PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about geeks and nerds?

Piku
06-09-2005, 13:08
Don't worry I think its satire. Unless its scathing vitriol, either way.
clickety (http://homestarrunner.com/trogdorcon.html)

The pestilent 1
06-09-2005, 13:23
oh look.
an internet comic makes fun of geeks and nerds. :rolleyes:
i really do hope its sattire.

Piku
06-09-2005, 14:26
Ah, don't worry yourself none The pestilent 1, they're friendlies. (Are we an oppressed minority?)
Check out the rest of the site, its pretty damned funny. sbemails.
Anyway, I think the creators just got back from promoting at dragon con. Hence trogdor con.

Luke
06-09-2005, 14:32
hey! homestar runner kicks ass. i recomend the strong bad emails, but only from number 20 onwards.....

on he subject of geeks and nerds, well i am a nerd, though i dont think i am smart enough to qualify as a geek. i mean i love nerd-stuff like wargaming and comics and 80's cartoons and toys :D (TF RULES!) but i couldnt for example tell you einsteins theory of reletivity or anything like that.

tzeentchgiant
06-09-2005, 14:38
Nice animation, seen similar before, but still entertaining, and Luke you are a geek, a nerd is a smart geek.

At least that is what I have always been told.

Also, I be a geek verging on nerd, but only in some ways, computers still baffle me.

TG

Luke
06-09-2005, 14:43
can someone explain the differences please. im far to dumb to figure it out.

i always thought a geek was smarter.

vforvenator
06-09-2005, 14:57
As I understand, a nerd is intelligent and/or knowledgeable about one or more subject in particular, but is often naive, shy or nervous and sexually inexperienced, but despite all of which may be generally friendly as in polite, courteous etc.
A geek would be different - having knowledge of usually just one subject but narrow views with it, and being socially inept, rude, boorish and condescending to anyone who knows less about their pet obsession than themselves, which is most people. Also lacking in manners and/or personal hygiene, spending as they do most of the time with a computer/whatever, or few people just as obnoxious as they are.
Having first hand experience of both, a nerd is far preferable to be around.

Luke
06-09-2005, 15:04
hmmm, well in that case i wouldnt consider myself as either. im not smart, then again im not naive enough to qualify as a nerd. but im not cool enough....wait. i ride a racing bike, body build and *cough do drugs cough* YET i still enjoy the nerdier aspects of my life.

The pestilent 1
06-09-2005, 15:07
ah but i still bet you know that colour as Teal dontyou :p
i probably qaulify as a geek/nerd Hybrid.
a gnerd maybe?

Luke
06-09-2005, 15:10
ah but i still bet you know that colour as Teal

is that at me? is it about my bike? my lovely luminous red, white blue AND teal bike :D god bless honda's colour blind designers...

The pestilent 1
06-09-2005, 15:11
yes. bless their colourblinded..ness.
Teal, a wonderfully misunderstood colour.
like Vomit brown.
and Pea green.

Luke
06-09-2005, 15:13
heh or the dreaded beige........ lovely 1970's beige and brown medleys. very cool.

Vaya
06-09-2005, 15:23
a gnerd maybe?

I like the sound of 'neek' better.

People always think I'm pretty cool when they first meet me. But if they know me longer than three months and find out I'm into wargames, sci-fi and fantasy novels, computer games and what not, that opinion gets altered a bit.

It surprises me still that my girlfriend has been with me for over four years. :D

The pestilent 1
06-09-2005, 15:32
Hmmm Neek. i like it :D
though im dont perfectly match either, ladies seem to find me confident and strong willed.
im actually Narcisistic and Egotystical :rolleyes: :p

ironduke
06-09-2005, 15:47
Neek fits perfectly because its normally what sound that girls make when they see us NEEEEEKKK!!!! :)

Luke
06-09-2005, 17:07
hey man! im a buff biker! girls dont say anything, they just blush and pretend like theyre not looking *head inflates* :D

Vaya
06-09-2005, 18:30
Hmm, suddenly I have Monty Python mental pictures of knights saying 'neek' in stead of 'ni'...

ironduke
07-09-2005, 08:42
I think we should have our own category the way this is going. Maybe just sad...lol :)