PDA

View Full Version : Is It It Just Me

kairous
16-10-2007, 12:20
Hi guys. Hope this is in the right forum, if not could it please be moved to the correct one, cheers:D

Now is it just me or does the blacklibrary make you want to collect, or take an interest in armies or races that you would never have thought of before.
For example before i read gaunts ghosts, i would never have collected imperial guard, as i thought they were quite a boring army, now, however, i really want to try a guard army, i even have fluff planned and everything.

And currently i am reading daemonslayer, i have just finished slavenslayer (:eek:AWESOME BOOK:eek:), and now i really want to try a skaven army, and orignally the only fantasy armies that i liked were lizards and dark elves.

So i was just wandering if anyone else has had this reaction or a reverse reaction to armies and or races after reading blacklibrary books?

Any thoughts or replies would be nice to hear.

Cheers dudes.

Chaos and Evil
16-10-2007, 12:38
Now is it just me or does the blacklibrary make you want to collect, or take an interest in armies or races that you would never have thought of before.

Yes, that's pretty much the point of the Black Library...

Darkseer
16-10-2007, 13:43

I've just finished reading the Horus Heresy books so far.
I've got to say that while I had no interest in 'goodie marines', I'd now love a pre-heresy world eater or emperors children army!

snurl
16-10-2007, 13:52
Better not read "Tales of the Olde World" - Its an anthology with stories about just about every race. You'll just have to buy them all when you're through.

Light of the Emperor
16-10-2007, 13:53
I finished "Flight of the Eisenstein" a while back and now have a WIP Eisenstein Grey Knight forced based on a particular theory as to how the GK came about. The end of the book hints at it too.

Lord Malorne
16-10-2007, 14:01
Who here did not want to do a Soul Drinkers army after reading the book! i know people from Carlisle to Coventry wh have done one!

It helps if the books are well written like some of them are. though i'm still waiting for a decent Black Templar book. the last two made me stop buying Templars!

sigur
17-10-2007, 00:28
With age and grumpiness, you'll grow more and more resistant to such effects. Oh, and it helps if you have way too many armies already.:o Anyway, I'm also finally reading the first Gaunt's Ghosts novel (got a bunch of BL books at this sellout-thing and thought it might be a good way to find out why people make such a fuss about this whole Gaunt's Ghosts thing).

I'm pleasantly surprised I have to say; the book is a nicer read than I thought. Before that, I read the omnibus about Col.Shaeffer and almost felt embarassed for reading it. 10 years ago, I would have loved it I guess. Gav Thorpe has done great things for the hobby and all but I prefer the Gaunt's Ghosts novel so far. It doesn't make me want to start a Tanith army anyway; I have my IG regiments and I like them but the novels give you nice ideas about missions and stuff.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-10-2007, 00:33
It does vary wildly from book to book, and series to series.

For example, the Slayer series. By the time Vampireslayer came out, you could definitely tell William King was getting a bit bored. The combat was samey, Felix and Gotrek didn't really get hurt, Max got a bit more powerful, and Snorri was comic relief. Giantslayer is by far the weakest of the bunch. Then Nathan Long took the reins. Orcslayer was touch and go at first, but ended really well, and Manslayer, well, my word....what a sod of a way to end the book (people who have read it will know what I mean!)

I reccomend C L Werner.

kairous
17-10-2007, 22:36
Better not read "Tales of the Olde World" - Its an anthology with stories about just about every race. You'll just have to buy them all when you're through.

a story for every race, really????

Whay even armies like lizardmen and tomb kings, which don't generally speak or in a language people can understand are in it, hmmmmmmmmm, might have to pick this one up then.
Also is this book a fantasy version of let the galaxy burn, as i think that has a story from every 40k race in???, if anyone knows the answers please tell me.

P.S. what is invasion and tales from the dark millenium about, are they ahort storeis too?

Brother Loki
18-10-2007, 14:30
Sigur - you may be immune to the lure of Tanith, but wait till you get to the Blood Pact in the later books. You'll want to do an army of them. ;)

Shadow Marine
18-10-2007, 18:42
I have read the abrite books and while not the best BL books I am now building a 2000 arbitea army!!!!

Hicks
18-10-2007, 19:11
I know what you mean, but to avoid these urges to build a new army, I generaly buy BL books about armies I already have. Not only don't I spend tons of money on armies I'll never finish, it makes me want to complete (paint) my existing forces.

The good thing for me is that the BL focuses on the Imperium and since I play Marines, Daemon Hunters and Guards I can still read most of the stuff.

kairous
18-10-2007, 20:21
LOL, is nowone going to answer my questions about the contents of the following books, race and army wise, what do they include:
Let the galaxy burn
tales from the old world
in the dark millenium
and invasion
Any answers to the contents of these would be very useful to me.

Visionary
18-10-2007, 20:35
The combined might of the new munition manual for imperial guard, and the fact I'm playing with them on yet another Dark Crusade may be too much to bear! At least I can make em Lost and the Damned or lesser daemons...

kairous
19-10-2007, 13:55
LOL, is nowone going to answer my questions about the contents of the following books, race and army wise, what do they include:
Let the galaxy burn
tales from the old world
in the dark millenium
and invasion
Any answers to the contents of these would be very useful to me.

ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BOOKS.

But where are my manners, its great to hear other peoples reaction to races and armies in BL books, kepp them coming.

Curufew
19-10-2007, 14:41
Well I read the Grey Knight book by Ben Counter and I really want to start Grey Knights. The only things that are preventing me from starting them are my super undone Empire and my wallet

Brother Loki
19-10-2007, 15:19
Tales from the Dark Millennium and Let the Galaxy Burn are both short story anthologies. I wasn't too impressed with TftDM to be honest. I haven't read the latter one.

kairous
19-10-2007, 16:20
ok thanks for that info dude, now does anyone know about the contents of invasion and or tales from/of the old world, as in what races are covered in them, oh thinking about it, if anyone knows about the races covered in the two 40k ones that would be cool too.
Sorry to be abit pushy guys, just trying to work out what exactly are in these books.
thanks for the info.