PDA

View Full Version : More WElveses

Scanno
13-04-2005, 10:18
Hey, don't shoot me if all this stuff has been said, I couldn't put myself through reading the 100+ posts on the "wood elf rumours?" thread.
Just heard a couple of things from a friend who recently had a studio tour.

The first is that the twins on dragon (rumoured about in the good ol' days, sniff) thing is true. If you kill one not not the other the dead one comes back was the old 'rule'. A new one mentioned to me was that if you kill them both, their dragon dies too. Dunno if it's true or not, but its intruiging, and yer man claims to have seen the model.

The other is that the new War Dancers are awesome. Not one of them has his/her feet on the ground. They've all just got one toe, hand or sword point attaching them to the base. Sounds athletic :)

EffCee
13-04-2005, 11:02
Hmm! does sound good. Let's just hope that they don't suffer from Jain Zar syndrome where to support the weight of the model a hideous strip of metal is used to ensure that the model doesn't break off the tag. Although I imagine that the designers have thought a way around this monstrosity. August (or indeed the next few months as new stuff starts to leak out) can't come quick enough.

adreal
13-04-2005, 12:17
mmm i'm interested in the new wardancer models, cant wait to see them

Scactha
13-04-2005, 12:25
Hey, don't shoot me if all this stuff has been said, I couldn't put myself through reading the 100+ posts on the "wood elf rumours?" thread.
Just heard a couple of things from a friend who recently had a studio tour.It´s all rehash unfortunately. Better post it in the old thread than starting a new one. Nothing annoys more than seeing a bunch of threads with the same topic.

Jedi152
13-04-2005, 14:34
mmm i'm interested in the new wardancer models, cant wait to see them
IIRC, ye noble lorde Inquisitor Engel has seen them. The old Portent was awash with rumours of handstands etc.

I'm really worried about how they'll fair with slotta tags too .... i remember the BB Nobbla Blackwart, prancing on one foot avec chainsaw. Damn thing just wouldn't glue to a slotta for love nor money...

**EDIT** IIRC, studio tours of WW cost like a pound don't they? If you get to see the new WE models, i might go and take a look for myself!

Inquisitor Engel
13-04-2005, 15:04
IIRC, ye noble lorde Inquisitor Engel has seen them. The old Portent was awash with rumours of handstands etc.
Indeed. They are gorgeous minis. Like I said before, Wood Elves are what's going to get me into Fantasy. :D

Stouty
13-04-2005, 18:12
How do you know, its like when halo 2 was 2 months from being out. There were rumours (even bungie supported ones) that there would be transport warthogs aloong with 6 other varients, headsets, Ai that would nick weapons from dead troops, Master Chief would swim.
We got 2 varients on the warthog and the rest were lies.
*bitter glare*

Kul
13-04-2005, 19:26
sounds really cool..
are they gonna be core and/or plasticks?
I've got to choose between 2 armies I could start...
And WE is one of them :D

Slappy
13-04-2005, 22:44
They sound easily breakable. Something I hate worse than anything wih GW minis.

ghost21
13-04-2005, 23:33
i dun like the facemask thing but i think that otherwise looking nice i just hope that they will live up to the time weve had to wait for them

mangustheix
14-04-2005, 05:47
How do you know, its like when halo 2 was 2 months from being out. There were rumours (even bungie supported ones) that there would be transport warthogs aloong with 6 other varients, headsets, Ai that would nick weapons from dead troops, Master Chief would swim.
*bitter glare*

I think he knows because he has seen them.

I hope they are good, I am a bit worried about them looking goofy doing cartwheels and handstands like clowns.

oatish
14-04-2005, 06:39
Man, I am seriously considering playing these new Wood Elevs. If the WarDancers lose the appearance of Poison, I am in.

oatish

Jedi152
14-04-2005, 07:04
sounds really cool..
are they gonna be core and/or plasticks?
I strongly doubt either. They are a special choice in the current WE list, and i think they will be in the new.

And they will almost certainly be metal:- the low units numbers that most people have them in, and the slides from GD would indicate this.

Scanno
14-04-2005, 11:48
As far as I know they're metal.

6th and Final Champion
14-04-2005, 12:41
Never fought against them. Are War Dancers good?

Galonthar
14-04-2005, 17:29
are wardancers good?......

well I supposse I play wrong with my WE,..
but they`re the only unit in my entire army (not that thats sooo much.... :p ) who were able to decently butcher 2 units of bret. knights (light! do I looove KB) :cool:
without enduring terrible casualties

outside of my treemen that is of course... :D

Kul
14-04-2005, 19:07
They are my favorite, but I never won with WE..(haven't played them for a while)
I recently realised this:
you shoot the enemy to pieces, and then clear up the left-overs with wardancers and dryads...and they are good at that ;)

Lord Tyran
17-04-2005, 03:43
The old waywatchers still rate as some of my Fav Minis

User Name
17-04-2005, 04:09
The minis better be good since the delayes were based on the fact that they didnt like the sculpts, but I like what I ahve seen so far, even the half masks.

Galonthar
20-04-2005, 07:51
wel...

yes,.. you are right,.. the minis better be good,....VEEERY good

I wonder how GW will be making those new GL and warhawk riders,...
I hope they forget about those masks there

Forest Lord
28-04-2005, 06:14
On the topic of whether Wardancers are good, I am starting to believe that they are, especially if paired with a nice big block of about 32 glade guard (yes thats right, glade guard 32 of them). Last saturday I played a dwarf army and my glade guard charged his hammerers (which were made stubborn by the presence of his Lord). My 8 wardancers charged in the flank. The first dance I used, i took his rank bonus away, that ticked my opponent off. Long story short, I alternated between between +1S dance and the no rank bonus dance. We started that combat in turn 3 and we were locked in combat the rest of the game. I had 4 wardancers left and about 24 of my glade guard.)

Glade Riders have been bad to me, but my glade guard have done me proud.
(The reason I even used the glade guard was because I accidentally left my horses at home, and my treeman.)

Zeb
28-04-2005, 06:37
And that dance will not be avalible after 30th of July... ;)

BullBuchanan
28-04-2005, 07:23
*bitter glare*

Not top be a painh in the ass but the vehicles are on the cd they were just never finished, thus it cant really be construed as a lie. The Headsets are real I know tons of people who have them, and I believe that your fellow squadmates also pick up weapons from dead troops if they run out of ammo, so 3/4 ain't bad.... But anyway back to the point..

Jester
28-04-2005, 07:30
And that dance will not be avalible after 30th of July...

Neither will be glade guard with spears.

Zeb
28-04-2005, 07:40
Yepp, but there will be Winter Guard instead. Same unit (more or less) but a different name. I'm really looking forward to them... :D

Jester
29-04-2005, 09:40
But not as plastic sprue. Which probably means rather expensive.

Also, another thought: since it is called winter guard, and is alledgedly recruitet to protect the Forest during the cold months when the spirits sleep, you might actually have to chose between either Guard or treemen, dryads and the third group which has not been named yet.

In other words: Winter Guard may only be available to only-elves-and-no-spirits armies.

Avian
29-04-2005, 09:47
Also, another thought: since it is called winter guard
Actually they are called the Eternal Guard...

Xxcha
29-04-2005, 11:25
the third spirit unit are called "Tree-Kin", and are on 40mm bases

75hastings69
29-04-2005, 13:08
Has anyone seen the new Treeman models yet?

A friend of mine has seen the Glade Riders and says that the horses are awesome!

Sir_Glonojad
29-04-2005, 14:02
I've seen the horses on a photo (back of the book was photocopied for Warsaw GD :rolleyes: ), and cannot say I like them a lot. Maybe I'll change my mind when see them live, though.

Malachi
01-05-2005, 18:12
In other words: Winter Guard may only be available to only-elves-and-no-spirits armies.

To my understanding (based on various rumours from these and the original boards) the Eternal Guard will only be restricted in that they are a Special choice normally, but a Core choice when you field a Forest Lord (the Elven variety). This obviously means that while you can still field the Eternal Guard in a forest-spirit heavy army, they are much more accessible for elf centric armies.

Joraal
01-05-2005, 19:58
And that dance will not be avalible after 30th of July... ;)
Except the S+1 dance ...

The other three (new) dances aren't that bad too.

Sir_Glonojad
01-05-2005, 20:14
To my understanding (based on various rumours from these and the original boards) the Eternal Guard will only be restricted in that they are a Special choice normally, but a Core choice when you field a Forest Lord (the Elven variety). This obviously means that while you can still field the Eternal Guard in a forest-spirit heavy army, they are much more accessible for elf centric armies.

Whoa. So we are speaking about a semi-core choice?? I was sure they were going to be a Special/Rare, to mirror Black and Phoenix Guard.
And yet, wifh all their abundance, they are metal, aren't they?

Also, rumour has it that Dryad will, after all, remain skirmishers. True or false?

Xxcha
01-05-2005, 20:45
I think the dryads will need to be rank and file troops now that they are supposedly alot weaker, they will need the combat resolution!

Il Magno
01-05-2005, 20:55
Dryads will remain skirmishers! Belive me ;)
No aspects, S = 3, but ST = 5+; other stat same as today.

Malachi
02-05-2005, 06:09
Whoa. So we are speaking about a semi-core choice?? I was sure they were going to be a Special/Rare, to mirror Black and Phoenix Guard.
And yet, wifh all their abundance, they are metal, aren't they?

Originally I thought the Eternal Guard were going to be a WE version of the Black/Phoenix Guard too, but at the rumoured 12 points a model, and no (as yet) mentioned special rules other than their sword staff/spears, it seems as though they're just going to be our spear-elves. This of course makes sense being that we’ve lost our original Glade Guard.

As for the models, it does seem that they'll be metal despite being a possible Core choice. It's the same with Dryads, originally we thought they'd be plastic after they moved to core, but as the piccy of the metal Dryad champion shows; GW isn't afraid to still make Core choices metal. It also bears mentioning that Dryads will only be Core if your army is led by an Ancient (or whatever they're calling the Treeman Lord choice). So it makes sense that as Dryads are metal, so too will be the Eternal Guard who have the same selection rules.

This raises one obvious question though; which other units are going to be plastic? As everyone knows GW has made it quite public that they want a shift to predominately plastic miniature ranges with all the new armies, and thus far, we've only got one plastic regiment. Granted, it makes both Glade Guard and Scouts, but what of the other units?

Platics:
Glade Guard/ Scouts
Glade Riders? (everyone's saying we've got the new Elven steed, and GW isn't doing mixed metal/plastic regiments anymore)

Metal:
Eternal Guard – unconfirmed but likely
Waywatchers - confirmed
Tree-kin - confirmed
Dryads - confirmed
Treeman – no brainer
Heroes - duh
Great Eagles – doubt they’ll even make new models for these guys, the old ones are fine.

This leaves us with:

Warhawk Riders - when Bretonnians came out, people were saying that GW made them plastic so they could re-use the wings for WE Warhawk Riders, now, to me that seems like a lame reason to make an entire unit plastic, but hey, it's possible.

Wardancers - there are people out there who've claimed to have seen these guys; now's your time to speak up kids. I think they'll probably stay metal in order to make the dynamic/detailed poses they deserve.

Wild Hunt (that new 'hits like heavy cavalry' unit?) - Now, this is a tough one, we know GW's disdain for mixed component regiments, and we've got the new plastic steed, so does that mean they'll make the riders plastic? If they were smart, GW would combine these guys with Glade Guard the same way the Archers and Scouts were done in order to save shelf space. But then they wouldn't be able to charge us stupid amounts for our elite cavalry. Dragon Princes anyone?

Sorry guys, didn’t mean to make an essay out of that, but I’m procrastinating.

Aeris Green Finger
02-05-2005, 06:28
Dryads - confirmed

acctualy at the LA seminar they said that "DRYADS GLADE GUARD AND GLADE RIdERS WILL BE PLASTIC" and it would be a bit late to change teir minds

PS ..... I THINK THAT PICTURE OF "le champion dryad" IS EITHER THE CHAMPION OF THE UNIT( maybe they decided that the champion would be plastic and not the rest( like the shaper in the kroots)) or its the hero or both of the above (the last two i doubt slitly )

Leceaus
02-05-2005, 06:36
Look! Painted Archers and Treekins!
http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=6084

portentjunkie
02-05-2005, 07:39
acctualy at the LA seminar they said that "DRYADS GLADE GUARD AND GLADE RIdERS WILL BE PLASTIC" and it would be a bit late to change teir minds

PS ..... I THINK THAT PICTURE OF "le champion dryad" IS EITHER THE CHAMPION OF THE UNIT( maybe they decided that the champion would be plastic and not the rest( like the shaper in the kroots)) or its the hero or both of the above (the last two i doubt slitly )

The Drayds will be plastic, as confirmed at the L.A. seminar. The metal "dryad champion" model at the french games day is not the dryad unit champion model, but the dryad hero level character, iirc, a level one magic user who uses the wood elve's lore.

Aeris Green Finger
02-05-2005, 07:39
yes yes ive seen it on the official forum

Aeris Green Finger
02-05-2005, 07:41
The Drayds will be plastic, as confirmed at the L.A. seminar. The metal "dryad champion" model at the french games day is not the dryad unit champion model, but the dryad hero level character, iirc, a level one magic user who uses the wood elve's lore.
thanxs dor verafying ;) :D

Narandil
02-05-2005, 07:47
its been confirmed on the rumour roundup that dryads are a boxed set and at a seminar (LA?)

Avian
02-05-2005, 11:32
No, they are more of a mirror of Lizardmen Temple Guard.

Galonthar
02-05-2005, 16:04
seeing all this I`m getting the impression that the WE will become quite different from the other elven races (HE & DE) who`s armies are both built up from (nearly) the same units,...(PG & BG, etc.)

Malachi
02-05-2005, 16:28

Thanks for the clear-up, I must have missed that infor somehow.