PDA

View Full Version : Macragge: Imperial Guard question

krag123
19-10-2007, 15:30
I play Space Marines, and have played them for the past 9 years. I have recently restarted my IG army that has been an on and off project but decided to get underway with the coming of the Apocalypse.

I am a big fan of the fluff surounding the 40k universe and the Ultramarines in paticular, as i play an Ultramarines force. In reading the stories in the Codex, and a few other places it says that "While Ultamar is not needed to leavy troops for the Imperial Guard, they still do so". I thought it would be fitting that I attempt to make my Guard a regement that was founded on Macragge. This way there would be at least some reason for my IG and SM's to be fighting together.

My question is, What are the colors that a typical regement from Macragge would wear? Im woundering if there is a specific set that they use as apposed to the random camo of other units. I guess you could kind of play it off as saying they are wearing the colors that are best suited for where they are fighting at the moment, but i figured it would be worth looking into.

If any one can point me to a site, or tell me where i can find this informtion that would be great, or even if you know what they would wear that would be even better.

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 15:31
Ya know, I was actually wondering the *exact* same thing earlier, and was tempted to make a post about it myself...

*sits in anticipation of answers*

sigur
19-10-2007, 15:31
I remember them wearing similar colours as the Ultramarines, which means (not so anymore) Ultramarines blue and white-ish cloth.

Arkley
19-10-2007, 15:44
Well as a fellow Ultramarines player and fan,I am currently creating the Macragge 808's (My log in my sig)...

I am going for Blue Armour, Grey Uniforms, Black Guns, Gold Detail.

My IG Docs are, Storm Troopers, Grenidiers, Iron Discipline, Xeno-Fighters (Tau/Nids), have not thought of a fifth yet.

Brother Loki
19-10-2007, 16:00
I don't think you could go far wrong with blue and white as a colour scheme. Maybe look at the way Ultramarines scouts are painted?

It's a nice concept for an army actually. I'd actually be tempted to avoid doctrines altogether to go for a sort of 'codex' theme for them.

Arkley
19-10-2007, 16:03
It's a nice concept for an army actually. I'd actually be tempted to avoid doctrines altogether to go for a sort of 'codex' theme for them.

I have to admit that idea really appeals :)

HighLord
19-10-2007, 16:07
If you go back far enough in White Dwarf Covers there is one of a long line of guardsmen walking across a grass field. I believe the banner indicated they where from Macragge and where painted grey fatigues with a blue strip down the pant leg and front to back on the helmet with black vests, but these were the First Guard Models. See if you can find a Dark Mellenium Ed. Ultramarines Codex. It has a lot of background on the system defences and units. Some of the battle art has Guard in the background.

krag123
19-10-2007, 16:12
For mine im planning on doing a codex army based on WW2 army organization i found on this site:
http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/ArmyOrg/OrgChart/Charts.htm

My plan is to make a full Battalion of IG, all infantry (this will be a long project), and to use as few tanks as possible. I will open a project log as soon as i lay down a name for them and more of a history of the unit.

but here is the ruff outline:

3 x Infantry Company:
......3 Infantry Platoons
............3 squads
......1 Heavy Weapons Platoon
1 x Heavy Weapons Company
......3 Heavy Weapons Platoons
......1 Infantry Platoon
1 x Artiliary Battery

It may not work all that well, but it sure will look nice ;)

Arkley:
I do like that blue and grey look you gave your guys.

Dren Krelar
19-10-2007, 16:12
I was considering doing this myself. It's one of 3 or 4 different themes I was considering for my IG project.(The others are SG-1 style, Starship Troopers style, or desert camouflage style)

I'd say Codex grey for the uniform, with Ultramarines blue on the shoulder pads, and either Chaos black or Ultramarines blue for the rest of the armor.

krag123
19-10-2007, 17:57
The Blue idea is really growing on me, now that could be because i have lots of blue already, or because i play the Ultramarines, but an intersting question now is; What color for the tanks or other vehicals in the army? Should they get the blue treatmeant as well?

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 18:08
Personally, I like the idea of dark green tanks with blue stripes somewhere on them. Just like, one, perhaps with an Ultramar symbol of some variety painted on it.

In my imagination, it'd be like a blue strip on the forward section of a Leman Russ, with an Ultramarine U, a skull inside the U, and then the regiment number somewhere nearby; all in white. >.< Thats purely on a visual level though, I don't know if thats at all fluffy.

Brother Loki
19-10-2007, 18:25
If you were to go with blue armour and grey fatigues on your infantry, I could see blue and grey 'camo' working for tanks. I think it might make quite a cool looking urban scheme.

I think its important to tie them in to the infantry's scheme.

Dren Krelar
19-10-2007, 19:01
I'd say all grey on the tanks with blue on the part of turret, at the front of the sides, or on the sponsons.

I'll see if I can do a quick photoshop to show you what I mean.

Culven
19-10-2007, 19:06
I would think that a Blue/Grey/White Ice World scheme on the tanks would look nice and the colours would tie into the Ultramarines' colours.

HighLord
19-10-2007, 19:10
Grey tanks with the blue and white as vertical unit markings on the front side corners. Simple and quick.

Dren Krelar
19-10-2007, 19:14
Ok... Here's the quick and dirty photoshopped Russ.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/DrenKrelar/MacCraggeRuss.jpg

I'd say something like that would look pretty good.

HighLord
19-10-2007, 19:43
Painting the sponsons sound good, as I have found that when I magnitize them, a contrasting colour hides any small gaps a bit better. Throw a white strip on the front or back (not down the middle) and that would be the basic idea.

Gen.Steiner
19-10-2007, 19:55
Every time the Ultramar Defence Force has made an appearance in GW publications, they wear khaki. Sorry to disappoint, but blue isn't a colour that they appear to use!

Of course, the UDF isn't the Ultramar Guard Regiments, so that probably doesn't count. ;)

To the chap doing a full battalion of Guard - hey! I'm doing the same thing! Check my sig - Preparing for Apocalypse. I'd like to see your thoughts. :)

Jo Bennett
19-10-2007, 20:24
I didn't think Guard regiments were raised from Space Marine homeworlds? In any case the UDF have been pictured as Valhallan in appearance and colouring when they have appeared in battle reports.

Gen.Steiner
19-10-2007, 20:25
They're not, normally, but Ultramar is so prosperous and so devout that there's no reason not to. In the Imperium, the realm of the Ultramarines is about as close as you'll get to happy-clappy land.

Dren Krelar
19-10-2007, 20:27
Every time the Ultramar Defence Force has made an appearance in GW publications, they wear khaki. Sorry to disappoint, but blue isn't a colour that they appear to use!

AFAIK The only time we see pictres of them is in a WD battle report using already painted Vallhallans fighting Tyranids along side the smurfs, so IMHO I don't think that should count too much. ;)

Then again I could be wrong and there could be GW artwork that shows them in their official colors.

Gen.Steiner
19-10-2007, 21:07
AFAIK The only time we see pictres of them is in a WD battle report using already painted Vallhallans fighting Tyranids along side the smurfs, so IMHO I don't think that should count too much. ;)

Then again I could be wrong and there could be GW artwork that shows them in their official colors.

They're also in the Apocalypse rulebook - again, they're clearly wearing Valhallan-pattern ice world uniforms in khaki. :)

It may be a BatRep, but it's still canon. Khaki is the colour of the UDF - but the UDF, as I've pointed out, are not Irish terrorists or the Ultramar Imperial Guard. So the Guard could be wearing anything!

Dren Krelar
19-10-2007, 22:27
Canon is a tricky thing. I know. I'm a Star Wars fan. :D

But as you said. PDF is not IG. So the OP can choose whatever colors he wants.

Gwedd
20-10-2007, 02:29
Comrades,

Well, my suggestion would be to use Codex grey for the coat & pants, UltaMarine Blue for the helmet, shoulder pad and armour, plus the body case of the lasgun. Use Commando Khaki for the leggings, boots, and belts, pouches, etc. Hinally, sunburst yellow for the insignia.

This way, you'll have a drab-colored uniform, but UM Blue tie in with the armour, linking them to Ultramar.

Use the interactive IG page on the GW website to try out the combo, and others.

Respects,

Dren Krelar
20-10-2007, 15:40
Do you have a link to this?

I wanted to try it out, but I can't find it.

Gwedd
20-10-2007, 15:52
Comrade,

It's on the UK site. Try here:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/flash-painter/1/

They also have SM, etc ones as well.

ThorOdensson
20-10-2007, 16:04
Id say they would be painted in Ultramarine scout colours at least for parade.

I'd probably have them be better equipped than the average guard regiment as well so id go for at least Carapace Armour if only for theme

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-10-2007, 16:38
I would just paint them in camouflage. They are not space marines, and while it might be okay to make yourself a big bright target if you are wearing armour heavier than light tanks and are going for the shock effect of a space marine assault, guardsmen tend to take a dim view of being shot and generally prefer not making themselves anymore likely to die than the absolutely have to.

Blue might feature heavily in parade uniforms, but I can't imagine they wouldn't be practical enough to wear something appropriate for the world they are fighting on.

rintinglen
20-10-2007, 16:40
I think I would go with a lighter grey than codex grey. Fortress grey looked better to me when I tried it on the Interactive IG Painter. You might also try midnight blue armor with ultramarine blue cloth and white aquila and details.

Arkley
20-10-2007, 16:55
Here is an example for my IG, I dont look at these guys as a PDF...

OctopussyVonThunderballs
20-10-2007, 16:56
Hey guys, I have a link to an old Canadian IG painting drive that uses Ultramarines-style colours. Not completely done but good for inspiration.

http://ca.games-workshop.com/news/cn/articles/Imperial_Guard_CA/Craig/army.htm

Dren Krelar
20-10-2007, 17:07
Here are a few qucick concepts I canme up with using the IG painter.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/DrenKrelar/MacCraggeIG1.jpghttp://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/DrenKrelar/MacCraggeIG2.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/DrenKrelar/MacCraggeIG3.jpg