PDA

View Full Version : the Hangover Food thread

Jaq Draco
06-09-2005, 11:39
after discussions of kebabs in an other thread

it jolted me into thinking about hangovers, and the food you jsut have to eat, because you feel like death warmed over, you dont want to eat, but you have a craving for it.

for me no matter how crook im feeling the next day after a big night out
kfc zinger burgers always seem to make me feel better and remove the queasiness in my stomach

anyone else got foods that remove the early morning woes of a hangover?

ScouserInExile
06-09-2005, 12:16
anyone else got foods that remove the early morning woes of a hangover?

Large Big Mac meal with full fate Coke.

The only time I eat McDonalds (or any of it's kind) is when I have a hangover. These days eating it when not hungover actually make me feel ill. I blame my wife for making me eat those frew-its and vegutables things all the time...

McMullet
06-09-2005, 12:19
The 3 Cs is a good general rule I find:

A Cr... A visit to the toilet
A Cooked breakfast
A Cuppa (tea)

The precise details of the cooked breakfast can be whatever you like, I'm a vegetarian so it normally means beans and eggs with toast or waffles or something. Later in the day, I'll invariably want something hot covered in melted extra mature cheddar. And orange juice is also good.

Wisdom
06-09-2005, 12:31
Heres my tip. The night before get a curry from a curry house, preferably something reasonably hot. It'll give you the food you need while your drunk but you 'll probably only eat half at most if you're properly pissed. Place a plate over the remains sealing in the freshness. The next day you'll have a lovely lovely coldish yet hot curry cause of the spices, yum yum. Something for your tummy, but no need to go through the stressful process of making something yourself. Kebabs burgers chips etc usually are inedible the morning after but chicken madras is edible and still delicious.

Failing that of course there's always bacon barms, or liver and bacon with onion gravy, roast potatoes, and two veg from the caf. mm mm mm

devolutionary
06-09-2005, 12:33
Hangovers? What are those? :D

After a good booze up though, it's eggs, tinned spaghetti, toast, bacon, and a crap load of coffee. Coffee can also be used on it's own, since it is the miracle food of the world!

Commissar Vaughn
06-09-2005, 12:37
bacon eggs mushrooms and cheese between two thick slices of buttered crusty bread, with tom or brown sauce to taste and a giant mug of tea...i go out on the **** just to provide an excuse for the buttie the morning after!

Brimstone
06-09-2005, 12:38
As most of the others have said or alluded to the best thing is a full English with all the trimmings.

Yodhrin
06-09-2005, 12:39
*retch*

Seriously, how can you lot eat that stuff without puking everywhere, especially hungover :eek:

Toast, water and a couple of painkillers do me. All I can eat without spewing, and gets rid of any symptoms within half an hour.

Brimstone
06-09-2005, 12:46
How could you not. :D

N.B. this picture makes the cardinal sin of having brown bread :wtf:

Fried bread should always be white, I can give the hash browns a miss as well, I prefer saute potatoes.

Sojourner
06-09-2005, 12:51
Bacon and egg sandwich.

Yodh, you must have hella bad hangovers. I've never puked the morning after, though sometimes wish I could to relieve the nausea.

Griefbringer
06-09-2005, 13:30
If I am having a hangover, I do not feel hungry at all, so I don't eat anything at all. However on the afternoon once the hangover has passed and I am starting to feel really great, I start to feel rather hungry too.

x-esiv-4c
06-09-2005, 13:41
Bacon, ketchup, tabasco and marmite sandwich, always clears a vodka headache...

Vaya
06-09-2005, 13:48
Eggs help tremendously. And bacon. Or pasta. Spaghetti, Lasagna, even pizza. Babi pangang, Indonesian or Chinese food...

Heck, I can eat anything when I have a hangover. Not much different from normal now that I think of it... ;)

ironduke
06-09-2005, 13:51
Anything with grease. Preferably swimming in it, does the body a world of good.

The boyz
06-09-2005, 13:51
A bottle or can of whatever I was drinking the night before, I find helps. I think they call this an Irish Breakfast. And a good cup of tea helps aswell.

ScouserInExile
06-09-2005, 13:52
the "shedloads of coffe cures a hangover" thing is a myth, it basically came about because alcohol is a depresant and caffeine is a stimulant, therefore they must counteract each other right? Wrong. The reason why you get the headache part of a hangover (the nausea is caused by the fact that alcohol is a poison) is because alcohol is a diuretic i.e. it makes you wee a lot. When you wee a lot you lose a lot of vital fluids as well as sugars and vitamins and minerals, which is what gives you your headache (well, the dehydration part, mostly). unfortunately, caffeine is also a diuretic and will, therefore, make your headache worse, you are much better off drinking water or fuit juice.

The cooked breakfast thing shouldn't work either, since all the protein take a fair bit of water to digest and will make you more dehydrated BUT it has been proved that fat absorbes alcohol and flushes it out of your system quicker, so this will help the nausea / still being drunk part of the morning after. Oh, and the carbs in the beans will help restore lost sugars as well...

Vaya
06-09-2005, 13:56
It doesn't help against the pain in your head. Only thing that cures that is lots of water before you go to sleep, to prevent the dehydration process.

But it does help against the nasty stomach/ bowel movements.

Marty D
06-09-2005, 14:01
Guido le Wombat WTF?

i find an alcopop aorts me out after a hefty booze session - its smooth so goes down easily and actually tastes nice, his tops up the alcohol levels so adios hangover

plus eating anything thats greasy and would normally make me retch works a treat

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:01
yeah but coupled with orange juice its the excellent cure

@Brimstone: That looks like a slice of fried gold. :)

Griefbringer
06-09-2005, 14:02
Only thing that cures that is lots of water before you go to sleep, to prevent the dehydration process.

I have found this to be most useful - a couple of liters of water drunk before going to sleep does wonders. And it is surprising how much water one can drink when drunk - though it helps starting to drink water at least one hour before going to bed.

The trouble with excessive water drinking though is that some of it wants to pass through the system, so during the night you will wake up every couple of hours with an urgent need to head for the toilet.

x-esiv-4c
06-09-2005, 14:03
Hell, a pint of lard works wonders :)

McMullet
06-09-2005, 14:53
:eek:

Do you want a few raw eggs with that?

I always try to down at least three pints of water before I turn in after a night on the beer. Usually I can sleep through until the next morning, but waking up at 4AM with 3 pints of water + however much beer didn't get evacuated bursting to get out is NOT nice. I usually feel REALLY ill at this point, even if I wasn't ill when I went to bed, and will probably be OK when I wake up.

Vaya
06-09-2005, 15:33
Try eating two slices of brown bread while drinking all the water. Somehow your stomach tends to process the water slower that way, and it doesn't reach your blatter as fast as it normally would.

I've also heard B12 vitamin pills are great at killing hangovers. But never tried it, since the guy telling me is a known alcoholic, and thus it sounds like taking drastic measures...

McMullet
06-09-2005, 15:47
Most of the hangover cures I've seen in books seem to consist of vitamin rich fruit juices and things. Apparently fruit sorbet or "crush" is good, but frankly I don't think I have the mental capacity to make that sort of thing when hungover. I have to rely on the instinct to fry.

Inquisitor Engel
06-09-2005, 17:12
N.B. this picture makes the cardinal sin of having brown bread :wtf:

Isn't that from the Roadtrip? :eyebrows:

Whatever Brimmy fed us after our second night was one of the most welcome breakfasts I've ever had.

And whatever Roz's Mum cooked up for us after the FIRST night... urrgggh I get queezy just thinking about that first night...

Here? It's a good Omlette. The Caf serves them all day on weekends, so I'll just roll out of bed, put some pajama bottoms and a shirt on, and stumble down stairs and order a Colorado.

Mmmm...

Oh, and a big glass orange juice AND apple juice (seperate glasses of course) does the trick.

Guido le Wombat
06-09-2005, 17:21
urrgggh I get queezy just thinking about that first night...

I hope you aren't saying things against the special stuff I mixed up....

(was I the only one who felt totaly fine after that? :p)

Anyway, on a slightly more serious note than my previous post, anything with lots of fat is good.

Cold pizza reheated in the microwave, full fried breakfasts and sunday roasts are about the best for me though :)

Inquisitor Engel
06-09-2005, 17:35
(was I the only one who felt totaly fine after that? :p)

Considering you and I are the only ones who drank it... yes. :p

Ickly Pauly-wauly nearly threw up after one sip. I think he might have just smelt it too... ;)

Ravening Wh0re
06-09-2005, 17:50
I get hangovers from that Devil's drink, Tequila. The only cure is a big greasy fry up to settle my stomach, and a big Bloody Mary to settle my head

Cade
06-09-2005, 18:56
Taking an aspirin with a pint of water before bed helps.

Next morning (or afternoon if you're a proper party animal) consists of Bacon butties and Irn Bru.

Booze dehydrates you and lowers your blood sugar level.
So lots of liquids and carbs is the best thing for a hangover.

I've just remembered a classic joke form the Young Ones:
"Vyv.....what's good for a hangover?"
"Erm....drinking heavily the night before, Neil!"
"Right. Thanks."

Inquisitor Engel
06-09-2005, 22:12
and a big Bloody Mary to settle my head

Never understood this.

The alcohol has caused me to have a hangover... so I'm going to...drink... more..alcohol?

I've never understood Bloody Mary's to begin with, but yeah, does that work?:eyebrows:

The Dragon Reborn
06-09-2005, 22:41
I dont drink but I sure love a big breakfast, over-easy eggs pwn all....

*goes off to make breakfast for dinner* thanks guys

Alco Engineer
06-09-2005, 23:04
Oh, and a big glass orange juice AND apple juice (seperate glasses of course) does the trick.

In my experience the last thing you want is orange juice. I have tried and tested on many a "stomache hangover" (in some circumstances up to 14 trips to the porcelin express th bring everything back up) and orange juice burns! the best thing to have is a glass of apple juice because at least it tastes good on the way back up.

Also a slice of toast with vegemite will do the trick too.

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 23:22
You need fluid, vitamins, minerals, preferably a little alcohol to let you down easy. Not that I've had the opertunity to try it myself but a half pint of Guinness and a few Oysters and you should be sweet.

NaT
07-09-2005, 00:42
Anything greasy. I once got totally smashed at a friends party, in the morning she came to be bearing a plate of sausage, egg, bacon and toast fryed in the leftover fat/oil of the previous 3 things.

I declared my ever lasting love for her on the spot.

Jaq Draco
07-09-2005, 02:20
the thing i most despise about a hangover is the AGB

After Grog Bog

this demon of excrement seems to wait in your bowels until you wake up in the morning, then proceeds to make you retch in its awful stinkiness,

and trust me the AGB, isnt solely a figment of my imaginiation, many people suffer trhe infamous AGB

it feels like your passing the most smelliest brick known to man
and i do mean brick, its that hard

now i want some kfc and a kebab

Alco Engineer
07-09-2005, 02:51
YES!! The AGB is a killer. Good to see other Aussies at least are helping to spread the warnings and knowledge of such a foul creation.

He Who Laughs
07-09-2005, 04:52
After Grog Bog

Gratuitous mash-up of "Dogma" quote:

"It's the After-Grog-Bog!"
"A what?"
"An Excremental, from the plains of Hell"
"A WHAT??!"
"It's a ***** daemon!!" :evilgrin:

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 08:49
The alcohol has caused me to have a hangover... so I'm going to...drink... more..alcohol?

It makes the hangover to go away - for a while.

McMullet
07-09-2005, 09:43
If I downed plenty of water before turning in, I find the trip to the toilet is a very quick and simple affair. The sweet blessed relief of evacuation more than outweighs the bad smell, and I never have "bricky" problems.

I think pure OJ is a bit acidic, I normally water it down 50-50 with fizzy water.

Vaya
07-09-2005, 10:48
The After GRog Bog, or simply beer-*****, can be stopped in it's tracks by a large consumption of bananas and/or white bread. Everything that stalls your intestines basically.

Not to be recommended though: it's better to have it out quickly than to digest all that crap.

Wiseman
07-09-2005, 11:15
i always have a gatorade after a night out, it seems to make me feel alot better

Ravening Wh0re
07-09-2005, 11:56
Never understood this.
I've never understood Bloody Mary's to begin with, but yeah, does that work?:eyebrows:

Yeah it works. Try it. I'm not sure why though, although the alc help alleviate you head problems, the tobasco lets you sweat out the toxins, and the tomato juice has the vitamins and moisture you need. cellery is optional :)

Kaaijer
07-09-2005, 13:38
Whenever I'm pissed and get home, I always drink a large glass of hot milk before hitting the sack. That's right, hot milk.

I start the day after with a glass of tomato juice and a heavy breakfast, and never suffer from anything close to a hangover.

I informed my friends of this custom and they claim it worked for them as good as it does for me...

Jaq Draco
07-09-2005, 13:40
a **** demon in response to the AGB is an understatement

its a bricky **** demon from the 8th circle of hell

back on track

had kfc today quite happy

why is grease such an effective hangover cure