are named, to begin with, after both regiments - 13th Cadian/33rd Heraklian regiment for an example - but are then named after the world they are on when merged.

Plenty of room for home spun fluff for your army!

Seleucus

TheNZer
17-10-2007, 04:07
Go for Cultists and you can use lots of Bits for them and it would be great fun.