PDA

View Full Version : When in doubt, pile on the spore mines...

graveaccomplice
18-10-2007, 18:32
Apocalypse came out at the worst time for me. I have a 1,500 point army of nids, and my current eldar project is stalled due to financial problems.

However, sporemines clusters can be represented as paper triangels, and those is cheap! :D

I'm not expecting any kind of win with 1,500 pts of sporemines, but can any of you all give pointers for making the game enjoyable for both sides?

Chaos and Evil
18-10-2007, 19:13
I'm not expecting any kind of win with 1,500 pts of sporemines, but can any of you all give pointers for making the game enjoyable for both sides?

How about a bit of don't take 1500pts of spore mines.

That's like turning up to a game with no models and saying 'yeah, I spent all my points on orbital bombardments'.

Visionary
18-10-2007, 20:04
Sounds like a very fluffy and sound idea :D. I in fact came up with the same idea a few weeks ago, imagine the drifting!

GodHead
18-10-2007, 20:07
The point of Apocalypse is to play with everything you have. Not to make little paper pieces of crap and clutter the board with them.

I'd tell you to get lost if you wanted to play like that.

Arhalien
18-10-2007, 20:09
Just ally with a friend (or more than one) who has enough points to take your combined armies above 3000pts. No need for confusing bits of paper that fly away in a draft that way ;)

Cry of the Wind
18-10-2007, 21:34
I don't think it would be enjoyable for either of you. The 'drifting phase' will waste a lot of time and the fact that what few troops you'll have on the table will be removed in short order makes this as fun as playing the starter missions in the BFM starter set...

I'd suggest finding some more people to ally with or just hold off on the Apoc thing until you get there.

floyd pinkerton
18-10-2007, 21:38
yup, silly idea.

Though if you bought the models....:D

Phenski
18-10-2007, 21:53
ive thought about using a healthy amount of spore mine clusters in appoc (along with 3 or more lictors), but 1500 pts worth is just annoying. just save up mate, appoc is going to be around for a long time... christmas is just around the corner!!

phen

graveaccomplice
19-10-2007, 10:26
SO what if said triangles were made from plastic card stock?

sebster
19-10-2007, 11:11
Then you'd have slightly more solid triangles that don't look anything like spore mines taking a huge amount of time to move randomly.

The idea with Apocalypse is to build a spectacular looking board. Having piles of triangles really doesn't help that idea.

WarpWhisperer
19-10-2007, 11:28
Why not go half way, and do someting like put a large cluster of large headed pins, or BB pellets on paper clips wires, onto a largish base (40mm) and give them a quick splash of paint; you could say that they were large swarms of smaller spore mines that have the same effect as small groups of bigger ones....

Something like the attached pic:

Put in a bit of effort, and you should get a better response to your idea from prospective opponents. However, the main people you should be asking are the people you would normally play Apoc against - at the end of the day they have the final say on this, really....

Brother Loki
19-10-2007, 11:49
Nice idea Warpwhisperer.

I actually quite like the concept of a massive spore mine bombardment. It really fits the fluff. I agree it might be very boring in practice though. Something for a special scenario, or a formation datasheet perhaps?

graveaccomplice
19-10-2007, 12:32
Nice idea Warpwhisperer.

I actually quite like the concept of a massive spore mine bombardment. It really fits the fluff. I agree it might be very boring in practice though. Something for a special scenario, or a formation datasheet perhaps?

With them using deepstrike to target enemy units, I wonder how many will be left to deal with after?

WarpWhisperer
20-10-2007, 11:52
Nice idea Warpwhisperer.

Thanx :D

Something for a special scenario, or a formation datasheet perhaps?

With them using deepstrike to target enemy units, I wonder how many will be left to deal with after?

Maybe there's your answer; you pay for x amount of spore mine clusters and must deep strike them all onto specific targets. If they hit, then they don't need markers. With those that don't, they will drift, but you only have a limited number of markers, say about 12 for ease of those random movement rolls. After all these twelve have been placed on the table, you can't place any more spore mines clusters that are not on target.

However, say you could have another go on your next turn with all those that 'missed' their targets to deep strike again, and if any of your markers had been destroyed in your opponents turn you could replace them with new off-target strikes, until you reach your maximum again. And so on throughout the game until all your bought clusters have either been on target or are/have been represented by one of your limited number of markers.

Does that make sense? It should mean that you don't have too many clusters to move around on the table without losing out on points value, and you should really get the feeling of a blanket bombardmnet by the Nids; I get the feeling it would have a great claustrophobic feel to it.....

Hellebore
20-10-2007, 12:48
Maybe you need to deepstrike spore mines one at a time against a unit until you get at least one hit per model in the unit, and then move onto the next unit etc.

Hellebore

The Judge
20-10-2007, 12:52
Just buy a Hierophant... that's like, 2000pts or something stupid.

I think the expense is preferable to the... ignominy of deploying and using 1500pts of bcard spore mines.

graveaccomplice
20-10-2007, 13:00
The expense isn't preferable if you can't afford it. I'm looking at getting one eldar jetbike a week for the next ten weeks as it is. Just to finish my current project...

Grazzy
20-10-2007, 13:07
Team up with another player. There is no point in having fluff that allows you to take loads of clusters, it will still be a boring army for your opponent.

Vet.Sister
20-10-2007, 13:34
Here's another idea, make a formation! For xxx Points + Spore Mines, you could have a preliminary bombardment with a limit of 5 shots against any unit. 1 shot uses 1 spore mine (whether it hits or not!) The rest of the mines (upto 50) can be placed as a deep strike unit. Place first mine, then deviate it. Place the other 49 mines within 18" of the first using 4" coherency. The unit of spore mines would drift in the same direction (1 roll for all of them!) to save time and sanity. So if you pay for enough mines;

A) you get 5 shots against every enemy unit that you can assign 5 mines against
B) however many mines you have left after bombardment immediatly deep strike to form "Mycetic Mine Field" (upto 50 mines of the same type).
C) the Mycetic Mine Field stays together thus denying youropponent part of the board.

Thoughts?

NotMyIfurita
20-10-2007, 13:48
@Vet.Sister - I like it! Easier to use, and quite a frightening prospect, to have a quarter of the board blanketed with mines. Nasty way for Nids to say, ' That objective is mine!'

Gaebriel
20-10-2007, 16:58
... That's like turning up to a game with no models and saying 'yeah, I spent all my points on orbital bombardments'.
Awesome! If that is within the rules, I'm back in business :D

ETJ
20-10-2007, 17:31
You're looking at about 50 units of sporemines there.

And they should be Regular round bases, not triangles.

Might i suggest two different sides, so you can turn them over when you're finished moving, so you don't get confused?

might also want to add some rules about being able to target all spore mine clusters within x" of one of the clusters.

this does sound strangely fun.

PLEASE let me know how this goes. I doubt I'd take that many, but 10+ units of sporemines is a rather fun fluff idea for my vanguard swarm.

also, take careful planning strategic asset (i think it's that one) so that half the mines appear on the first turn. as that's especially fluffy.