PDA

View Full Version : A question for those in the know

Biggles
20-10-2007, 21:28
Today I was looking through the new White Dwarf and found yet another mistake, so I thought I'd finally get round to asking someone who may know.
Does GW have a proof reader at all?

Crube
20-10-2007, 21:40
Would this be the error of printing an entire page in Spanish...

As for proof reading, I believe they do it in house, but not through a dedicated position - (I may be wrong though...)

Patriarch
20-10-2007, 23:08
Looks more like Italian to me.

Lord Damocles
20-10-2007, 23:18
I suspect its done in-house. Probably by the same fool that writes the FAQs:mad:

jb85
20-10-2007, 23:42
Having been involved in a fair bit of proof reading you would be genuinely surprised at what can slip through the net at times. As for the error in WD, I would suspect it occurred after the proof reading you are thinking of i.e. a mix up when the electronic copy was sent to be printed.

synapse
21-10-2007, 11:21
lol? seriously? a whole page in spanish? i have to see that? :p

Wildkard
22-10-2007, 18:07
Yes...made me chuckle somewhat, at least it was only a painting page, and nothing more major! :D

theunwantedbeing
22-10-2007, 18:34
A printing error will obviously have happened after the proof reader has been through it.
It'll be a mix up in the files as to how they sort it all and one page managed to turn up in the wrong language.

Like the postman picking up the 5 letters for you and there being a 6th underneath that he doesnt see.

Fairly sure GW does have a proof reader, although I dont think they are seperate from the company and so cause things like poor wordings as they understand fine but somebody who doesnt understand the intent would get confused about.

They could do with a dedicated proof reader, that or simply creating a sort of glossary or terms that they use to create the books and rules from.
So instead of writing out each new rule they simply copy + paste from the glossary remving any ambiguity from different writers liking using different ways of saying things.

eg.
"ranged attacks"
"missle weapons"

That sort of thing.

iseeleadpeople
22-10-2007, 22:06
good job my girlfriends spanish!

floyd pinkerton
22-10-2007, 22:49
lol, and I pay for this crap...:)

ICEMANQ
23-10-2007, 04:59
That's pretty damn slack for a company of GW's size. Even my uni student rag doesn't accidentally print whole pages in foreign languages :p

blongbling
23-10-2007, 08:55
but then your local uni rag doesnt print in seven languages...i understand that this was a cock up at the printing stage and not at the proof reading stage...GW does have a glossary as well as a full time editorial team who proof read the articles

andyfair
23-10-2007, 08:56
Most fiction and non fiction books published have far more typographical errors than WD.

Mahwell Skel
23-10-2007, 09:44
You want to see the Epic Armageddon rulebook. It is litttteerred with mistaks.

fwacho
23-10-2007, 10:01
I'm an author. Proof reading is fallibale. It took me ten plus passes with nearly 6 other peoples help to get 99% of the errors out of my novel. that includes a proffesional editor who missed nearly 60 after I Had been through it quite a few times. It is nigh imposible to get a perfect book. I regularly catch mistakes in published works. Even a good proof reader will miss stuff.

as far as the Italian page goes... each page is converted into a photocopy. that photocopy is then printed. (very differnt from pritning out your term paper.) what likely happened is some new guy goofed on the file name of teh page and sent the wrong one. Generally once it's sent ot the printers it's too late to fix. I have stories.

Don't bash em. mistakes happen.

Mahwell Skel
23-10-2007, 10:31
I just wonder if they employ someone to do it who has no interest. It might be cheaper to dish it out to 5 fanboys who will pour over it memorising it by heart (for free ;)) rather than someone who will say "yes did some proof reading, it made no sense whatsoever, something about orks?orcs? and lasers?lazers? also a load of bad grammar and typos war boss? warboss?"

IJW
23-10-2007, 11:30
as far as the Italian page goes... each page is converted into a photocopy. that photocopy is then printed.
Each page is converted into a PDF (and I don't mean Planetary Defence Force ;)). No photocopying involved...

Lord Damocles
23-10-2007, 18:47
At least the free language lesson is the only typo that I've noticed this month.

Theres usually several:(

RobC
23-10-2007, 20:13
I just wonder if they employ someone to do it who has no interest. It might be cheaper to dish it out to 5 fanboys who will pour over it memorising it by heart (for free ;)) rather than someone who will say "yes did some proof reading, it made no sense whatsoever, something about orks?orcs? and lasers?lazers? also a load of bad grammar and typos war boss? warboss?"Aren't you assuming quite a lot there?

First: how do you know whether these hypothetical '5 fanboys' know what they're talking about? Is their English up to scratch? Are they familiar with publishing terms? Will they actually pay attention to the detail rather than get excited over the content? Will they deliver on time?

Second: you're doing a massive disservice to professional editors and proofreaders in your statement. Many, like myself, work freelance, and the last thing a freelancer does is intentionally do a half-arsed job, because it's as very good way to lose a client. Odd and unfamiliar words are recorded on style sheets and checked against house style or cross-referenced with dictionaries. And that's assuming the editor/proofreader isn't familiar with the material.

As someone else pointed out, an entire page of another magazine being included is not the kind of thing a proofreader would miss; it's most likely an error that has occurred at either layout or printing stages. Designers are notorious for not reading the words (understandable if frustrating at times), and the less said about printers the better... but mistakes happen. Don't shoot the potboy because 1 of the 1,000 glasses he washed had a dirty mark on it.

fwacho
24-10-2007, 05:57
Each page is converted into a PDF (and I don't mean Planetary Defence Force ;)). No photocopying involved...

sorry.. I was trying to be simple. i should have said .. "effectively a photocopy." not "photocopy". but thanks for the correction.

Mahwell Skel
24-10-2007, 09:02
Aren't you assuming quite a lot there?

First: how do you know whether these hypothetical '5 fanboys' know what they're talking about? Is their English up to scratch? Are they familiar with publishing terms? Will they actually pay attention to the detail rather than get excited over the content? Will they deliver on time?

Second: you're doing a massive disservice to professional editors and proofreaders in your statement. Many, like myself, work freelance, and the last thing a freelancer does is intentionally do a half-arsed job, because it's as very good way to lose a client. Odd and unfamiliar words are recorded on style sheets and checked against house style or cross-referenced with dictionaries. And that's assuming the editor/proofreader isn't familiar with the material.

As someone else pointed out, an entire page of another magazine being included is not the kind of thing a proofreader would miss; it's most likely an error that has occurred at either layout or printing stages. Designers are notorious for not reading the words (understandable if frustrating at times), and the less said about printers the better... but mistakes happen. Don't shoot the potboy because 1 of the 1,000 glasses he washed had a dirty mark on it.

Ok sorry, I see I know nothing about proof reading and I see now there is alot more to it than reading the thing with a red pen putting circles round the errors!

Biggles
24-10-2007, 14:03
Actually, it was noticing something else as well which prompted me to post the start of the thread

sheck2
24-10-2007, 15:43
That's pretty damn slack for a company of GW's size. Even my uni student rag doesn't accidentally print whole pages in foreign languages :p

But do they farm the printing out? What's the cost to destroy the bad copies and make new ones? The timing?

There are a lot of places this type of mistake can happen.

GW writes/creates mag. - that gets finalized - that gets sent to printer OR printers - (possible re-editing) - printer prints - discovery of error (GW is NOT reviewing this part as it is printer's responsibility) - scrap run? - can printer re-print and get out in time...

Ethlorien
24-10-2007, 18:26
Speaking of mistakes... Did anyone notice the HE RBT on page 169 of the WRB? The crewman on the left is actually holding the right-side lever. He must have torn it off in frustration, I know, but just thought it looked kinda funny. Course, my wife just thinks I have too much time on my hands to have noticed this in the first place...