PDA

View Full Version : hireling wizards from dogs of war

eyeolas
19-10-2007, 20:57
I have been having a rant with my friend who wants to field 6 wizards in 2000 points by taking two hireling wizards from dogs of war as rare choices, but this is horrificaly unfair, but I haven't been able to find anything to say he isn't right, untill today.

page 4 of the dogs of war army list, bottom left hand corner paragraph titled special characters and regiments of renowned, last sentance.

'Dogs of war special characters may be fielded only in dogs of war armies'

With this found, me and my friend are trying to decide what is meant by special character for dogs of war, they have none.

so a few questions: is there a referance in the rule book stating what is a special character?

does a hero or lord choice, turned into a rare choice still take up on of your character slots for your army?

can a hireling wizard be taken as a rare choice?

anything will help, thanks in advance

theunwantedbeing
19-10-2007, 21:00
Only the units can be taken, not the characters.
Otherwise everyone would show up with 2 hireling wizard lords to every 2k battle.

eyeolas
19-10-2007, 21:04
The problem comes with RaW, can you prove special characters is meant as just plain characters?

Also, a question to more experianced gamers from further back than 7th ed, in whichever edition the DoW list was made, does it give any deffinition of special characters in that? (this will probably involve having an old rule book)

EDIT: I'd also like to present exibit B: 'Other armies from Ravening Hoards or the Warhammer Armies books can field units from the Dogs of War list'

it states unit, and a character is defined as a lone model, not a unit, correct?

Egfy
20-10-2007, 00:52
'Dogs of war special characters may be fielded only in dogs of war armies'

With this found, me and my friend are trying to decide what is meant by special character for dogs of war, they have none.

Actually, dogs of war do have special characters, the rules for which are in the 2003 warhammer annual.

Bloodknight
20-10-2007, 01:04
Yep. Ghazak Khan, Mydas the Mean, Lucreccia Belladonna and Lorenzo Lupo have had rules in WD.

Red_Lep
20-10-2007, 02:12
Yep. Ghazak Khan, Mydas the Mean, Lucreccia Belladonna and Lorenzo Lupo have had rules in WD.

I've looked for them before but I can't find the rules or a copy of WD, anybody know or am I outta luck?

Red_Lep
26-10-2007, 12:06
Found the rules on the French GW website, now I just gotta find out how to translate them:rolleyes:

Lorcryst
28-10-2007, 19:02
AFAIK, you can only take DoW characters (non-named ones, the named ones like the guy on the dragon are the Special Characters) in "pure" DoW armies ...

So, you cannot take a Hireling Wizard in a Dwarf army (someone tried that at my local GW shop), and you certainly cannot take 6 characters to a 2000 points game ... those restrictions about the number of characters are there for a reason.

Ethlorien
28-10-2007, 19:23
I got the rules for Lorenzo and Borgio off a website, Merchantprince.com or something. If you google Lorenzo Lupo, the hit comes up but the website has since been disabled.

Lorenzo: 300pts, gets a bonus based on his preferred sport, rolled randomly (running=+1T, wrestling=+1A, and Rowing=+1S). He's got some good stats (grant +1 Combat resolution whenin the front rank on foot) and nice magic items (sword ignores armour, shield makes attackers lose d3 attacks, power ring, grant 1 Pikemen or HV Cav a 50pt banne). I'm working on a Dogs of War army myself where he will lead.

Borgio:250pts, after each time he's slain, on a 4+ he gets back up with 1 wound. His weapon is cool, too: hit with a natural 6 and he counts as S10. 18" leadership too. Other good magic items too (Heavy armour w/ 5+ Ward, Helm that causes Fear, grant 1 Pikemen or HV Cav a 50pt banner).

Fluff wise Lorenzo is still the current prince of Luccini, but Borgio of Miragliano died a long time ago (poisoned by his wife).

EvC
28-10-2007, 19:38
Heh, interesting that Borgio can't actually use his S10 ability against Steam Tanks (Since he won't roll to hit)...

Finnigan2004
28-10-2007, 19:39
Just make sure that you don't let him get his hands on the rules for the truthsayer and dark emissary because then he could field a pair of lord level wizards in his army, if you count his lord choice itself (they only take a hero and rare slot)... :eek:.

Bloodknight
28-10-2007, 19:40
The Merchantprince rules are ok to use. The guy from Merchantprince wrote the 6th edition rules which were in WD anyway.

Ethlorien
28-10-2007, 19:40
Truthsayer and Dark Emissary... Hmm, I'm looking at them right now.

Rodman49
28-10-2007, 20:14
Truthsayer and Dark Emissary... Hmm, I'm looking at them right now.

Basically the Truthsayer is a Lvl 3 Mage that can fight, while the Dark Emissary is a Lvl 4 Mage with offensive spells. Really awesome models - I got both.

TheStrategist
30-10-2007, 20:48
Hey,

Can someone PM me a link to MerchantPrice.com? Cause I cant find a working one anywhere. Please and thank you.

Crazy Harborc
31-10-2007, 00:59
It's disabled, I wish I could find a working link.....OR remember the guy who runs its nick name. He did/does belong to Warseer I do believe.

I seem to remember that only a DoW army could use the DoW wizards listed as/with the DoW armie's characters.

eldrak
01-11-2007, 22:01
Raza Decon: Last Activity: 14-08-2006 02:51 seems inactive.
http://www.merchantprince.net/ and it's dead.

edit: Your GoogleFu is weak TheStrategist: cached page (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:8jr5pF3KPpMJ:www.merchantprince.net/Frontpage.html+site:www.merchantprince.net+merchan tprince.net&hl=sv&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=se&client=firefox-a)