PDA

View Full Version : I have a dream...

Anonomatos
13-04-2005, 11:51
I've been pondering about something for quite a while and last weekend I found out that a friend of mine is basically on the same frequence... which is always nice.

Anyways... I know quite a bunch of creative people (musicians, painters, fire-performers, etc) and my 'dream' would be to rent/buy/steal a large hangar or shed or empty factory to have a place to gather together with all the creative peepz and do our things.

So the idea is clear... but I have seriously NO IDEA where to begin with. Any of you have tips or hint or experiences considering the above?

Delicious Soy
13-04-2005, 12:02
Does it neccessarily need to be enclosed? In Australia usually you can find a nice piece of bushland or a paddock away from people. And you don't need to pay for it.

Wolflord Bloodangel
13-04-2005, 12:07
Where to begin: plan ahead. Start researching how much it costs to rent/buy such a venue. Consider how youre gonna fund it, whether therell be a paid membership... think about EVERYTHING that could go wrong, youll need the place ensured, both for property and for personal injury, as you dont want to be sued if one of the fire-performers catches on fire and ends up in hospital. Also think of costs for lighting, electrical wiring, sound system, waterproofing, furnishing.... also consider the need for carparking and such.... etc etc

Its a great idea, but many great ideas get nowhere because they were ill conceived, or jsut poorly managed, so the best place to start is with a good plan.

Anonomatos
13-04-2005, 12:31
It HAS to be enclosed. There needs to be cover for paintings and technical equipment :)

And where do I begin researching to rent/buy such a place? I'm basically clueless. A normal real-estate thingie only does houses and offices, not empty factory buildings or something like that.

I don't want to squat it because we might get kicked out without a notice :rolleyes:

Wolflord Bloodangel
13-04-2005, 13:21
First start would be your local council... ask them the same thing your asking us 'where do I start, can you help me?'

Theres also a chance you can get government funding/grants due to the artistic nature of the venture...

Oh, and I repeat, make very sure you get insurance, or else things could get very messy... and these days insurance aint cheap... again possibly start by asking the council/local govt about that...

Possibly also see if youve got a local arts council / any arts clubs in the area and try to work with them too.

Anonomatos
13-04-2005, 14:47
Thanks man, 'preciate it! I'll give an update if I finally come to point of asking around...

alterion
13-04-2005, 16:40
be aware though the cost will be huge.. our curch is just relocating to a warehouse and in total the cost is over 3million or $5.5million dollars.... obviuosly the cost wil be lower than this but you are probably loking at a million quid in the UK.. and from the little geography i have done i uindersand that land is quite in demand in holland too soo....

x-esiv-4c
13-04-2005, 17:12
move out to wyoming. Land is cheap.

Kargos Bloodspit
13-04-2005, 17:18
in britain (where i am (scotland to be precise)), do farmers not occasionally sell of barns. Some people buy them cheap and convert them into houses. Couldn't you go looking for a localish farm and see if they have any intentions of selling off a barn. If so, see if you can get it bought (along with some friends (you say a friend has the same idea, so perhaps if you all team up and gather funds together)) with its associated land.

m1s1n
13-04-2005, 17:59
If the area is enclosed you will get awful acoustics because of the open area and the sidings. Just be aware that a lot of music will sound really poor in this area unless it has been prepared and balanced for the type of sound you are getting. Echoes are one of the hardest things to compensate for without some type of supressant.

I think it's a really good idea. One of my friends in Santa Cruz tried to do something similar on a smaller scale. Every Sunday he would go to the same park with a large amount of "creative" stuff and always be at the same spot. Friends and passerbys would start joining in just because the "creative energy" was in the air. It was pretty cool.

Wolflord Bloodangel
14-04-2005, 02:15
Acousitcs can be somewhat improved simply by adding a lot of furnishings, wall hangings, artworks and banners etc. hanging from the ceiling.

Anonomatos
17-04-2005, 10:31
Mhhhh.. an old barn could be an option too. Me and my buddy will be going to city-counsils and other thingies to see what the possibilities are in a week or two (we both take a day off :) )... I'm pretty curious what the possibilities are here in holland!