PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO! First regiment finished!

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 19:12
I know this is nothing all that important >_< but I finally finished my very first regiment of Chaos Warriors!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/mistharm/WH40k%20Minis/ChaosWarriors1stRegiment.jpg

Sorry the pic is so crummy <;_;> I'm just excited. I painted them as well as I possibly could; and I'm genuinely very pleased how it came out. Just 3 regiments, 5 knights, and 3 characters to go! Then I can *gasp* learn to play Warhammer! <,<

I'll shuddup now <. .>;

blurred
19-10-2007, 19:19
Congrats! :) The first one is always special no matter how ugly it looks after a few years.

Btw, you really should base them. They look a hundred times better on the field. :)

Alathir
19-10-2007, 19:21
Congraluations, my friend! Fine looking unit you have there, I like the color scheme.

I love the feeling of a finished unit...

Urgat
19-10-2007, 19:40
Congratulations :)
As for the pic, just try not to be so close to the unit when you take it, it shouldn't be blurred that way.

Btw, you really should base them. They look a hundred times better on the field.

What the sir said. It's not so hard, and it really makes a difference.
Unrelated, but you can learn and play with unpainted minis :) (just argue that it is not your finished army and therefore if you lose, it's because you're only playtesting them :D )

That makes me think, would be nice to start a thread displaying people's very first completed unit :) (mine is a BO unit that I almost never use anymore, but you know how it is, you buy your book, you look at it, you see the most powerful unit in there and you want to buy it straight away lol)

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 19:52
Yeah, I'm definitely going to base them, I'm just not precisely sure what type of look I'm going for yet <@.@> I'm *thinking* I'll see if I can get an urban theme going; since my army is supposed to be revolutionaries that promote cult activity, then sweep in once a town is suitably subverted, finishing off any resistance. But we'll have to see if I can actually handle that >.<; (i get all these big ideas <,< but as I'm still very new at this, I'm never quite sure if I can make them work well or not; pretty hit and miss!)

The camera is a cellphone btw <;.;> thats why its so bad. Its odd how it sometimes looks OK in the background, but when I actually try to pull out to take pics... it doesn't do any better. I'll have better pics when the army is done, as I'm going to borrow my mom's professional camera. Can't waste the film until I'm ready to display the whole thing though.

A thread for first units sounds great honestly <@-@>

Putty
19-10-2007, 19:54
looks good. keep practising... it took me 1 year or so of practising to get the look i want.

btw, u playing slaanesh or undivided?

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 20:03
Tzeentch actually <'x'>; The colorscheme was initially inspired by the 40k Thousand Sons, but then I thought the silver had a nice effect (the hordes of Tzeentch are supposedly called the "Shimmering Host" according to the Liber Chaotica)

Putty
19-10-2007, 20:24
ahhh!! that explains the blue!

do show us more of ur stuff along the way!

with better pictures of course ;)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-10-2007, 21:04
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to finishing my first unit someday...

I've played probably about 10 games of WHFB, and I have yet to fully paint one unit. The most I ever did for 40K was 10 Space Marines. I need to focus...

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 21:19
Yah, focusing is the hardest part. What I eventually had to do was tell myself "Ok, if you do 5 a day, in 3 days you finish a regiment. You have 4 regiments. So if you paint like this, you'll be *done* in just about 2 weeks!" That was all the motivation I needed!

I just need to get myself to do the same for my Blood Angels in 40k; I have far fewer of them to paint honestly, so why its so hard to get motivated to paint them is beyond me! (Though I did at least get my darn chaplain done!)

Urgat
19-10-2007, 22:03
because SM are boring to paint, maybe? :p

mistformsquirrel
19-10-2007, 22:12
Haha <,< a little bit. Too many flat surfaces without little bits to do anything special with I think may be the problem. That, and my freehanding on shoulderpads is terrible - not enough space to do what I want to do; and I hate using existing chapter iconography, so transfers are out! <x.x>; Makes them kinda a pain to do though. Well ok, that, and the fact that my first 2 models (both Marines), are the wrong colors.

You can see them in the picture actually - see that dark blue Marine and the teal Marine?

My chapter color is actually sky blue - all the rest of my Marines are the right color (the white is my Death Company); but its annoying knowing I'll have to repaint both of those in order to get a nice uniform look going.

kuriad
20-10-2007, 02:11
To be honest the best way to paint is the manufacturing line way.

Paint each part of the regiment 1 at a time.

eg:
Day 1 do armour
Day 2 do weapons
Day 3 do etc...

This way you actually paint faster as each section that you are painting is similar type and color therefore you get faster. Also when you do finish the whole unit is finished all at once, instead of having 1/2 models finished and other not started

Flypaper
20-10-2007, 03:38
Congratulations, I understand what a milestone that is. It took me six months to finish my first regiment of Saurus Warriors (the first things I ever painted), and I spent days afterwards walking around with them on a movement tray so I could admire them from every angle. :p

Unwise
20-10-2007, 13:15
Congrats mate.

You know, the unit looks OK even with a blurry photo, which is a little depressing. I mean, if a unit looks good on the table top from a distance of a couple of feet (or in a blurry photo), then it always feels like a bit of wasted effort painting them up to a very high standard.

Nice banner btw, well painted.

The last guy that posted me a picture of some minitures did not crop the photo well. I got an eye-full of a reflection in the window of him standing there naked taking the photo. My poor poor eyes.

vice
20-10-2007, 13:29
The last guy that posted me a picture of some minitures did not crop the photo well. I got an eye-full of a reflection in the window of him standing there naked taking the photo. My poor poor eyes.

:eek:

The goggles, they do nothing!

OT, well done, they look a lot better than the chaos unit my friend made me paint, even through the terrible picture! Blue just looks good with chaos, WHFB or 40k...

Finnigan2004
20-10-2007, 13:54
Congratulations-- it's a very exciting time to finish your first unit. Keep the feeling in mind and then multiply it by the number of units in your army, that's how you will feel when you are done the whole thing. Just thought that I would give you some additional motivation. Enjoy the army.

mistformsquirrel
20-10-2007, 14:37
Congrats mate.

You know, the unit looks OK even with a blurry photo, which is a little depressing. I mean, if a unit looks good on the table top from a distance of a couple of feet (or in a blurry photo), then it always feels like a bit of wasted effort painting them up to a very high standard.

Nice banner btw, well painted.

<X_X>; Holy crap... Thankfully <,< I wear clothes when I paint lol <'x'>;

And I'm glad you like the banner! That's one of my favorite things to do honestly. My chosen banner is going to be one of the last minis I paint, and also will be one of the hardest; but if I get it done right, it'll also look really good! >.<;

If I can just shake this headache, it'll be time to start on the front rank of Chaos Warrior Unit 2.

Putty
20-10-2007, 16:10
cool

check out my painting log if ya want:

http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-project-logs/103663-putty-s-fantasy-paint-modelling-log.html