PDA

View Full Version : Well that was random!

Xhalax
06-09-2005, 14:04
Has anyone ever come up to you and said/commented on something rather random for no real reason?

Or has anything random and unexpected happened to you that made you go 'Ok, that was a bit random'?

It's happened to me twice today.

1. I was sitting on the Metro, going into Newcastle and there was a little old lady sitting next to me. I was sitting with my legs crosses and my foot bobbing to what I was listening to (I was listening to something on my mp3 player).
The about 10 minutes into the journey, the little old women sitting next to me got my attention and said:

'Its not very often you see a girl wearing heavy boots.'

I was wearing my New Rocks and that was all she said.
Very random.

2. I went into Forbidden Planet and notice a policeman standing in the shop. So with a raised eyebrow I went further into the shop, only to find his partner in the process of buying a metal replica light sabre.

Interesting new direction the police force is going for in their law enforcement techniques.

Luke
06-09-2005, 14:17
random stuff. well i was at work one day, just hauling some sacks of potatoes into the shop when a short fat old dude in a cheap suit and bow tie stopped me and told me he had the power to see into the future. he spent a half hour telling me how he could forsee the moon landings and that aliens were coming and how he was responsible for the advancement of western civilization.

oh, and his words of wisdom for making our shop more profitable? "you should sell your own watercress"

toss pot

Wisdom
06-09-2005, 14:17
'Its not very often you see a girl wearing heavy boots.'

Are you a girl or a lad with long hair? Cause I could see this being pretty funny if you're a lad

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:22
There has been many occasions in my life where this has happened. Strangely enough most of them came from my mate so i just generally ignore him and try and get him drunk because his comments are pure logic and genius then.

Snoozer
06-09-2005, 14:25
I was in Oulu with my friends (not so long ago) and we were sitting on a bench in the park, and this group of people go by and one of them turns around and say's "nice sideburns", I took it as a compliment as he had pretty sweet sideburn himself :p, but it was still a little odd

And yesterday a old woman started talking about her high cholesterol, and how the doctor hade told her not to eat too much sweets, ok this was not as random because we were both picking up candy, but still old people rarely talk to me (must be because of the sideburns, facial hair is the evil :evilgrin: :eyebrows: )

:D

Marty D
06-09-2005, 14:30
but forbidden planet in town is always full of strange randomness

and alot of pokemon cards

plus - i think the old lady's comments were pretty accuarate if not incredibly random, maybe she was jealous of your boots - you should have offered to let her try them on

and my student job at morrisons in killingworth puts me in close proximity to strange randomness at strange times

near 10pm on a friday night must be random hour

nurgle_boy
06-09-2005, 14:40
after accidently dropping my heavy case on an old womans foot, and her turning around, smiling, and thanking me... :wtf:

Luke
06-09-2005, 14:42
lol. "thank you dear! for smahing my foot bones! im old you know, thats gonna take about 3 months to heal!"

one time in GW, this rough looking random fella just came into the store and came up to me. he was as high as a kite nad had just wondered in to the store. He seemed enchanted by the painted pretty models. i got into a stoned converstaion with him about how cool "green dudes" were.

Gaebriel
06-09-2005, 14:42
2. I went into Forbidden Planet and notice a policeman standing in the shop. So with a raised eyebrow I went further into the shop, only to find his partner in the process of buying a metal replica light sabre.Much more interesting is the question, what you bought... - Count this as a random question... :D

McMullet
06-09-2005, 14:47
I was walking up a little high street in a rural Scottish town (Keith), and a bloke stopped me and asked if I was from New Zealand. I was carrying a big stick (walking stick/quarterstaff) and he thought I must've been using it to check for snakes. :wtf: Ergo I was a Kiwi...

Xhalax
06-09-2005, 14:55
Are you a girl or a lad with long hair? Cause I could see this being pretty funny if you're a lad

Lamentably it's not as funny as I am of the female persuasion.

Maybe she was jealous of my boots...but I couldn't imagine her wearing them...i don't think she;d be able to lift her feet.

And I didn't buy anything In Forbidden Planet. All the nice stuff like the replicas are all way too expensive.
But it's not every day to see Policeman buying light sabres.

Reinnon
06-09-2005, 15:08
this happened today infact.

me and my firend were walking out of the classroom and the teacher yells "watch your cleavage boys!".

that was a very strange :wtf: moment

Vaya
06-09-2005, 15:17
I tend to wear shirts with band logo's and names on them. And you wouldn't belive how often people approach me in the street and greet me, because I wear a shirt of the band they like.

It even happened once that someone said "Hey, you know them too? They're pretty good!" I looked down and realised I was wearing a shirt of my own band. And back then, we were everything BUT pretty good. :D

Luke
06-09-2005, 15:19
my motorbike jacket is a classic 1990 lucky strike motogp replica. as a result my shoulders look massive. completey randomly one day whilst walking through a shopping centre, a little old woman came up to me and said "your shoulders are very broad dear" then walked off again!

Adept
06-09-2005, 15:25
I was walking up a little high street in a rural Scottish town (Keith), and a bloke stopped me and asked if I was from New Zealand. I was carrying a big stick (walking stick/quarterstaff) and he thought I must've been using it to check for snakes. :wtf: Ergo I was a Kiwi...

It gets wierder: There are no snakes in New Zealand...

Vaya
06-09-2005, 15:29

Except of course for the monstrous, three headed ones Hercules always fights.

...and I'm starting to notice a trend with all the old ladies speaking to you guys.

McMullet
06-09-2005, 15:50

OK, that makes it about 10^15 times odder. I assumed the guy was well acquainted with New Zealand and it's inhabitants to have said that. He did strike me as the alcoholic ditch-sleeping type though.

I was also wearing a large Aussie/New Zealand style oilskin hat, which he didn't even mention.

Marty D
06-09-2005, 16:00
dont old people have the right to be strange? they've lived here long enough - hell as far as im concered they can do anything they like.

on an episode of 'teachers' an old guy was smoking pot in his little pipe and no-one said anything - good on you old folks! be wierd and proud!

and xhalax - the replicas are pretty good in forbidden planet, but ask for something in particular (of any kind) and they tell you its out of print/ stock.

i asked for like 7 things and they were all a no-go, especially predator related items

Son of Morkai
06-09-2005, 18:12
Are you a girl or a lad with long hair? Cause I could see this being pretty funny if you're a ladIt's not really all that funny for men to be mistaken for women. It's just far too common. Hardly a week goes by without someone addressing me as "miss." Yeah, I have very long hair, but I also have a beard...

"Funny" is when they correct themselves and I start screaming about discrimination against bearded women.

Cade
06-09-2005, 18:51
Stuff like that happens all the time in Edinburgh.
People who live in the city treat other residents like a mate and you'll find yourself having conversations with people who are standing at your bus stop on an almost daily basis.

Vaya
06-09-2005, 18:54
Hey, you have those people here too! But usually all they talk about is money, and they smell pretty bad. ;)

Thud
06-09-2005, 19:08
I was sitting on a bench in the vicinity of one of my city's tourist attractions (Fløyen) reading a newspaper on a sunny Saturday. Up to me comes a man around his fifties asking me if I'm local. Yeah, I am. So, after a little shallow conversation on the weather, pretty girls etc he asks me if I want coffee and rolls. So yeah, I say. He runs along and comes right back with rolls and coffee. So we sit around talking about all kinds of stuff including communism, some passer by's top and how much Germans rock.

Another time I'm at the pub with my ex (we still get along rather good) and some of her friends. After a few pints I'm broke, so I just sit about while they're drinking on. Then some old guy comes up, who apparently knows one of her friends and asks if he can sit at our table. Sure. He's probably in his late fourties, black hair with grey spots around the ears. Looks like someone who might be spending a little too much time at the pub if you get my drift... As he notices I'm not drinking, he asks if I'm not drinking in the way one might when one really means to ask why. I say I'm broke, and he goes up to the bar and buys me a pint without any further reason. All right. So, I'm a pretty fast drinker. Pints have a tendency of being consumed very quickly when I'm around. So, he asks me if I want another, and the gentleman as I am, I politely point out that such would not be necessary but the sentiment is appreciated. He, apparently, does not agree and gets me another. And another. And another. And in total I go home with ten pints within (including the two I bought myself) feeling pretty good about the turn of events. :)

Old dudes love me.

Vaya
06-09-2005, 19:20
There! Old people again! Okay, this time not that old, and male, but still: :wtf:

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 20:27
One of the guys I work with just suddenly piped up today, at an account that was on his screen "Hey I used to go to school with her brother".

Shinobi
06-09-2005, 20:33
I saw this picture...

http://www.ic-gallery.com/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=1

Sgt John Keel
06-09-2005, 21:16
Well, last friday our gaming club held a meeting in our city park. We had gone and bought some crisps to take with us, and when we were walking along the road a pair of drunk guys ask us if we've got any fire, we answered no, and he then proceeded to ask if he could have some crisps.

Anyway, about an hour or two later, the meeting is over, and I and three of my friends have went out of the park and sits on a bench discussing Vampire the Requiem, the same guy comes up and tell us 'You look like fags/gays. Are you?'

I don't think he'd recognized us either, as we had our backs towards him, so he couldn't possibly have known how we looked.

That was quite unexpected if you ask me. My answer was 'Well, if you say so.' Then my friends proceed to blame me that I emit a gay aura. :p

For the record, none of us is homosexual.

/Adrian

Crux
06-09-2005, 21:18
Well, the other day, me and a few mates were in a subway station, waiting for a train. We had just been at a roleplay session, and we were discussing it. One of us had had a duel in it, and while we were discussing it, this old man comes up to us, he looks just like any other man in his early sixties, and starts talking:

Guys... you shouldn't fight, look at what happens to all the big guys... [we thought he was talking about body builders at the time], like Mussolini, and Hitler...

Y'all support Djurgården [local sports team], I hope?

:wtf:

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
06-09-2005, 21:29
My dad.... he just got me a laptop, and told me he saw a nice mercedes c230 kompressor for sale that i should get (for my first car...)

de Selby
06-09-2005, 21:35
Keep an eye on old people. As Jaques Peretti said, they have nothing to lose. Plus, they have skills honed in wartime.

First random incident that comes to mind; walking back home one evening (6.30ish) along a near deserted street, I encounter a well dressed fat bloke who bursts into song (opera singing, good and very loud) as I pass. I still don't quite know what to make of it, and it was several years ago now. Other than that, just the usual things occasioned by public drunkeness and insanity.

All police officers should be armed with lightsabers.

Xhalax
06-09-2005, 22:38
Yes...old people are quite strange.

Last year, while I was in America....we (the girl I went out there with as we were out there doing work for university) ended up being taken to dinner and given free passes for some tourist attraction in San Fransico but some random old guy on the bus.
We were on our way into Monterey and he got on a sat on the seat in front of us and started talking to us.
Well talking to the girl I was with as, per usual I only spoke the bare minimum number of words needed to seem polite to a total stranger.

So he was going to Monterey too....and ended up inviting us for lunch. So not to see impolite, we accepted. Well the other girl did, I just kinda shrugged at her and left the decision making up to her.

So we ended up eating Mexican food with an almost complete stranger and he paid for everything. Thankfully, there wasn't much on the menu i liked as I would have felt even worse ordering something big (I felt bad anyway coz I don't do well around people I don't know and I have an extreme urge to run away and not talk to people).

And towards the end of our meal, he looked up at me.....probably coz I hardly said more than two words the whole time (as I said, I don't do well around total strangers), and said:

'Are they guns on your T-shirt?'

And in response I merely said 'Yup, they're bolt pistols' and went back to my food.....I was wearing my Warp Artefacts T-shirt with the 3 Bolt Pistols on at the time.

So after food we went for a walk into the centre of Monterey, he took our pictures (which I wasn't happy about but grinned painfully and bore it) and he went away.

And I blame this all on the girl I was with and being so pretty and chatty. And it was much scarier than the time we wondered into a well known by the locals drug dealing area on my 'clever' idea......at least the young lad who spotted us and showed us into town wasn't old and creepy....and left us when we were ok and on the right track.

Some strange things happened while we were in America. Including not being in the country more than 10 minutes and being offered a life by a woman and her kids, if only we'd been going in the right direction.

Thankfully, as always I was over looked by all due to being accompanied by someone who's taller, skinnier and prettier than you are and dressed in 'fashionable' clothes. That and I give people dirty looks.....not intentionally (well not all the time) but it keeps people away.

And yes, all police officers should have light sabres. But that would make me want to join the police force and I'm nowhere near fit enough for that sort of thing.

Lord Balor
06-09-2005, 22:45
Early one morning i was waiting alone at the bus stop when a middle aged woman turns the corner and says "Josh, there you are" and comes running up to me with her arms out. When she gets close enough to realise i'm not who she thinks i am, she puts her arms down and keeps running past without saying anything. That was the beginning of a very very odd day...

Luke
06-09-2005, 22:48
i work in a shop and its always the old dudes who spark up random conversations as they are paying for stuff at the till. and im just an ignornant young bloke.

Mrs Miggins: "im just down here visiting my daughter in laws ex-dogs babies shoebox"
Luke: "oh right? that sounds really interesting, where abouts are you?"
Mrs Miggins: "Norfolk"

hmm, makes sense..........

bleh, want my advice, dont ever get a job in retail! ive done some lame jobs before but nothing compares to the random crappy hell bored-ass downer that is: selling crap to folks with more money than sense.

im sorry , im wondering off on a seperate thing here.

random. something random happend the other day when i was grooving. wish i could remeber what it was, it was well random. very strange, it was like an epiphany almost. damn, what was it?

we were all like "NO WAY!" it was superb, i'll have to try and remember what it was.

Xhalax
06-09-2005, 22:59
bleh, want my advice, dont ever get a job in retail! ive done some lame jobs before but nothing compares to the random crappy hell bored-ass downer that is: selling crap to folks with more money than sense.

I second that....although retail is the only job I've done so far and I'd happily never work with the general public again, if I had the chance. And it's even worse when you're serving people food.

Plus, no matter what you say...old people usually know someone who's the same, or had/has or done the exact same thing you may have. Always tempted to say something ridiculous to see if I can sucker any of them in....but in truth I'm just too nice.
And terrified into saying anything......as I said before, I don't do well around strangers.

And although I've never been mistaken for someone else, like Balor...I know there's a fair few people who have said they've seen someone who looks like my exact double.
I think it was either 3 or 4 at the last count......poor suckers!

Crux
07-09-2005, 01:16
That was the beginning of a very very odd day...

Care to expand on that? :p

Makaber
07-09-2005, 01:30
That cop and lightsaber bit reminds me of Futurama.

Once, I was at a bar, and this gorgeous girl I've never seen in my entire life comes over, sits in my lap, and starts feeding me candy. It's true.

At a new years eve party in some random apartment, I went out in the hall to say bye to someone, and a police woman walks up and tells me to leave. "But I'm not even that drunk!" I lied. "Allright", she says and leave.

My bud Jo and me were out playing when we were kids, up at the park surrounding one of the many churches in the city. A dude was standing in front of the church gates, leaning towards the door with his forehead. He stood there for maybe half an hour, then suddenly a black car pulls out, two men in black suits emerge from it, grabs the man gently by the arms, and lead him into the vehicle, which then drives away quickly.

Marty D
07-09-2005, 12:12
meh - retail is a laugh

it gives me a chance to be random to other people,

they've never met you before and have no idea who you are so you might as well act strange - it makes for an entertaining shift

everybody should be more random all the time

Wiseman
07-09-2005, 12:18
my friend the other day for no reason just started screaming, was very random indeed, until we found a spider crawling across her neck, then it was very funny and very random

Adept
07-09-2005, 12:55
Two random things. Both in the CBD of Melbourne.

1 - My sister and I come across a guy standing in front of a shoe store, screaming at it. Not words, just loud "AAARGH!" style screaming. Non stop. We never did work out if it was some kind of artistic expresion of contempt for our consumerist society, or if he just didn't like shoes.

2 - A well groomed guy in a business suit gets off a tram, walks to the footpath, gets on his hands and knees and begins to emit a high pitched squeel. He bucks and shakes like a dog ******** razor blades, squeeling all the while, for about ten minutes. Then he gets up, dusts himself off and walks away as if nothing had happened.

Oh, and another I saw in Seattle a few years back: Two guys get into a fight onthe sidewalk at about lunchtime. One of them takes of his shirt. The shirtless guy is then pushed onto the road, into the path of traffic. A guy in a 4WD (SUV) brakes hard to miss him, then hits the horn. The shirtless guy then climbs on top of the car, and starts jumping up and down doing a monkey impression. After about ten seconds of this, he sits down and lights a smoke. The guy driving the car then takes off, with his shirtless passenger sitting on top hanging on for grim death. They disappear around a corner before the scenario resolves itself.

Samoth
07-09-2005, 17:46
ROFLMYAO!!! Someone should gather the more humorous snippets of this thread and sell them as a pickmeup.

Xhalax
07-09-2005, 19:58
That cop and lightsaber bit reminds me of Futurama.

Oh yeah! Classy.

As for taking the more humorous parts of this thread so far and selling them....sounds almost inspired since we all love a laugh from other people's misfortune.