PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse and GT's

MrGarm13
21-10-2007, 08:50
Aside from local Hobby shops, would GW host a GT for Apocalypse?

Thanks for the comments.

Hulkster
21-10-2007, 09:21
No

the point of apoc is for pure fun, not making an uber killy army for the win

again i reiterate

NO

Art Is Resistance
21-10-2007, 09:54
As the Hulkster says - no.

Apocalypse is the 'flipside' to GT's and the like - no rigid force orgs, lots of 'counts as' options etc. is completely antithetical to tournament play.

Killgore
21-10-2007, 10:00
counter argument could be that anouth people would want a 3000point apoc tourney, as some peoples idea of fun is making the most competative apoc army, of course there might be restrictions to what races you could choose to go with X race or keep it all one army but hey, thats up to the organisers to worry about.

Sister_Sin
21-10-2007, 12:44
Not for tournament play in that venue. Nothing would stop private organizers from having a go, but the expansion isn't meant for tournament play. In my own opinion, running Apocalypse as a tournament would siphon all the fun right out of it.

One reason I love Apocalypse so much is the very fact that it is antithetical to tournament style play. My two bits.

Sister Sin

oneman
21-10-2007, 12:51
I dare say they'll do campaign week-ends rather than tournies,which is a good thing.

A min-max cookie-cutter army is bad enough at 1500pts but at 5000 it's vomit inducing.

I want figures,fun and fatalities-as much as possible of all of them!

Grazzy
21-10-2007, 13:45
oneman is right. No tournies because people would bring the most ridiculous armies. Campaign weekends would be good. They could introduce a 30% troops rule or something to ensure there was something other than elites, fast attack and heavy.

Brother Loki
21-10-2007, 15:19
Apocalypse is already starting to be incorporated into campaigns, like the Age of Heresy one on Bell of Lost Souls, and the new Tempus Fugitives ones at Warhammer world. A massive apocalypse game makes the ideal climax to a campaign (such as the siege of the Emperor's palace fro example).

The strength of the system is its freedom and flexibility, but those very things make it poorly suited to competitive tournaments.

leonmallett
21-10-2007, 15:24
Campaign weekends yes, tournaments no. I am a GT fan, but Apocalypse does not suit that competitive environment as others have said. In addition the logicatical issues would prove difficult to manage (leaving games in situ securely for breaks, for example).

natedogg710
21-10-2007, 16:39
No, I don't think GW will have an Apocalypse GT. As others have said, Apocalypse is meant for fun, not tournaments. It is so easy to abuse if all you want to do is win, so I don't see it happening.

CommisarMolotov
21-10-2007, 16:43
A tournament with no FOC? Wow. I'd love to see it, just for the uber-cheese armies that would show up...

cerealkiller195
21-10-2007, 16:48
gt's dont have cities of death rules they defintely will not have apoc rules.

Cry of the Wind
21-10-2007, 17:02
Darn, I wanted to see the reaction to 3000pts of Deep Striking Carnifexes...:p:rolleyes:

Stuff like the above is why you shouldn't see Apoc tournies. The only thing I could see holding people back is it costs a lot more money to make a cheesy Apoc army compared to normal 40k and you'll never be able to use it anywhere else.

There is a store near me that is having a Apoc Mega Game that is giving out Hall of Heroes points (normally only given in tournaments here in Canada), so I'm wondering what that is going to be all about.

MrGarm13
23-10-2007, 06:01
A tournament with no FOC? Wow. I'd love to see it, just for the uber-cheese armies that would show up...

"I'm playing Necrons in any tournament that comes up." Local Grey Knight player in regards to Monolith's special rules in Apoc.

That quote is what had me wondering if anything sponsered by GW would have Apoc rules.

Kulgur
23-10-2007, 06:58
No.
Just....no...
Apocalypse is the opposite end of the scale to GTs, it would be like Dark Eldar suddenly getting terminators, utterly inappropriate.

Sureshot05
23-10-2007, 09:53
No.
Just....no...
Apocalypse is the opposite end of the scale to GTs, it would be like Dark Eldar suddenly getting terminators, utterly inappropriate.

Given the apoc ruleset, it would be completely possible as well.

Completely agree, apoc is best kept out of tournaments and left between friends (like it hints on pretty much every page in the book).

Earthbeard
23-10-2007, 10:30
No

the point of apoc is for pure fun, not making an uber killy army for the win

again i reiterate

NO

QFT...

(cursed min word nonsense)

Rogue 7
23-10-2007, 16:05
I just had an idea- a bracket-style tournament, instead of the round-robin they do now. Losers are divided into teams and go play a game of apocalypse. Starts out fairly modestly sized, ends absolutely massively.

de Selby
23-10-2007, 16:13
That's rather an interesting idea, Rogue 7. The individual 1500 point lists would be 'competitive' but the jumbo-combi-armies would be highly eclectic and also reasonably balanced. With enough players, formations could be made up on an ad hoc basis, but you'd be missing superheavies etc.

edit: there's the time issue of course. But you might be able to work out a system whereby one apoc games runs continuously throughout and armies come on from reserve as they get knocked out of the tournament.

Galatan
23-10-2007, 16:14
It will never happen. The cheese will be so bad it will smell even worse than a cheese store and the huge amount of time 1 apoc battle needs will make it all but impossible. You will need half a week just to get enough results to determine a winner. Club tournie is possible (with teams for example),b ut not more than that.

Cheers,
Galatan

Dicey
23-10-2007, 16:18
In my mind the biggest problem for a Apoc tourney would be time, the games take longer and as such you would need ages to play a 6 game tourney. Leagues maybe but they are awful to run as people tend to lose interest if they are at the bottom of the league