PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest army

Hausdorff space
20-10-2007, 00:59
Hi,
I've been out of the GW loop for a while and I am looking to get back into something with a slowly growing force.

So I'm wondering, what is the cheapest(price-wise) force to field?

I'm sure this question will of come up before somewhere, please direct me to any threads you might know of.

The UnNamed One
20-10-2007, 01:01
Space Marines, you dont need many of them to get a nice sized army going, and there are so many ex-Space Marine players you can always pick up good bargains on E-bay, TradeMe etc.

Kasonic
20-10-2007, 01:04
Necrons.

Budget Necrons definitely aren't fun to play, but they are the cheapest army!

Sovereign
20-10-2007, 01:31
I think the key checkpoint is points per standard Troops box. SM and CSM are easily 200+ pts per squad box, which is very good. Necrons aren't too far off, but they're not fun to play. Blood Angels can bee even more points dense, if you load the options onto Assault Marines.

bladeofdeath3
20-10-2007, 01:36
marines. you can easily field 1500 points for under $150. just load up on tac squads, get a captain, and maybe a pred.

Hausdorff space
20-10-2007, 01:52
Are tactical marines the way to go then or is something like the deathwing or ravenwing a bit more points dense for you money?

Greyknights?

Chaos Space Marines?

Grey_Knight
20-10-2007, 01:58
Deathwing is the cheapest to buy and field, mainly because you don't get many models to play with!

Sovereign
20-10-2007, 02:02
As you increase point costs per model, at some point, you eventually reach a level at which your models cost so much, that you just can't field enough stuff to be effective.

EVIL INC
20-10-2007, 02:08
I would say chaos marines. If you use daemons, they can serve double duty in a fantasy army saving you cash there. Not to mention that possessed can be made from spare marine parts and odds and ends and spawn can be mashed together from just about any old spare parts you can find.

Hausdorff space
20-10-2007, 02:10
Deathwing is the cheapest to buy and field, mainly because you don't get many models to play with!

How do pure greyknight armies compare to deathwing (price for points)?
Aren't grey knights hugely points expensive?

scarvet
20-10-2007, 02:12
Or, go for the cheap way, further Nurglise plastic CSM and use the as plague marine, or rubrics.

Chaplain Ark
20-10-2007, 02:13
id have to say eldar is high up there. 3 full dark reaper squads and 2 dire avneger squads and a farseer is under 200 dollars, maybe a little over, and can be around 700-1000 points.

Hausdorff space
20-10-2007, 02:19
id have to say eldar is high up there. 3 full dark reaper squads and 2 dire avneger squads and a farseer is under 200 dollars, maybe a little over, and can be around 700-1000 points.

though far from versitile I would think.

Chaplain Ark
20-10-2007, 02:28
well, that being said...

Hausdorff space
20-10-2007, 02:36
Well I guess, as a functioning army, SM and CSM armies are the cheapest (discounting necron warrior spam).

And I assume the heavier the army the cheaper still.
So deathwing would be around the cheapest.
Or do ravenwing armies turn out cheaper then deathwing as you can't take transports or dreads

How do greyknights compare though are they cheaper or more expensive now that there are new palstic terminators?
What about thousand sons armies?

fwacho
20-10-2007, 07:27
You can field a 1500 pt raven wing army for $270 buying 3 box sets. you just need bitz order a few plasma melta and flamers, and maybey a fist or two.

you can get 1000 point nids by ordering two box sets for $180 . I'll be persuing that option soon myself

Voleron
20-10-2007, 07:52
Grey Knights are kinda pricey, being all metal. A full GK termie squad is like, $100AUD, compared to $65AUD for a box with one less plastic regular termie. Plus, model-for-model, PAGK's cost a lot mor ethan plastic marines - all GK models are metal, currently.

kazkal
20-10-2007, 10:32
Well for tau I payed less then 200 dollars and received

Old Battleforce (multi crisis suit one)
New Battle Force
Devil Fish
2 Hammers heads

Gen.Steiner
20-10-2007, 10:56
DEATHWING. No contest.

Slaaneshi Slave
20-10-2007, 10:57
Not Imperial Guard. I spent over 340 on a 1,000 point Grenadier force. :p

superknijn
20-10-2007, 11:16
Necrons, without question. For 180 euro's, you can have a simple, yet effective 1500 pts army. (2 battleforce and a Necron lord with Ressurection Orb)

leonmallett
20-10-2007, 11:20
All jump pack marines army (using C: BA). Yes, it is a novelty rather than seriously competitve, but it is cheap.

Phenski
20-10-2007, 11:29
Yes, your best bet for saving money on an army is to NOT buy it in Australia.....

Full stop.

The_Warsmith
20-10-2007, 11:30
necron warrior spam for sure

thegreyman
20-10-2007, 11:31
I thought my GK's we're pretty cheap to buy. I think I spent just under $200 US and I can field just under 2000pts. It's even come close to winning tournaments!

byteboy
20-10-2007, 11:32
Well not sure what points limit the army list is for the OP, but I'd have to say Necrons. 1 Warrior box nets you 216points. You can easily do 600+points with 2 boxes of warriors & a Destroyer Lord w/Res Orb/Phylactery/Gaze/Warscythe. (All this is roughly 100$ US)

Necrons are a fun army to play. People just don't quite understand that they are emotionless robots, bent on wiping out all forms of life in the universe. Sometimes I feel people want Necrons to dance the hokie pokie or form a conga line.......

Simply put, if you want more diversity, (odd that people would complain that Necrons are too "simple" and "lack customisation" when everyone is putting the new Chaos book on a pedastal claiming all of a sudden people have more customisation, even though all the wargear got wpied out..... :rolleyes: ), don't play Necrons, go for Tyranids or Space Marines.

As for a Dark Angels Terminator army(aka Deathwing for pure lists), its 50$ US for a box of 5 ******* plastic Termies. My 2k point force consists of 32 Terminators & 2 WhirlWinds. The 30 Termies alone will cost you 300$+, then toss in the WW's, then "Belial" (I used a Grey Knight Terminator), and finally a Terminator Chaplain or Librarian. Research the GW price site and calculate how much that army would cost + tax (not including paint & glue ;) ).

Yeah you have less models, but its pricy.

victorpofa
20-10-2007, 11:48
Any army can have the minimum for about $90 (Two $35 troop boxes plus $20 HQ) so it depends on the point level you desire.

Deathwing at 1500 points using a sample list I made (Using the Plastic Termies) would cost:

Belial - $15 (Termie Captain since no Belial mini currently)
Terminator Chaplain - $15
2 Boxes of Terminators - $100
1 Box Assault Terminators - $50
Dreadnought - $40
Predator - $40
Land Raider - $55
Total - $315

If you take out the Land Raider + Dread and put in a Ravenwing Attack group you save $5 and give you two DA sprues with Termie parts.

All Termie Deathwing would be about $280 for 5 boxes of Termies plus the two HQs.

qwertywraith
20-10-2007, 13:52
Since you (OP) seem interested in Grey Knights, it's probably worth paying the money for what you want.

Otherwise, for pure, out of the box cheapness, necrons, suit heavy Tau, marines and chaos marines that go troop heavy are all fairly inexpensive.

A box of chaos marines can make a squad that costs 295 points right out of the box.

If you are buying retail, the best way to play is to buy the biggest box available and use whatever is in it. It saves you a bit (not much sometimes) but it's the best value you'll get from GW. Sometimes it isn't the best stuff (why are berserkers in EVERY chaos set?????). Some apocalypse boxes are good for this (Mycetic assault box if you want to go nidzilla).

ReclecteR
20-10-2007, 14:38
Well, seeing as you have mentioned GK a few times, and I play GK, might as well say something

If you buy from Maelstrom, a box set of 5 GK will cost 13.5 pounds. A terminator box costs 31.5 pounds. I dont know how many points you want to start with, so I'll just assume 1, 000.
For that, you could buy
Terminator box (HQ) - 31.5
Gives you a BC or GM (if you really want to soak up the points), and 4 termies, plus whatever wargear
If BC: 245
If GM: 329

2x GK boxes - 27
300 without special weapons

4x Grey Knights in PA blisters - 25.2
This gives you the ability to have 2 squads of 8 GK, with 2 left over incinerators
200 points

Dreadnought - 22.5
Anti-tank
150 points

That alone gives you 980 points, and costs 106.5 pounds. This also gives you a strong base for expanding your army in the future, as then you really only need another dread or raider, more termi's or whatever.

Alternatively, you could go the Silent Requiem (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=101214) style list, and buy

2x Land Raiders - 63 pounds
2x PAGK boxes - 27
1x GK blister - 6.3
1x GKT with Psycannon (or BC Stern model) - 9 pounds

Gives you 1000 points for 105.3 pounds.

Whatever you do though, buy the army you like the most. There is no point buying an army just because it is cheap, because if you buy one you dont like as much, you will almost definitely buy another one, and that first army will have been a waste.
Also, buy from an Independant stockist, as it is cheaper from them

good luck whatever you do

EVIL INC
20-10-2007, 15:31
Grey knights seems like the winner so far.
Remember, you dont HAVE to use Grey Kight models. Get reguler marines and termies, do some small conversions for stuff like the psycannon (easily enough done) Add on purity seals and give them a proper Grey Knight paint job.
Look at Blood Angels and so forth, you dont HAVE to use the official models and the cheaper conversions are still perfectly legal and wysiwyg.

Captain Micha
20-10-2007, 15:42
two necron battleforces +lord

seems about the cheapest way out.

That being said, while it can be fun to watch your destroyers zip around.. the warriors are pure footsloggers then.

I say personally the cheapest and most fun is a vehicle based tau force.

otherwise Necrons get expensive.....and quickly. all their fun stuff to use costs serious cash.

worldshatterer
20-10-2007, 15:51
Use and abuse online reatilers and find yourself a nice emperors fist tank company, and you'll be well on your way to 2000pts .

rintinglen
20-10-2007, 16:16
It's been said already, but army for the buck, buy used space marines on e-bay. I bought 84 marines one time for 85$ US that easily made up 1500 points. My Black Templar army cost me less than 225 and has two land speeders, a predator, a rhino, a whirlwind, 10 terminators, and well over one hundred power armour marines. There are well over 3000 points there.
Grey Knights are much more espensive as 1500 points will cost at least $200 US even if you get them used. If you don't mind losing, play World Eaters and you can get all the Berserkers you will ever want for little.

Visionary
20-10-2007, 16:27
Orks of course, but you gotta be good with scratchbuilding to make them cheap :).

Uzbog Gitsmasha
20-10-2007, 17:06
Deathworld Catachans. With a little conversion work, a box of catachan ig models can get you around 500pts. just be prepared to make a lot of jungle scenery

elvinltl
20-10-2007, 18:22
I'll say Nidzilla. All you need to do is buy a few Big Bugs and 6 troop unit and you are set. :) Cheap, affordable, economical and easy to paint.

Hausdorff space
21-10-2007, 00:40
Actually I was only mentioning Grey Knights as I only remembered about them the other day and no one initially commented on them. I had thought they would be cheap due to the fact that whilst they are metal, all the models cost a lot of points to field, so a GK force would be characteristically small like Deathwing armies (though not quite that small).

Whilst I have been tempted by the idea of a Necron army (mass warriors and monoliths for resurrection goodness) or a nidzilla army, I think I will go with space marines for the fact that their forces see the least flux. There a slight rules revisions, but you don’t loose whole craftworlds like the elder do (no more black guardians for Ulthwe, no aspect warrior troops for Biel-tan), which make me a sad panda.
Would I be right in thinking revision possibilities make GK a risky, though tempting (so very very tempting), choice? Similarly CSM?

Would I be right in assuming scout based armies (Ravenguard) are more expensive than their armour heavy friends?

carl
21-10-2007, 01:39
There a slight rules revisions, but you don’t loose whole craftworlds like the elder do (no more black guardians for Ulthwe, no aspect warrior troops for Biel-tan), which make me a sad panda.

Be warned, the ultramarines dex was done before GW started Blanderising everything, so when they finnially re-do it it's going to get a lot of hitting, just like the eldar craftworlds lists did. Unless you've got a specific reason not to I would recomend using the DA codex for your SM's to avoid this, even if you don't feild ravenwing/deathwing. They don't even have to represent DA, they could be anyone, just using DA rules.

Prevents your force getting hit by the Blanderiser that way.

qwertywraith
21-10-2007, 01:45
As Carl mentioned the DA codex is probably the most stable current SM dex, and it also has the "benefit" of having more expensive options, so you need less.

CSM is going to be stable for a long time as they just got a new dex. The only thing they might get are more options in the daemon codex or *maybe* Legion codices like Emperor's Children. I can only hope.

starlight
21-10-2007, 01:56
It would depend on what models you used to represent your Scouts, as I've seen (and used) Catachan conversions... Three boxes of Catachans will fill your Troop slots, and Bolters can be sourced from places like BW Bitz for cheap.

Agreed that Codex: DA is likely the foundation for the future... for good or ill is yet to be seen...

Hausdorff space
21-10-2007, 02:16
Whilst I know SMs are going to take a hit, they will still have all the same entries (for the most part) in all the same areas on the force allocation chart. Which is a big thing. And the different models will do pretty much the same things as they always have

CSM might be stable for the moment, but when the revision comes there is no guarantee it won't change the way everything works.
I miss 1000sons dreads that didn't go beserk, and the all is dust rule. It just seemed so fitting. (thee might of been returned in the new edition, but I don't think they were).

Also the SM models don't suffer massive resculpts (like some tyrnaids do).