PDA

View Full Version : mechanised

sagittar slaith
21-10-2007, 11:57
in apocalypse, is a mechanised IG army a good idea, or will it fail completely. just asking 'cos painting 300pts of IG infantry *shudder* really doesnt appeal to me

Lord Damocles
21-10-2007, 12:12
Deployment wise, its certainly a good idea. Rather than deploying 300 grunts, you slap down 30 chimeras, and so are done in a fraction of the time.:)

Bunnahabhain
21-10-2007, 12:42
Mechanised is at it's best in high points value, non apocolypse battles, that have both of you sticking to one FOC. Lots of enemies simply run out of things to spend points on, but if you go mechanised, and then just take sensible doctrines, weapons, upgrades etc, you get a balanced, fluffy army of about 10,000pts, in one FOC, with about 50 tanks and APCs in it. (with maxed out upgrades, it gets to 22,000) The opposition don't have enough places to take heavy weapons to deal with it, unless they're also Guard.

In Apocolypse, it will also be good, as it makes deployment easier, but it will die much faster than in standard 40k.

stecal
21-10-2007, 14:00
Surprisingly, so far in 2 Apoc games no one has even bothered to shoot at my Chimeras unless there is no other target in LOS. There are just too many nastly things - tanks, baneblades, monstrous creatures, piles of terminators that demand lascannon attention to worry about the threat of a measly 6 shots from HB/ML.

greenmtvince
22-10-2007, 00:48
Although, I'd say if painting 300 points of IG infantry doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't be playing IG. No matter how you slice it, you'll have to paint 200 points worth of IG infantry to have a legal army, and probably over 500 to have anything resembling a fraction of a viable one.

srgt. gak
22-10-2007, 02:18
know matter how you slice it you need to have track guards.It doesnt appeal to anyone to have something imoblize every tank you have. And yes painting tons of ig infantry is not appealing, but having tons of ig is indeed a beautiful thing indeed. its quite a moral buster for your average player. Then again so is a bunch of vanquisher turrets.

Hulkster
22-10-2007, 07:31
Although, I'd say if painting 300 points of IG infantry doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't be playing IG. No matter how you slice it, you'll have to paint 200 points worth of IG infantry to have a legal army, and probably over 500 to have anything resembling a fraction of a viable one.

he clearly meant 3000pts

it was just a typo

Vaktathi
22-10-2007, 07:37
Mechanized Guard works better in larger games, and nobody wants to waste all their cool huge guns on Chimera's, so they should stick around for awhile. I havent tried it myself yet, but hopefully within a couple weeks I'll play an Apoc game with my Guard and see exactly how it works.

greenmtvince
22-10-2007, 13:29
he clearly meant 3000pts

it was just a typo

Oh, right. I failed to notice that it was in the context of apocalypse. Silly me! :p

Hulkster
22-10-2007, 14:40
Oh, right. I failed to notice that it was in the context of apocalypse. Silly me! :p

no problems, tbh reading it again i came over a little harsh so i apologise

anyway back to the topic, mechanized will work brilliantly in apoc, i am building a force based around infantry and artillary so I dont really feel like you I am afraid

kanluwen
22-10-2007, 15:44
Actually, I was just pondering this very thing today.
What occured to me is what I'm calling the "Spearhead".
Command Platoon with the barebones requirements, (mostly Sentinels, 2 mortar squads, and 2 anti-tank squads) with carapace armor.
What makes this idea so special?
Doctrine-wise, you take 3 units of Stormtroopers and 3 units of Grenadiers. Mount them all in Chimeras.
Rest of the points go into Sentinel Squadrons and Leman Russes/Basilisks.

MindSlave
22-10-2007, 17:25
Rest of the points go into Sentinel Squadrons and Leman Russes/Basilisks.

Don't forget the baneblade!

kanluwen
22-10-2007, 18:00
Hell, with the size games you'll be playing you'll have enough points for three Baneblades most likely with that list =P

MindSlave
22-10-2007, 20:10
thanks for the advice. mechanised traitor guard it is