PDA

View Full Version : Boozing Through the UK!

Griefbringer
06-09-2005, 18:17
I somehow came up with the above title, thought it was good, and decided that I needed to write some thread with it as a subject line. So I decided to ask for some travel suggestions to the UK (having mostly spend time there on the airports).

So, what sort of travel route in UK you would recommend for a person having ten days of time, decent amounts of money, and a want to see as much of UK and to consume as much alcohol as possible in that time?

This question is of course highly hypotethical, as I am having neither money nor time right now.

Cade
06-09-2005, 18:47
England and Wales (besically one big country) has very poor licsencing hours. Pubs close at 11:30pm on the dot and nightclubs close at 2am.

Scotland has far more relaxed rules, with pubs staying open till 2am and clubs open till 4am.
During the Edinburgh Festival, some pubs/clubs are open till 5am!
And there are a couple of bars in the city that open at 6am, giving you an hour to get something to eat before you start boozing again.

I dunno about Northern Ireland.....although I wouldn't want to drink there for fear of getting my kneecaps shot off.

BozzyB
06-09-2005, 21:33
Blackpool, the cheesy holiday capital of Britain.

Sure it may be cheap and tacky, but thats the whole point, it's cheap. With tons of free nightclubs, and discounted alcohol, it'd be the perfect place to spend a night drinking. However, with the amount of people that hae the same idea, I'd watch for fights and things, and only spend one-or-two nights there, tops.

BozzyB

Wisdom
06-09-2005, 21:46
Yeah licensing laws here are rubbish but that might all be getting changed soon. They have exemptions for certain special occasions. I was working as security on the Gay Pride festival in Manchester the weekend before last and everywhere got later licenses.

I reckon that for best places to go for drinking would have to be blackpool like the man above said. I've heard lots of good stuff about newcastle but I've never been there. My usual drinking spot is Manchester and thereabouts. Nights out are getting a lot rougher. Didn't really notice how bad it was til I worked security at the mardi gras and saw how much more peaceful and relaxed it was compared to Friday night elsewhere. It put things into perspective.

TeddyC
06-09-2005, 21:51
Start one end and zig zag across!

Spend a day down south round london or summat.

Across to maybe Wales.....

Then up to Nottingham (the gun crimes not THAT bad)

Up to Liverpool then Newcastle

Then up to Scotland... Edinburgh is a brilliant city!

Youll get a bit of everything... from big bars and nightclubs in the town centres to smaller real pubs along the way!

Kohhna
06-09-2005, 23:31
Start in Belfast, get really hammered at any of our fine boozing establishments - Laverys, The Crown, The Parlour, The Kitchen Bar, Dukes, Jury's, Copperfields, Witherspoons (as long as you leave before 8 - after that you can't move for pissed chavs) The Bot, The Egg, The Globe, The Fly, The Cresent, Whites, The Morning Star, The Northern Whig, and thats just the center / Studenty bit.

Anyway, get messed up here, catch an early flight to Liverpool, hit The Cavern at about lunchtime then go to The Brewery and ask for Big Dave (if he still works there) he'll show you the rest of the way......

Adlan
07-09-2005, 06:10
If I were you I'd start at the bottom and work your way up, taking over night trains when the pubs are shut, and start a pub crawl in each city you reach. pick up a local while you are there to show you around.

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 08:45
England and Wales (besically one big country) has very poor licsencing hours. Pubs close at 11:30pm on the dot and nightclubs close at 2am.

That almost makes the licensing hours here in Finland look liberal.

Then again, one can always compensate for the earlier closing hours by starting earlier. Or if time is short, by drinking with both hands. :cool:

ironduke
07-09-2005, 09:20
Definitely try sheffield its got a great night life i also recommend Nottingham and i hear Norwich has a lot of pubs and clubs.

McMullet
07-09-2005, 09:38

Scotland has far more relaxed rules, with pubs staying open till 2am and clubs open till 4am.
During the Edinburgh Festival, some pubs/clubs are open till 5am!
And there are a couple of bars in the city that open at 6am, giving you an hour to get something to eat before you start boozing again.

I dunno about Northern Ireland.....although I wouldn't want to drink there for fear of getting my kneecaps shot off.
More importantly, Scotland is jam-packed full of Malt Whisky distilleries.

I recommend the Glenfiddich and Aberlour tours in the Speyside region, you really get enough to get quite drunk, especially if you go on a morning tour. Then all the distilleries on Islay, Laphroaig is good because you can buy extra tasters for 1 a go. If you only have 8 days, I recommend one or the other of these regions.

Yodhrin
07-09-2005, 10:48
Go for the Islay tours, Islay malts are fantastic.

There are really only two places in Britain to drink properly, Scotland and Ireland. Sorry English folks, but for pure boozing we have you beat. If you want to go clubbing as well you should try and fit in a few English towns, they have some shiny clubs.

Spend at least two days in Edinburgh, just for the Ale. If you take an hour or so to plan it out(hint: write it down somewhere, you WILL forget which pub you planned to hit next after the first ten hours or so :p ), you can drink 24/7 for as long as you can take the pace, and while you're here you can go on the Caledonian Brewery tours and sample some Cal 80 and Deuchars IPA, both fantastic ales.

Glasgow has some great live band venues, and there's almost always at least one decent band or DJ playing somewhere, but you have to watch for the chavs over there, they're more aggressive than in the rest of the country :p

Head north and take in the sights, the Highlands and Islands are absolutely stunning, regardless of the time of year(winter is best though, it'll be colder, but that's what the Whisky is for, and you avoid the biting insects). You can go on a distillery tour while you're up there.

Finish off in Ireland. All the stories you hear are true, they really are a friendly people, and that counts double when you get a few drinks in 'em :D It's a great atmosphere in most of their pubs.

McMullet
07-09-2005, 11:02
I'm just worried that 8 days means there's no time to do anything else - I was on Islay for 5 days, we were really rushing around and only managed 4 of the 7 (well, 8 now) distilleries. Plus you have to allow a day each side to get there (it's a tad remote, after all). Speyside, on the other hand, has a higher distillery density and better transport links.

Holidays are al about logistics. Oh, and having fun.

In defence of English pubs - find a good one and you can't go wrong. If you can keep up the pace, then closing time needn't be an issue - even if it is, most large towns will have a couple of late-licensed pubs.

Ravening Wh0re
07-09-2005, 12:27
Hope you'll have saved up more than what is needed for the travel and booze. When you get home, you'll need a liver transplant (and possible a brain transplant too)