PDA

View Full Version : Charging a fleeing unit?

andyfair
22-10-2007, 10:57
I am still quite new to the hobby and gradually picking things up.

This came about yesterday. My Spider Riders were fleeing and they were then charged from behind by another unit from the enemy (some pesky Dwarf Miners).

How do they react? Do they stand and fight or are they automatically wiped out because they are already fleeing?

Thanks

Atrahasis
22-10-2007, 11:50
A fleeing unit will always flee as a charge reaction. See the section titled "subsequent actions of fleeing troops".

Menset
22-10-2007, 12:43
You will have to flee directly away from the Chargers.

If this takes you into a enemy unit with US 5 or more, into impassable terrain or off the board the unit will then be Destroyed.

I had a lone Skeleton archer charge a unit of fleeing Brett Knights and they HAD to flee, they fled off the board and next turn the Skelly crumbled. My opponent wasn't impressed.

TheWarSmith
22-10-2007, 13:07
My friend did that to me with a warmachine crew whose cannon had been destroyed. I fled 3" w/ my cav and they caught me.

Granitearm
22-10-2007, 13:56
On a related note, how does it work when you pursue into a fleeing unit?
Do they roll to flee again? Or are they caught flat footed and run down where they stand?

Atrahasis
22-10-2007, 14:07
A fleeing unit can only flee as a charge reaction, and there is no apparent limit on the number of times a unit can flee in a phase or turn.

warlord hack'a
22-10-2007, 15:00
the only limit mentioned (that I can recall) is when unit A charges unit B, unit B flees, then unit A redirects into C, who also flees after which unit B is again the closest unit to A. Now A can declare again a charge against B and B in this case is not allowed to flee again..

TheDarkDaff
23-10-2007, 00:32
So you can't flee from the same unit twice in a turn but otherwise your models can run to their little plastic hearts content.

Crazy Harborc
23-10-2007, 01:09
the only limit mentioned (that I can recall) is when unit A charges unit B, unit B flees, then unit A redirects into C, who also flees after which unit B is again the closest unit to A. Now A can declare again a charge against B and B in this case is not allowed to flee again..

Um....could you show a link OR just a location in the rulebook?? My opponents will insist on one, if I bring it up.

warlord hack'a
23-10-2007, 07:27
I think it is in the FAQ/errata (rummages around...) yes here it is: page 3, second question, under 'enemy in the way'.

Bortus
23-10-2007, 16:53
I think it is in the FAQ/errata (rummages around...) yes here it is: page 3, second question, under 'enemy in the way'.

Warlords right and it's how we do it here. This does bring up a question that I have always had though. When fleeing directly away from a charging unit how does one properly measure such things. As I have never been to an "official" touranment of any kind we kinda approximate the flee direction as close as possible but if I wanted to be right on the money how do I go about properly measuring this?

Bortus
23-10-2007, 17:26
Warlords right and it's how we do it here. This does bring up a question that I have always had though. When fleeing directly away from a charging unit how does one properly measure such things. As I have never been to an "official" touranment of any kind we kinda approximate the flee direction as close as possible but if I wanted to be right on the money how do I go about properly measuring this?

After posting my question it became obvious that I should clarify what I'm trying to say. We know that fleeing is directed away from the center of the enemy unit charging. What I should have said instead of "how is it measured" was when fleeing you must move directly away from the center of the charging unit so how is that measured? How does one determine the "exact" path away from said chargers center?

theunwantedbeing
23-10-2007, 17:29
Page 19 details how you resolve fleeing from a charge.

Enemy in the way is detailed on page 22.

You do not need to read page 40 unless you are fleeing from combat.

You "determine" the path by picking the point in the centre of the highest unit strength enemy unit.
Draw a line from the centre of that unit to the centre of your own unit, and you then flee along that line.

Pretty damned obvious really.

Bortus
24-10-2007, 00:45
Page 19 details how you resolve fleeing from a charge.

Enemy in the way is detailed on page 22.

You do not need to read page 40 unless you are fleeing from combat.

You "determine" the path by picking the point in the centre of the highest unit strength enemy unit.
Draw a line from the centre of that unit to the centre of your own unit, and you then flee along that line.

Pretty damned obvious really.

You know what? If this is such an annoying topic to you or people like me that aren't afraid to ask questions that we aren't sure of bother you why don't you just refrain from posting anything at all?