PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Claims Another Victim

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-10-2007, 07:56
It's finally happened. After denying that I would ever be one of THOSE guys, I was reading through the Apocalypse rulebook when I finally decided. I know it will take a couple of months worth of saving money, but it's going to happen...

I'm buying an Imperial Titan.

Now the only question left for me is what kind to buy. There are so many to choose from! They all look incredible, but there are too many to choose. Mars Class, Lucius Wolf Class, Lucius Jackal Class. And then there are the weapons. I want to make sure that I get a variant with two good weapons. I'm not going to be able to change them out, and I want to know which ones are the most effective overall. Or, barring that, I imagine I could just say the left arm is such-and-such and the right arm is whatever. So whatever arms look the best would help a lot, too.

If anyone has any experience with these, or simply wants to live vicariously through a fellow gamer by helping me decide, your input would be much appreciated. And please, no "pick which one you like" suggestions. Obviously I'll pick the one that I like, but I want to know which ones are useful in a fight or are the most menacing on the battlefield. Thanks!

P.S. If you choose the Lucius Pattern, please tell me which weapons to go with it. The poor Mars Pattern has no options.

Kveld-Ulf
17-10-2007, 08:02
Granted a Titan is a fearsome opponent to make the most steadfast gamer quail in their pantaloons, they still can be fitted to cover what your army currently doesn't. Each one's different weapons should help support what your army needs more of.

If you could give a list of your current army to look over, or think of what you personally need more of, it shouldn't be too hard of a choice.

Hopefully you find the best one for you.

Ravenous
17-10-2007, 08:05
Just make a Warlord.

and have fun with the 10" vortex grenade template that bounces around :D

Tulun
17-10-2007, 08:06
I'd probably take the Turbo-Laser Destroyer as one of the arms as a default. STR D removes the need for good rolling! :) And it has 2 shots.

For the 2nd gun, it will depend greatly on the desired function of your Titan. I would probably choose the Vulcan Mega-Bolter, simply because the gun has so many ******* shots. Sometimes it's nice not having to worry about scatter.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-10-2007, 08:08
Granted a Titan is a fearsome opponent to make the most steadfast gamer quail in their pantaloons, they still can be fitted to cover what your army currently doesn't. Each one's different weapons should help support what your army needs more of.

If you could give a list of your current army to look over, or think of what you personally need more of, it shouldn't be too hard of a choice.

Hopefully you find the best one for you.

I'd rather base an army off of the Titan, seeing as how expensive and fantastical it is. Plus, I think they're only for Imperial Guard and AdMech, and I only have Space Marines right now. I could tailor my army to do anything, I just want a Titan both as a battlefield heavy-hitter and an amazing model/piece of artwork.

Hulkster
17-10-2007, 08:12
The Mare Class looks better but you cant give it a Turbo Laser Destroyer because they dont allow you to choose your weapons for it.

My fave after that is the Wolf Class, I would Take a TLD and a VMB.

Kveld-Ulf
17-10-2007, 08:14
I'm going to have to look into the rules on each Titan more closely to make an educated decision then haha.

It's common for an army to be based around an epic centerpiece, and you don't get much more epic than a Titan really. Maybe a Gargant made out of one of those large green trash cans. There's a conversion for another day though.

I was pretty sure Space Marines could get a Titan. Maybe I'm just confusing it with Chaos, I know for sure they can.

Thylacine
17-10-2007, 08:49
Don't write the Mars pattern off, I rather like the look and the weapons are two of the best in the game. However, it is doubtful that we will ever see extra weapons made for the Mars pattern (it has a different attachment style) and there has been a hint from FW that they may start selling individual weapons for their Warhounds (about time).

If I had to pick from just the Jackal and Wolf, it would be the Jackal, with the PBG and VMB, and if I had the option of a third weapon it would be a TLD. Thats how I have my two Armorcast Warhounds set up.

OBTW, they caused a ton of damage on the weekend, the large templates and new rules are wicked.

Thylacine.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-10-2007, 18:33
Wow, a lot of votes for the Mars Class. I guess my only question would be are the weapons that it comes with good for most situations? Because there is no choosing what you want. And does anyone out there have any experience putting one together or painting it? I'd love some info on that.

ChaosMaster
18-10-2007, 18:41
I like the Warhound best, especially Chaos, but the Titan with the flame-type cannon on it is terribly effective for games. If this is more of a collector's item then get the one you like best as far as appearance, but if you're heavily concerned with game effectiveness then look at the weapon options before you buy.

A warning to those who have never built a Forge World Titan. When they say the kits are for advanced modelers and collectors they are NOT kidding! I'm most of the way through my Chaos Warhound Titan and I can tell you that it's tested everything I've ever learned about building complicated, fragile kits in order to make them sturdy and structurally durable. If you have little to no experience with cutting, converting, custom fitting and especially pinning large models then steer clear of Titans and buy less complicated kits. They are gorgeous models that are loads of fun to paint and see on the game table, but they are not for the timid or beginner modelers. Beware!

Cry of the Wind
18-10-2007, 19:13
I'm on the fence right now about buying a Titan myself. I'd be going for the Mars pattern simply because it looks more 40k than the Lucius, that is to say the Lucius looks a little too techy and not ornate enough for the 40k universe (at least in the Imperium). As for weapons, well all the Titan weapons are really powerful but I find the look of the Plasma Blastgun and Vulcan Mega Bolter make up for any lack of D strenght or something similar. With a model that expensive I'm going looks over effectiveness 100% (not that a giant towering battle walker isn't going to be effective no matter what gun you put on it...).

Stella Cadente
18-10-2007, 19:20
Jackal class, no question, and 2 Vulcan mega bolters, hehehehe, bye bye infantry

Ozendorph
18-10-2007, 19:20
Mars pattern. The vulcan/plasma combo is vicious and should instill fear in any unit.

Mojaco
18-10-2007, 19:23
Lucius. I prefer the angled look as it seems more industrial. But the mars is delicious aswel.

Shield of Freedom
18-10-2007, 19:33
I prefer the Wolf class. The angled look fits into the Imperial look of all of their vehicles more so than the Mars pattern, IMO.

As for weapon loadout, I recommend to everyone (and it may not be to everyone's taste or style) to NOT go without the Turbo Laser Destroyer as your first choice. After that feel free to put on whatever you want, although I would recommend a more ant-infantry choice as the second one. The Vulcan Mega Bolter is pretty straight forward, The Plasma Blast Gun is good at killing infantry but can also back up the Turbo Lasers for anti-armor, and the Inferno weapon (Titan Flamer basically) just looks like it would be fun to use. So.... choice is yours really, but again, I highly recomend you at least take the Turbo Laser Destroyer.

Mojaco
18-10-2007, 19:35
True, it's the best weapon. Basicly a guaranteed vehicle kill each turn. But with Apoc it's looks over function, so pick whatever looks nice. All its weapon options are extremely lethal, so there's no bad choices here.

floyd pinkerton
18-10-2007, 20:24
I'd suggest the mars alpha pattern for looks, and TLD with either PBG or VMB on the other arm

inquisitor solarris
18-10-2007, 20:32
i'm hoping to gain a lucious pattern with plasma decructor and turbo lasers just so that whatever i'm getting i know it'll leave craters

Shield of Freedom
18-10-2007, 22:03
But with Apoc it's looks over function, so pick whatever looks nice. All its weapon options are extremely lethal, so there's no bad choices here.

You know what, I think that's a better answer than my previous post, he's absolutely right. The whole thing about Apoc is that it's meant for fun and not competition.

Go with what you think looks cool, don't even look at the rules. Then, when you've decided which weapons you'll purchase, look it up to see what they do. :)