PDA

View Full Version : Official November 2007 White Dwarf (USA 334, UK 335 etc) Feedback Thread

Wintermute
18-10-2007, 19:53
Its time for yet another White Dwarf Feedback thread, this time for the November 2007 issue (US 334, UK 335 etc).

If any of you wish to make more general comments about WD, please will you make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

I would like to make a couple of other requests. If you post the score you have given to the current WD on the thread, would you please explain why especially if you have voted 1 or 10. I think this is useful (and interesting) for other WarSeer members reading the thread, it also provides useful feedback for others who read the thread which may include GW Staffers.

The other request is related to the previous one. Do not criticise people for posting their score and views about WD, I believe we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the the fear of them being criticised.

As always, all off-topic posts and spam will be deleted without notice.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

suprememidgetoverlord
18-10-2007, 20:38
Had a peek this afternoon @ the store.

High elves, for shure, shiny and new models with a breakdown of the sprues for wizard and prince (both box sets)

3000 pts battle report (not telling you who wins!) New this issue, Grombindal shows up now to add flavor text (like: these pesky orcs made this kinda mistake with their artillery... not a big fan of the character already, and this will definatly not change my view of him)

They also include a couple of different examples of types of lists to be done (dragon heavy, white lions oriented, and a 3rd one cant remember)

A couple of pages explaining how to run a campain for 40k with both apocalypse and cities of death! don't know wich one takes precedent, assets or stratagems, but this is only part 1 of 2. And this one has a force of chaos attacking imperial forces (again) with all of the objectives being in the imperial deployment zone! Looks cool, plus had the defense laser dfatasheet included. Seemed short, only a couple of pages, but if done properly could be very complete as this is not a battle report.

An assembly guide to the all mighty baneblade (maybe last month would have been more appropriate, but guess they want to remind you that it's still available! What? you mean you didnt buy at least 2? )

I'll still end up buying it when it comes out, if only for the campain ideas for 40k. Seems there are a bit more articles than last month (hope I wont have to download missing articles from the canadian website this month, seriously, I honestly think no one proof reads these!)

RavenMorpheus
18-10-2007, 20:57
Had a peek this afternoon @ the store.

High elves, for shure, shiny and new models with a breakdown of the sprues for wizard and prince (both box sets)

3000 pts battle report (not telling you who wins!) New this issue, Grombindal shows up now to add flavor text (like: these pesky orcs made this kinda mistake with their artillery... not a big fan of the character already, and this will definatly not change my view of him)

They also include a couple of different examples of types of lists to be done (dragon heavy, white lions oriented, and a 3rd one cant remember)

A couple of pages explaining how to run a campain for 40k with both apocalypse and cities of death! don't know wich one takes precedent, assets or stratagems, but this is only part 1 of 2. And this one has a force of chaos attacking imperial forces (again) with all of the objectives being in the imperial deployment zone! Looks cool, plus had the defense laser dfatasheet included. Seemed short, only a couple of pages, but if done properly could be very complete as this is not a battle report.

An assembly guide to the all mighty baneblade (maybe last month would have been more appropriate, but guess they want to remind you that it's still available! What? you mean you didnt buy at least 2? )

I'll still end up buying it when it comes out, if only for the campain ideas for 40k. Seems there are a bit more articles than last month (hope I wont have to download missing articles from the canadian website this month, seriously, I honestly think no one proof reads these!)

OMG some useful articles then, the bit about Grombindal pointing out the mistakes and such is welcome imo - adds a bit more to the batreps other than just being there to showcase the lastest models.

TwilightOdyssey
18-10-2007, 21:20
The Baneblade assembly article is a scratch builder's DREAM. And it will also be useful to those people who are assembling the GW version, as well. :)

Karnage
18-10-2007, 21:48
Yeah, the Baneblade article was great, wish I had it when I was putting mine together. :(

Also, did anyone else notice the mistake on the first section of the High Elf Prince Masterclass? Or was it just my copy? :D

jb85
18-10-2007, 22:25
Also, did anyone else notice the mistake on the first section of the High Elf Prince Masterclass? Or was it just my copy? :D

Don't worry you're not the only one, maybe they want to help us improve our language skills :D

flakjacket
19-10-2007, 17:31
this issue is ok i suppose, i'm not thrilled by any means. But it arrived a day early, hence the generous 6

Lord Damocles
19-10-2007, 17:44
Quote of the month:
'The new model saw is thin and sharp'. No s**t Sherlock!

I gave it a 2 - on reflection I may have been a bit generous.

High elves, high elves, bits of high elves, how to paint high elves, high elf armies, how to run a campaign, Lord of the (yawn) rings, high elves battle report, high elves.

P.S. the new Autarch is 15.00!?!

:mad::confused::wtf:

carlospictor
19-10-2007, 19:01
A 5 from me. I've been buying White Dwarf on and off since issue 99, and it has really peaked and troughed in quality at various points. Between issue 316 and 334, it was beginning to get better, but I think that last months Apocalypse special and this one (with the glaring language errors in the Masterclass) are just, well, lazy.

GW have every right to publish what they want, as they want it, but personally, I'd rather go back to the old days of xx pages of 3rd party ads if it meant they could afford to pay for some real editorial content. And while we're at it, have an editors intro written by a human!!:mad: We may play with toy soldiers, but with the exception of Ronnie Corbett and Al Pacino (Limpy has cancer, waaah), I don't think any of us believe in dwarves...

And is it just me or does Jervis Johnson get 3 sides each month just to explain one sentence in 20 different ways (this month: see, we made an army list that suits the army)?

JT-Y
19-10-2007, 20:11
My page 95 is in Spanish to (UK WD) :wtf:

Only bit that stuck in my mind...

Finn Sourscowl
19-10-2007, 20:14
Will have to finish reading it before giving a score, but initial impressions are that it's a bit better than last month... which is good! They seem to have gone back to the idea of really PUSHING the new thing. This isn't quite so bad this month, since all the articles are relatively interesting and informative... at least to some degree!

Will post a more thorough review when I've read it/have time.

Kroot Lord
19-10-2007, 21:04
I gave it a one but it was meant to be atwo.

The LotR section I missed a couple times before finding, and god, did that suck. 2 minutes on TLA/the palantir/hell even Warseer and I would have found the same information, except indept and from dozens of different people.

HE this, HE that, HE there, HE beautifully there, this that everywhere, and all the articles weren't even read through worthy- just a skim.

40K was not very good, but better then some issues.

The "other" stuff was pathetic. OMGOMGOMG ALL MY SOOPER DOOPER STORES AT MY FINGER TIPS! AND A FREE GIFT IDEA GUIDE!!!!1111!!!!oneoneone!!!! OMGZ!

Voltaire
19-10-2007, 22:22
This issue deserves a very solid 7 and perhaps a low 8 when compared to the more recent issues of White Dwarf.

First and foremost, I may be jumping the gun a bit, but I noticed the words in this issue were actually smaller than last time. This came as a surprise when I managed to notice this difference.

The Baneblade article was good, informative and reminded me of the article when the Land Raider first came out. It was certainly an asset of the magazine despite being another apocalypse advert. This certainly proves that subtlety is a good thing when it comes to adverts though, as I did want to buy a Baneblade after merely skimming the article.

The campaign looked interesting for Apocalypse and the two armies showcased in the picture of the battlefield looked like a normal gamer would be able to field them without needing to acquire a new mortgage.

The Lord of the Rings section of the magazine almost seemed like a token gesture in this magazine which was nice. The plugging of the new tools kit (moderately useful to those of us without a tool kit already) probably took some of the space LoTR would have needed to fill. Still, it was nice to read an article which echoed my own on big monsters in the Watchman (shameless plug).

The High Elves section of the magazine was odd. I have been waiting for a decent sized WFB section for so long, now that it has arrived I wonder what I was waiting for. I didn't enjoy the articles any more or less than the LotR or 40k ones which usually take the slots of the new releases or painting tutorials. The battle report was nice but the choices were a bit questionable as always. Grombrindals contribution to the Battle Report echoes those I would make to future Watchman issues and brought their greater significance in the grand scheme to the fore. This is a good thing.

The painting article was helpful as I have needed a decent scheme for painting blue cloaks for a while and wondered on the mixture that was used on the High Elves.

The blip with the spanish is an error that probably won't come directly down to GW but more their publisher and without it, this issue would have been a nice 8 instead of a solid 7.

Here's to improvements though, and I am looking forward to the next battle report. Apocalypse seems to have a grand tension in White Dwarf that I deliciously expect from my own games in the next few weeks.

- V

Lavadude360
20-10-2007, 13:07
Well at least this one was on time. Maybe making up for last month's fiasco.

BB guide didn't really seen to serve much purpose other thank admitting that their instructions are rubbish and to advertise.

Still better than nothing I suppose.

6/10

the anti santa
20-10-2007, 18:22
I gave it a 5.

Some decent articles, the stuff about how they designed the new HE was interesting if a little light on content. The battle report was better than others though turn 3 was a bit of a mess.

I liked how they were putting a bit more in for us experienced gamers, the apoc/cityfight campaign has some good ideas and I look forward to reading part 2. Also the Baneblade assembly and HE hero painting guide were useful and provided a little inspiration.

I like LOTR but have to say they are rather running out of ideas for it.

Overall, an ok issue but still seems a bit light on content from what I remember, I've got every issues from 130 onwards but don't know if i'll renew my subsrciption when it finally runs out.

Crube
20-10-2007, 20:16
Some decent stuff - I enjoyed the battle report and the HE stuff, the Baneblade article was actually interesting too.

I'm glad that Painting masterclasses seem to have returned permanently. I always find something useful in them, even if I'm not bothered by hte specific mini they're painting. But to have a page in the UK WD printed in Spanish is terrible.

It may be just a mistake by a printer or publisher, but it reflects on GW. It just looks amateurish, and very, very silly...

It would have been a solid 8, but it drops to a low 7 for me this issue

fwacho
21-10-2007, 05:25
Got the issue in teh mail today. It was a bit shorter read than I expected.

The good:
1. Standard bearer article was great. sounded like he even reads this board.
2. Golden demon pics were good. I like the fact that they displayed them with minimum white space. kudos to the layout artist! Any chance we can get a story on those guys who did the primarchs?
3. armegedon scenario.

the okay:
1. Monsters of middle earth. kinda of.. can't really find the words... felt like they were stating the obvious even though I don't play the game.
2. The High Elf notes. (the standard bearer article was closer to what these should be) these were almost in the good column. they defeinitely were NOT bad. They really almost have to meld with the standard bearer article to feel complete. Did a reasonable job of expalining "why" choices were made. This is a step up. not the stuff of old, but certainly a move in the right direction.
3. The battle report. Bringing back the scale map really helped where the words lost me. wouldn't mind seeing a kill counter or perhaps the actual combat resolution score in the future. (would help me plan an army) shame the ork artillery never did much. In retrospect it appear the orks maybe a bit of a mismatch against the HE. or maybe it was just the list. There were a lot of units to keep track of, but the map helped a lot. I do feel liek I am slowly learning WHFB.

The bad:
1: How to assemble the bane blade. yes it clear and percice. maybe I'm smarter than the average guy, but there seemed a lot of... duh. Better would be showing us how to assemble it in three parts for ease of transportation. (I've heard of this being done).
2: Tool kit... sorry guys... blatant advertisement.

Unrated:
1. Ork preview. 2 pages.. we appreciate the nice look at trukk.
2. Painting a Highelf masterclass. I won't rate this. It needs to be there for new people. keep putting them in and working through the color wheel.
3. Highelf painting guide basic. needs to be there.

darren redstar
21-10-2007, 15:20
2 might have been more if it wasn't for the inclusion of the Italian masterclass

andyfair
22-10-2007, 09:50
I am surprised more people are not complaining about what appears to be the new reduced size for White Dwarf. 8 pages appear to have been permanently cut with the last 2 'standard' issues at 122 pages.

Osbad
22-10-2007, 10:33
Standard bearer article was great. sounded like he even reads this board.

Oh, he reads this board alright!

GW say "officially" that "teh internetz is teh whinge", but in reality they are glued to our every word...

Osbad
22-10-2007, 10:36
I am surprised more people are not complaining about what appears to be the new reduced size for White Dwarf. 8 pages appear to have been permanently cut with the last 2 'standard' issues at 122 pages.

To be honest *ahem* "size is not important". If all they've done is axe 8 pages of boring adverts then who cares?

All we are wanting is the return of the occasional article that is worth reading. just the odd one, every now and again..... Not much to ask is it?

Wildkard
22-10-2007, 18:12
I gave it an 8. (Would have been a 7, but the blatant italian masterclass error made me laugh and so got an extra point!)

Good read, some nice pics of the new high elves, and a good looking 40K campaign showing how versitile apocalypse can be.

Patriarch
22-10-2007, 18:32
Gave it a six. I liked the HE stuff, as I collected an army but never played WFB. Dunno if it's just my imagination, but there seemed to be less repeats of the same stuff over and over. Of course I could becoming immune to the the way WD has gone.

The HE/Orcs batrep was pretty good I thought.

The WH40K apocalypse campaign was OK too. Not too much LOTR, which is fine with me.

Oh yeah, now I know "scudo" is Italian for "shield". See, WD can be educational too! I'm surprised the paint colourrs aren't translated as well though...

andyfair
23-10-2007, 08:51
To be honest *ahem* "size is not important". If all they've done is axe 8 pages of boring adverts then who cares?

But they haven't. As much as I enjoy the pictures of new models, you can flick through almost 25% of the magazine now until you reach any content.

blongbling
23-10-2007, 09:00
actually it was italian, not spanish (for all you language challenged types :))

Osbad
24-10-2007, 16:08
Got mine in the post yesterday so I've now voted - gave it a "generous" 4. Pretty pants. Mainly because I find High Elves boring and there was nothing much else of interest other than more pimping of Apocalypse (yawn).

Its beginning to feel like these days WD is produced by a cookie cutter...

Isambard
25-10-2007, 15:03
I thought it was Italian as well, though to be honest I am not as much a language expert (I can tell Finnish from Swedish though :))

Were all the page 95s wrong?

Major King
26-10-2007, 13:48
I rated this issue a 2, which is based on the fact that there is no balance of articles in this magazine. Apocalypse is the biggest release for the year, and 40K gets about 4 pages and not even anything greatly exciting.
There were, once again, way too many pictures of advertisments, not even enough of an appetiser for the Ork release. Cool new tools being released, you don't need 5 pages to tell us about them really.
Painting articles and modelling articles remain good and useful though, even to me as a player of 11 years i find them handy to go back too, i will change my opinion to a 4. Nothing made me get excited this time around. No exciting xmas ideas either.
Well, im hoping things get better.

Some background would be nice, some new rule ideas, gaming ideas... things got a better for a while, but now its gone down... I'll still buy out of loyalty and hope though....

Finn Sourscowl
28-10-2007, 14:39
I voted a 7, but I think 6.5 is more accurate and since last time that was the case I voted 6, this time I voted 7 :D. Not too bad... a little light on content maybe, but what was there was enjoyable enough to read. The Battle report was particularly enjoyable and the baneblade article not bad. The designers notes were, as always, a little meh. Oh well, I guess we just have to get used to rubbish designer notes, since the last good ones I can remember were for Ogre Kingdoms 2 years ago!

I was always going to enjoy this one more than the previous, since I have a brother who's been playing HE since 4th ed, so I it's nice to have a vague idea about what I'll be fighting come Christmas, once he's got the new book!

The painting workshop is always welcome, even the comic Italian-page insert!

I do now look foward again to reading WD. Not quite like when I was younger, but much more so than I did this time last year!

Crazy Harborc
29-10-2007, 01:09
I voted a 9. This issue has articles I have and will be reading. Most of the issues have had enjoyable photos. This one has photos AND articles.:D

muppet515
29-10-2007, 14:59
I voted 2, this is the first time I've voted and the first time I've not felt like I got my moneys worth! ( I got the 2 year sub during the s0th birthday offer so around 1.80 an issue! )
Instructions on how to put together a tank that you'll only need if you buy the tank.......that comes with instructions.
Not the most interesting or detailed battle report.
Too much LOTR ( always too much IMHO )
Too much advertising

Dayhan
29-10-2007, 14:59
I just finished reading this and really the only 3 things that stick I'm my head is

1) Yet another battle report where the new army wining was in no dout or surprise. I have to wonder if the new army did loose, would they redo the battle report until they won.

2) Swordmaster are as nasty and hard as I believed they would be.

3) Is it worth LOTR player buying WD any more. They must be feeling really shafted by now.

I was going to write a long piece about this issue but to tell the truth. I can't be asked as it wont make a ban bit of difference. If my views and yours did, then WD would of improved and not got worse. I got more enjoyable things to do, like cut my toe nails.

These are the reason I gave it a 5 and mainly because it at least had some WH in it this month.

dancingmonkey
29-10-2007, 15:09
I voted 5.
Not too shabby an issue, but still lacking in the content.
The new HE are not too shabby.The articles are fairly enlightening.

THe batt rep was a big downer though! I kinda missed the bulk of the "action". Didn't even notice the Shadow Warriors got killed till I saw they were greyed out in the unit list. I used to love batt reps, despite the obvious bias. Now they are not worth reading. A good rep should tell a story, (see issue 188 epic orks vs imperial, it rocks!) this one was a yawn fest.

Please stop pretendinmg the WD is a real person. It makes the mag faceless and childish. The eds letter is important to set the tone of the mag. The current batch have been really stupid.

Ach, now I guess I shouldn't have given it a five.

ChaosMaster
29-10-2007, 16:02
Overall it's a good issue, although much of it was not of immediate interest to me this month. I had already assembled at least one of my Baneblades before receiving the issue, but I still glanced at the article on that topic to see how my methods compared to the GW builders. Since I gave my High Elf army away to my son earlier this year because I knew I was never going to get around to painting it, the High Elf material wasn't of great interest to me, but I still glanced at it and my son enjoyed it. The Apocalypse campaign article, though brief, was very interesting.

Lord Damocles
29-10-2007, 22:51
From what some people have said about the 'Build a Baneblade' 'article'; am I right in thinking that the baneblade (the huge, 60, GW must have model of the year) doesn't come with instructions:confused:. Does GW really think that they can boost White Dwarf sales by putting instruction booklets in it rather than in box sets?!? Whats next, 'How to build your Predator':wtf:.

ChaosMaster
30-10-2007, 06:31
From what some people have said about the 'Build a Baneblade' 'article'; am I right in thinking that the baneblade (the huge, 60, GW must have model of the year) doesn't come with instructions:confused:. Does GW really think that they can boost White Dwarf sales by putting instruction booklets in it rather than in box sets?!? Whats next, 'How to build your Predator':wtf:.
Wow, that's a cynical post. No, of course the Baneblade comes with instructions, it's got more than 200 parts. But it's the usual "universal" instructions using pictures and no text, so there are lots of little things to know about it that are helpful that are not covered in the instructions. I figured them out on my own by going slow and test fitting and carefully examining each part before using any glue, but it can save you a lot of time if someone fills you in on these little things and the article in White Dwarf is helpful although certainly not required.

Actually, there are a couple things I discovered when building it that are not necessarily covered by the article or the instructions and I'll share them here for those who are interested.

First, the fuel tanks that go on the back have skulls on them but are otherwise identical, so if you're not careful you could accidentally glue them with the skulls upside down, so check this before gluing.

Second, the spindle inside the sponsons is shown straight on rather than in profile in the instructions, so it's impossible to tell which way is up or down. When you fit the hydraulics with the heavy bolters or heavy flamers, the hydraulic ram on the spindle should point toward the back or inside of the sponson with the triangular ram assembly toward the down side, similar to the spindle that holds the lascannons on Land Raider sponsons. However, if you mess this up it will make little difference since it's inside the sponson and not really visible.

Third, the little hoses that run from the gas tanks to the engine have a gothic-arched plate on one side that fits into the plate that holds the gas tanks. That plate fits over the vehicle's tracks near the rear. There's a slot on that top plate in which the arched fuel hose plate fits and the bottom of the plate is angled to fit in that slot. The two fuel hose parts, one for each side, are mirror images of each other, they are NOT identical. Since there are left and right track guard top plates, be sure that you put the correct plate on each side of the model with the slot for the fuel hose facing toward the engine, NOT toward the outside of the model. And, when you glue in the fuel hose, make certain you pick the correct hose with the gothic arched plate angled properly for the slot in which it fits on the track guard top plate or the hoses will not fit snugly into the space on the engine in the middle of the body of the model.

Good luck and enjoy those Baneblades!

BigRob
30-10-2007, 08:50
A solid 4 for me and I'll tell you why.

120 pages according to the page numbering, of which 28 were meaningless rubbish (adverts and the "frontline" section). I do not include the 16 pages of actual new releases as I like to look at the pretty pictures, which is all they are, so you could write them off as well if you like (Whos going to actually buy a figure case tag, write your name on the case!)
Ork preiview would be great if it actually previewed something not on GW website or Warseer. No actual text on the new tsuff, just the usual sales pitch.

That rediculous dwarf cartoon is still the editor, telling me that even though high elves are beardless gimps, he'd still spend all his gromril on the new miniatures! Tell Mummy I want them NOW! Plug Plug! He pops up again in the battle report making more comments like "The orc general is dead..this is bad" or "The greenskins suffer animosity..this is bad" Oh dear:rolleyes:

High elf designers notes and a few army lists. Seems to be a loose collection of comments again telling us how great the new stuff is and how you should buy 3. At least they admit that things were better when they actually had background andnow they are putting it back in the book. The army lists given seem to be a lesson in how you need the new stuff (2 dragons, 3 lion chariots etcetc). The only decent bit is the parts shots for the new kits. These I like because I can see if there are any bits I want for conversions.

Battle report was predictable and had some questionable army selection from the Orc player (what do you mean 3 Goblin big boss's, where are the orcs!) and was a tad boring.

40k and LoTR suffered, but its fantasys month so thats understandable. The campaign idea has promise but a woeful lack of any actual advice, just a page of text and a scenario. The Monster Tactica was kind of like the hero tactica they had a couple of dwarfs ago, "Him hitty, go hit stuff" or "Him fast, go speedy down flank". The sort of obvious things. No sneaky tricks or overlooked combos that people might find useful.

Finally, a useful baneblade building article, the painting tutorials were ok, standard bearer is the usual page filler and the tool kit tutorial might help some people.

Please please please go back to having decent hobby articles!

And bin that rediculous cartoon dwarf!:D

75hastings69
03-11-2007, 10:02
3 from me. I thought the mag was something and nothing really. Not surprised at all to see several pages dedicated to a large plastic kit (brings back memories of the 9 page - buy a plastic giant campaign). Really pleased that they chose to include bits of the Italian Mag showing they have great proofreading and content checking skills, and also loving the fact that the new model saw is sharp!

I don't even worry about when it is coming through to door any more as WD has become sort of a non-event for me thanks to its ever decreasing content and ever growing picture size. Although not as bad as some months it wasn't good. Needs more hobby content as well as numerous stuff that gets mentioned every month on these threads. 3/10.

zak
04-11-2007, 15:44
I had high hopes for this issue, but was let down on a massive scale. The new HE bit was OK, but far too many over sized pictures rather than commentary upon how and why the new book was put together. The battle report outcome was inevitable, but they could have atleast used two playable lists and made it exciting. Charging Squigs into Swordmasters was not only suicide, but plain embarrasing. The 40k and LotR bits were ok, but had little real content, especially the new Orks. The painting guide was good as was the Baneblade section. Overall little content and little worth. I can't believe I paid 4.00 for this copy.
This wasn't the worst copy I have read, but wasn't far off.
This copy gets a rather generous 4/10. The Xmas catalogue included should have sufficed for the adverts. However, GW managed to sneak in several more pages worth in WD!

Must try harder!!!:eyebrows:

Crazy Harborc
05-11-2007, 19:02
Oh gee, the surprise is spoiled:( I would never have guessed the HEs would win in the battle report. yeah....right!.;)

I enjoyed this latest issue more than the last couple of WDs. I like the photos of all the 40K goodies. I read the articles about WHFB.....some of the LoTRs articals. I am okay with the balanced issues. I do miss the once in a great while articles about GW's speciality games.

TwilightOdyssey
05-11-2007, 19:29
It would be funny to have an issue of WD in which the new army gets its clock cleaned.

Sephtar II
08-11-2007, 12:23
Any one else remeber the first battle report the current Dark elf army book was in? the got massacered by a VC army, those were the days.

I found this issue not to bad. I haven't got a baneblade but was interested in components/assembly so I enjoyed the article on ite. The apocalypse COD campaign looks nice. Also I am a HE player so liked the articles but I agree that designers notes are not what they once were *sigh*.

Oh and the cartoon dwarf must go, the editor can comment on the battle reports just get rid of the cartoon!

violenceha
08-11-2007, 22:08
I gave it a 5. First few flicks few the mag I thought it wasn't too bad an issue, it was only when I sat down with enough time to actually read the mag I realised it contained nothing worth reading. There was nothing this month I'd actually call an article and the gift ideas thing included with it this month is just offensive. Geez, I shouldn't have voted first, then posted, I've changed my mind and think it deserves a one.:mad:

Light of the Emperor
09-11-2007, 04:10
I didn't like this one as much as the others before it. It still follows the same basic concept:

-swarm of pages with the newest army (remember when designers talked about cool stuff in the designer notes?)
-piece by piece display of the new plastics
-a batrep won by the new army
-golden daemon
-a 40k campaign (when they have nothing else to put it)

That gift guide is a laugh...They should create another WD sized mag and release it in october for the holiday season. Every company in the world has a holiday mag...why not GW...

This mag gets a 6 from me.

psyberwyche
10-11-2007, 12:55
So, a designer talking about why he's written the new rules and what's changed between editions doesn't qualify as a 'good' design notes article? A battle report doesn't count as a 'good' one unless the new army loses (which, following the logic, means that there has only ever been one good battle report...)? 40K campaigns and painting articles don't count as 'content'? Because?

Seriously, it's a magazine. It's no longer a set of pages lifted from codexes and army books.

Wintermute
10-11-2007, 13:18
Seriously, it's a magazine. It's no longer a set of pages lifted from codexes and army books. Get over it and stop whinging!

People are entitled to express their opinions about WD on this thread. However you do not have the right to criticise them for doing so.

I suggest you read the first post in this thread which contains the guidelines for posting on this thread. Then I strongly advise you to read the Forum's Posting Guidelines (http://warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines) and adhere to them.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

psyberwyche
10-11-2007, 20:19
Wintermute - apologies for the language used, I've edited my last post. No need to go all 'scary robot' on me though...

What I was trying to say is that the criticisms on this forum every month seem a bit extreme and unfair. Whenever an article is printed that seems to be what people have been asking for, it's never good enough. I'm genuinely interested to find out why that is.

I think this was a good issue. Adam Troke's design notes were great. People still complaining about the Italian page need to check previous posts before slamming the WD staff, who probably had no control over the error. Battle report was okay - it actually looked pretty competitive to me. The O&G did well, but the High Elves won in the end. It's really not impossible to believe that it was genuine outcome, is it?

RavenMorpheus
11-11-2007, 06:49
Well I can't give it a score, I never actually read it - flicked through it, saw what was there and didn't really bother reading any of it. Nothing grabbed my attention is the most I can say about it - except for the "toy soldiers" reference in the gift guide, but that's another thread entirely.

cailus
13-11-2007, 02:56
Meh it was boring. I gave it a 2. I don't buy it anymore. Last issue had a cool Apocalypse battle report but this one is serious yawnage.

Also is it just me or is the writing totally and utterly uninspired?

I remember the old days pre 315 when you actually had content to read and could re-read everything because it was interesting.

This issue like many over the last couple of years is crap.

fwacho
14-11-2007, 22:27
no offense taken psyberwyche. I just rember the old eldar design note and ork dsign note of long ago.. still have the issues. What cna I say when you get older you always remebr teh older days as better.

Everett
21-11-2007, 20:09
It's been obvious for a while now that WD is aimed at the younger, uninformed, noob audience. I only buy it when I've had a good flick through in the newsagents and found something worth reading, which is only on occasion.

It sadly reflects on the way GW are going nowadays

Scionscion
21-11-2007, 22:43
Another brilliant issue that is well worth the cover price. White Dwarf justs gets better and better and this old veteran can't get enough of it. I have it on the very best authority that GW each month sells in excess of 200,000 copies of this fine magazine around the world. I rather suspect that that is of more importance to the management and editors than the stubborn refusal by many on this forum to cede them any credit for a great job!