PDA

View Full Version : Lots of ambush

khorne666
23-10-2007, 11:44
Just looking for another opinion on the idea of keeping khazrak and 3 beast herds in ambush to drop in half way through the battle but keeping models on the field that could very easily be a mortal list so as to trick the enemy into thinking that you are in fact playing a mortal list. Basically the idea is to tie up the majority of troops in close combat with things like big, chosen units and spawn and then drop in a load of beasts to either flank charge or let enemies flee into.

SkawtheFalconer
23-10-2007, 15:46
It's a good way to lose friends, I would suggest! :P

Joking aside, its a very sneaky idea - wouldn't it be fairly obvious that you didn't have enough mortal stuff on the board to make 2k (or whatever you play) though?

Red_Duke
23-10-2007, 16:03
Skaw makes a pertinent point - at 2k you'd have just 2 other heroes max on the table (something ive never seen in anything other than a khorne army), and at rock bottom bare minimum a quarter of your army not on the table. Might work against someone who's playing their first game of warhammer ever, but otherwise most people are probably gonna twig on that one id say... Also - youre not considering that with your points off the table that the now points wise outnumbering enemy is quite likely to just spank your main force, while your ambushers are just sitting around - especially one thats either magic or CC heavy. Chaos may be good in CC, but stuff like lizards will give them a run for their money. Also, any other CC orientated army will be in the middle of the table by turn 3 chopping you up - khazrak then comes on at a table edge, and if hes lucky gets to see some action by turn 6.

So, bit of a waste imo - would possibly work ok against gunlines, but other than that i think its generally more effective to have your models doing stuff for the whole game...

Chiungalla
23-10-2007, 16:08
This will only work as long as your opponent doesn't ask where your general is.

And I think that you have to say, which type of army you use, and how many ambushers you have, before the game starts. But that only may be a gentlemans agreement around here.

Khorghan
23-10-2007, 16:09
if you take 4 spawns to hold up the enemy it could work, spawns are good at that and maybe get a big tough unit of chosen to hold up the units that will tear apart the spawn right away. MoS on spawn will allow them to move faster which would be good for this

khorne666
23-10-2007, 16:46
Actually I do play a khorne army, well, any units that can have mark of khorne do but I always have an undivided general. And as for the lack of minatures, I currently play an archaeon's pub crawl army made worse by the fact that 2 of my four units are chosen. I would assume that you would not have to declare what units are set up in ambush as the help with dwarfs (or something like that, i forget) article on the GW websiteactually mentions that it's a good idea to keep some miners next to the table even if you are not useing them so your opponent thinks you are and the rules are very similar.

MarcoPollo
24-10-2007, 03:04
I doubt you'll be able to trick an opponent into not noticing you have an ambushing force. For starters, chaos really sucks up the points when you use mortals. And trying to create the illusion of a lot of troops is impossible with mortals.

Also, Kazrak I think is bet used with alot of fast shock troops like chosen khonre knights, dragon ogres and minotuars of khorne in the front, and a solid line in the enemies deployment zone.

Mordante
24-10-2007, 19:46
This will only work as long as your opponent doesn't ask where your general is.

And I think that you have to say, which type of army you use, and how many ambushers you have, before the game starts. But that only may be a gentlemans agreement around here.

Not that I would ever do this, but I've heard this comment above before and want to know where it comes from. THere is nothing I can find that says you have to tell your opponent how many units you are ambushing. It says that you have to note what units are ambushing before deployment starts. I can mark on my army list and not say anything to my opponent as to how many units that will be. Is there something I missed that says you have to say? I would say that you have to say if you are playing a mortal, beast or deamon army before the game starts. That would be like your opponent saying he is playing elves. What elves? Wood, Dark, High? Or Humans. Empire, Brettonians, DOW?

Rodman49
24-10-2007, 22:06
I'm not really a fan of splitting forces, having said that wouldn't you want to have tons of inexpensive troops for your main force to distract your enemy till your ambush arrives? Like marauders on foot or something.