View Full Version : Thunderhawk alternatives...

18-10-2007, 17:46
I'd really like to field a Thunderhawk for Apocalypse.

I'd really like to not sped $650+ though.

I checked on ebay and there is only one old metal one that's been heavily modified.

Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives? Because ultimately it just isn't worth that much money, period.

18-10-2007, 17:47
Scratchbuild. It's a boxy model to begin with, so should be easy enough to get the main shape.

Brother Loki
18-10-2007, 18:13
It's the sort of shape that should be relatively straightforward to build largely out of foamcore artboard, I should think. If I ever move to somewhere with enough storage space, that's what I'll do.

18-10-2007, 18:22
The Legos Forgeworld is known to make a Thunderhawk for the budget-conscious Chapter Master.

18-10-2007, 18:44
Exactly Ozendorph.

My Thunderhawk proxy is the Lego Star Wars: Republic Gunship. (link for picture- not price...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGO-STAR-WARS-REPUBLIC-GUNSHIP-7163-NIB_W0QQitemZ190163410050QQihZ009QQcategoryZ19009Q QcmdZViewItem

Of course - you are going to have to work a bit to find a cheap one nowadays.

I also have a GI Joe Dragonhawk that i am using for a Thunderhawk transporter.

You can easily park a Land Raider between the skids.

I find cruising the toy aisle occasionally gives me a good source of stuff for 40k.

18-10-2007, 18:51
I also have a GI Joe Dragonhawk that i am using for a Thunderhawk transporter.

My youngest son just got one of those on sale for $20 and that was my first thought when I saw it out of the box. It really does look the part and is easy to move (built in handle in the back).

Negotiations are underway with the seven year old to allow me to use it in one of Daddy's games... :D

Captain Micha
18-10-2007, 19:47
that is the most awesome vulture ever hehe

18-10-2007, 20:08
Right well what you need is the following:

40thousand thick Plasticard sheets x 5 or so
12" of 40mm waste pipe (for the engine housings that sit between the body and the wings) ;)
A few bits of sprue for the leg struts
Some green stuff for the front "rims" of the engine cowlings to make them rounded.
Some Heavy bolters from the predator and razorback metal kits and a couple of metal lascannons from the predator as well.
Some metal wire - for making hinges for the front and back doors on the loading bay at the front.

Job done.

This is what I used to make my Thawk, although I haven't finished detailing it yet it looks like a good version of the real thing, albeit not so well detailed and I possibly got the wingspan slightly wrong - 18" wingtip to wingtip is a bit long isn't it.