PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this? (Conversion Question)

mistformsquirrel
21-10-2007, 14:48
Hi all >.>;

Well, my army is progressing nicely, but I still have a character left to sculpt...

The only problem is, while my list calls for her to be mounted on a Chaos Warhorse; I have a hard time envisioning her as such. I have a warhorse I could put her on... but like I said, I'm just not feeling the look.

So, I had an alternate idea.

Would it be OK if I mounted her on a cavalry base, and then left blazing footprints behind her to represent a sort of 'daemonic speed' type gift? Or is it just too far off to be OK? (I'm tempted to dump the horse rather than model the mini in a way I don't like)

Lord of Skulls
21-10-2007, 15:06
I would probably allow it, but it would be pushing it a little... Where does the horse attack come from, and such...

What kind of model are you talking about? Perhaps we could come up with some alternative idea?

Crube
21-10-2007, 15:08
Hmmmm... certainly in pick up games, but as Lord of Skulls says, where does the horse's attack come from... It is pushing it but...

Why not.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
21-10-2007, 15:08
It's on a Cavalry base, it's clearly Cavalry! The actual dimensions of the models matter little to me, as long as the base is clearly indicative!

mistformsquirrel
21-10-2007, 15:37
Its my Chaos Lord - I'm waffling between trying to sculpt her myself entirely, or trying to cobble together various bits for a large-scale conversion. (Since there's not a single model I've seen in any range that's suited what I'm looking for - the best I can hope for is using several models together).

The horse attack... I admit, I hadn't thought much about that; but I suppose it could be easily assumed to be an additional unarmed attack made by the Lord thanks to her daemonic speed.

(ie: She's not only as fast as a horse at covering ground - but she's fast enough in combat to deliver an extra punch or kick after a combination of sword attacks)

superknijn
21-10-2007, 16:16
Maybe you could model on some extra spikey or cutty bits, to show that her body on it's own is a weapon when thrown at the enemy.

Dayhan
21-10-2007, 16:35
Once I saw a model converted to ride what appeared to be an Invisible mount. The mount had armor over its body and Armor going up its neck and face. But where you would exspect to see the horse carry on after the armor, there was nothing. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it now but I look really great. He pined it to the base with one of them see throught rods from the round bases. You could hardly see the pin becuase he placed it where the armor cover most of it. the mounted model was carring a whipe and what looked like a flaming shield. Was one of the best conversions I think I've ever seen.

So there's an idea for you. Use a horse to scult some armor on and once dry remove it. Should keep the shape. Not sure how you can stop it sticking to the horse though. Wish I had the skill to do it my sell. This way the mount is left to the person's owm imagination.

Alathir
21-10-2007, 16:39
I would allow it for sure, as long as the base is the correct size. The extra attack could just be her momentum...

Although, good luck at tournaments getting that through.

Urgat
21-10-2007, 16:39
Would I allow it?
Yes, I'd allows any conversion provided they're on the right base.
Would it look good? I'm not so sure... You gotta have some sriously impressive mini pose to achieve the effect right, and even then, I think it'd just look silly in the end.

Gorbad Ironclaw
21-10-2007, 16:47
Although, good luck at tournaments getting that through.

Why? I see people saying they are fine with it, so why should it change for a tournament?

If it's a cool conversion and it's on the right base, I'm sure it will be fine.

mistformsquirrel
21-10-2007, 22:00
I'm honestly totally unworried about tournies - IF I play in one someday, it'll be a long way off; I've yet to actually get to play the game <,< (I'm too obsessive with making sure my army looks good before I go out looking for an opponent <'x'> Hey, if I'm gonna lose, I'm gonna lose *with style!*)

And yeah Urgat, that's going to be the hardest part; making it look good, rather than silly >.<; But I'm crazy and like a challenge! <,<;

theunwantedbeing
21-10-2007, 22:07
I put my sorceress on dark pegasus next to the pegasus she is supposedly mounted on.
The same sort of thing happens for dark steeds.

I dont have any mounted models but I do have the steed models and the unmounted ones.
So the sorceress works like a familiar model, no actual part in the game but lets me know what is what.

The footprints idea seems to push the boundaries of not bothering getting the model you need a little too far to be honest.
having another model on the base is fine of course though.

Archaon
21-10-2007, 22:35
How about you make her a Centaur?

mistformsquirrel
21-10-2007, 22:40
Hmm... that's a cool idea Archaon, this character is already set in stone in my mind, but that doesn't mean I won't use that idea later <o.@> cause to be honest, a Centaur would be a bad-as-heck Beastman Hero to add to the warband at some point in the future.

@Unwantedbeing - I actually do have the horse model >.<; Just... not sure if I like the look it'll have when its all together ya know? I do see what you mean though. I'm going to have to pull this off 'just so' I think... if it looks good, people are usually willing to forgive a lot... so I think the key is going to be making sure it doesn't look like I'm just being cheap.

Chiron
22-10-2007, 08:20
Hmmmm... certainly in pick up games, but as Lord of Skulls says, where does the horse's attack come from... It is pushing it but...

Her demonic tail? :angel:

Dayhan
22-10-2007, 09:28
How about making the bottom half like a snake. Thats very Choas and I've seen quite few conversion where a Hero is part snake. But never one on a calvery base. Would explain the speed and theres lots of bits out there to do it easy. Also wouldn't be hard to model using modeling putty.

mistformsquirrel
22-10-2007, 13:17
Her demonic tail? :angel:

There shall be no mention of felinity in this thread, less I be lynched! >.> IE: HUSH YOU!

<.< *ducks into some bushes to avoid the angry militia*

Duke Raoul
22-10-2007, 13:32
IMO if its not just a cheap proxy but a conversion to enhance the theme of the army then it’s great for the hobby really.

N810
22-10-2007, 14:58
Only if you has a squire behind him banging to empty coconut halves together.... :p
:edit http://www.dailyllama.com/news/2002/images/patsy.jpg :P lol

mistformsquirrel
22-10-2007, 15:02
Only if you has a squire behind him banging to empty coconut halves together.... :p

Oh dammit, you just gave me an idea I think I *HAVE* to use...

I mean, what's a Tzeentchian Chaos Lord without a familiar right? <,<; I figured out where the extra attack comes from now too...

<;_;> I'm going to hell... but then, that was a given before this started <'x'>

phobia
23-10-2007, 19:53
I'd welcome this sort of creativity in any game.

I think this is one of those things that certainly fits within the "spirit" of the rules.

If someone wouldn't let you use it in a tournament, it'd be easy enough to have a replacement model on hand that was actually on a horse.

You should definitely try to fill up the base with other interesting bits though, familiar or not.

silentwitness
24-10-2007, 20:11
another consideration,
why not make your champion almost rising out of/standing on a swarm of something. Similar to Greasus Goldtooth minus the laying down part. That would be a way to incorporate both a familiar of sorts and a reason why it goes so fast.

nurgle_boy
24-10-2007, 21:25
tzeetch eh...

MAGIC TZEENTCH-Y HOVER SHOES!!1!one!1!!

or failing that, just model a dramatic pose of some kind.

In all honesty, if someone doesn't allow you to use it, look at their army, and point out every tiny bit of non-wysiwig there is until they let you use it. If they have no conversions or all is perfectly wysiwig, then they are a silly person anyway.

I say go for it, and it will be interesting to see when done!