PDA

View Full Version : Help my Woodies beating Skaven

fearchanges
16-10-2007, 16:13
Ive started Wood Elves half year a go and enjoyed recently a small local Tournament for Borderpatrol rules between friends. Finished third then and looking forward too use them in a Mighty Empires Campaign.
The problem is that a friend of mine is going to use his Skaven in Clan Skyre/ Eshin style, just like in the semi/finale of the Tournament and kicked my *ss, even in the 2 Rematches a week later.
His Ratling Guns make chopwood out of my Dryads and the Night Runners and Gutter Runners finish off my Glade Guards, besides that, hes Fan of major magic fase and my anti-magic is almost worthless.
Plz give me some advice too counter these Rodents...

Hvidponi
18-10-2007, 21:07
Use the terrain...
Your archers ca kill his ratling very easy, as you can single it out in 7th edition... it got 1 T3 wound...
Wood elves can get great magical defense... a branchwraith with that spite that gives extra dispel... An make him level 1... thats 4 wiht 1 hero...
Use the terrain... Woods are you friend... Hide from the lightnings...
You skirmishers should be able to take down his skirmishers... Fear versus ld 6-7...

Col. Dash
19-10-2007, 01:28
Why are his guns getting shots at your dryads? They are skirmishers, not up front fighters. Have your scouts and warhawks sit on his flanks and take out his guns. Have dryads posted around your terrain to screw with his scouts, they will destroy them. Use you glade guard to pulverize his advancing troops. Have your cav units(you hopefully are using two of them) work in tandem and march block and even better co jump weakened enemy units. Our wizards are just as good as theirs and a couple scroll caddies with the right spites and a good sniper character will eliminate his wizards even if they are in a unit. And this is without us getting into our heavy stuff like waywatchers, highborn and wild riders.

Wreckage
19-10-2007, 14:42
Glade Riders will make quick work of ratling guns... there's nowhere to hide from them moving 18" and range of 30".

You should really have no problem at all dealing with ratling guns. The scariest part about skaven is when the start casting warp lightning 3+ times per turn. Gotta have dispel scrolls for that.

fearchanges
20-10-2007, 08:12
The problem in borderpatrol was that he's hiding the ratling gun in a forest which gave me an extra -1 penalty for shooting, I didn't have magic to cast tree singing on that forest, so that was't an option either.
His Ratling gun automatticly hits, so negates the -1 for shooting at skirmishers and is a single model, so it's an other -1 to hit for he said.
Is this true?
If I'm going to expand my army, I'm going to need some Glade Riders I think.
thx for the advice anyways.

Kal Taron
20-10-2007, 12:15
I believe Ratlings have US2 so the -1 to hit would not apply.

Col. Dash
20-10-2007, 20:29
Dont they have very short range and a high propensity to blow themselves up? You have a 30 inch range, use it.

fearchanges
20-10-2007, 20:45
Good points here, thx for the tips for that.
An other was that his Jezzails rip through anything I throw at him and shooting back at them with my glade guards is useless, because of their 4+ save against shooting. I guess, i've got to get some glade riders to counter them:eyebrows:

Hvidponi
20-10-2007, 22:16
His Ratling run doesn't roll to hit at all, so he is right... But he only shoots 15", you move-and-shoot without penatly at 30"... And again... 1 wound T3...
Jezzails are evil but got low Ld... Kill just 1 and the rest will run (or 2 if he got more than 4... Doubt that he got more than 8 in border patrol)... Jezzails do got BS3 so they don't hit that often... And remeber they don't have 4+ save versus magic...
Hmm... Never though about the -1 for skirmishing on the Ratlings guns... don't know about the whole US thingy... I am blank...

monstallion
21-10-2007, 08:51
Skaven weapon teams are skirmishers and they get the extra -1 for that so -2 to hit if in a wood :)