PDA

View Full Version : Multiple use of Common Magic Items

Inquis. Jaeger
06-09-2005, 09:10
Can several models in an army use multiples of a common magic item? Say both the general and a hero with an enchanted shield, for instance? Primarily asking because DoW got shafted with this, and whilst they're cheap, single use of any one item would really bite.

PelsBoble
06-09-2005, 09:14
Sorry you cant :(

nurgle_boy
06-09-2005, 09:28
i thought they could... i thought it was just the stuff from the specific army book that could only have one of....

wait... dispell scrolls... you can take multiples of them, so why not the rest?

athamas
06-09-2005, 09:31
you can take multiple dispell scrolls, and power stones, and they are prepared indivdually by the mage in question, and thus he can make as many as he wants...

common magic items are just as rare as the rest... which is really silly, except each race can take 1 of them...

nurgle_boy
06-09-2005, 09:34
damn... i smell a revision for 7th edition there i think i think...

samael
06-09-2005, 09:59
damn... i smell a revision for 7th edition there i think i think...

Why?

This rule has been here forever and I like it.

Why does everyone seem to want everything.

Oh and btw here's one to really make you sick.

From direwolf , the site where I go with all my rules questions.

Q. May a Wizard be equipped with Power Stones and another Arcane item
at the same time?

A. No. The general rule is that characters may only be equipped with one
magic item from each category (Magic Weapons, Talismans, Arcane Items,
etc.)

While Wizards have been granted an explicit exception in the Power Stones
description which makes it possible for several Wizards to carry Power
Stones and for a single Wizard to carry more than one, they are not given
an explicit exception to allow a single Wizard to carry Power Stones and
another Arcane item.
S. Rulebook pages 152, 153, 154

Yanos
06-09-2005, 10:11
Interesting, and true. Presumably the same is true of Dispel Scrolls, with the exception that you can carry more than one of those (and thus have two Arcane Items that way).

Griefbringer
06-09-2005, 10:56
Presumably the same is true of Dispel Scrolls, with the exception that you can carry more than one of those (and thus have two Arcane Items that way).

Scrolls can be combined with other Arcane item. BRB page 153: "Wizards can have one Arcane item as well as carry several scrolls."

Yanos
06-09-2005, 11:29
Ah, ta :). Good to know I've not been getting it wrong all these years. Shall have to find a way of getting the BRB into work!

Back on track, I think it's for the best that the Common Magic Items remain 0-1, as it were. Imagine an army where every S4 character takes a Sword of Might, it would upset the balance a tad. And multiple Staves of Sorcery: 50pt each I know, but +3 to dispel ain't too shabby :eek:.

Inquis. Jaeger
06-09-2005, 11:39
Egad. Only now do I realise how truly screwed over DoW are. Pretty much 4 actually useful items. Swords of Might and Battle, Ench. Shield, Talisman. Turning to this from 40k Wargear lists, this both sucks and blows.

Atrahasis
06-09-2005, 11:49
Oh and btw here's one to really make you sick.

From direwolf , the site where I go with all my rules questions.

Q. May a Wizard be equipped with Power Stones and another Arcane item
at the same time?

Yeah, sorry about that :D
That particular Q&A is my fault.

cardboard_armour
06-09-2005, 19:04
If you could take multiple versions of common items then enchanted shield would just be a prolific no-brainer and war-banners would be all over the shop.

WLBjork
06-09-2005, 19:17
Too true.

Furthermore, DoW have one of the most flexible army lists available.

Dwarfs to provide a rock solid base, Heavy and Light cavalry, Ogres, Pikemen, Spearmen - it all adds up. Add in the RoR, quite a few of which have access to something magical or special, and you're well away.

Crazy Harborc
06-09-2005, 19:18
WHFB rules and most of the armies do very well if/when used without magic toys of any kind. The basic rules are a good version of a legitimate set of wargaming rules. Yes, it can be more fun to play the system when using magic toys and stuff that requires a magic phase. That said, it(magic) isn't needed just to make the basic rules work.

Festus
06-09-2005, 20:56
Hi

Egad. Only now do I realise how truly screwed over DoW are. Pretty much 4 actually useful items. Swords of Might and Battle, Ench. Shield, Talisman. Turning to this from 40k Wargear lists, this both sucks and blows.

You even forgot the most important and 2nd best item here (after the DMS): The WarBanner!
At 25 points it is a steal and a must have item for every army basically: The whole bonus of an additional rank of minis for just 25 points.
I would take two if it was possible :D

Greetings
festus

Sanjuro
06-09-2005, 21:21
Hi

You even forgot the most important and 2nd best item here (after the DMS): The WarBanner!
At 25 points it is a steal and a must have item for every army basically: The whole bonus of an additional rank of minis for just 25 points.
I would take two if it was possible :D

Greetings
festus

Except only one unit in the DoW list is allowed to take a warbanner, and that is a Stubborn unit (a T3 5+ armour save unit that you wouldn't expect to win combat anyways).

They should allow pikes to carry the warbanner. :)

cardboard_armour
06-09-2005, 23:08
I'd be happy simply if my Merc General could have a good ol' great weapon. They slipped up on that option. It's not there.

Inquis. Jaeger
07-09-2005, 08:32
Good point, particularly considering the model for the Mercenary General comes WITH a great weapon! Brace of pistols is good, but over-priced.

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2005, 18:21
Try talking an opponent or three into letting you do a special deal and have your Merc General pay the points and use that great weapon. Do point out quickly that your merc general NOT be using a shield in HtH.

gortexgunnerson
10-09-2005, 12:29
Well in the specific case of DoW you do have access to regiments of renown which is basically extra hero generally with magic items of his/her own to competsate for your lack of generic heros with magic items. But as pointed out most armies can be played without much magic items to an effective level especially below 2000 points. I normally take loads of magic itmes and stuff but have been recently experimenting with very few magic items with a far bit of success

Commissar Vaughn
10-09-2005, 13:34
used my own 2k Dow army the other day against archaon and about 30 of his drinking buddies. i didnt bother with any common items or regiments of reknown , wiped out the stag party and only lost one unit, archaon went down to a rule of burning iron on the last turn.

i think the "no magic" policy works

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2005, 02:31
WHFB rules and several of the army lists are sound, balanced "real wargaming" material. They can be used with and or without a magic phase and or all magic toys as well. There is something there for real wargamers and people who are mainly into magic whatevers as a tactic to wargame with.