PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Music Prize 2005

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 10:38
Who do you want to win?

Homepage (http://www.nationwidemercurys.com/)

Shortlist;
Antony and The Johnsons
Bloc party
Coldplay
Hard-Fi
Kaiser Cheifs
KT Tunstall
Maximo Park
MIA
Polar Bear
Seth Lakerman
The Go! Team
The Magic Numbers

I like Antony and The Johnsons best out of the shortlist myself. I can't see Kaiser Cheifs getting it after Franz F got the last one (too predictable) Coldplay might well get it.

Though to be honest I haven't heard of some of the acts.

Vaya
06-09-2005, 10:42
Some I don't know, most I don't like. Not my kind of music, so I'm just going to stay on the sidelines on this one.

And watch Coldplay win. yaaaawwwn ;)

Piku
06-09-2005, 12:31
The Magic No.s more band for your buck.

Dunno, I getting fed up of some of those trendy b*stards, Coldplay probably deserve it. (Could do with a pair though)

Cade
06-09-2005, 19:02
It should be K. T. Tunstall on artistic merit.

Better bloody not be Coldplay. They have no artistic merit. Although they have managed to make a career out of making one song in a hundred different ways.

I'd love it to be the Kaiser Chiefs. Punk meets Pulp.

Tom
06-09-2005, 19:50
Wow, congrats Pertinax!

(For reference, I think Polar Bear are the reason Snow Partol are called Snow Patrol, but don't quote me on that one.)

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 20:01
Wow, congrats Pertinax!

(For reference, I think Polar Bear are the reason Snow Partol are called Snow Patrol, but don't quote me on that one.)
They sound like some sort of Jazz outfit, I heard the sample on the site I linked to - sounds awful. Snow Patrol have been around for years and these guys are only on their 2nd album, so I doubt it.

Tom
06-09-2005, 20:17
As I said, probably wrong. Just knew that SP were called The Polar Bears until someone forced a name change. in fact, you'd be surprised how many bands have had to change names.

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 20:24
As I said, probably wrong. Just knew that SP were called The Polar Bears until someone forced a name change. in fact, you'd be surprised how many bands have had to change names.
Black Sabbath for one. I forget what they were before but I think history has shown the change, forced though it was, to be a positive move.

And singers as well, David Bowie had to change his name from David Jones as there was alread a David Jones (the english one from the Monkees). Weird eh?

Crube
06-09-2005, 20:29
And singers as well, David Bowie had to change his name from David Jones as there was alread a David Jones (the english one from the Monkees). Weird eh?

Not half as wierd as Mr Bowie himself....

As for the music prize, I have to say I couldnt really care one way or the other. I will admit to not having heard of most of the bands on the list though, so that may have a bearing on my ability to be bothered...

Lord Setra
06-09-2005, 20:46
Hmm for my vote its a close run thing between Kaiser Chiefs and THe magic numbers.

Both great bands who deserve the award.

Tom
06-09-2005, 21:43
Anthony and the Johnsons.

That was way out of left field!

I can see why they got it, though. Though not as popular as the KC, Coldplay or KTT, and they're a bit love-or-hate, there's certainly an ethereal depth to their work.

New Cult King
06-09-2005, 22:36
The only one I've heard of are Coldplay and I can't stand them :(

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 22:53
I like Antony and The Johnsons best out of the shortlist myself.
:D
My taste in music is impecable, its official!

Tom
06-09-2005, 22:54
:D
My taste in music is impecable, its official!

I bow down to you, Kohhna, for you are the Musical Prophet.

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 23:18
Yeah, I really should have had a flutter on it. (Though that would be one way of guaranteeing that they didn't win :))

Rik Valdis
07-09-2005, 11:35
I think Antony and the Johnsons were deserving winners (although I was execting the kaiser Chiefs to win-I suppose they were just too obvious). However, I am in a mood with the MMP as British Sea Power were not even nominated. I cannot understand how a prize with the proffessed criteria of the Mercury could ignore a band that put out an album like Open Season this year. They deserved a nomination a thousand times more than bloody Coldplay.

Piku
07-09-2005, 16:03
Anthony and the Johnsons.

Wha!!!!? frfgh!?

I thought the single release was by a black woman.