PDA

View Full Version : Da Empura and da Blud Axes AND! What would happen if...

RedStompa
19-10-2007, 00:31
OK, I have seen and read alot about how the Blook Axe klan imitates human organizations, and even shouts of 'for da empura!!'

What does this mean? DO they actually worship the god emperor in some sort of convoluted way? Does the Emperor's warp self feel revulsion at such a blasphemy? DO the Blood Axe orks even know who/who the Emperor is?

Also: how depressed would an ork get (right before it died) if a SM managed to take its slugga away from him and chop him to death? What if a commisar or IG sergent managed to?

I would be pretty sad if I was an ork in that situation.

iamkion132
19-10-2007, 01:04
They don't actually worship him. They are the most likely of all the ork clans to pick up human/xeno tactics such as the use of camouflage, special operation forces, retreating even. They were among the first to make contact with humans, and seemed to trade with them even on occasion. Other Orks consider them "Un-Orky" Shouting "For the Emperor" may just be something that they picked up from their various dealings with the Imperium.

Vaulkhar
19-10-2007, 01:04
Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we win, we win. If we die, we die so it don't count as defeat. If we runz for it, we don't die neither so we can always come back fur anuvver go, see?

worship God-Emperor: No. They are xeno scum and hence worship of the Emperor of Mankind would entail their mass suicide.

God-Emperor feels revulsion: No idea, nobody's been able to get a word out of his pottyness since M.31.

Know who the Emperor is: Probably, but I doubt they've bothered to take it much past 'oomie Gork...or Mork..oh wotever, crump 'em ladz!'

Loss of slugga: Wotch'oo mopin' round fer like sum bleedin' grot? Get out there and get yer zoggin' gun back!

swordwind
19-10-2007, 01:22
They're copying what the Marines and Guard do. Marines and Guard shout "For the Emperor" as thier battlecry. Orks copy it. Simple.

Col. Dash
19-10-2007, 01:46
I doubt they worship him, but as said above, if they are yelling it,then its because they heard the humans do it. Blood Axes in the fiction have much exposure to human forces and have served as mercenaries in the past. Battlefields of orks vs humans provide large amounts of teeth which are the orkish currency, so wily commanders harvest them and as said have been known to hire the Axes.

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 03:06
They're copying what the Marines and Guard do. Marines and Guard shout "For the Emperor" as thier battlecry. Orks copy it. Simple.

Orky See, Orky Do.

Apologist
19-10-2007, 10:41
Orks admire anything big and powerful, so while they might think individual 'oomies are pink an' squishy., they certainly have respect for their Boss, the Emperor.

There's a few stories in the Waaagh da Orks! trilogy (WdO, 'Ere we Go! and Freebooterz) that imply they think of the Emperor as a war god of the humies not as great as Gork and Mork, of course but still plenty 'ard.

In fact, there's even an Ork nob (Kaptin Nuzzgrond, I believe), who witnesses a Warlord Titan and assumes it's the Emperor himself since it's so big and strong.

All of which is to say that Orks have a simple and robust view of religion. Gods to orks are literally just giant, powerful versions of themselves and their enemies a metaphysic that presumably comes from the fact that ork biology means the more successful you are, the bigger and tougher you are. Ergo, the god of the 'oomies must be well 'ard!

In answer to your specific questions, an ork warcry of 'For the Emperor' is not really a religious catechism as it would be for humans it's a simple declaration of purpose: the subtext is not 'I will bring glory to [insertgodhere] and he will use supernatural powers to help me'; it's 'I'm going to hit you until bits fall off you'. The specific words aren't really important but enthusiasm is.

As to the choppa question, I imagine very depressed, but very briefly. ;)

Iracundus
19-10-2007, 11:00
There are two stories about Orks seeing Imperial Titans. The one where it's mistaken for a metal body for the Emperor is by an Ork Mek. This inspires the Mek who goes on to create the first Gargant as a body for the Ork gods. A fragment of this story is reprinted in the Apocalypse book. The story in its longer form also appeared in Titan Legions.

The other story is from the Freebooterz book where a group of Orks on a hill watch an Imperial Titan. Only the Blood Axe knows what it is and the other Orks treat him with open suspicion and contempt when he identifies the Titan as a Titan for them.

RedStompa
19-10-2007, 23:46
thats interesting... orks being used a marcenaries? How can they be trusted?

How can in IG commander know that the ork just wont turn around and attack him at the most convienent moment? If they don't attack, how woul the IG commander get them to leave?

Cripple X
20-10-2007, 00:10
thats interesting... orks being used a marcenaries? How can they be trusted?

How can in IG commander know that the ork just wont turn around and attack him at the most convienent moment? If they don't attack, how woul the IG commander get them to leave?

I think he knows that the Orks will turn on them for a 'good an propa waaagh'. My guess is that he's basically forced to hire Bloodaxes because his own forces need to be supplmented. Any commander worth his salt would probably send the Blood Axes in to do the fighting and keep his own troops in reserve so that if the Orks do turn on them then the Imperial Forces are in a good position to strike at the Ork Force quickly before they can do too much damage.

BrotherAdso
20-10-2007, 00:32
Heh. Nah, the Orks spiritual/psychic energy in life will never be 'dedicated' to the Emperor, even if he happens to be the word on their lips. Same reason the Orks can't really be effectively corrupted to Chaos -- Gork and Mork are simple racial embodiments -- they are Orks, and Orks are them. No other god needed or even really possible.

Oh, and they wouldn't get depressed if their choppa got yanked. They're fighting! Orks only get depressed when they're not fighting. They would be right pissed, though"
"Dat's my choppa...da beaky boy has 'is own damn sword. It ain't a fair scrap dis way!"

However, the question of racial pride is pretty interesting. Orkses iz better...but dem otha boyz is pretty 'ard, too. Orks, especially Blood Axes, are equal-opportunity mayhem spreaders, but always with a primitive eye towards getting the best out of the deal in terms of their own skill increasing.

And mercenary Orks -- no, you can't trust them AFTER the fight. But Orks value the fighting itself above all, so as long as you bring them to a good scrap and help them make the most of it, they'll stick around.

The motto of a commander who hires the Blood Axes: When life gives you incredibly deadly lemons, you pray to the Emperor for a bottle of magical pepto and make lemonade anyway.

Nozeminer
01-11-2007, 17:06
What does this mean? DO they actually worship the god emperor in some sort of convoluted way?

-No, they're just immitating da 'Oomies.

Does the Emperor's warp self feel revulsion at such a blasphemy?

-Hopefully.:D

DO the Blood Axe orks even know who/who the Emperor is?

-Probably. He is da biggest an' baddest uv da pinkskinz after all.

Also: how depressed would an ork get (right before it died) if a SM managed to take its slugga away from him and chop him to death?

No one knows, it's never happened.

superknijn
01-11-2007, 17:40
They probably think that the Emperor is the 'Umies biggest Warboss, which is/was correct to a degree.

And, ofcourse, the two seconds of wonder/hysterical laughter that such a strange warcry will invoke in the opponent can be used to get closer, so more of the boys can chop.