PDA

View Full Version : I want to start a 40K army

diehard0123
22-10-2007, 21:20
I am a fantasy player and I was thinking of starting an Imperial guard army. Is this a good army to start 40K with? I was told by a friend that they are like the Orcs and Goblins of the 40K world.

Mojaco
22-10-2007, 21:26
If you like painting tons of models, sure. General rule = pick what you like best. It's the best way to ensure you stick to your choice till it's finished.

However, guard are not considered a beginners army. They take a lot of time to paint right and since their codex is among the older ones it's starting to show cracks. Have someone help you with your choices so you don't waste your time with Ogryns or whatnot and you'll be fine (unless you love the models ofcourse).

krag123
22-10-2007, 21:35
DieHard,

Technically Space Orcs would be like the fantacy orcs ;), but i assume your friend meant with it being a hord army. And i would agree that the IG is definatly or can definatly be a hord army.

The IG are definatly a fun army to play, they are definatly not the easiest army to play. If you want an easy time of play people typically go with Space Marines, or maybe Necrons as they have the best stats and best troop weapons around. (Ok Tau now win the best rifle around, but thats only if they hit).

The IG have alot of veriaty to them. And offer alot of options to any comander, however sometimes those options may be a bit overwhelming, and i would have to say even more so to some one who has not played the long range death that is 40k.

I would not say that the IG are the easiest army to start with in a new system, but you have to start some where, so go with what you want to play with.

diehard0123
22-10-2007, 22:36
So, what would a good army as far as space marines be?

mistformsquirrel
22-10-2007, 22:45
Well it really depends on what you're looking for.

Guard have *MANY* variations - which is very cool; but also can be tough to come to grips with. Especially since some of their doctrines look cool; but are... less-than-functional.

With Guard, you can go with tons of tanks, tons of infantry, a blend of the two; even toss in some 'elite' infantry in the form of Stormtroopers. You can be almost completely static, or you can go Mechanized and scoot around the battlefield.

Your main disadvantage is that your ordinary Joe Guardsman is T3 with a 5+ Save; and unlike Fantasy, there are no 'save modifiers' - so that 5+ save just gets ignored by the vast majority of weapons out there. However that's not to say guardsmen are horrible - they seem weak, but you get a lot of them; and they can carry a bunch of heavy weapons.

I obviously can't recommend a specific composition to you, I'm too much of a newbie myself to be confident in that respect - but check out the Tactics section, and I'm sure people can help.

Btw, if I had to categorize Guard - it'd be closer to Empire from Fantasy than Orcs; big guns, lots of 'average' troops; not puny, but not above average either.

As for Space Marines - if you're curious about them; they're also quite flexible; and generally require fewer models than most armies. They have probably some of the best basic infantry in the game; their 3+ armor save is actually fairly tough to negate... But they don't have as good of armored support as Guard; and they are individually expensive. They are however quite forgiving as T4 with a 3+ save is pretty darn resilient! They also have BS4, which means more often than not, when Marines put fire on a target, its going to get hit. I can't honestly think of a fantasy analog to Space Marines; they're like Chaos Warriors stat-wise... but better because their armor is harder to weaken; and their shooting is just as good as their up-close fighting ability.

There's a great many ways to build either army honestly; so I recommend getting further opinions; but good luck to you!

Repzik
22-10-2007, 22:46
well space marines are the army themselves, but do u mean chapter? thats completly up to you, the best way to choose is to pick the chapter that you think is coolest and then have some one help you format it the way you want, thats what i did for Tau (another army) and i have never looked back since, hope that helped. and once you start an army i would get involved in a gaming club, there awsome

tanglethorn
22-10-2007, 22:46
The Rainbow Warriors. Oh man they are so cool. :eek:

The UnNamed One
23-10-2007, 02:23
Guard are IMO one of the more expensive armys to collect if you plan on using alot of foot troopers, also alot of painting. That why my guard are becoming a more tank heavy Grenadier (ST's as troops) army. And Chaos are fairly similiar to marines, they lose things like whirlwinds but gain daemic things like Daemons and Possessed. But for choosing a chapter/legion, just flick through that Codex or the GW site, and when you think in your head "Hey, they look cool" go with it, or you could even create your own custom Legion/chapter.

Gobskrag 'Eadbasha
23-10-2007, 02:25
Um... The orcs & goblins of the 40k universe are, well, orks.

He who is doom
23-10-2007, 02:31
if you want a good army then you might want to thik about the new chaos as that would be a good army for a new person.
guard are very model heavy i once tried to start a guard army after looking at my first 32 models and realizing that i was 3 short of one troop choice.

Xenocidal Maniac
23-10-2007, 02:38
I would say Guard is a perfectly good beginner's army. The learning curve is a bit steeper than, say, marines, but I don't think it should take you long to figure them out.

Because of the unit selection and doctrines, they are a hugely flexible army, so you can play them anyway you like. You can kit them out with doctrines and gear and make them elite, or you can run them as a horde army.

The main thing to remember is that the Guard's strength lies in its big guns. Make sure in games of 1500 pts or more that you are taking your full compliment of heavy support choices. Two Leman Russ Battle Tanks and a Basilisk, or three Leman Russ tanks will take you very far.

I have both Space Marines and Guard, and, in my opinion, at least, Guard is the more fun and more rewarding army to play. They have so much more character and versatility than marines. Marines are the same thing every game... Guard is... more than that.

JimmyP0567
23-10-2007, 02:58
I would say Guard is a perfectly good beginner's army. The learning curve is a bit steeper than, say, marines, but I don't think it should take you long to figure them out.

This man speaks the truth.

diehard0123
23-10-2007, 03:17
Great! Thanks for the input guys, this helps me alot. One other option I was throwing around is Dark Angels. Would this be a better selection for a starter army or am I looking at a more difficult army to play? Cost is not much of a factor for me, I am just looking for a great looking army that is easy to learn and play. I might add that I have never really been that keen on space marines (look wise) and tau and eldar are not very appealing to me.

WorLord
23-10-2007, 06:59
It all boils down to what style of play you like - do you prefer charging into CC as soon as possible (Orks, Nids), standing back and shooting up your enemy (Tau, IG), or a force that can do either depending on how you choose your list (Marines, Eldar). It's no fun to build an army that requires tactics that you don't enjoy playing.

He who is doom
28-10-2007, 00:30
you should try and watch some games that are played. do you want to see an army that will steamroll everything or something that requaires no skill