PDA

View Full Version : Casting plastics question

Iceheart2112
23-10-2007, 04:51
For a preface, I don't have the means, money, or know-how to produce plastic models, or casts, or whatever.

That being said, if one did have the knowledge and was able to do so, what is the ruling or precedent for that sort of thing; for example, if I was doing a lot of jetbikes, vypers, and eldar tanks and needed the shuriken cannon upgrade for all of them. I buy a shruiken cannon jetbike box, get the metal bit and create a cast, using it to make a plastic shuriken cannon bit. I then take it to a tournament or something similar. Would it be legal?

ChaosMaster
23-10-2007, 04:57
Vypers, Falcons, Wave Serpents all come with the heavy weapon sprue which has a plastic shuriken cannon on it. Vypers have one on their model-specific sprue so the kit comes with two of that weapon. Since the Eldar re-releases of last year, most people are just using the plastic shuriken cannons from the aforementioned kits to do their upgrades. It's easy to cut and glue the plastic. In the US, I believe that the Eldar heavy weapon sprue is only $4 from bitz service.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
23-10-2007, 05:02
Actually I believe the term you're looking for is "illegal". GeeDub makes money off of selling you parts that they produces, and if you buy one of theose parts and produce your own, I'm pretty sure that you are running afoul of some intellectual property rights. There's a good chance I'm mistaken, or the laws may differ from nation to nation, but at the very least you're not supporting the company that produces a product that you obviously enjoy and use. So why wouldn't you want to show your appreciation by patronizing said organization. Yes, I realize that it's expensive. My Assault cannons for my Land Speeders cost about $2.50 each, plus the $7.00 shipping from the factory. But you could make your own from scratch if you don't have the money, or simply wait until you can offord it. This seems like a shady deal, I would advise against it.

Sashu
23-10-2007, 05:02
The act of copying a cast is illegal. Not as in against the tourney rules, but illegal as in games workshop's legal department gets your ass hauled to jail illegal.

Iceheart2112
23-10-2007, 05:06
Cool. I was just wondering. I've seen some folks do odd conversions, or where they've make casts of other things for use (clear stealth suits and the like).

The Orange
23-10-2007, 05:08
I would be more concerned with the legal bit about copying GW items. But if your worried about a tournament, just don't say anything. Though IMO, it wouldn't really be a problem, I don't think tournament organizers would care that much, as long as they look the part.

Xenocidal Maniac
23-10-2007, 06:29
Wait a minute. I believe that if you buy a GW product, make a cast of it, and reproduce parts for your own personal use, it is not illegal. At least in the US, I believe that falls under fair use.

But I am not sure. Any IP litigation lawyers in the house?

Personally, I think if you buy something, it is your property, and you are free to do with it what you will as long as it does not directly compete with GW in any material way. That's just good old fashioned private property theory. You pay for it, it's yours, and what you do with it in your own home is your own business.

fengor
23-10-2007, 07:33
Well i'm no lawyer but the rule of thumb converters seem to use around here is: As long as you dont make money out of it and selling the stuff its fair game

BrainFireBob
23-10-2007, 08:26
In the US, it's legal, given certain provisos, under "Fair Use."

In Britain, I believe it is unilaterally illegal.

In the US, if you purchase a product, you gain certain limited rights to that product. If you buy a CD, for instance, you are entitled to make a certain number of electronic copies- which is why you can rip songs and upload them to iPods, a process requiring the creation of two electronic copies.

As long as you don't make a profit- since the right to sale and benefits is reserved by IP laws, don't provide the product to others- since the right to distribution is independently reserved by IP laws, and retain your copy of the original- your ownership thereof giving you any rights you have to possess copies- you are fine, Stateside.

Check your local Fair Use laws.

That's why certain items and services are almost always US based, if you've noticed- things like Battlewagon bitz were allowed to re-distribute at a profit bitz that GW itself did not provide. If GW had ever offered plastic bitz orders, Battlewagon would have had to desist immediately and forthwith, since they would then be infringing on GW's IP.

To extend the CD analogy, as long as you own the original CD you ripped, your electronic copies are considered, for want of a better term, "natural extensions" of that CD. If you sell or give away that CD, you are legally required to delete all electronic copies forthwith, as the new owner of the CD now is the sole possessor of rights to owning electronic copies of that CD in particular.

Make sense?

philbrad2
23-10-2007, 09:38
Making copies of any GW sourced part/mini/kit infringes on their IP and is illegal whether for personal or commercial gratification. If you want to talk about copying take it elsewhere. Think this thread is about done.

PhilB
:chrome:
+ WarSeer Mod Team +