PDA

View Full Version : Legion of the Damned

MrPickles
18-10-2007, 22:16
Hi, I was just wondering if I could use traits with the Legion of the Damned formation sheet for Apocalypse on GW's website.

RexTalon
18-10-2007, 22:30
I would say they have to be taken exactly as described in the datasheet with no alterations unless specifically stated in the datasheet.

Raven1
18-10-2007, 22:49
No, they are taken as per the rules in the datasheet, which already gives them a few good things anyway.

Kasonic
18-10-2007, 22:56
Anyone else bothered by the fact that an Apoc army with 3-4 LotD datasheets is WAY better than a normal SM army? :eyebrows:

Raven1
18-10-2007, 23:05
Nope not really, why you ask, because my brass scorpion(whenever I get it) will massacre just about anything with out an AV.

Alessander
18-10-2007, 23:06
The only (large) downside is that unlike most Apocalypse reserves rolls, LatD uses the BBB rules instead of the "half now half later" speed-reserves rules for Apoc. The Marine Battle Company formation allows you to literally deep strike your army first and second turn (provided they buy drop pods). Nothing would be more devastating than 200 bolter shots on the first turn. Drop a tac squad with a meltagun first turn behind those pesky tanks...

EmperorEternalXIX
19-10-2007, 00:11
The datasheet, I thought, implied the units have to be selected from the Space Marine codex -- which implies that they can be configured any way they are in that book (i.e. variable squad size, traits, etc.).

I may be wrong about that but I still had thought it was the case.

Raven1
19-10-2007, 01:14
Isn't the trait system something that affects the entire list. I can see it taken as normal with a vanilla chapter, but not one that has it's own special formation and rules like LotD

to mean it would be like trying to add traits to a DA or BA list.

EarlGrey
19-10-2007, 01:14
I think taking traits would erode the background and essence of the Legion of the Damned described by the datasheet.
Traits are to customise your chapter, right? And since the Legion of the Damned are a chapter in themselves, seperate from the rest of the army, any traits would already be listed (is fearless and feel no pain not good enough? :) ).
So adding traits will cause them to no longer be the Legion of the Damned.

Of course, with your opponents consent you can fiddle with the datasheets all you want. :)

RexTalon
19-10-2007, 04:37
The datasheet, I thought, implied the units have to be selected from the Space Marine codex -- which implies that they can be configured any way they are in that book (i.e. variable squad size, traits, etc.).

I may be wrong about that but I still had thought it was the case.
I hear what you're saying but take it like this...

You're sitting at a diner. You see that there is a lunch special that includes an appetizer of your choice, any item out of the sandwich section, and a large coffee. So you order a lunch special with a ruben and a hot fudge sundae. You can't do that.

See, you're taking the dred for the Legion from the dred slot in the codex. It doesn't mean that you can take any trait that has to do with dreds too. It doesn't mean you can take traits at all because that's on the dessert menu, and not the appetizer menu, like the vehicle upgrades.

Now you could order another meal, or take the sundae separately, as in, take a separate SM force.

Decius
19-10-2007, 06:26
What you need is opponent's consent, opponent's consent, and maybe a little opponent's consent. In fact, you need opponent's consent to even play an Apocalypse game. If it matter's at all, to me it seems that by RAW you can take traits. Should you? Maybe, but get opponent's consent first.

Edit:
Almost forgot: opponent's consent.

Deadmanwade
19-10-2007, 07:32
I'm sure that if you gave up the fearless, feel no pain and terrifying abilities, your opponent would quite happily let you take traits.
Traits let you give vanilla marines some special rules. The datasheet has 3 NICE rules already.
Reading the sheet though, I'm not sure how many Dreads and Terminators you're supposed to have. You have ONE commander. 0-1 command and 1+ tac, but the dreads and termies are just listed as Dreadnought, Terminator squad.
Personally I'm looking forward to dropping 6 tac squads with feel no pain right into the middle of my opponents army. :p

RexTalon
19-10-2007, 08:35
that means there's no limitations.