PDA

View Full Version : How long the games development takes time?

kheirakh
22-10-2007, 11:59
Hello,

I just wondered, how long does a new army takes time from the making of art to hit the shelves? Oh god, the grammar is killing me.. Hope you understood..

Well, I'll explain a little bit more: Let's say that new Dark elves are coming some day.. How long time does it take to them to be developed: making of concept art, sculpting, rule making, making the minis, printing the book, hitting the shelves of stores..?

Thanks!

Ravenous
22-10-2007, 12:21
The models are done a year or more in advance, the codex/army book itself takes only 3 months to write.

Playtesting is anywhere from 1 to 3 months depending on problems and balance.

GavT
24-10-2007, 13:53
Work on a project starts roughly 2 years ahead of release. Conceptual work begins the process (if needed) and then the project and release planning happens. The first 'real work' that is done is the sculpting of plastics, which starts 18+ months in advance of release due to the long design and manufacturing lead times involved. Obviously at this stage Games Dev is plotting out the book and roughing out any additions or changes to the army list. A book is in development and production for 6-9 months, and then we must allow several more months for printing and shipping. Art usually starts arounda year or so before release and takes roughly 3 months.

This is for an army book-sized project, obviousdly rulebooks or new things (like Apocalypse) have a lot more planning and R+D time while we work out what we're trying to achieve!

Cheers,

GAV

Master Vampire
24-10-2007, 15:41
This is for an army book-sized project, obviousdly rulebooks or new things (like Apocalypse) have a lot more planning and R+D time while we work out what we're trying to achieve!

Did you just say you're part of Games Development? :D

Yeah, I think it takes some years too. But it depends. Wood Elves had Ogre Kingdoms come before it, just because they needed more time to get the new edition done. I guess it just takes time. :)

Cheers,
-MV

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-10-2007, 15:58
Gav have been part of the studio for as long as I can remember, so yes, he did.

Of course, I have trouble remembering what I was doing last week, so... :p

Harry
24-10-2007, 17:56
Work on a project starts roughly 2 years ahead of release. Conceptual work begins the process (if needed) and then the project and release planning happens. The first 'real work' that is done is the sculpting of plastics, which starts 18+ months in advance of release due to the long design and manufacturing lead times involved. Obviously at this stage Games Dev is plotting out the book and roughing out any additions or changes to the army list. A book is in development and production for 6-9 months, and then we must allow several more months for printing and shipping. Art usually starts arounda year or so before release and takes roughly 3 months.

Cheers,

GAV
"Project and release planning" you say? You mean you don't just put on a silly hat and trust to luck. :D

logan054
24-10-2007, 18:12
"Project and release planning" you say? You mean you don't just put on a silly hat and trust to luck. :D

That wouldnt surprise me :D

kheirakh
24-10-2007, 22:18

Cheers,

GAV

Thank you so much for the answer! :)

zak
24-10-2007, 23:28
I think that many people underestimate just how much time is spent on a project like an army book. The projected date for DE's is approx early 2009 so the initial work on the book would have started early this year. Playtesting is far more difficult than it first appears as you don't just have to balance the army against another, but I think about 15 or 16 at present. This is a lot of time and effort and many people begrudge small mistakes entering a book, when in essence it's almost impossible to iron out all of the flaws without spending too much time on one project.

Cacodemon
25-10-2007, 00:24
It would make a good White Dwarf article to get behind the scenes of design process, I think.

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-10-2007, 06:24
Zak, it's not the small flaws, it's the big ones that gets noticed the moment the book is released ;)

Harry
25-10-2007, 10:10
I think that many people underestimate just how much time is spent on a project like an army book. The projected date for DE's is approx early 2009 so the initial work on the book would have started early this year. Playtesting is far more difficult than it first appears as you don't just have to balance the army against another, but I think about 15 or 16 at present. This is a lot of time and effort and many people begrudge small mistakes entering a book, when in essence it's almost impossible to iron out all of the flaws without spending too much time on one project.

Its not just the book, as Gav says, The lead in times for the plastics are also much longer than folks imagine. I know sculptors had already started on the minis for the Dark Elves back in January this year.

It must be an unbelievable juggling act not only to get it balanced against all the other armies but also to internally balance it so that there are not some units which are obvious. must have choices whilst others never get picked.

Binabik15
25-10-2007, 10:30
Yeah, but the whole release of new stuff almost exclusively with a new book still seems strange to me. I mean I´d certainely buy stuff that comes out a year, three years, whatever, after the book was released (as long as I like the looks of it, of course).

I don´t think they (GW) want to "milk" us with the old sets as long as possible and release schedules are important, but I´d prefer them a bit of this, a piece of that and oh, maybe that, too. They´re breaking this mold a bit lately, but still. Are the "hype" sales really greater that releasing new models when they´re done and desired by the fans?

Just thinking...

zak
25-10-2007, 10:43
I'm not saying that the GW developers are perfect and I am one who thinks that they made several glaring errors in the Orc and Goblin book. However, I was just trying to point out that the process is a long one and is very involved. Some books/development are better than others, but its still a very difficult process that someone who has never been involved in project development would find hard to believe.

the1stpip
25-10-2007, 11:17
please lets not have a go at Gav. He is good enough to come on here occasionally to let us in on things. I for one would like that to continue.

reds8n
25-10-2007, 13:06
please lets not have a go at Gav. He is good enough to come on here occasionally to let us in on things. I for one would like that to continue.

Fully seconded.:)

And I agree that this would be an excellant feature for a WD or even as an expanded article on the web.

Harry
25-10-2007, 13:15
I am trying to pull just such an article together even as we speak for the next Watchman.
If for no other reason than to better inform people about just how much blood, sweat and tears goes in to these projects.

Who's has had go at Gav?
You point them out to me and I'll take them out back for a good kicking. :D

reds8n
25-10-2007, 13:23
I am trying to pull just such an article together even as we speak for the next Watchman.
If for no other reason than to better inform people about just how much blood, sweat and tears goes in to these projects.

Watchman... what's that ? :angel:
<space for further plug>

"blood sweat and tears"..hmm... GW products : not suitable for vegetarians.

Bubble Ghost
25-10-2007, 13:28
You mean you don't just put on a silly hat and trust to luck. :D

Worked for me. *coughMiddenlandarmycough*

THE CHIEF
25-10-2007, 13:34
please lets not have a go at Gav. He is good enough to come on here occasionally to let us in on things. I for one would like that to continue.Fully seconded.:)

And I agree that this would be an excellant feature for a WD or even as an expanded article on the web.

It would be a good idea for an article, if WD was actually worth reading!

*shakes fist at Gav* :angel: